HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brian McGratton on Mike Komisarek hit

Old
11-15-2006, 01:54 PM

vCash: 500
Brian McGratton on Mike Komisarek hit

BUFFALO -- With his team struggling, Senators enforcer Brian McGrattan was already in a snarly mood.

Now, after being the victim of what he says is a double-standard by NHL referees, McGrattan's mood is even darker.

He has stitches across the bridge of his nose thanks to a dangerous hit from behind from Canadiens defenceman Mike Komisarek on Monday night, a hit that went unpenalized.

WENT BERSERK

After Komisarek slammed him into the window, McGrattan lay on the ice, stunned, for several moments before jumping to his feet and going berserk.

Linesman Steve Miller did a masterful job of wrestling McGrattan to the ice a couple of times and keeping him from causing widespread mayhem.

McGrattan said he was discussing the lack of a penalty call on Komisarek with teammate Chris Neil yesterday morning.

"That guy (Komisarek) throws cheap hits all the time. If that's me or (Neil), making that hit, it's five (minutes) and a game (misconduct), maybe a match penalty. No doubt about it," said McGrattan. "I hate how that works. If you're a tough guy, you don't get the calls. I'm used to it now."

Miller pulled McGrattan's sweater over his head and wrestled him to the ice and McGrattan should probably be thankful. He wound up with a 10-minute misconduct on the play, but if he had gotten loose and gone after Komisarek, it could have been a lot worse.

"(Miller) did a good job," said McGrattan. "He jerseyed me pretty good. I went up to him and apologized after and he was cool about it. I haven't snapped like that in a while."

Miller has a reputation for being classy and well liked by the players. Another guy in Miller's situation might have pushed for an abuse of official call.

Keep an eye on the McGrattan-Komisarek situation the next time the Habs and Senators meet Jan. 13.

I think I mentionned in an earlier thread that my first reaction to the hit was that it was legal, I didn't see anything wrong with the hit whatsoever. However, I did see it quickly and didn't get to see any replays of it, and after coming on this board i've read even Habs fans saying it was an illegal hit.

So...was it dirty or not?

I've never thought of or seen anything which can make me believe Komisarek is a dirty player, so my first impression is that McGrattan is acting like he did on the ice after being hit...like a big baby.

But I could be wrong.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
TroyM

I think the hit was very borderline. I have seen nothing to convince me that Komisarek is a dirty player, BUT that said, with my remembrance of the hit it could very well be deemed illegal. I do not think Komisarek had any intentions of causing an injury or deliberately checking from behind, but it was a very close call. The referee was looking right at the hit though, and he made no indication at all to make a call so, I suppose they know better than I do (sometimes!)

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Shabutie

I was at the game and I didn't see anything that looked bad at all. Maybe if I could see a replay or something (for some reason they hardly ever play replays at SBP, only when the sens score or make a nice save...never to show penalties or anything else). But ya...McGratton looked like a fumbling idiot when the referee was wrestling him.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHtz64QthI - It looks like there could've been a penalty, but McGratton turned his back on Komisarek at the last few seconds, so I don't see how Komisarek itentionally made a dirty hit.

Last edited by Shabutie: 11-15-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Aarex

I think it was a hit from behind so yeah i think it was dirty...I'm sure McGratton knew Komisarek was coming however but that still doesn't make it right. It could have also been called boarding.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
As much as I like Komi, I'd say he deserved a penalty. I don't think he did it to hurt the guy, he just wanted to lay a big hit to get his team going. Unfortunately, McGrattan turned his back(from what I remember). I think Komi could have had time to stop himself at the last second but he went through with it. Oh well, its over and I did think it gave the team a little boost. After seeing the other teams do it to us for so long, I guess its kinda nice to be on the giving end this time

Montreal4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I was surprised that McGrattan didn't get suspended for the way he went on with the linesman. But that said, I'm also surprised the linesman stepped in so aggressively.

By the standards of modern NHL bogus officiating, it probably warranted a penalty to Komisarek. But I'm on record as thinking that most instances of hitting from behind are basically just a different form of diving on the part of the victim. Hard to tell if McGrattan was "diving" or not on that one. Either way, it would be a legal hit in my universe.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Quiet Robert

There is no question in my mind it was dirty and easily deserved 5 mins, any Habs fan who claims otherwise is a blind homer. In fact, if there roles were reversed and Komo was on the end of the hit, we'd be still be crying and moaning about the hit.

Bottom line: Komo is one of my favourite players and is turning into a very fearsome dman, but there shouldn't be any doubt that the hit on Gratts was dirty.

This nonsense about Gratts turning into the boards is just that: nonsense. Komo had him lined up the whole time and delivered a vicious hit to an opponent with his back turned to him. Result: Dirty hit.

I disagree with Gratts saying Komo throws dirty hits all the time, this is the first real instance I can think of where Komo did something dirty like this. He punishes people along the boards and is getting a reputation as a bruiser, but this time he hit his opponent from behind.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:05 PM
22SteveBegin22

I think it was the kind of hit where I'm not surprised if it's called a penalty, and I'm not surprised if it isn't. You could make an argument that McGratton turned his back to Komo to brace himself and that's the only reason it was a hit from behind, but on a couple of the replays it did look kind of like boarding... that's what I mean it could have gone either way.

But the play itself aside, it's pretty damn funny that Brian McGratton and Chris Neil sat down to have a chat about dirty play and how there's a double standard.

How about this for a double standard... most players have to be good at hockey to stay in the NHL. Yet there they are, Brian McGratton and Chris Neil, staying in the NHL.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:06 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know what people saw to make them think it was legal. McGrattan's back was to Komi when he made the hit, and he didn't turn into the boards just beforehand.

It should have been a boarding call, though I would hardly say it was intentional. Had McGrattan continued up the boards with the puck, instead of losing it in his feet like an idiot, the hit would have been fine.

11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hard to tell if McGrattan was "diving" or not on that one. .
uhhh..... did u not see the blood trickling down his nose?

Old
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
ngc_5128

Gratts had his back to the play for quite a while before Komo hit him. I was suprised there was no penalty, and I was glad the linesman stepped in. Komo is no pushover, but McGratton is one tough SOB.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Mike8

Didn't McGratton hit Johnson later in the game from behind? No call on the play.

Real double-standard there.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:10 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Didn't McGratton hit Johnson later in the game from behind? No call on the play.

I particularly enjoyed the 2 minutes Markov got for skating next to a Sens player on the ice about a minute after the McGratton - Komo affair

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

hahaha, good point. Too bad the reporter didn't ask him about that one

Old
11-15-2006, 02:12 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngc_5128 View Post
I particularly enjoyed the 2 minutes Markov got for skating next to a Sens player on the ice about a minute after the McGratton - Komo affair
lol I was just discussing that with a friend. Between that and the Bonk "hook" it would certainly appear that the refs tried to make up for that hit.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Shatmat*

To me Komisarek's hit was illegal. He should have been penalized for it

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal4Life View Post
uhhh..... did u not see the blood trickling down his nose?
sooo.... he dove on his nose? I don't see how the blood makes a difference one way or the other. When a player intentionally turns his back on the play, he deserves most of what he gets IMO. But again, I didn't say that McGrattan definitely dove on that one, it's the eternal ambiguity of the dive, we'll never know. It's certainly possible, however. Maybe he'll think twice about doing it again next time he steps on the ice.

Old
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
sooo.... he dove on his nose? I don't see how the blood makes a difference one way or the other. When a player intentionally turns his back on the play, he deserves most of what he gets IMO. But again, I didn't say that McGrattan definitely dove on that one, it's the eternal ambiguity of the dive, we'll never know. It's certainly possible, however. Maybe he'll think twice about doing it again next time he steps on the ice.
LOL you think McGrattan dove? How would he even see Komisarek with his back turned the whole time.

For all to see the hit again, someone posted this link yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHtz64QthI

That hit is pretty much the definition of boarding. I dunno what that ref was looking at, but it should have been a call.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
LOL

Old
11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
LOL you think McGrattan dove? How would he even see Komisarek with his back turned the whole time.
I dunno, maybe you guys aren't understanding my definition of a "dive", which includes intentionally setting yourself up for a hit from behind. The longer a player keeps his back turned, the more intentional it seems, the player doesn't even have to see anybody specifically coming. Anyway, I'm still only calling it 50/50 that McGrattan dove on that one. Impossible for us to say.

Old
11-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Montreal4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post

For all to see the hit again, someone posted this link yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHtz64QthI

That hit is pretty much the definition of boarding. I dunno what that ref was looking at, but it should have been a call.
Actually, after seeing it again from that second shot, that was definite boarding. Komi is lucky, that's all I gotta say

Old
11-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I was surprised that McGrattan didn't get suspended for the way he went on with the linesman. But that said, I'm also surprised the linesman stepped in so aggressively.

By the standards of modern NHL bogus officiating, it probably warranted a penalty to Komisarek. But I'm on record as thinking that most instances of hitting from behind are basically just a different form of diving on the part of the victim. Hard to tell if McGrattan was "diving" or not on that one. Either way, it would be a legal hit in my universe.
Luckily he did, cuz Komo hardly stood a chance against McGrattan. Players like McGrats piss me off, cuz they seem so hypocritical... I don't understand why 1 goon isn't enough for the sens and why they waste a spot for another one, especially since he's so useless... At least Neil can play the game.

Edit: And for the record, I've always hated boarding calls... If you are stupid enough to have your back on the play, you deserve what you get... Maybe soon we'll see penalties for open ice hits cuz players had their heads down?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
RC51

Mcgratton calling Komi a dirty player, wow thats rich

First it's Perez, then it's Latendresse and now it's Komi.
Who's next? Pleks the "Mad Max"

The Habs have had to suck-it-up so many times.
For years the Habs had a very small team and the first thing the other teams would try is to run at them.

The Habs have gained more size and speed and the other team don't like it, go figure

HUMM, hitting is fair, getting hit is not fair.

also Just think back at Kovalev yelling at the ref for the NoN call on his knee then gets 2 min+10+game, now think of McGratton going nuts after the hit. Where is his 2 min+10+game?????????
Which disrespect to the ref was worse?

McGratton only went nuts after he looked at the ref and there was NO CALL. It leads me believe that McGratton set himself up to take one for the team with Komi out for 5mins, when that did not happen he went nuts.
Many players now use the boards like that, keep your back turned, look at the reflection in the glass, be prepaired to drop like you were shot and it's a Power Play for your side.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:53 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post

But the play itself aside, it's pretty damn funny that Brian McGratton and Chris Neil sat down to have a chat about dirty play and how there's a double standard.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 02:57 PM
bjac

There is no way he took a dive on that one. It was a dirty hit and should have been penalized.
On the other hand, for McGratton to say that Komo makes cheap hits all the time is wrong. Komo is generally a very clean hitter. Also, it's not like McGratton is the cleanest player either. He shouldn't be whining, cause if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote