HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Columbus/Syracuse

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-15-2006, 12:18 AM
  #1
Neill99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Columbus/Syracuse

How come every NHL team wants to move there team closer and Columbus resigns with the Syracuse Crunch?.I know there triple A baseball team is until 2008 to get the Cleveland Indians or The Cincinnati Reds.Why don't the Blue Jackets do the same?.They could in 2008?.

Neill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:29 AM
  #2
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill99 View Post
How come every NHL team wants to move there team closer and Columbus resigns with the Syracuse Crunch?.I know there triple A baseball team is until 2008 to get the Cleveland Indians or The Cincinnati Reds.Why don't the Blue Jackets do the same?.They could in 2008?.
I don't think you can say that EVERY team wants to move their affiliate closer. The Sharks moved their affiliate further east, farther from the team. Anaheim moved from Cincinnati to Portland, Maine, also further away. Sure, you could point to Peoria moving closer and potentially the Blackhawks, but I don't think it is the overwhelming goal of EVERY team to get closer.

Maybe Columbus is just comfortable with the management and operations in Syracuse.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
  #3
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
I believe the reason San Jose went to Worcester from Cleveland is after the Blues fiasco to Peoria and Anaheim being in Portland and the Atlantic Division is within a 6 hour ride from Portland to Hartford & Bridgeport, which has been stated before on these boards and to rectify the error made by St. Louis.

Besides, everyone knew in 2001 that if hockey is that successful in Cleveland why are so many teams attempted to play there and are no longer there for a variety of reasons.

I don't think many fans want or like to see a successful market like Worcester go too long without something to cheer for. In effect trying to electrify the fanbase the way the Ice Cats did early in their existence before business forced the decision that was made.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
  #4
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Maybe Columbus is just comfortable with the management and operations in Syracuse.
I just think they have a snow fetish.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
  #5
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
I believe the reason San Jose went to Worcester from Cleveland is after the Blues fiasco to Peoria and Anaheim being in Portland and the Atlantic Division is within a 6 hour ride from Portland to Hartford & Bridgeport, which has been stated before on these boards *CUT*.
I'm with you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Besides, everyone knew in 2001 that if hockey is that successful in Cleveland why are so many teams attempted to play there and are no longer there for a variety of reasons.

I don't think many fans want or like to see a successful market like Worcester go too long without something to cheer for. In effect trying to electrify the fanbase the way the Ice Cats did early in their existence before business forced the decision that was made.
I don't necessarily think it is the Cleveland market's fault for the unsuccessful pro hockey teams they've had over the years. I would think, based on what I've read from a few posters familiar with Cleveland, that it is more the management of the teams that has done a poor job promoting their game. San Jose has not had the most impressive track record as owners of their own AHL affiliate. And I wouldn't think that their ownership philosophy will change because they moved to Worcester despite Worcester being a "successful market".

However, this is a Columbus/Syracuse thread, so I digress.

It was mentioned at the time Columbus re-upped with Syracuse that the two franchises had a good working relationship that the Blue Jackets felt they wanted to continue. There are other examples of this, Milwaukee/Nashville and Atlanta/Chicago (can Majik confirm this?) where the front offices of the parent club are not located near the front offices of the affiliate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
I just think they have a snow fetish.
Where NY snow is so much more pure than Columbus snow?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:35 PM
  #6
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
It was mentioned at the time Columbus re-upped with Syracuse that the two franchises had a good working relationship that the Blue Jackets felt they wanted to continue. There are other examples of this, Milwaukee/Nashville and Atlanta/Chicago (can Majik confirm this?) where the front offices of the parent club are not located near the front offices of the affiliate.
I believe it is getting better. I think it was fairly rocky there for a while to the point a future Chicago/Atlanta affiliation was in doubt. It has been pretty well documented that outside of Kari Lehtonen and Braydon Coburn (I include him only from his draft poistion), the Thrashers were not sending any top notch talent to the team. The draft picks we were getting were fourth round or later for the most part with a top potential of a third line defensive player at the NHL level. don't get me wrong; you need those players in the NHL, they can be good players in the AHL, and a lot of them were and are embraced by Wolves fans as a favorite. However, when it came to scoring and skilled talent, the Wolves had to sign these guys on there own.

Now, Atlanta doesn't HAVE to send top talent down, but as an independently owned, big market franchise, the Wolves have to win in order to maintain their fanbase and continue to sell tickets. They also have ownership that is committed to putting a winning team on the ice, no matter the financial or relationship cost. Thus, you have what happened in the lockout season; when the Wolves signed Joe Corvo late in the year and went out and got Bouwmeester and Weiss to play even later in the season. This obviously shelved some Atlanta guys. Don Waddell was quoted as saying the move would slow the development of players who's spots were taken. OK, Atlanta gets mad.

Like said up above, the Wolves were able to do sign top end skill guys on their own, that was until the new CBA came out that drove a lot of skilled veterans to Europe. Guys who were marginal NHL'ers but pretty good AHL'ers that had been holding out hope of a shot with an NHL team. The new CBA made impossible. The Wolves were left without guys to sign, and Atlanta was sending no talent down. Not to mention the fact that Atlanta had no contingency for goalie injuries. As a result, the Wolves missed the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, not an acceptable result for an ownership group committed to winning. Now, Chicago is mad.

I don't remember where I read it, but I know that the Wolves said that they were not happy with the support Atlanta had given them, and would have to "e-evaluate the the relationship" (or something to affect) if things didn't change. Management sent a letter to full and half season ticket holders saying that not making the playoffs was unacceptable and things would change.

So that brings us to the present. What happened in the offseason? Well, Atlanta signed far more fledgling NHL talent than it could possibly keep on their active roster and sent some them to the Wolves (Haydar, Wanvig, & Krog), made a contingency plan at goalie (Brathwaite), and has sent some talent to the Wolves (LaVallee, Sterling, Bourrett, Ostyrick etc.) Sure, there are still some low end guys around (Mackenzie, Crabb, Stuart), but that's natural. So, Atlanta has given something to the Wolves.

The Wolves, on the other hand, have worked more closely with Atlanta's coaching staff to try to play their system and get the players acclimated to it before they get to the NHL.

So bottom line, I don't think the relationship was always good, and I think it was starting to go sour, but I think I see signs that the relationship is getting better as a result of the give and take on both sides. I also think the affiliation will continue.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:01 PM
  #7
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred View Post
Where NY snow is so much more pure than Columbus snow?
Never said that.

We just get way, way more (120 inches a year.) That's what I meant.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
  #8
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Never said that.

We just get way, way more (120 inches a year.) That's what I meant.
That's where the fetish comes in, my bad. My post was more along the lines of addiction rather than fetish.

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.