HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...what does Martin do now?

Old
11-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Lauser3*

vCash: 500
This talk of taking away the "C" and giving it to Newey makes absolutely no sense on many levels. Jokinen has been with the team the longest and been the most consistent point producer for years. He plays hurt, in all situations, hustles, and does all of the little things from a number one center should do -- and unlke our former primadonna poster by -- he actually wanted to be here by signing a long term contract for less than he could have squeezed out on the open market. Niewy is a definite hall of famer and still a great talent, but he is at the end of the road. His body can break down at any time and then what? no captain again. Once you take away the "C" you can't give it back. it is a slap int he face on many levels. Ollie is not the problem. Trading for a classless past his prime Bertuzzi and hoping he would be our savior, now that was a mistake. Not having a tough guy around so that other teams don't physically intimidate us, another problem. Not getting consistent, spread out scoring and taking too many lazy penalties, more problems. Ollie has been and continuos to be one of our only consistent bright spots.

Lauser3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:59 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
However, my argument is the intangible. Our team as a whole players harder when Niewy's in the lineup. Niewy's a better leader than Olli is. Kinda reminds me of what Skrudland and Mellanby were to this team.
Skrudland was really tight captain, he even decided where players' wifes parked their cars in Miami Arena.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:15 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch many games this season, so my opinion won't hold much weight (as if it ever really did).

From what I'm reading in articles and on the forum, Martin is still juggling the lines way too much. I know injuries have played a role in some of that juggling, but there have been numerous times he's done it to get a spark going for the team.

The lack of cohesiveness and structure in this organization continues to be it's fatal flaw.

We enter this season thinking we've finally got a set management staff, and then Keenan gets the boot. Martin dons the GM hat, but it's apparent he hasn't yet found the right fit for his coach's hat. Not to mention, we find out he was instrumental in Keenan's removal.

I don't doubt a trust issue has surfaced from that slice of drama, as we've already witnessed several disgruntled players: Gratton, Belfour and Roberts just to name a few.

And the inconsistencies continue on the ice. The injuries mount, and some of our Panthers find themselves in roles they may not be properly prepared for.

Martin has a lot on his plate, and I'm afraid his approach may not be best suited for the level of turmoil and conflict this organization has a knack for attracting.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:35 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherBlood6 View Post
i like niewendyk - but the writing is on the wall. he considered retirement during last season and this past offseason as well. im guessing he didn't because he felt he had an obligation to the panthers, and when healthy he is still an asset, but his contract is up after this season and it will be all for him. his back is made out of spaghetti.

hopefully we can make one last run for nieuwy and let him out on top.
If he returns and he is willing to play with Panthers, what kind of salary would be right for him, half of what he is making now, some kind of incentive laden deal (are they allowed anymore?)

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch many games this season, so my opinion won't hold much weight (as if it ever really did).

From what I'm reading in articles and on the forum, Martin is still juggling the lines way too much. I know injuries have played a role in some of that juggling, but there have been numerous times he's done it to get a spark going for the team.

The lack of cohesiveness and structure in this organization continues to be it's fatal flaw.

We enter this season thinking we've finally got a set management staff, and then Keenan gets the boot. Martin dons the GM hat, but it's apparent he hasn't yet found the right fit for his coach's hat. Not to mention, we find out he was instrumental in Keenan's removal.

I don't doubt a trust issue has surfaced from that slice of drama, as we've already witnessed several disgruntled players: Gratton, Belfour and Roberts just to name a few.

And the inconsistencies continue on the ice. The injuries mount, and some of our Panthers find themselves in roles they may not be properly prepared for.

Martin has a lot on his plate, and I'm afraid his approach may not be best suited for the level of turmoil and conflict this organization has a knack for attracting.
Pretty right on...you haven't watched many games?

11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Pretty right on...you haven't watched many games?
Been in NC since late August without access to FSN or Center Ice.

Hopefully, I'll get that squared away next weekend.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote