HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Forsberg's future ...

Old
11-15-2006, 08:19 AM
puckstopper55

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Peter Forsberg's future ...

According to EJ Hradek Forsberg's days in phili are numbered.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...me%3dhradek_ej

Do you think the Isles should try and trade for him? And if so what do you think we should give up?

Last edited by puckstopper55: 11-15-2006 at 03:43 PM.
puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Capt Reynolds

I think he's still a phenomenal talent, but I'd pass -- I don't think we have the cap room, even if we did I believe he's a UFA at season's end and I wouldn't give up what Forsberg would cost just to rent him for a year that we likely aren't winning the Cup anyway, I don't think Forsberg would welcome a trade to the Isles and I think Philly will get enough offers not to have to trade him to a divisional rival. Personally I see him heading back home to Colorado, or perhaps to San Jose for one of their goalies.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:29 AM
BJo

This is a no-brainer. You absolutely do NOT trade for him. I'm not sure when he becomes a free agent but sources have said he wants to go back to colorado or back to sweden. There is no way this guy would resign here. Absolutely no way. I'm not giving up Okposo and Comeau and a 1st rounder for a 1 year rental. I don't even know if that would be enough to get him.

As i said in the thread for Brad Stuart, I'm not ready to give up the prospects. I think we've done that too much in the past. Unless we prove that we're actualy a playoff team, and forsberg could make the difference between winning a cup and losing in the first round, I dont make the deal. It's just not worth it to give up our future to make the playoffs and lose early. We're trying to build a championship team, not a playoff team (Why our actions in 2001 may have been shortsighted)

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:30 AM
E_Godard

I really didnt see that coming.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
This is a no-brainer. You absolutely do NOT trade for him. I'm not sure when he becomes a free agent but sources have said he wants to go back to colorado or back to sweden. There is no way this guy would resign here. Absolutely no way. I'm not giving up Okposo and Comeau and a 1st rounder for a 1 year rental. I don't even know if that would be enough to get him.

As i said in the thread for Brad Stuart, I'm not ready to give up the prospects. I think we've done that too much in the past. Unless we prove that we're actualy a playoff team, and forsberg could make the difference between winning a cup and losing in the first round, I dont make the deal. It's just not worth it to give up our future to make the playoffs and lose early. We're trying to build a championship team, not a playoff team (Why our actions in 2001 may have been shortsighted)
Exactly. In no way do I deal for him. In all liklihood, he would not re-sign with us, so we'd be renting him for the rest of the year, then he's gone. In addition, who would we give up to make up for his $5.7 million salary and I see Philly wanting a young guy in return. So, you trade say, Satan, someone else, and maybe Nilsson to satisfy Philly's desire for youth for a guy that most likely wouldn't want to play here and will disappear at the end of the year.

No way.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Aucoin3

Not interested in a high paid injury prone cry baby. I'll pass. Seeing him tell Ken Hitchcock that he didnt want to shoot in the shootout against the Rangers sickened me.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Trottier
Very Random

An elite world-class talent who has won everything. One of the very best players of his time.

No contract obligation beyond this season.

If he is standing (relatively) healthy come March and is willing to waive his no trade clause, contenders will line up.

For when he is able to lace them up, he remains the best player on the ice. And a true contender is only thinking about April and May (and early June).

The Isles do not fit that description. Makes no sense for the team or player.

Depending on where these teams stand come March (in the standings and cap-wise), he would be a great playoff run addition to: NYR, Ottawa, Toronto (overlooked on HF, IMO), Atlanta, Montreal, Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado and Minnesota, off the top of my head.

Last edited by Trottier: 11-15-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Dartmouth 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
An elite world-class talent who has won everything. One of the very best players of his time.

No contract obligation beyond this season.

If he is standing (relatively) healthy come March and is willing to waive his no trade clause, contenders will line up.

For when he is able to lace them up, he remains the best player on the ice. And a true contender is only thinking about April and May (and early June).

The Isles do not fit that description. Makes no sense for the team or player.

Depending on where these teams stand come March (in the standings and cap-wise), he would be a great playoff run addition to: NYR, Ottawa, Toronto (overlooked on HF, IMO), Atlanta, Anaheim, Colorado and Minnesota, off the top of my head.
Toronto is an intriguing possibility, but if I'm not mistaken their cap situation makes it unlikely. But wow, what a tempest that would stir up up north. I think Detroit, Colorado and Ottawa are the most likely destinations.

Dartmouth 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouth 02 View Post
Toronto is an intriguing possibility, but if I'm not mistaken their cap situation makes it unlikely. But wow, what a tempest that would stir up up north. I think Detroit, Colorado and Ottawa are the most likely destinations.
Yep, I'm not even sure on the cap situation with most of the teams I mentioned. I could see a real battle heating up among a few western teams, as Calgary, Detroit and Anaheim, and even Colorado and Minnesota would not be happy with the thought of facing him come April.

He would make NYR "whole" giving them Cup caliber talent down the middle (w/ Nylander and Cullen), whereas currently, they are not at that level. Thing is, they have some young talent to trade too.

If healthy (big "if") he truly could be the differencemaker for any team that acquires him. A few people get caught up in his injuries (justifiably), as well as some of the other nonsensical crap (his diving, etc.).

They overlook that he remains a GREAT player.

Old
11-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Dartmouth 02

Quote:
Yep, I'm not even sure on the cap situation with most of the teams I mentioned. I could see a real battle heating up among a few western teams, as Calgary, Detroit and Anaheim, and even Colorado and Minnesota would not be happy with the thought of facing him come April.

He would make NYR "whole" giving them Cup caliber talent down the middle (w/ Nylander and Cullen), whereas currently, they are not at that level. Thing is, they have some young talent to trade too.

If healthy (big "if") he truly could be the differencemaker for any team that acquires him. A few people get caught up in his injuries (justifiably), as well as some of the other nonsensical crap (his diving, etc.).

They overlook that he remains a GREAT player.
I prefer not to think about him winding up in MSG. Honestly, as much as he would instantly become an absolute force on that team, I dont think he would give them the push he could give some other teams. The one thing Forsberg doesnt add at a gamebreaking level is speed, which was the Flyers bugaboo last spring, and I have a hunch could undo the Rags as well.

Dear lord, imagine him on the Sharks.

I personally consider Foppa to be one of the 5 greatest players I have seen in my lifetime. The guy is just a different breed, there really havent been many like him in history. As a fan, I wish he would have stayed in COL. Hes one of the few players worth the cost of admission all on his own.

Dartmouth 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmouth 02 View Post
Ottawa is intriguing - might these two teams be interested in a Swap of Swedes, with regular season stud but playoff tin man Alfredsson going to Philly for Forsberg? Forsberg (if healthy) is everything the Sens lack, and they would be able to resign him if Alfie is off the books. For the Flyers, they get a younger, proven performer to lift them back to respectability in the regular season (which at this point is enough for them) and who is young enough to help turn things around for them.

EDIT -- Dartmouth, as for Peter heading to Broadway, he's not exactly slow, and could you imagine his playmaking and vision paired with Jagr? Unstoppable scoring.

Capt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Many of you are giving many, many reasons why we should not go after Forsberg and I agree with every one of you. But MOST, not all, are leaving out the most important thing... The guy is ALWAYS hurt. When was the last time he played through a full season? He is a GREAT talent but has been riddled with injuries throughout his entire career.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Many of you are giving many, many reasons why we should not go after Forsberg and I agree with every one of you. But MOST, not all, are leaving out the most important thing... The guy is ALWAYS hurt. When was the last time he played through a full season? He is a GREAT talent but has been riddled with injuries throughout his entire career.
Totally agree. Great talent is useless when it's sitting on a stretcher or in the trainer's room...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I wouldn't be suprised to see Calgary make a play at Forsberg. Tanguay seems to be best suited for a secondary scoring role.

Another possibility is Vancouver, who is desperate for scoring help, although I don't know what they'd give up in return. Possibly Edler.

Toronto is an intriguing possibility, since they've quietly had a good season so far... the problem there is that I imagine that Philly will want at least 1 solid, young player and Toronto don't have much to offer unless they're willing to part with the likes of Wellwood or Steen.

Detroit might make a play. They might be willing to offer Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

I have a hard time believing that the Flyers will deal with the Rangers on a trade of this magnitude.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 09:14 PM
st bonnies*

welcome to Long Island Mr Forsberg

sign this guy......a real talent. a guy that compares to a mike Bossy type. Would love to get this guy. O'marra and Nillso n for Peter forsberg?? In a minute!

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:26 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by st bonnies View Post
sign this guy......a real talent. a guy that compares to a mike Bossy type. Would love to get this guy. O'marra and Nillso n for Peter forsberg?? In a minute!
I don't know about that. Forsberg has really dropped off in the past couple of years, and is not exactly immune to injuries. I think that we could get something better for O'Marra and Nilsson. I don't think he compares to Bossy either. Bossy was a pure sniper, someone who could bury the puck from anywhere. Forsberg is a power forward with a great set of hands. All this is probably besides the fact, I don't think the Flyers would trade him inside the conference let alone their own division.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyymt62 View Post
I don't know about that. Forsberg has really dropped off in the past couple of years, and is not exactly immune to injuries.
Your point about his injuries is not debatable. I'd respectfully disagree about his play having dropped whatsoever, let alone "really dropped off," over the last couple of years.

I watch the guy virtually every game, as I consider him one of the greats of this era, a once in a generation type, and I want to enjoy him while he's around. (Younger fans want to know what Bryan Trottier and Mark Messier brought nightly to the ice in their day, in the way of combined skill and competiveness, will see no better modern day comparsion than #21.)

IMO, Forsberg has not lost a thing. He remains to this day the most dominant player on the ice in a vast majority of games in which he plays. The issue is his health.

Old
11-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Roman Tanner

Peter Forsberg's future ... will not involve the New York Islanders...

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
sign this guy......a real talent. a guy that compares to a mike Bossy type.
Mmmm never really thought of Forsberg as a Mike Bossy type...

regardless....no reason for Peter to come to Islanders

11-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
I dont think this thread is really about him coming to the isles too much. I think its more of a discussion thing. We all know there is no way he is coming to us and i agree...he is no Bossy

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Your point about his injuries is not debatable. I'd respectfully disagree about his play having dropped whatsoever, let alone "really dropped off," over the last couple of years.

I watch the guy virtually every game, as I consider him one of the greats of this era, a once in a generation type, and I want to enjoy him while he's around. (Younger fans want to know what Bryan Trottier and Mark Messier brought nightly to the ice in their day, in the way of combined skill and competiveness, will see no better modern day comparsion than #21.)

IMO, Forsberg has not lost a thing. He remains to this day the most dominant player on the ice in a vast majority of games in which he plays. The issue is his health.
I agree with you that Forsberg is still a very good player, at least in the top twenty players playing right now. But I do think his play has dropped off in the past couple of years. He simply is not the same force as he used to be. I think a lot of it has to do with injuries, but I don't think he drives to the net as hard and is just not as overpowering as he used to be. I am not a big numbers person, but if you look at his numbers for this season, they certainly indicate some sort of drop off- even though it is very early. I think Forsberg is a very good player, but I don't think he is as good as he used to be.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Yes he is hurt all the time. but Even whe he is hurt he still puts up Solid points.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Two first round picks for a impending UFA who we can't hope to resign (give the payroll commitments to Cash-in, the Rick, etc..).

No thanks.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote