HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we have too many forwards ?

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
gpearson1968

vCash: 450
Do we have too many forwards ?

Just wondering if we're holding on to too many forwards. After Oates is here and Reasoner recovers, we'll have :

LW

Isbister
Moreau
Smyth
York
Chimmer
Torres

RW

Dvorak
Laraque
Hemsky
Pisani
Salmelainen

C

Oates
Horcroff
Stoll
Reasoner
Sarno

Even if Salme and Chimmer and 1 or two other guys ride the PB, or get sent down, do you think that Lowe is looking at sending a bunch of guys + Comrie anywhere ? Throw in Rita and we definately have got too many.

What d'ya think ?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
11-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500
Yes, I came to the same conclusion a few nights ago. Although, Chimera and Horcoff can still turn out to be decent NHL'ers, I think they both must be shipped off to loosen the log jam. I would like to give Rita a chance with the big club before shipping him off. So maybe he can get Chimera's part time job at wing.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Oilhitch

I guess this goes to show the depth that the Oilers have. Not to mention Rita. IMO he couild be playing hockey in the NHL for a number of teams right now.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:37 PM
WFHACommish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I guess this goes to show the depth that the Oilers have. Not to mention Rita. IMO he couild be playing hockey in the NHL for a number of teams right now.
personally, I don't mind this...It is one of the reason why we're doing pretty well right now..without reasoner, isbister for a while.

It will pay off come playoff time.
You can never have too much depth.
Rita will develop on the farm..no need to hurry with him.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:41 PM
PineJockey

Ya, we are back to having the problem that we were all discussing in pre-season: too many left wingers. We solved it early on by having Comrie sit out and moving Smyth to centre, but now with Oates the right wing and centre positions each have four 'solid' players plus one guy who can come off doughnut row to spice things up when someone is playing poorly. The left wing has to sacrifice at least one player who should be getting time.

Moreau has been arguably our best forward, Smyth and York are not going to sit no matter what happens. This means that Izzy, Torres and Chimmer are fighting it out for the last spot. Personally, I think it is tough to sit out either Izzy or Torres. Granted Izzy hasn't been spectacular yet, but he sure has moments, and he was looking pretty good before breaking his neck. Torres has been, well, Torres. How can you sit him?

Something has to give, but I have no clue what. Trading Horc doesn't help much unless you move York to centre but I prefer him on the wing. Besides, I think Horc is actually a good fit and I wouldn't rush to trade him. Can York play the right side giving us D-Vo, York, Hemsky and then Laraque, Pisani, Salmo rotating? I would hate to break up D-Vo, York though, they have been dynamite.

Old
11-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
personally, I don't mind this...It is one of the reason why we're doing pretty well right now..without reasoner, isbister for a while.

It will pay off come playoff time.
You can never have too much depth.
Rita will develop on the farm..no need to hurry with him.

I think that it is great as well.

Just look at some of the other prospects in the system as well.

Centre alone:

Pouliot, Niinimaki.

Old
11-19-2003, 01:15 PM
WFHACommish

I just look at it this way.

Would you rather have too much..or too little?

Old
11-19-2003, 02:12 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Good teams all have too many NHL-calibre players. It's a huge part of being a good team. We are still a couple pieces away of course, and I really hope no one is getting complacent here. We are in a better position, in fact a fairly good position, BUT we are also in position to continue improving the squad. Parts could be converted into more needed parts to turn this into a truly dangerous team. Call me nuts, but here's what you do: Make a trade for a solid young d-man, acquire a younger goalie and likely deal Salo, then pick up a sniper (my man PB!) at the deadline. That last move could easily be made worth the financial gamble, and our new center has played with him before. If Comrie re-signs, you alter the situation slightly and we have a young elite center again, one less problem. Then you move additional parts in the same fashion, but maybe me acquire a slightly lesser d-man, and still the young tender. There are a ton of possiblities out there, and we need to look at all of them. ESPECIALLY if we continue to play well.

Old
11-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
Can York play the right side giving us D-Vo, York, Hemsky and then Laraque, Pisani, Salmo rotating? I would hate to break up D-Vo, York though, they have been dynamite.

Isbister prefers to play on the right side, and I believe some of his slow start can be attributed to that. The point being, having Smyth, Torres, Moreau and Chimera on the left side looks pretty good.

The right side is what is clogged with Hemsky, Dvo, Isbister, York (he prefers the right side I believe), Pisani and Laraque with Salmalainen and Rita waiting in the wings. (pun intended)

If I were pulling the trigger on a trade I'd look to move Big Georges as he seems to be the most out of place. That is unless the NHL finally decides to remove the hated instigator rule. But I'm not counting on that.

Let me know what you think.

T

Old
11-19-2003, 02:44 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
York plays the LW or C

Old
11-19-2003, 02:46 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
Just wondering if we're holding on to too many forwards. After Oates is here and Reasoner recovers, we'll have :

LW

Isbister
Moreau
Smyth
York
Chimmer
Torres

RW

Dvorak
Laraque
Hemsky
Pisani
Salmelainen

C

Oates
Horcroff
Stoll
Reasoner
Sarno

Even if Salme and Chimmer and 1 or two other guys ride the PB, or get sent down, do you think that Lowe is looking at sending a bunch of guys + Comrie anywhere ? Throw in Rita and we definately have got too many.

What d'ya think ?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Well, technically there is too many forwards in your list but surely they can send some of them packing. I see at least 4 or 5 guys that could still be in the minors. The signing of Oates helps the FO dept. big time but I am not sold on him getting 40 or 50 pts.

Stoll, IMO, is not ready for the NHL just yet. Neither is Salmalainen or Sarno. Send those guys down. Chimera is just plain brutal but he is a good 13th F. Other than that, the forward lines should be decent enough to battle for a playoff spot.

The bad thing is their "D". Maybe if they can trade some of those prospects or Comrie for a top 4 D. Staios is very good defensively but he is almost all alone in that department. Brewer has taken steps back and is nowhere near a Olympic / World Cup spot anymore. Semenov, Bergeron need some time to get things together. Cross & Ferguson are horrible....plain and simple. So if they have too many F's like you say, they should trade for a D.....NOW !!

Old
11-19-2003, 03:29 PM
gpearson1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
The bad thing is their "D". Maybe if they can trade some of those prospects or Comrie for a top 4 D. Staios is very good defensively but he is almost all alone in that department. Brewer has taken steps back and is nowhere near a Olympic / World Cup spot anymore. Semenov, Bergeron need some time to get things together. Cross & Ferguson are horrible....plain and simple. So if they have too many F's like you say, they should trade for a D.....NOW !!
I believe that's what I was trying to get to. Overall, I think it would benefit this team to lose a little of their depth at forward, because we some to spare, and shore up our Defense. Especially when you throw Comrie into a trade package, we could actually get ourselves a decent stud.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
11-19-2003, 04:04 PM
jadeddog

well samlo and sarno are farm hands playing for the big club right now, so you can take both of them out of the equation.... york i think will stay at center so that also clears up the wing glut a little bit

smyth-oates-hemsky
torres-york-dvorak
moreau-reasoner-pisani
isbister-stoll-laraque

this leaves chimera and horcoff as the press box boys (who would be pretty good replacement players for injuries) and salmo and sarno in the AHL (where i think they belong anyhow)... i personally dont really see the problem in this at ALL.... having 2 NHL caliber players for injury replacement is a VERY good thing, hell its part of why we're winning games right now... i dont think we really need to do anything in ways of a trade (other than comrie obviously)

Old
11-19-2003, 04:54 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Good teams all have too many NHL-calibre players. It's a huge part of being a good team. We are still a couple pieces away of course, and I really hope no one is getting complacent here. We are in a better position, in fact a fairly good position, BUT we are also in position to continue improving the squad. Parts could be converted into more needed parts to turn this into a truly dangerous team. Call me nuts, but here's what you do: Make a trade for a solid young d-man, acquire a younger goalie and likely deal Salo, then pick up a sniper (my man PB!) at the deadline. That last move could easily be made worth the financial gamble, and our new center has played with him before. If Comrie re-signs, you alter the situation slightly and we have a young elite center again, one less problem. Then you move additional parts in the same fashion, but maybe me acquire a slightly lesser d-man, and still the young tender. There are a ton of possiblities out there, and we need to look at all of them. ESPECIALLY if we continue to play well.
Trading Salo=impossible, no one wants him at his price. Trading for young goalie=impossible unless you want to wave Conklin, or send salo to the minors. As for trading for a sniper and a young d-man, great if it could happen, but I think we don't have the money after the oates deal. Peter Bondra (who I believe is the man you're alluding to) is definaty not affordable. And if he was on the trade block, many teams contenders would want him and would be willing to sacrifice a piece of their future to get him. Since I seriously doubt we have a chance at lord stanley, it doesn't make any sense for us to do something like sacrificing a prospect for a guy who'll walk in the summer.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:42 PM
Oiler_Fan

Young forwards, like the Oilers have, are a bit of a crap shoot. You want to hang onto them as long as you can to see how they progress. There are two major issues that will bring it to a head, that being the waiver rules regarding the protected list, and the players themselves starting to feel they should be regular NHL'ers while they are on the farm or in the PB.

I'd be happy if Lowe continues to hang on to as many as he can until some team looking to add depth comes knocking at the door with an offer too good to refuse.

Old
11-19-2003, 05:55 PM
jadeddog

thats a good point about young players.... lots of people on here are wanting to get rid of horcoff or pisani or chimera.... all of these guys are still young and have decent upside to them.... its tough to give up on a player when they are only 25 and played 2 seasons (or less).... i think people in edmonton get so used to young players we sometimes forget how long some of them take to develop

Old
11-19-2003, 06:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
Trading Salo=impossible, no one wants him at his price. Trading for young goalie=impossible unless you want to wave Conklin, or send salo to the minors. As for trading for a sniper and a young d-man, great if it could happen, but I think we don't have the money after the oates deal. Peter Bondra (who I believe is the man you're alluding to) is definaty not affordable. And if he was on the trade block, many teams contenders would want him and would be willing to sacrifice a piece of their future to get him. Since I seriously doubt we have a chance at lord stanley, it doesn't make any sense for us to do something like sacrificing a prospect for a guy who'll walk in the summer.
Getting rid of Salo is doable. Someone will need a goalie at some point and be willing to pay, just have to find the right time. 1.5 million isn't going to kill our financial situation, especially if Salo goes. Bondra is affordable as a deadline pickup if he's available, and so what if other people want him? If there's a good offer, do it. And if you can't get him, but someone like him, why not? We all talk about trading for a young d-man. Not having a chance is a pretty strong choice of words, I'd like anyone to go tell that to Ryan Smyth and the rest of the team. And who knows if you add the pieces I described, that was the point.

It wouldn't be easy, but, it's doable.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:12 AM
gpearson1968

Depth

Maybe I'm just not used to having real depth on our team, it's been awhile, fer sure. I'm still left with the feeling that a few of our forward should get packaged up with Comrie and sent on for a decent D-man.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Closed Thread