HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

GDT: 11/13/06 Vote Or Skate Or Die - Capitals Vs. Panthers

Old
11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

vCash: 500
That was absolutely brutal to watch. We dominate that 1st period and put up 0 goals. Something needs to be changed and needs to be changed NOW.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Acadmus

With everyone calling for changes, let me remind of two things:

1) The Panthers are several million below the cap on payroll with a healthy roster

2) More than $8M of that payroll is on IR.

The team's getting beat because they're playing with guys worth $32M in a league with many teams playing guys worth $42M-$44M. There's simply a big talent gap here, as I don't think anyone can really accuse Keenan of smart shopping on the contracts he signed.

Anyway, given these facts, there's not a lot that can be done, since no one will take Bertuzzi or Nieuwendyk when they're on IR, and Weiss will be back next game anyway.

11-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Lauser3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
please please please PLEASE tell me you didn't call Bryan Muir a tough physical player. He's softer than a wet paper towel.
Please feel free to check our defensive corps and get back to me. Muir may not be as willing now with the likes of Brashear and Erskine on your roster, but his fight card includes names like Jeremy Stevenson, Shane Hnidy, Dave Roche, Scott Metcalfe, Scott Mellanby, Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Todd Harvey, Matt Johnson, Dion Darling, Jonathan Delisle, Pete Vandermeer, Randy McKay, Travis Moen, Andrew Peters, and Brendan Walsh. Now, is he a very good fighter? No, but he's better and definitely tougher than most of the Florida Panthers.

Lauser3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
With everyone calling for changes, let me remind of two things:

1) The Panthers are several million below the cap on payroll with a healthy roster

2) More than $8M of that payroll is on IR.

The team's getting beat because they're playing with guys worth $32M in a league with many teams playing guys worth $42M-$44M. There's simply a big talent gap here, as I don't think anyone can really accuse Keenan of smart shopping on the contracts he signed.

Anyway, given these facts, there's not a lot that can be done, since no one will take Bertuzzi or Nieuwendyk when they're on IR, and Weiss will be back next game anyway.

You'd have to wonder if Philly's looking to deal, whether we could get something done perhaps in dealing off Olesz or some other players not named Weiss, Jokinen, Bouw or Horton to try and acquire Gagne. I want Nagy on this team, I think he'd do wonders and I don't think it'd be all that hard to get him either. Gagne though, that's a huge salary to pick up but I think the difference he could make would be monumental. Gagne, Horton, Bertuzzi, Jokinen and Weiss as a top 5 gives you 3 legit 1st liners right there which is what we need, LEGIT 1st line players, LEGIT 2nd line players, rather than filling in these lines with 3rd liners or terrible players like Gelinas. I realize though that's probably unfeasible. Still though, I'd love to look at Nagy for a 1st round pick or something like that, at this point it'd be worth it as I'm not in love with anyone in this entire draft. Our farm system's too poor at the moment to try and rebuild again. Our youth is DECENT but not as advertized, so the only way I can see us going is to try and get moderately young players with skill who won't absolutely break the bank. I want to see a Nagy in here and see what he could do, he's fast, skilled, and can score as well.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Cant go wrong with either Nagy or Gagne. I really think we should go after Gagne and if we have to give up Olesz, so be it, id even be willing to part ways with Weiss if necessary. I think Gagne would be a big move that we need to do. We need a change and this is a start.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Acadmus

Too bad Buffalo's not looking to move Chris Drury. Or Anaheim looking to move Dustin Penner. They aren't the most talented, but they have the ability to put up points and are real character players.

Right now the Panthers only have one real character guy that I can think of offhand: Weiss. All 5'11 190lbs of him - consistent play almost every game.

This team's missing Paul Laus big time.

I only appear to be rambling - I started this post 15 minutes before finishing it

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Cant go wrong with either Nagy or Gagne. I really think we should go after Gagne and if we have to give up Olesz, so be it, id even be willing to part ways with Weiss if necessary. I think Gagne would be a big move that we need to do. We need a change and this is a start.
No way do we give up Rusty before we give up Horton. Rusty hasn't even been given a real chance to prove himself yet. Horton on the other hand...

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
No way do we give up Rusty before we give up Horton. Rusty hasn't even been given a real chance to prove himself yet. Horton on the other hand...
...has been playing pro hockey, effectively, for one year longer. And Olesz actually had better competition playing in an adult league in Europe his year before entering the NHL while Horton was recovering from the after-effects of a fight with Anthony Stewart his last year of juniors. Horton then got injured his first pro year, playing as an 18 year old in the NHL, then he had to play in the minors during the lockout and got injured again, and finally got a complete season last year, the same time Olesz had his first full season.

Yes, he should be progressing better, but he really can't be said to have had a chance to prove himself. He's a kid. No point in giving up on either of these two yet, same as Stewart who's also only in his first full pro season this year after getting injured early last season.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
wpring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Agreed, this team has to be the worst team in the NHL to watch aside from the New Jersey Devils. No wonder I almost fell asleep watching whenever they play NJ. Anyways, this team does absolutely nothing. No scoring, nothing. No good passing. Roberts BLOWS, Nieuwendyk needs to retire, so does Roberts. The only decent players on this team are Bouwmeester, Salei, and Jokinen, and even Olli is playing well below average. We have no playmaking skilled winger. I'm starting to sour on Olesz as well or maybe that's just because he doesn't get played nearly enough. Idk why GELINAS is on the PP, Gelinas has absolute hands of rock, same with Roberts. Kiwi shows hands of butter compared to those two. I'm sick of nonstop cycling down low, we see it entirely too much. Sure good teams cycle but you see goals scored OFF THE RUSH now. We don't HAVE rushes, it's really the most frustrating team to watch. I watched Pitts tonight, see, they rebuild right, of course we've been bad as long as they have and we're still terrible. Bertuzzi would help, I don't deny it but Jokinen and Bertuzzi won't get it done. Hurting Weiss hurts a lot. We need a Ladislav Nagy/Marty Havlat/Gaborik/speedy winger on our team who can make plays and bring excitement. Just like the last major franchise player trade when we dealt Bure away for nothing and watched this franchise spiral downwards almost endlessly, the Luongo trade looks the same too. Got very little. Auld is good but he's no Marc-Andre Fleury type potential franchise goalie. Frolik is our only decent prospect. Stewart is a bust, McArdle is just another 3rd line player like everyone else on this team who can bring energy but can't score. The farm team is awful, the main team isn't anything either. So in free agency if we don't sign some big names to make up for Bertuzzi then it looks as if this team will be nothing. Who else has been bad as long as we have? Pitts is coming out of it, CBJ is too, Chicago ehhh, well they at least got Havlat and Ruutu and young players coming up. But Olesz (future Jagr) has no offense. Horton is too inconsistent. If we had done things right we'd have Jay Bouwmeester, Eric Staal, Alexander Semin (was best player available but we drafted by need Taticek), Luongo, Krajicek, Weiss, (I won't give up on Olesz and his offense, maybe oneday but Anze Kopitar was a very feasible pick at that spot too). Bouwmeester, Staal, Semin, Weiss, Kopitar, Krajicek and Luongo. Different look for sure. Hindsight is pointless but Horton over Staal when Staal was projected to be better (although no one had any idea that he'd be THAT good). Regardless, developing players as well is a big role as well in development, Olesz isn't being developed well IMO, it's hurting, we won't win as long as we don't EVER score!
You say that we need goal scorers and guys who can score off the rush, but then you say we need to get rid of Newy, one of the few guys on the team who often scores on the rush. I do not see how having Nieuwendyk retire helps this team at all. What this tema needs is for Niewendyk to get healthy and go back to scoring goals.

wpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
HockeySS19

Niewendyk has been injured many times this season, so having him come back and get us excited and then get injured again and sit out doesn't help our situation. It's hard to tell him to get healthy and stay healthy and have him actually do it because it's not his decision. If it was, I'm sure he'd want to play in all 82 games every season.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpring View Post
You say that we need goal scorers and guys who can score off the rush, but then you say we need to get rid of Newy, one of the few guys on the team who often scores on the rush. I do not see how having Nieuwendyk retire helps this team at all. What this tema needs is for Niewendyk to get healthy and go back to scoring goals.
He can't score off the rush when he's injured in 95% of our games. The prescence of him in and out of the lineup isn't helping. We OBVIOUSLY are better off with him in the lineup but the fact that he misses so many games and then comes back for one and is hurt is disruptive IMO, constant recurring injuries suck, it's not helping Joe to come back the way he is.

Old
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
wpring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
He can't score off the rush when he's injured in 95% of our games. The prescence of him in and out of the lineup isn't helping. We OBVIOUSLY are better off with him in the lineup but the fact that he misses so many games and then comes back for one and is hurt is disruptive IMO, constant recurring injuries suck, it's not helping Joe to come back the way he is.
he has played 6 full games (+2 periods) and has 4 goals, 2 assists and a +1. He has been very good when in the lineup so having him come back as is would be a good thing. It is discouraging when he is out but it is well worth it for the times when he is in. He played the entire second half of last year injury free and scored a point per game. IMO there is no reason to think he won't do that again this year.

Old
11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpring View Post
. IMO there is no reason to think he won't do that again this year.
Age +1.

He's good when he's healthy, but he continues to have the same problem. This time he said he felt stronger and that he'd be able to go for a while, now he's sounding very negative about it.

Old
11-14-2006, 08:08 PM
HockeySS19

Last season the Panthers had a very good second half of the season. All of the players need to be there for the whole season, not just the second half.

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:15 AM
wpring

He is back now but may go out again...who knows. But he is Playoff Joe so the key is that he is healthy for the playoffs. We have a team that can go on a run in the playoffs if we can just get there. We have a bunch of veteran leaders who have one more run in them and we have a bunch of young players who are ready to move to that next level in their careers.

We just cannot lose track of .500. Last season we fell 8-9 games under and could not recover. We are only 3 games under now. Everyone is in a panic about this team and nobody seems to realize that we are going to turn this around and win the cup this year. We just need ot keep track of .500, have a strong second half (with Bert) and avoid major (Newy, Olli, Bert, Eddie, JBow) injury during the playoffs and we will go all the way.

Assuming we dont screw up the team chemistry by trading a bunch of guys and making more changes in the front office / behind the bench. I would not mind picking up a couple guys like Keenan did last year (Sim, Monty, Jackman, Allison) hopefully JM can do it while coaching. I think having Keenan would be an asset right now...it is too bad he left.

Old
11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Made the playoffs??

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
This team neds to start rolling 4 solid lines. Not jumbling them up. I don't remember the last time this team actually rolled 4 lines without switching them up every 5 minutes (actually, I think the last time was 1999-2000).

I know it's kind of difficult with the injuries coming in and out, but Martin has to stick to a solid lineup. Mixing up lines doesn't create chemistry or even let players gel together.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauser3 View Post
Please feel free to check our defensive corps and get back to me. Muir may not be as willing now with the likes of Brashear and Erskine on your roster, but his fight card includes names like Jeremy Stevenson, Shane Hnidy, Dave Roche, Scott Metcalfe, Scott Mellanby, Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Todd Harvey, Matt Johnson, Dion Darling, Jonathan Delisle, Pete Vandermeer, Randy McKay, Travis Moen, Andrew Peters, and Brendan Walsh. Now, is he a very good fighter? No, but he's better and definitely tougher than most of the Florida Panthers.
May be true but....not one of those fights have been in a Caps jersey.....least I dont remember him ever getting in a fight while hes been with us

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote