Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Soccer prospects discussion threads Part II

Closed Thread

Old
11-13-2006, 03:37 AM
Evilo

vCash: 500
Soccer prospects discussion threads Part II

Since we had to close the other one, here is the new thread to discuss soccer prospects.

Old
11-13-2006, 03:57 AM
helicecopter

Why?

My heart is broken..

Old
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
helicecopter

See Evilo, the new thread doesn't work, we need the old one back!

Old
11-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Evilo

Hehe, I can't do anything about it.. the server load asks for it.

Anyway, some news about a good old prospect Anthony Le Tallec.

As you may or not know, he's playing for offensive team Sochaux these days.
After starting injured and seeing a few minutes lately, he scored two goals at Lorient this weekend (two goals in 2 minutes in fact).

I sure hope he develops.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Evilo

Karim Benzema was asked by Algeria to play for their team.

Karim's answer : "Algeria is the country of my parents. I'll play for France".

This guy is damn good everywhere, even in front of the mics.

Old
12-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
I read a lot of very good comments on Ben Arfa's performance yesterday in CL... seemed to have impressed a lot, with a team play and a new maturity. We'll see his future but he seemed to have find the right direction, finally!

Old
12-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

I was wondering if any Barca supporters (les Habs, and anyone else) had any information on the 15 year old Israeli, Guy Assulin currently playing in Cadete 'A', I believe. He is a left winger and I've heard glowing reports about him being another Messi but nothing specific, and obviously I haven't seen him live. So, I was just looking for any information or possibly clips. Any help appreciated!

EDIT: Actually, after browsing the net for like 2 hours I found some clips of Assulin: http://www.airfutbol.com/videoassulin3.htm

He looks impressive for a 15 year old. Hopefully he breaks into the first team in the next couple years.

Last edited by Jersey Fresh: 12-08-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Old
12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Remdawg911

Is Theo Walcott still considered a prospect? And Aiden McGeady is the future of Ireland.

Old
01-01-2007, 06:56 AM
gary69

Uefa's website has a series of articles on mainly younger (around 20) but already somewhat succesful players to watch out for the year 2007. One per country with a short description on each player:

HTTP://WWW.UEFA.COM/FOOTBALLEUROPE/N...ID=489783.HTML

Old
01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
les Habs

Well a Barça youth side just beat the likes of Espanyol and Benfica in a big international youth tournament. The side has 12 year olds many of whom are already known. This was the same tournament that Iniesta participated in years ago. Anyway, I mentioned this kid a few months back who was getting transported to and from the club for training and who was supposed to be really good. He name was Gerard Deulofeu and he's definately looking and playing like what I heard. So I have a clip for you:

http://www.airfutbol.com/videogerard2.htm

So you probably noticed the black kid with #8 and Eto'o. Well I think that kid is Moussima and he's from Cameroon. Eto'o brought him to the club with some other kids.

I'm telling you guys, Barça has a lot of kids who should be making the jump to the first team. Guys like dos Santos and Bojan are already well known and they're only 16-17. There's also Iago though (who is I've heard better than Merida), Guy Assulin (young Isreali kid) and Thiago. The crazy thing is that all of these guys have similar skills. Anyway, keep your eyes and ears open for these guys.

Old
01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Alexandre Pato has just got off to a blistering start at the South American U-20 championship. He scored 2 in a 4-2 Brazil victory. He's only 17.

Old
01-11-2007, 09:19 PM
mole

Flashback time! Time to nocturnally quote'n'cut my way through my old list (from summer '04) and add a few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
First of all, I'll disclaim this list by admitting it is a rather weak crop of prospects. The cutoff date of 1.1.82 instead of 1.7.81 excluded at least 7 prospects who would have made the top end of this list, among them Esbjerg's Jan Kristiansen & Tommy Bechmann (now Bochum), FCM's technical Egyptian (and possibly soon Danish) striker Mohamed Zidan and Stephan Andersen, the goalie who moved to Charlton this summer. As such, with few of these prospects really standing out, I've found it very hard to decide their rankings, and have left off a few names other might have put in there.
Still rings true, even if the top 4 also flopped compared to expectations.

Quote:
1. Thomas Kahlenberg, 21, Brøndby.
With the current system and the lack of central offensive talent, Kahlenberg could be put into the attacking midfielder role on the national team in a few years' time.
Definitely earned that no. 1 spot and is a NT regular.

Quote:
2. Jesper Bech, 22, FC Copenhagen.
Earned the 2nd place spot through a terrific spring of '04, but trailed off next season, eventually leaving for Malmö in the summer of '05. That never worked out, and he found his way back to Denmark, and Esbjerg, where he's been allowed to be a full-time striker for the first time since that prolific spring run, and has refound his goalscoring form with 8 tallies so far.
1 2

Quote:
3. Lasse Qvist, 17, PSV Eindhoven.
Placing such a young player so high on this list may seem unorthodox or even downright dumb, but with the amount of hype sorrounding him, he has earned it. He's somewhat of a known name in Denmark, and his development will be watched closely.
Not a bust yet (still only 19), but has had barely any first team action, neither with PSV or FC Copenhagen, which he returned to in '06. Did make 3 substitute appearances in the low-key Royal League in the fall, but didn't raise any eyebrows.

Quote:
4. Dennis Cagara, 19, Hertha BSC.
In January 2004 the youngster, who has Filipino roots, signed for Berlin-based Hertha, and joined up with the main squad for the second half of the season. He managed to feature in 8 games during that spell, and in the meantime has featured for the Danish U-21 and U-20 teams, even scoring once for the former.
However, as the only proven left-footed Danish left back behind Niclas Jensen, he could soon find himself in contention for the senior national team, and many predict a good future for him there.
Hasn't actually featured in another HBSC game in the 2½ years that have passed, but remains in the first team squad. Recently returned from achilles problems after 7 months out. Has been linked to a return to Brøndby, and admitted that he's open to the possibility, but still has another 1½ years on his Hertha-contract.

Quote:
5. Mads Timm, 19, Manchester United.
Mads Timm became a household name amongst Danish football fans when he in the summer of 2001, just 15 years old, moved on a free transfer from OB to giants Manchester United.
He was later awarded with a big contract this spring, and the young striker, who has also been a regular on the U-18 national team, remains a big hope for the future of Danish football.
Bust. After finishing his jail sentence and getting through an unsuccessful loan spell in Norway, Mads returned to Denmark in the summer, rejoining OB. He's been almost everpresent, racking up 24 appearances, but only scored 4 goals.
Still could become a good striker in the Danish league, but probably no more.

Quote:
6. Jeppe Curth, 20, Feeyenoord Rotterdam.
Curth is another offensive phenom who made the move abroad very early in his career.
.. and another that returned home after not cutting it.
Probable bust. Has been average up front for AaB since returning, but hasn't always had a lot of help. I still see some potential in him, but he may well also be "just" a career Danish league striker.

Quote:
7. Jakob Poulsen, 21, Esbjerg.
He may not have top 10 talent of the listed prospects, but is a hard worker and already arguably the best at his position in the league.
Moved on to Heerenveen last winter and has featured fairly often, making 22 appearances in all competitions. Hard worker, and seems to have earned a spot at the Dutch club, although I haven't been following him too closely.

Quote:
8. Michael Krohn-Dehli, 21, RKC Waalwijk (formerly Ajax).
Is now with a less profile club where he will hopefully get the necessary playing time to make him a good top flight player. Was also one of the invitees for the pre-Euro 2004 training.
Spent two years at Waalwijk and impressed enough for Ajax to buy him back. He's only made three substitute appearances this fall, though, and hasn't been anywhere near NT contention, so I don't quite get that move. Probably not an NT player in the future, either.

Quote:
9. Johan Absalonsen, 18, Brøndby.
Absalonsen is a very exciting young winger who has been a part of the Brøndby first team for over a year. He's making a name for himself as a good passer with good speed, excellent ball control and pin-point accurate crosses.
A full 90 minutes a week is still hard to come by for Johan in a strong Brøndby side, but he continues to develop under Michael Laudrup and will most likely soon be considered an impact player in the domestic league.
Never quite cut it at Brøndby, and the bizarro summer shopping spree forced him out. Signed a pre-contract deal with OB for this winter but the clubs then pushed forward the transfer to conclude it in August, and Absalonsen has impressed at his new club. Still an exciting one to watch for the future.

Quote:
10. Morten "Duncan" Rasmussen, 19, AGF.
Judging him this early in his career wouldn't be fair to him, of course, but he has so far not become the prolific striker that AGF had hoped. He remains a promising talent, though, and is expected to become a top striker in the danish league, putting his strength and powerful finishing to good use.
Moved to Brøndby last winter, and was expected to prove himself as a top striker for the title challengers. Had severe trouble finding the net, however, and then came out the losing party in a duel with Nicklas Bendtner for the starting spot with the U21's at the Euro Champs in the early summer.
Started the current season in good goalscoring form, until he sustained ligament damage while playing around on a waterlogged pitch (link, picture of the actual moment the injury happens) and missed the rest of the fall. I expect him to prove himself in the spring, and perhaps move on in the summer, as Brøndby seems an awful place to be right now.

Quote:
11. Sebastian Svärd, 21, Arsenal.
Bandied around between clubs (5 in 4 seasons was it?), his current being Münchengladbach, where he has yet to feature for the first team. Will probably never amount to much in a decent league.

Quote:
12. Morten Bergvold, 20, FC Copenhagen.
Bergvold has not had much playing time in his time with FC Copenhagen but has made the best of it, showing great passing creativity and an excellent work rate from any position in midfield.
Never got his fair shot, imo, although he did feature in 96 games (including 3 in the CL) during his time with FCK. Was sold to Livorno a few days ago, and it will be interesting to see how he does there. Not many Danes have succeeded in Italy, but Martin appears confident. Still some hope that he could turn into a decent player, perhaps on the fringe of the NT (ala Daniel Jensen).

Quote:
13. Leon Andreasen, 21, AGF.
Moved up my list the following year but his move to Werder Bremen proved a failure, all in all, spending most of his time on the bench. Moved to Mainz last week, and will look to restart his career there.

Quote:
14. Jonas Kamper, 21, Brøndby.
Moved to the Bundesliga this summer with Bielefeld and has been crucial to their surprisingly positive 1st half of the season. Shot to stardom with his 4th round overtime screamer to defeat Bayern München 2-1, and made his full NT debut (already owning the record for most junior-NT games) in a friendly against the Czechs in the last NT game of the year.

Quote:
15. Michael Jakobsen, 18, PSV Eindhoven.
Still young, and has shown plenty of potential, but has also seemed a little too erratic and "average" to me, while playing with AaB. Too early to count him out, though, as he could well mature to be the best defender of his generation (yes, that includes Agger).

Quote:
16. Mikkel Thygesen, 19, FC Midtjylland.
Got a deserved move abroad (to the Bundesliga, where else?) this week, signing for Borussia Münchengladbach for approximately €1.5m. Has had a great autumn and was simply getting too good for the Danish league. A great all-round all-action midfielder, expect good things from him. Also made his NT debut in the Czech Rep game, and should definitely have a future with there, possibly already now competing with the likes of Würtz and D.Jensen for playing time.

Quote:
17. Mads Beierholm, 19, Vejle BK.
Was heavily hyped when he made his league debut in the top flight for Vejle at age 16 a few years back. When they were demoted a season ago, he decided to stay with them rather than take up several offers from Italy
We'll never know if that was a wise decision, but Mads had trouble coping with the psychological pressure of professional football, and has completely dropped off the radar.

Quote:
18. Kevin Stuhr-Ellegaard, 21, Manchester City.
Career backup, most likely. Appears too content with backup duties for my liking. Currently with Hertha Berlin (ANOTHER one in Germany!).

Quote:
19. Niki Zimling, 19, Brøndby.
Was perceived as a huge talent but his stock has since dropped and he has struggled to make the BIF first team on a regular basis.
Continued to struggle for playing time despite showing plenty of promise, so he joined Esbjerg in the summer of 2005 and sparkled, becoming a key part of the team and one of the top central midfield performers in the league, while adding a goalscoring touch to his game. Udinese have been attempting to sign him in the past weeks, but haven't met his club's evaluation of him yet.

Quote:
20. Rasmus Würtz, 20, AaB.
Has been a regular with AaB for a while now, and is often among their best players on any given match day.
Placing Rasmus this low was a clear mistake, as he's done nothing but impress in recent years. Has featured in four senior NT games (although all friendlies) and has been hailed as Thomas Gravesen's successor. Doesn't quite sport the all-round style of the Celtic player, but is a reliable player with a good passing range and excellent work rate.

Quote:
Joker: Kasper Schmeichel, 18, Manchester City.
The name rings a bell, no? Kasper is still very young, especially for a goalie, but has been hyped as a future hope in net for Denmark. He has a huge name to live up to, though, and this could prove to be a barrier in his development.
Hasn't had any major breakthrough but has shown signs of a positive mindset, happily going out on loan to smaller teams (most recently Falkirk a few days ago) to gain experience and hope to impress. I still think he could be the NT #1 some years down the road, but there's no need to rush him.

Quote:
Joker: Danilo Arrieta, 17, AGF (formerly AGF (? - 2002) & Valencia (2002-2004)).
Nick-named "The Chilean Michael Laudrup", this young forward has heaps of talent, but failed to adjust with Spanish giants Valencia and has now returned to his original club, AGF. One to watch for the future, but he's still very young.
Well, he had some good performances for AGF, but when they were relegated last year he (without anyone really noticing) left for Spain, and Segunda División B (G3) side CD Eldense, reasonably close to Valencia, where he previously played. I can't say I've been able to keep up with him, so I don't really know how he's doing.

Quote:
Other interesting names: Mikkel Bischoff (Man City), Christian Traoré (FC Copenhagen), Kasper Lorentzen (Brøndby), William Kvist Jørgensen (FC Copenhagen), Jacob 'Taz' Sørensen (AaB).
Only Lorentzen and Kvist aren't busts. KL I rather like, although he's had his troubles with injuries. Could still prove to be a very efficient left winger/attacking midfielder. Kvist is a nice utility man but not much more. But he continues to get playing time with FCK, so obviously someone there sees something I don't, and I'm hoping it's not just his (impressive) long throws.

Old
01-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Evilo

Remy Riou put up an absolutely disgusting performance for the Bordeaux forwards yesterday with Lorient. The game finished 1-1, but Bordeaux would have scored at least 3 times with an average goalie.

He showed all his quality at age 19 and probably took a step over his two competitors for the best 87 goalie. Indeed, Hartock is still waiting for a few pro minutes and Costil made two big mistakes in Cup action for Caen (Caen was leading in Valenciennes 1-0 until Costil made two mistakes and VA won 2-1).

Old
01-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Edison Cavani is being targeted by Juventus. He's 19, and currently destroying the competition in the U-20 championship. Juventus really want this guy, as he is being compared to Zlatan.

Also, 17 year old Alexandre Pato (previously mentioned) has 6 goals already and is looking to be the next superstar in Brazil.

Old
01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Ajacied
We are never scared!

Higuain rightfully choses for Argentina..

Old
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Evilo

Seems logical to me.
Though I still wonder why he made all that fuss, except to be get some press...

Old
01-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Seems logical to me.
Though I still wonder why he made all that fuss, except to be get some press...
Or maybe press made that fuss to sell more?

Old
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Evilo

It's not the press that declared openly that Higuain "felt french".

Higuain, as Domenech insinuated it (he can be right once in a while), wanted to get his name known for reasons other than football, especially in Europe.
Mission accomplished I guess.

Old
01-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Evilo

And Rémy Riou (goalie loaned by Lyon to Lorient, 19 year old) continues to turn heads.
He's now Lorient's official starter, and proved once again why by making sicks saves against Nantes.
He earned an 8 in L'Equipe (pretty high mark for L'Equipe's standards), and got immense praise.

Old
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Bulbhead

Leon Andreasen has been loaned to Mainz and has already established himself as some kind of leader in their defensive midfield. That and the capture of Mohamed Zidan (also from Werder) seems to have given Mainz a much needed boost, hope is starting to grow there that they will be able to avoid relegation.

Old
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Bulbhead

Sami Khedira, Stuttgart's promising youngster, has signed for two more years at Stuttgart. Serdar Tasci (19) on the other hand, who has already established himself as a regular in Stuttgart, has been sent off with a straight red last saturday and will miss the next 2 matches.

Old
02-01-2007, 07:47 AM
helicecopter

So, Fiorentina grabbed this midfielder Kuzmanovic from Basel (i think) out of Palermo's hands.. anyone (Strizzi?) able to provide an opinion on this youngster?

Palermo apparently paid around 5 million to secure the services of Uruguayan forward Cavani who recently shined for his U20 national team.

Luis Jimenez (former #10 in my old prospects list) finally is back playing as court settled his dispute with Ternana and he could join Lazio after 6 months off. Better late than never i would say!

Other prospects minor movements:
younger Eremenko on loan from Udinese to Siena.
Torino now has a defender who somehow knows how to play a soccer ball.. Bovo on loan from Palermo. (still a pathetic mercato from us)
Milan previously acquired an unknown (by me) Argentinian leftback, Grimi.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Tervin

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
So, Fiorentina grabbed this midfielder Kuzmanovic from Basel (i think) out of Palermo's hands.. anyone (Strizzi?) able to provide an opinion on this youngster?

Palermo apparently paid around 5 million to secure the services of Uruguayan forward Cavani who recently shined for his U20 national team.

Luis Jimenez (former #10 in my old prospects list) finally is back playing as court settled his dispute with Ternana and he could join Lazio after 6 months off. Better late than never i would say!

Other prospects minor movements:
younger Eremenko on loan from Udinese to Siena.
Torino now has a defender who somehow knows how to play a soccer ball.. Bovo on loan from Palermo. (still a pathetic mercato from us)
Milan previously acquired an unknown (by me) Argentinian leftback, Grimi.
You seem to be an expert of Italian soccer. If any, what's your opinion on Giuseppe Rossi.

I've heard alot about this kid in Italian papers, news, etc , but being from Canada, I hardly get a chance to watch him play. I only saw him 4 times. Once for Newcastle, twice with Italy U-21, and last Sunday for Parma. Although I've noticed some small flashes of brilliance, I still don't see what all the hype is about.

Old
02-08-2007, 01:53 PM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervin View Post
You seem to be an expert of Italian soccer.
That was more of a truth a few years ago, anyway..
Quote:
If any, what's your opinion on Giuseppe Rossi.

I've heard alot about this kid in Italian papers, news, etc , but being from Canada, I hardly get a chance to watch him play. I only saw him 4 times. Once for Newcastle, twice with Italy U-21, and last Sunday for Parma. Although I've noticed some small flashes of brilliance, I still don't see what all the hype is about.
Looks like you were far from impressed.. however, should i do a new prospects list for Italy right now he would battle for the #1spot, no doubt.
This little guy has some special skills, most notably i would say great intuition for the game. Moves well without the ball following his istincts, good sense for the net and the defender behind him, quick mind..
he has good technique and sometimes shows impressive quickness.
despite his diminutive size knows how to sit back on the defender and is very quick and smart turning towards the net.. natural scorer.
on the national junior team he has been used as a support/lateral forward and even if he can do that i think he is better suited for a pure forward position alongside a true center forward. He is playing as striker for Parma..
as for his attitude, i would say so good so far..
very interesting to see how he will do finally getting playing time against men with consistency.
The obvious drawback is he is so undersized..but as long as he keeps that quickness with him i would say he has a chance to reach star status some day.

Since he passed his first two years as a professional in England it would be nice to get some opinions as well out of EPL closer observers.

Old
02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Evilo

Monaco signed a young columbian named Pino who impressed them a lot.
Well, the guy stepped foot on L1 pitch for the first time against PSG in the Parc des Princes no less and has provoked a penalty less than 5 minutes after he came in.
The penalty was well stopped by Landreau though (his speciality).

That Pino guy is 19 though and looks pretty good.

Closed Thread