HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

So...what does Martin do now?

Old
11-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
So...what does Martin do now?

I know 3 of our best players are injured in Bert, Nieuwy, and Weiss, but something needs to be done...doesn't it? How do you lose to the Caps like that? Why did they lose so many in a row after starting out well? What should Martin do?

IMO, there's not one player on this team who is untradeable. Perhaps Olli, but he's hot and cold and disappears on the road. Who should go for whom, and when? Some teams are in Cap trouble after this season, who should they go after?

The youngsters on this team (as CdnCzech said in the GDT) haven't developed as we all hoped, and other teams have been able to find gold. How is it that so many other teams have made such great picks and all of our picks are far from being that good. Is it coaching...again? Or could it be the CONSTANT revolving door in management. I mean, think about it, how many companies, and their employees, actually thrive when their management can't order business cards because they're out the door to fast? The finger is ALWAYS pointed at management, when will it be pointed at the players?

Well, all that to say this: I'm pointing the finger at the players, I was wondering what you guys, if you were GM's would do. What do you guys see happening?

*Maybe this thread can be merged with another mods, I was mostly interested in what others see can happen to make improvements.

11-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Alright for starters Martin needs help, either an assistent GM or a coach but something. Trouble is you don't want to stir things up TOO much but then again, a shakeup might be needed.

As for players, you bet there's too much underachieving right now. Gelinas and Roberts are not pulling their weight at all. You can say they provide leadership, yes they also provide ill-timed penalties. I know they've been victims of it before, but face facts that their age catches up to them in not being able to adapt to the new rules, even though the calls are sketchy. They are taking those risks because they either still think it's ok (Gelinas, and some of us may agree with him) or are too slow (Roberts) to keep up. Unfortunately it's pointless cap wise to ask Newy to retire cause he's still a cap hit, regardless of his ability to stay healthy they need to make a trade, whether Newy can play or not.

Weiss already said he'll be back on Thursday but one has to wonder how long he'll last again, last year playing with an injury for 2-3 months was not cool, you don't do that to you team.

Mezei has been all kinds of awful, I mean Montador is outplaying him at this point (as in Kiwi but only at forward). Mezei is kind of like a Biron that doesn't suck quite as much, still gets beaten to the goal and still takes stupid penalties.

Right now I'd say you don't trade Jokinen, hot or cold or not, he's too good to lose, captain, and signed for 4 years. Weiss has been doing very well whether he gets injured or not, and Horton has re-awoken from his slumber. He's likely always streaky but he's no longer the problem. Bouwmeester and Salei have been fantastic, Salei was a great quiet pickup, strong defensively, hits and is surprisingly good on the PP.

This team needs a forward or two because of the injuries to Bertuzzi and Newy and I will be surprised if Newy can string together more than 20 consecutive games this year but I don't think he'll retire that easily either. Auld and Belfour have actually been quite good, take these last two games, what screwed us over? Penalties, you can't expect Belfour to stop 7 PPs with two 5 on 3's and Auld got scored 5 on 3 as well, you cannot keep doing that.

Who's gotta go: Gelinas, Roberts, Mezei
Who stays for sure: Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, Bouwmeester, Salei
Everyone else falls in between, where there are certain players not worth trading, like Olesz due to his age and long contract, Campbell isn't worth much but doesn't really do anything wrong and personally I wouldn't want to trade say Kolnik. While Gelinas could fetch something useful, especially for a playoff team, he has a NTC like Gratton, could prove a problem. What this team lacks this year and did not address in the offseason was a top line LW. One could argue that neither Horton nor Stumpel are really top line RWs (Bertuzzi is the actual top RW) but if we had a real top line LW, they'd already make Horton or Stumpel better players. It's time to drop the age and the slowness/"grit" for something more useful in the new NHL.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 08:59 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I know 3 of our best players are injured in Bert, Nieuwy, and Weiss, but something needs to be done...doesn't it? How do you lose to the Caps like that? Why did they lose so many in a row after starting out well? What should Martin do?

IMO, there's not one player on this team who is untradeable. Perhaps Olli, but he's hot and cold and disappears on the road. Who should go for whom, and when? Some teams are in Cap trouble after this season, who should they go after?

