HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob Has Spoken

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2003, 12:42 PM
  #1
Shazbot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Bob Has Spoken

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=61951

Shazbot is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 12:44 PM
  #2
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
trading rivet, perrault, audete... that isnt a major trade?

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 12:49 PM
  #3
EquabaleAce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 637
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
im glad to see that bob is so optimistic, he must restore alot of faith in unassured habs fans.

i guess he likes the way that the team is playing now, and its good to see that he is pleased

EquabaleAce is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 12:59 PM
  #4
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
What a bunch of crap@! Great he's happy with the team that plays like **** one night, and good the next. But why bring up Ryder and Ribeiro? They are the least of our worries. Hey Gainey what about focus on how Perreault doesn't work hard in his own end, how Audette floats around and seems useless out there, how Sundstrom looks like he should be wearing a sign on his back that says "I'd rather be fishing". Or how about the Rivet that gets the fat contract, then goes on to be the teams lowest +/- by far, or Quintal who looks like he's made of glass now, or the Theodore who shuts out a team one game, then gives up 4 goals the next game.

Fine whatever, this team won't make the playoffs if the defense doesn't get more physical in their own end, our special teams don't show a major improvement, and we find a way to score more then a goal or two a game. Just how the hell is anyone satisfied with this team. I am so sick of being a crappy team, I expect us to lose every time I turn on a game. **** I sick of this organization sometimes.

montreal is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:10 PM
  #5
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Well to end every rumor about a possible trade (from Radiocanada.ca):

Gainey cherche-t-il à conclure une transaction? «Tout ce que vous pouvez avancer en ce moment n'est que pure spéculation. C'est inutile et en plus, ça dérange les joueurs. J'ai évalué mon équipe au cours de l'été, et je ne vais pas chambouler l'ensemble après seulement 20 matchs.»

Translated version:

Is Gainey looking to trade? "All you can talk about right now is mear speculation. It's useless and furthermore, it disturbes the players. I've evaluated my team during the summer, and I'm not going to turn the whole thing upside down after only 20 games."




Could it be any clearer?

But it doesn't explain why they brought back Komisarek and how they intend to use him with the other 3 right-handed veteran Dmen already in place.

Anyway don't hold your breath people, we're stuck with those softies for a tad longer.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:11 PM
  #6
danboulie
Registered User
 
danboulie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Whoa, Dan. Take it easy.
MY take on this is that he's rtying to keep whatever he has in the works as low key as possible. Thr MOntreal media are sharks, and will hound any player mentionned in a possible trade to death. He was simply saying those things about Ryder and Ribeiro because they are players he wants to keep, and is trying to say something constructive to get them going in full gear.

danboulie is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:15 PM
  #7
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
What a bunch of crap@! Great he's happy with the team that plays like **** one night, and good the next. But why bring up Ryder and Ribeiro? They are the least of our worries. Hey Gainey what about focus on how Perreault doesn't work hard in his own end, how Audette floats around and seems useless out there, how Sundstrom looks like he should be wearing a sign on his back that says "I'd rather be fishing". Or how about the Rivet that gets the fat contract, then goes on to be the teams lowest +/- by far, or Quintal who looks like he's made of glass now, or the Theodore who shuts out a team one game, then gives up 4 goals the next game.
Gainey is putting his team at ease; that's all. Just like he did with Brisebois. Sure, we love to ***** about Yannic's disappearing act and Rivet's clutziness, but would it do Gainey any good to say, "We are buying. Rivet, Perreault, and Kilger are all on the block." That's not Gainey's style. That would do little but disrupt the dressing room. We will see a trade this season -- I'm sure of it. This team is unbalanced, and everyone knows it. But we won't see it coming.

Gainey, however, is not the kind of GM who placates the fans and media by promising them big moves. He's the kind of GM who thinks, "I know what's best for the team better than fans or media." And he does, as much as we like to think otherwise. Look at what he's done with Brisebois. Bottom line is that he could be on the phone every day making inquiries and we wouldn't know it, nor should we.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:18 PM
  #8
Guriken
Registered User
 
Guriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Montreal, I've seen Perreault backcheck a lot of times in his last games, i think he has improved this side of his game, you should keep your eyes open on him.

Guriken is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:22 PM
  #9
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
I understand that Gainey won't talk about trades, or say bad things about our players, but why does he say we need to see more consistency from Ribeiro who's our leading scorer, yet Perreault doesn't get called out for his lack of defensive play.

Guess I'm more pissed that Komo isn't playing, but I should know better by now. :mad:

montreal is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:24 PM
  #10
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken
Montreal, I've seen Perreault backcheck a lot of times in his last games, i think he has improved this side of his game, you should keep your eyes open on him.

no thanks i've seen enought of that ass hole.


Edit: I watched this guy for going on 3 years now. I've seen him get pushed around, use his stick to defend down low only to have a player crusie right by him and score goal after goal, I've seen him get knocked off the puck in the corner with ease, I've seen him giving a piss poor effort in his own end. All the sudden a few goals, and some backchecking, and I'm to be all happy that his been a minus player for the 3 years he's been here. NO I don't think so. If I'm the only one that doesn't like him, then you guys can just ignore my Perreault rants.

montreal is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
  #11
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 500
BG is not showing his cards at all... the media will not be thrilled with this, but he is sending the message that he runs the show, not them. He is very intelligent, and probably has a couple of deals on the back burner, but would never tip his hand. He will probably make a deal before Xmas, and then again he could make a deal tonight after the game... he is in control, and making trades these days is a very difficult thing to do, in BG we trust!

BLONG7 is online now  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:26 PM
  #12
Guy Caballero
Registered User
 
Guy Caballero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I understand that Gainey won't talk about trades, or say bad things about our players, but why does he say we need to see more consistency from Ribeiro who's our leading scorer, yet Perreault doesn't get called out for his lack of defensive play.

Guess I'm more pissed that Komo isn't playing, but I should know better by now. :mad:
I'm not too happy about that either. Julien seems to have a hard on for Boullion, and is afraid to sit Rivet or Quintal, both of whom are playing terrible D. Hainsey and Komisarek could BOTH be up and playing, IMO...which is why I think, despite what Bob says, a trade is forthcoming.

Guy Caballero is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:49 PM
  #13
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I understand that Gainey won't talk about trades, or say bad things about our players, but why does he say we need to see more consistency from Ribeiro who's our leading scorer, yet Perreault doesn't get called out for his lack of defensive play.

Guess I'm more pissed that Komo isn't playing, but I should know better by now. :mad:
Because of one or two factors:

1) Ribeiro is the future of the team, while Yannick is the past. He knows that at the very least, Perreault will be done in Montreal at the end of the year, while if Ribby performs, he could be in the future plans of the Canadiens.

2) He's calling out Ribby because he needs Ribs to perform better for scouts or GM's who might be watching.

If there's one thing I've learned about Gainey, his every word is calculated and while everything in genuine at face value, he also has another meaning behind it that's implied. The fact that he's called out two of our young'uns just leads me to believe that he doesn't expect any more from the elder statesmen like Perreault and therefore can't concern himself with them as much.

He also called out Sax and Zed, and rightly so, indicating that they need to be far more productive. Sax has been good to very good, but he hasn't been that dominant force that he's capable of being. He's only had two or three games where he's created something dangerous every shift. Zed has only really started playing well in the last handful of games, and it's been inconsistent at best. But he calls these two out because they are integral to the future of the Habs - whether by playing or by trades it doesn't matter, they still need to be better.

I feel like I haven't been as clear as I'd like to be; hopefully everyone understands this better than I do myself.

A concerned fan.

Guy! is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
  #14
Gainey RULZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal (St-Hubert)
Country: Canada
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Well to end every rumor about a possible trade (from Radiocanada.ca):

Gainey cherche-t-il à conclure une transaction? «Tout ce que vous pouvez avancer en ce moment n'est que pure spéculation. C'est inutile et en plus, ça dérange les joueurs. J'ai évalué mon équipe au cours de l'été, et je ne vais pas chambouler l'ensemble après seulement 20 matchs.»

Translated version:

Is Gainey looking to trade? "All you can talk about right now is mear speculation. It's useless and furthermore, it disturbes the players. I've evaluated my team during the summer, and I'm not going to turn the whole thing upside down after only 20 games."




Could it be any clearer?

But it doesn't explain why they brought back Komisarek and how they intend to use him with the other 3 right-handed veteran Dmen already in place.

Anyway don't hold your breath people, we're stuck with those softies for a tad longer.
Yeah... but from http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3FC3CF3D.html
Quote:
Bob Gainey a aussi souligné que la situation serait plus facile s'il y avait plus de gros attaquants dans sa formation.
fast translation : he said that it will be more easier if there are bigger players in his team...(sorry for my english)

So... rumors will continue...

Gainey RULZ is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
  #15
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Because of one or two factors:

1) Ribeiro is the future of the team, while Yannick is the past. He knows that at the very least, Perreault will be done in Montreal at the end of the year, while if Ribby performs, he could be in the future plans of the Canadiens.

2) He's calling out Ribby because he needs Ribs to perform better for scouts or GM's who might be watching.

If there's one thing I've learned about Gainey, his every word is calculated and while everything in genuine at face value, he also has another meaning behind it that's implied. The fact that he's called out two of our young'uns just leads me to believe that he doesn't expect any more from the elder statesmen like Perreault and therefore can't concern himself with them as much.

He also called out Sax and Zed, and rightly so, indicating that they need to be far more productive. Sax has been good to very good, but he hasn't been that dominant force that he's capable of being. He's only had two or three games where he's created something dangerous every shift. Zed has only really started playing well in the last handful of games, and it's been inconsistent at best. But he calls these two out because they are integral to the future of the Habs - whether by playing or by trades it doesn't matter, they still need to be better.

I feel like I haven't been as clear as I'd like to be; hopefully everyone understands this better than I do myself.

A concerned fan.
That makes sense.

montreal is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 02:28 PM
  #16
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Edit: I watched this guy for going on 3 years now. I've seen him get pushed around, use his stick to defend down low only to have a player crusie right by him and score goal after goal, I've seen him get knocked off the puck in the corner with ease, I've seen him giving a piss poor effort in his own end. All the sudden a few goals, and some backchecking, and I'm to be all happy that his been a minus player for the 3 years he's been here. NO I don't think so. If I'm the only one that doesn't like him, then you guys can just ignore my Perreault rants.


Your on HW and HrUs too, you should know how much I hate Perreault for the exact same reasons, I've been hating him for 3 years now. In fact, I agree on pretty much 90% of the things you say

BUT, I'll give Gainey 2 years before I judge him on the "youth mouvement", these things take time and if I see any veteran signing from the current team or prospect trading, then I'll start doubting Gaineys ability. We havent traded any important picks or prospects, this is a plus but how long will we see these vets is what I ask and are the younger players going to get a chance? Only time will tell.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 04:00 PM
  #17
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
BG is not showing his cards at all... the media will not be thrilled with this, but he is sending the message that he runs the show, not them.
What kind of a GM would Gainey be if he said the team wasn't good and that players needed to be moved? Every player on the team would feel as if they were walking on eggshells and we would go on a massive losing streak, Gainey isn't going to do anything too drastic only 21 games in...but some tinkering may happen, with sooooo many rumors and now Gainey speaking to the media one has to think there is some valid talks going on with other teams right now.

Gainey and 29 other GM's would never say to the media that they are looking at trades with other teams and players are and need to be moved, right!

How many times as a GM said he isn't gong to make any changes or a coach's job is safe and then boom something happens..Bob is trying to get the media off his back and humoring them at the same time. If he gets a good deal he will jump on it, but what I think he is waiting for is for Perreault, Juneau, Dackell and Kilgers contracts to run out this summer. Making a lot of cash available and a lot of spots open for guys like Higgins and Plekanec. Are Quintal's, Traverse and Dykhuis contracts up this summer???

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 04:03 PM
  #18
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS

Are Quintal's, Traverse and Dykhuis contracts up this summer???
I think Quintal and Traverse are up this summer... but not Dykhuis.

Agalloch is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 05:24 PM
  #19
HABitual
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kirkland Lake, Ontar
Posts: 5,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
What kind of a GM would Gainey be if he said the team wasn't good and that players needed to be moved? Every player on the team would feel as if they were walking on eggshells and we would go on a massive losing streak, Gainey isn't going to do anything too drastic only 21 games in...
If I recall correctly, there was some team executive who blasted his team for playing poorly and saying something to the effect of:"Why would I try to trade anyone? They're not worth being traded (becasue they are bad)." Something like that. I would much rather have a GM like that, to light a fire under the pants of the players, than to have a GM instill some false sense of security in players who are underachievers. This is why I have not been impressed by BG as a GM so far.

HABitual is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 05:32 PM
  #20
Rahan
Registered User
 
Rahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
If I recall correctly, there was some team executive who blasted his team for playing poorly and saying something to the effect of:"Why would I try to trade anyone? They're not worth being traded (becasue they are bad)." Something like that. I would much rather have a GM like that, to light a fire under the pants of the players, than to have a GM instill some false sense of security in players who are underachievers. This is why I have not been impressed by BG as a GM so far.

So much for the team spirit, then? Acting like that would take back the will to play for the canadiens from our players. That's if they already have some will..

Rahan is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 05:41 PM
  #21
ShootOut
Registered User
 
ShootOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OutreMer
Country: Estonia
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Because of one or two factors:

1) Ribeiro is the future of the team, while Yannick is the past. He knows that at the very least, Perreault will be done in Montreal at the end of the year, while if Ribby performs, he could be in the future plans of the Canadiens.

2) He's calling out Ribby because he needs Ribs to perform better for scouts or GM's who might be watching.

The first factor is possible; the second one seems illogical to me. If Bob Gainey was actively shopping Ribeiro, he wouldn't come out in public to criticize him about his lack of consistency, as it certainly hurts his trading value. He'd address this issue privately.

ShootOut is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:34 PM
  #22
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
If I recall correctly, there was some team executive who blasted his team for playing poorly and saying something to the effect of:"Why would I try to trade anyone? They're not worth being traded (becasue they are bad)." Something like that. I would much rather have a GM like that, to light a fire under the pants of the players, than to have a GM instill some false sense of security in players who are underachievers. This is why I have not been impressed by BG as a GM so far.
So, what you're saying, in essence, is that you want Gainey to berate the very players he wants to trade, thereby lowering the trade value and allowing himself the opportunity of getting even less in return? Not a very smart ploy.

By coming out and saying he's happy, he's basically telling all the other GM's that he doesn't mind what he has. He even said that the team should probably be a few points higher than they are at the moment, and that says to the other GM's that the team might have some decent players there who might just need a change of scenery to turn up their game. Any smart GM who wants to trade players needs to create a market for that player by showing all their positives. Those GM's that continually berate players don't stay GM's very long. In fact, when you do hear a GM berating a player, it's generally because it's a player he has absolutely NO intention of trading!

Do you not see that Gainey's in a tough spot with the dearth of talent here and that, if he wants to move it and get some kind of return that's worthy, he has to create the interest himself? It's not like the media or the fans are going to help, since they spend the bulk of their time booing every move, or lack of move that's done. Therefore he *has* to come out and do these things. You want to move Rivet then you have to tell people that he has value!

And people listen to Bob Gainey. He's respected around the league. Perhaps in this instance he's working on pulling the wool down a little bit, but that's what the best GM's do!

A concerned fan.

Guy! is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 06:35 PM
  #23
Guy!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut
The first factor is possible; the second one seems illogical to me. If Bob Gainey was actively shopping Ribeiro, he wouldn't come out in public to criticize him about his lack of consistency, as it certainly hurts his trading value. He'd address this issue privately.
AH, but he's indicating that the player has so much more to bring to the table. Reverse psychology for the other GM's. Plus, I don't think he has any intention of trading Ribby at this moment - he's satisfied (or resigned) to the fact that Ribby will be part of the growing process for the next couple of years or so.

A concerned fan.

Guy! is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 07:34 PM
  #24
Habsolution
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: En tounoi avec Theo? Bonn chan!
Posts: 2,408
vCash: 500
It's pathetic

We've seen this team try to win hockey games and get into the post season for the past 2 years. Those guys they just can't get it done. We made it once because our goaltender pulled off the best goalie performance in a single season I have ever seen and he came out of it with a Hart and Vezina. That's the only single reason that we could have some success with those players over the past 2 years.

Yet .. Gainey thinks we are a playoffs team ? That we just aren't playing hard enough ? We had 2 different coaches, 2 differente GMs. No one could make those guys play constistently from games to games.

There's no use showcasing them no one want these guys. They are either too old, too soft, not skilled enough or greatly overpaid. Some of them are even all of those things. Whatever Bob Gainey says, whatever he does Donald Audette remains Donald Audette. He still has the same stupid contract. Ditto for Perreault (minus the stupid contract, as he is UFA next year), Rivet and Juneau. Their faces would be on the season tickets that they wouldn't be worth more or less. He could ask stone cutters to create gigantic statues of Rivet, Juneau and Audette and put them in front of the bell Center while praising their skills and effort every nights that their value wouldn't be better either. If they haven't been traded yet it's because they are either untradable or are still in the plans.


Right now we're playing bad hockey. We're 2 games under .500 thanx to a miraculous start where we faced teams that were either rusty or not willing to play. It's 02-03 all over again save that we are about 2-3-4 pts under last year record after the same number of games. And we all know how good it got after december last year. Bob Gainey can believe all he wants that it is gonna get better I think he's dreaming.

We're playing boring hockey. We have difficulties scorings goals. We aren't very physical. We aren't committed. It's a rare event where we see all the players showing up on a given day. Let's not kid ourselves we have a system that is not particularly exciting to watch.

So we play boring hockey. We play bad hockey. We play veterans that have led us nowhere over the last 3 years (beside the 01-02 anomaly). 21 games this year + the last 2 years are enough evidences to show that the current team just can't achieve success.

So if that's the conclusion Gainey reached I have no choice but to question one out of two things : his honesty or his judgement. Right now I chose to question his honesty. Of course he can't go out saying we're not a playoffs team can he ?

So is waiting for this year to end breaking in only the minimum amount of prospects possible the only solution Gainey has ? I'd rather think there are other options. I'm sure a guy like Rivet could be moved. He really wouldn't be a big loss. I'm sure Perreault has some value. That someone might want him somewhere. Some people are going to say : but what do we do if Koivu or Ribs injure themselves ? My answer : WHO CARES ! Bring up the kids in that SO unfortunate event. It's not like we're a great hockey team competing for the cup this year.


End of rant ...

Habsolution is offline  
Old
11-25-2003, 07:35 PM
  #25
Brisebois
Registered User
 
Brisebois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Feeding Johan Sedin
Posts: 2,524
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Julien seems to have a hard on for Boullion.

I'm not surprised. Did you see what he did to the Sedin brothers after Henrik sprayed Theo in the first period?

Brisebois is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.