The youngsters on this team (as CdnCzech said in the GDT) haven't developed as we all hoped, and other teams have been able to find gold. How is it that so many other teams have made such great picks and all of our picks are far from being that good. Is it coaching...again? Or could it be the CONSTANT revolving door in management. I mean, think about it, how many companies, and their employees, actually thrive when their management can't order business cards because they're out the door to fast? The finger is ALWAYS pointed at management, when will it be pointed at the players?

Well, all that to say this: I'm pointing the finger at the players, I was wondering what you guys, if you were GM's would do. What do you guys see happening?

*Maybe this thread can be merged with another mods, I was mostly interested in what others see can happen to make improvements.

Depends what direction we're going in. That's the first thing Martin needs to do, assess the situation. We have great 3rd/4th line players, infact we have a surplus of them. Roberts, Olesz, Gelinas, Stumpel, Peltonen, Kolnik, Gratton, Campbell, etc... but really no legit top 6 forwards aside from Olli who is playing like a 2nd line player this year as it is. The defense is fine aside from Mezei starting to get under my skin, and lapses like the Pettinger on Montador lapse last night, that CANNOT happen if this team wants to extend their season into May for the first time in what seems like forever. Bouwmeester and Salei have both been extremely impression in my opinion, VanRyn has been up and down, but has been fairly solid in most games as well. Allen is as advertised, not the fastest skater, but a tough player who hits. Montador MAYBE alright as a #6/7 defenseman, even then, I don't really know, depends how often he does stuff like he did last night. I'd say give Jackman maybe one last look. Jackman crushing people and getting called for boarding is at least showing that he is trying to make an impression, only that he's going a little over the top. So the top 4 are set, Mezei really is not much better than Jackman or Monty, and if he is, it's not by much.

The offense is harder to assess, Jokinen is the only decent scorer up front, sound familiar? Where has Stumpel been all year? Peltonen, despite being quick and shifty hasn't made a great offensive impact yet, time will tell with that. Nieuwendyk's back problems have become such an issue that I wish he would just retire already because he's in for one game, out for 10 and that's ridiculous. Gelinas's hands of stone are killing me, guy has hands of absolute rock. Roberts as well, it seems as though Roberts, even though he hustles, doesn't want to be the one to make the offensive play, rather he prefers to cycle it back around to whoevers coming just about every time. You'll see Olli step out of the corner and drive once in a while but Roberts isn't doing that as much as he should be, and even then he's really old, and struggling and is in no way, shape or form a 1st line player anymore. Horton is Horton, maddingly inconsistent with a laser shot, when he's hot he's hot, right now he seems hot. Gratton has been a disappointment I'd say the way he's spoken to the media and really not played as well as he did last year although he hasn't been bad. Basically, we have one first line player in our entire lineup, 2-3 borderline second line players depending on the team (Nieuwendyk, Weiss, Horton) and a bunch of 3rd/4th liners. Olesz is being misused I believe. When a coach isn't expecting anything from you, it's a lot harder to make an impact. If Olesz was handed some powerplay minutes rather than Gelinas who should NOT be on the powerplay, I think you'd see his skill. He's a great stickhandler, strong, and fights for the puck. Bertuzzi is really missed, I think he's too big a part of our offense which is why we have the problem we have. Having 2 second liners and a 1st liner on your top line, and 2nd/3rd liners making up your second line, your offense just isn't going to be good. Bertuzzi back would give us two legitimate first line players which immediately helps everyone in the lineup. Weiss is a second line player, he just needs capable 2nd line level linemates which is why his numbers would be a lot higher (and why others who leave have numbers that are much higher elsewhere). Nieuwendyk is too old to rely on, and all this veteran leadership from everyone on this team really isn't showing itself. The fact that this team is losing can attest to that. I don't like the goaltending situation for the longterm future which is why I hope that if we have a high draft pick we either pick up a skilled forward with speed or a goaltender, or acquire one via trade who has starter potential. Auld looks great to have for the next 2-3 years if not longer, depending on his progression but I'd feel slightly more positive about the direction of this franchise with a more highly touted young netminder back there for us.

Now let's think about this, this was supposed to be the year for us, the beginning of dominance, the fruition of all the young talents throughout the years of basement dwelling. The Luongo trade most likely has set us back with that, but bear in mind, that deal was supposed to improve the offense and defense of this team, Allen and Auld are NOT the reason he was traded, rather Bertuzzi, so we'll see the impact Bert has for us when he's back. Regardless though, unless this team can turn it around (getting Bertuzzi back in 6 weeks may be too late by then), then I'd have to think that there's not many positives to look at with this organization. The farm system is weaker than it's ever been with numerous higher picks busting (Kreps, Globke, Stewart) and only McArdle and Frolik as potential future contributors at least 2 years away if not more. LaPoint seems pretty legit too though, as does Shantz and Plante, but really, we need finesse in this organization more than anything and only Frolik shows that.
Overall it's a combination of everything, the coaching, the GM, (both Jacques), the inability to at least make the players secure out there (not having an enforcer), the extreme lack of finesse on this team (Olli is a shooter, that's it, he's not a bigtime finesse sniper who comes down the wing with speed and draws defenders to him creating ice). Honestly, as much as I hate to say this, a player like Huselius even would probably make a big difference on this team now. Not him per se but rather someone like that, just a different dimension. It seems like we're playing 4 years behind the shift curve of the NHL. 4 years ago this team would great, with those players 4 years younger, the rules as they were. Why's everyone still so enamoured with a "powerforward?" I'd much rather have Nik Zherdev over Horton right now and I wanted Zherdev on draft day even over Staal. What exactly does a powerforward bring to the new NHL that you don't bring with speed and the ability to open up lanes and pass? Sure, it's tougher on the defense now to defend in close to the goal but Horton is no powerforward, he is a powerforward's body with a finesse player's mentality.
All in all though, the lack of finesse in this new NHL really is our biggest problem. Lack of skill, lack of speed, and lack of solid strategies. Other teams score off the rush, we DON'T rush. Of this entire team, the only players I don't have any complaints about are Bouwmeester, Salei and Weiss, everyone else isn't playing the way they can or just isn't good enough anymore. Not the best of times to be a panther fan, at least back in the day, it seemed like we had a great farm system with Huselius, Hagman, Weiss, Krajicek, Novak, etc....but looking to the future is perhaps even more negative than the present....

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:04 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Alright for starters Martin needs help, either an assistent GM or a coach but something. Trouble is you don't want to stir things up TOO much but then again, a shakeup might be needed.

As for players, you bet there's too much underachieving right now. Gelinas and Roberts are not pulling their weight at all. You can say they provide leadership, yes they also provide ill-timed penalties. I know they've been victims of it before, but face facts that their age catches up to them in not being able to adapt to the new rules, even though the calls are sketchy. They are taking those risks because they either still think it's ok (Gelinas, and some of us may agree with him) or are too slow (Roberts) to keep up. Unfortunately it's pointless cap wise to ask Newy to retire cause he's still a cap hit, regardless of his ability to stay healthy they need to make a trade, whether Newy can play or not.

Weiss already said he'll be back on Thursday but one has to wonder how long he'll last again, last year playing with an injury for 2-3 months was not cool, you don't do that to you team.

Mezei has been all kinds of awful, I mean Montador is outplaying him at this point (as in Kiwi but only at forward). Mezei is kind of like a Biron that doesn't suck quite as much, still gets beaten to the goal and still takes stupid penalties.

Right now I'd say you don't trade Jokinen, hot or cold or not, he's too good to lose, captain, and signed for 4 years. Weiss has been doing very well whether he gets injured or not, and Horton has re-awoken from his slumber. He's likely always streaky but he's no longer the problem. Bouwmeester and Salei have been fantastic, Salei was a great quiet pickup, strong defensively, hits and is surprisingly good on the PP.

This team needs a forward or two because of the injuries to Bertuzzi and Newy and I will be surprised if Newy can string together more than 20 consecutive games this year but I don't think he'll retire that easily either. Auld and Belfour have actually been quite good, take these last two games, what screwed us over? Penalties, you can't expect Belfour to stop 7 PPs with two 5 on 3's and Auld got scored 5 on 3 as well, you cannot keep doing that.

Who's gotta go: Gelinas, Roberts, Mezei
Who stays for sure: Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, Bouwmeester, Salei
Everyone else falls in between, where there are certain players not worth trading, like Olesz due to his age and long contract, Campbell isn't worth much but doesn't really do anything wrong and personally I wouldn't want to trade say Kolnik. While Gelinas could fetch something useful, especially for a playoff team, he has a NTC like Gratton, could prove a problem. What this team lacks this year and did not address in the offseason was a top line LW. One could argue that neither Horton nor Stumpel are really top line RWs (Bertuzzi is the actual top RW) but if we had a real top line LW, they'd already make Horton or Stumpel better players. It's time to drop the age and the slowness/"grit" for something more useful in the new NHL.
Pretty much everything I just wrote agrees 100% with what you say. Another top line player would have such a great impact on this team as it'd make everyone better at their role and responsabilities.
But then you said you'd be suprised if Nieuwendyk could string together 20 consecutive games???? I'd be surprised if he strung together 2 on more than the rare occasion.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Pretty much everything I just wrote agrees 100% with what you say. Another top line player would have such a great impact on this team as it'd make everyone better at their role and responsabilities.
But then you said you'd be suprised if Nieuwendyk could string together 20 consecutive games???? I'd be surprised if he strung together 2 on more than the rare occasion.
Lol well I was being generous. Hey I love Newy like anyone else, and yeah I think he already managed more than 2 games in a row, but unfortunately him retiring or not isn't very useful. Remember it's still a cap hit at this age. HOWEVER, if he got on Long Term IR, well that's different, though I don't see him doing that. The only problem with what he is doing is that other players are relying on him and he keeps changing the chemistry back and forth of the lines when he comes and goes. Point is, they should acquire a forward or two REGARDLESS of whether he can stay healthy. Bertuzzi is out for many weeks, isn't that motivation enough to grab a forward? We may not be used to knowing what it's like to have a mega offensive push from a guy like Bertuzzi, but if the 8-3 Bruins game is any indication, the only game where he was truly healthy, I think it's safe to say we're missing a lot.

Here's where we suck: Shootouts, speed, penalties, enforcing. So I really hope we see a trade in the next few days because it's been pretty unacceptable to this point. If they keep going this route then it will be just like, or worse, than last year.

Old
11-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
This team needs a major overhaul. I highly doubth that happening with Martin at helm. Belfour for GM?

Whats sad is that I can see us winning 1 game in the next 20 games and Martin wont do more than waiver some1 or pick some1 off waivers.

If we dont turn this around in the next 10 games we can once again write off this season before the half-way mark.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
First, Martin needs to stop taking failure suppostitories.

Second, trade a 3rd rounder for Darcy Hordichuk.

Third, call up Ari Vallin and sit Mezei for a few games.

Fourth, overpay in a trade for Alexi Kovalev.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Lauser3*

It is kind of early to tank the season, but we would be just putting off the inevitable. We do need an enforcer, and in today's NHL, Hordy is ideal. He can skate, and forecheck, not a defensive liability. Great in the clubhouse and in the community. His aggressiveness does lead to penalties, as with any physical player, but we seem to take so many stupid penalties without being physical that I would rather see the other team get pounded for a change. Bertuzzi was a waste, the trade would have been much better if we got a different forward. Goaltending has been adequate, but no worse than last year at this stage, when luongo was consisently bad. As the trade deadline approaches, Bertuzzi will be back so we can hope to trade him for a nice package to a team like the rangers along with some of our other soon to be goner free agents (for Prucha and Montoya). Guys that will go at the deadline are Roberts and Niewy, Stumpel, Gelinas (and he would definitely waive his no trade at that time) and Belfour. A lot of quality free agents will be available and hopefully we don't screw it up like keenan did last time. Lock up the young guys long term. We talk about this every year and our incompetent management screws it up every year. Same old story unfortunately.

Last edited by Lauser3*: 11-14-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Lauser3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Alright, now that we've pretty much assessed the needs by assessing the weaknesses, what's the answer?

I know this is a stretch, and I know this won't happen, but Buffalo will probably lose either Drury or Brierre at season's end. It won't happen because they don't want to break the team up and want the Cup, but I'd love to see this team land either of those guys. I've always liked Drury. I think guys like Horton are expendable for one of those 2.

Thoughts. Who else is a possibility?

I love the Hordichuk idea, though he may not be an option, from what I've heard things went sour before he left.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

I think it's all a moot point. Cohen's not going to fire Martin, Martin's not going to get rid of Horton (or any of our young guys-nor should he). Martin's not going to get any help before this season's over either.

You may as well just get your paper bags ready (for vomitting or placing over your head) and sit tight this season. I don't expect we'll see any major changes before June. Sad, but true. And I don't expect we'll see any superstar draft picks either.

If you read Martin's post-game comments on the Florida Panther's website, he wasn't all that upset over last night's loss. He thinks we played a solid game, we were just unlucky. Maybe he'll change his mind after reviewing the tapes. Who knows.

Signed,

Ambivalent Panther Fan

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
I think a change in management would do more harm than good at this point. I'm all out of answers.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Acadmus

Wow...there's this neat little feature on these boards where you can click on a user's name and it'll bring you to their public profile, and from there you can select an option to put them on "ignore" and no longer see their posts! Imagine that!

And it works great, too, until people FRICKIN' QUOTE THEM ALL THE TIME IN ORDER TO ARGUE WITH THEM WHEN THEY KNOW THERE'S NO POINT!!!

11-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Sounds good to me.

Old
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
Wow...there's this neat little feature on these boards where you can click on a user's name and it'll bring you to their public profile, and from there you can select an option to put them on "ignore" and no longer see their posts! Imagine that!

And it works great, too, until people FRICKIN' QUOTE THEM ALL THE TIME IN ORDER TO ARGUE WITH THEM WHEN THEY KNOW THERE'S NO POINT!!!
There is also a report a post button that works really well. And if a poster trolls too often they get eliminated from the site.

Please feel free to use this feature.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

I haven't been here long enough to know if Mike_Ness is a troll or not. I will say that he sounds like everyone else here...frustrated that this team doesn't produce. I don't necessarily think that's trolling. It IS what we're discussing in this thread, and on any given night-MOST threads.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but all these talks of trades and firing seem so pointless to me. It's not like we get to vote on any of this. The franchise is going to do what they want to do, regardless of what the fans think. The only way we can get OUR point across to Cohen and Company is to not show up to the games. Which, for me anyway, is easier said than done. I love this team whether we're at the top of our game, or at the bottom. But I'm loyal like that. I realize not everyone holds the same opinion of our Cats. I'm ok with that. So MN can bash all he wants. It's no skin off my back.

ETA: I also think CdnCzeSniper96 puts a lot of thought into his posts. I've learned a lot from reading your stuff.

Old
11-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post

I don't like using the ignore feature. I don't mind a debate, a good healthy one ... This thread was coming along just fine...

Last edited by Happy Girl: 11-14-2006 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Trolling or quoting trolling
Old
11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I haven't been here long enough to know if Mike_Ness is a troll or not. I will say that he sounds like everyone else here...frustrated that this team doesn't produce. I don't necessarily think that's trolling. It IS what we're discussing in this thread, and on any given night-MOST threads.

Perhaps I'm missing the point, but all these talks of trades and firing seem so pointless to me. It's not like we get to vote on any of this. The franchise is going to do what they want to do, regardless of what the fans think. The only way we can get OUR point across to Cohen and Company is to not show up to the games. Which, for me anyway, is easier said than done. I love this team whether we're at the top of our game, or at the bottom. But I'm loyal like that. I realize not everyone holds the same opinion of our Cats. I'm ok with that. So MN can bash all he wants. It's no skin off my back.
If you are not a fan of the team, then constantly going to that team board to be critical of their team is trolling by definition.

This is just a reminder.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
If you are not a fan of the team, then constantly going to that team board to be critical of their team is trolling by definition.

This is just a reminder.
Thanks!

Old
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Now...back on topc.

I know, Lola, that we don't necessarily have a say in what the team does. But I enjoy hearing what possible options are. I enjoy seeing other poster's ideas in what the team should do. Why not throw em out there?

Team needs: A solid enforcer who can play.
A speedy forward who can play top minutes and really add to the offense and put a spark in Olli.
I think that a high energy guy like Janssen (would answer enforcer issue as well) or exelby who will hit anything out there would be great also.

Old
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
There is also a report a post button that works really well. And if a poster trolls too often they get eliminated from the site.

Please feel free to use this feature.
Now that's how I spell 'relief'

Anyway, I've come around about a half dozen games ago and am with Laus723 and Lauser3 as the chief proponents for getting an enforcer. Don't trade, just scour the minor leagues for someone who can skate, play halfway decent defense, and who can scare the bejeezus out of the opposition's dirty players. I don't care if they've got the offensive skills of a crumpled, burned Cardboard Biron.

It'll take a dozen games or so for anyone to build a rep in order for the other teams to show some respect, so it needs to be done NOW. Of course, if the lack of "team toughness" has something to do with Martin's coaching as opposed to the current mix of players, then perhaps he needs to have some sense smacked into him - maybe he needs to be beaten up by one of the other team's chippy players.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Now...back on topc.

I know, Lola, that we don't necessarily have a say in what the team does. But I enjoy hearing what possible options are. I enjoy seeing other poster's ideas in what the team should do. Why not throw em out there?
I know. I agree with a lot of what's been posted already. I'm just resigned to the fact we suck again, and nothing's going to change.

Old
11-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I know. I agree with a lot of what's been posted already. I'm just resigned to the fact we suck again, and nothing's going to change.
HAHA...booooo.

I know what you mean, though. It doesn't seem that Martin wants to do much, and even though he had McGratton and Neil on the Sens, he apparently doesn't like enforcers.

Old
11-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
HAHA...booooo.

I know what you mean, though. It doesn't seem that Martin wants to do much, and even though he had McGratton and Neil on the Sens, he apparently doesn't like enforcers.
Ok...raise of hands here...

How many Panther fans thought we would have "Ottawa South" within 2 years of Martin taking over as coach?

I honestly thought we'd have a kick-a$$ team in place by now. If anything, I've never seen the Cats so...declawed...in the six seasons I've followed them.

I guess I see the problem with our team in the following areas:

-Coach needs to get the boys to play more physical. We seem to play better when we're delivering bone-crushing checks. We're going to get called for penalties regardless, so we may as well take some guys out while we're at it.

-Lack of speed. Gelinas is a wild man on the ice, and Bouw skates like the wind. But Horton and Stumple are slow as molasses. Give those boys some speed skating lessons. Which leads me to...

-Lack of respect. If you don't have speed you'd better have muscle. Take away speed and muscle and you have the Florida Panthers.

-Lack of confidence. Too much hesitation on shooting causes us to turn over the puck (see Nathan Horton), or passing the puck. We see more passing on any given night than shots. And the passes are not producing.

-Demote the 'stars'. Put the third and fourth liners up on the top line. That's where the energy is anyway. Send a message to the 'stars' on this team that they aren't entitled to anything if they don't produce.

While I'm not a big fan of the 'tough love' approach Tortorella takes with the Lightning, I think making excuses for the team (which is what Martin did last night) is far worse. I thought it was pretty awful the way he handled the LeCavalier situation at first, but look at Vinny now. He's having a hell of a season now.

-"Two Number-1 Goalies". What a crock. We don't have two number 1 goalies. We have two number two goalies. Make a decision as to who the number 1 is going to be and stick with it. This wishy-washy 'who's it going to be tonight in net' is stupid. I don't care how many games Belfour has played, if he has the hot hand, keep him in net. Don't put Auld in for the sake of putting him in.

That's all I can think of for now. Don't rip me apart too bad...it's just my limited knowledge of the game.

Old
11-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Show these players some 1996 Panthers hockey tapes!!

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 01:20 PM
PantherBlood6*

i'm not in full panic mode yet. i still see alot of good in this team, they just make alot of elementary mistakes. for the most part, we have played a good hockey game but end up losing because of penalties/stupid mistakes. those things can be corrected....but they better do it soon because you can just feel the season slipping away like it did last november.

there isn't much martin (or anyone) can do at this point. no team wants to quit on the season this early...hell, the flyers are 3-13 and they are even looking for immediate help. no one is going to trade any of their (good) players unless they have a contract they want to dump or are considered dead weight.

i actually feel we missed an oppurtunity yesterday when the ducks dealt fedoruk and chistov. i would have taken both of those guys and ran. fedoruk is one of the few enforcers that can play a little bit. chistov has struggled but still has alot of ability. he hasn't struggled because of a lack of effort either (huselius)...he hustles and is skilled, i feel most guys like that will eventually find success.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote