HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian McGratton on Mike Komisarek hit

Old
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Ross MacLochness

vCash: 500
McGratton and Neil are block-headed dummies.

That's all I want to say on this topic.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:04 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
But the play itself aside, it's pretty damn funny that Brian McGratton and Chris Neil sat down to have a chat about dirty play and how there's a double standard.
'funny'?... yes. 'Absurd' is another good word.

Komi probably should have gotten a penalty, although he certainly didn't hit him as hard as he could have. McGratton should have gotten a supension for abuse of ref so maybe he should just keep his mouth closed.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm not on the same wavelength as fans who scream bloody murder when one of their players absorbs a dirty hit and then turn around and make excuses or blame the officials or the victim when an opponent is clobbered illegally. I don't consider Komisarek to be a dirty player, but there's no question he checked McGrattan into the boards from behind and deserved to be penalized. Those who find nothing wrong with what he did were either not wearing their glasses or contacts or had a few brews too many. Bringing McGrattan's reputation into the argument doesn't change a thing: you don't get free cheap shots at ANY player.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
BadHabit

After watching the hit many times on youtube (thanks for the link), this is what I believe happened.

McGratton definately seen Komisarek when he was picking up the puck around the net. McGratton decided to play the puck backwards instead of forwards because he knew he was going to get hit, but in doing so he had to position his body in such a way to actually play the puck behind him. This put his back to Komi.

Komi saw McGratton pick up the puck and decided to hit him because he thought he was going to play the puck forward, which would have placed his body sideways to the boards since he is right handed. Unfortunately you can see at the last second McGratton decides to play the puck backwards and instead of turning sideways to the boards, turns his body towards the boards because he is right handed and this is the easiest position to actually accomplish that.

I don't believe Komi is a dirty player and that he meant to do that. Things happen so fast in the NHL it is hard to make last second decisions and sometimes you make the wrong one - that's how a lot of goals are scored. I honestly think that this was a play that could have happened on any night with any players involved.

With that being said however, there probably should have been a penalty involved since he was checked from behind and he didn't intentionally turn his body towards the boards to avoid getting checked. It's kind of like the high sticking calls where even though you didn't intend to do it, you should be in control of your stick at all times.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Pascal

It was a penalty for boarding, for sure.

And that linesman did awesome. I was impressed.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
It was a hit from behind but McGrattan was a safe distance from the boards so it wasn't one of the 'heinous' ones. Still should have been a penalty.

That being said, the toughest warriors usually play the game on a thin line. Ask Chris Chelios. That doesn't mean I want Komisarek chasing people around the rink with a knife, but I can live with him sometimes stepping over that line as long as he (most importantly) doesn't seriously injure his opponent and doesn't hurt his team.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:42 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Boo hoo McGrattan, cry me a freakin' river. Buck up, wussy!

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:43 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatmat View Post
To me Komisarek's hit was illegal. He should have been penalized for it

Yup, at least a 10mins and misconduct

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:51 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

And as a sidenote, the NHL and its players need to get their heads straightened on the issue of boarding. When I was a kid I learned never to put my head down low to the boards, but you see it all to the time in the NHL nowadays with players tryin' to "protect the puck". In some cases, they're just doing it to draw a penalty, in other cases, they don't wanna fight out a battle with the other player, so they just stick they're butts out, and put their head low and all of the sudden they're invincible, because if you touch em, it's a boarding call. I know everyone does it, but it's a major cop out... That's why I usually have less sympathy towards the victims, it's a style of play that invites injuries.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:51 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
It was a hit from behind but McGrattan was a safe distance from the boards so it wasn't one of the 'heinous' ones. Still should have been a penalty.
In my experience as a viewer and player, I've come to see that the ones where they're a little distance away from the boards are the ones where you're more likely to be injured. When you get hit from behind, you lean forward, increasing the chance of your head hitting the glass (see: McGrattan's nose) and it also increases the likelihood of a neck injury, something like whiplash.
Had Komi been going full-speed, it certainly would have been some kind of injury for McGrattan, and a penalty for Komi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
Yup, at least a 10mins and misconduct
I think it was a 2-minute penalty. I don't think it was really worthy of a misconduct. It was pretty obvious the refs thought they missed the call, because none of them would go over to talk to Bryan Murray afterward.

That being said, refs shouldn't be taking it upon themselves to even out missed calls with iffy calls. If they miss a call, they should be putting it behind them, not looking for penalties to make up for it.

11-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

McGrattan is a big fat sweaty mongoloid with no skills whatsoever.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
In my experience as a viewer and player, I've come to see that the ones where they're a little distance away from the boards are the ones where you're more likely to be injured. When you get hit from behind, you lean forward, increasing the chance of your head hitting the glass (see: McGrattan's nose) and it also increases the likelihood of a neck injury, something like whiplash.
Had Komi been going full-speed, it certainly would have been some kind of injury for McGrattan, and a penalty for Komi.
I agree, but McGrattan seemed to be about a foot from the boards so there was little chance his head and neck could line up for a scary and dangerous neck injury. Had he been 2 or 3 feet out and Komisarek hit him with the same force he may have been taken out on a stretcher. Fortunately, his face and upper body took the brunt of it.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:04 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Very dirty play in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the habs, but i gotta look past the bias i have towards them here. The hit was dangerous, and dirty. a half second later, it could've broken his neck maybe. komisarek is great but hits like that dont belong in hockey.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Bileur

For sure a hit from behind but he's not a "dirty player". McGrattan had his back turned the whole time and Komi lined him up, dirty play, deserved a penalty (not sure if its a 2 or 5 tho) physical guys like Komi, A-train, Neil, Begin etc.. are just going to end up in those situations tho, it doesent necessarily mean they are dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
McGrattan is a big fat sweaty mongoloid with no skills whatsoever.
Actually McGrattan is one of the sens who is the most "ripped" players according to McGuire. He came back to camp lighter than last year. Komisarek on the other hand, much like Volchenkov is known for weight issues.

I dont get all the McGrattan ripping he's a fighter but what has he done in the NHL to get people calling him dirty? He gets like 2 shifts a game this season hardly enough to really make his presence felt and last season he wasnt fast enough to catch anyone, let alone hit them. BTW Neil is an excellent 4th liner/good 3rd liner I dont see why you're bashing him either.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Mange de la Moutarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
And as a sidenote, the NHL and its players need to get their heads straightened on the issue of boarding. When I was a kid I learned never to put my head down low to the boards, but you see it all to the time in the NHL nowadays with players tryin' to "protect the puck". In some cases, they're just doing it to draw a penalty, in other cases, they don't wanna fight out a battle with the other player, so they just stick they're butts out, and put their head low and all of the sudden they're invincible, because if you touch em, it's a boarding call. I know everyone does it, but it's a major cop out... That's why I usually have less sympathy towards the victims, it's a style of play that invites injuries.
I'm quoting you for the truth.

Mange de la Moutarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post

I think it was a 2-minute penalty. I don't think it was really worthy of a misconduct. It was pretty obvious the refs thought they missed the call, because none of them would go over to talk to Bryan Murray afterward.

That being said, refs shouldn't be taking it upon themselves to even out missed calls with iffy calls. If they miss a call, they should be putting it behind them, not looking for penalties to make up for it.
How can it be a 2 minute penalty when McGrattan was obviously bleeding?

Old
11-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Habber

Should have been a 2 minute penalty for boarding.

McGratton should shut his yap. No way was that a 5min penalty, no way does Komi cheap shot guys. He got his face rubbed into the glass a little bit, big deal. Stop whining like a Leaf.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Should have been a 2 minute penalty for boarding.

McGratton should shut his yap. No way was that a 5min penalty, no way does Komi cheap shot guys. He got his face rubbed into the glass a little bit, big deal. Stop whining like a Leaf.
I don't know what you're talking about and neither do you. Rubbing a little bit doesn't produce a bloody gash that even you could see. That has nothing to do with whether or not Komi goes out of his way to cheap shot opponents.

Old
11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
How can it be a 2 minute penalty when McGrattan was obviously bleeding?
Because it was boarding, and not high sticking? blood does not equal a major penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
I think the players do this not because they are chicken, but because lots of areas have very poor boards around the rink. They have no give, so it hurts a lot more, and has a greater risk of getting hurt.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
MassiveHabs

Send a message via AIM to MassiveHabs
I definatley believe a penalty should have been called, but its not worth more than 2 min imo, seeing how mcgratton did kinda turn into it, but komi still should have pulle and not hit him...

MassiveHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
I don't know what you're talking about and neither do you. Rubbing a little bit doesn't produce a bloody gash that even you could see. That has nothing to do with whether or not Komi goes out of his way to cheap shot opponents.
lol "bloody gash"

What does McGratton bleeding have to do with anything?

He put himself in a vulnerable position, got hit, and got a little cut. Big deal.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiHtz64QthI - It looks like there could've been a penalty, but McGratton turned his back on Komisarek at the last few seconds, so I don't see how Komisarek itentionally made a dirty hit.
My problem with this play is that players seem to turn their back to the players chasing them when they run out of realestate or decide to stop. The turn their back to the play and wait to either get hit from behind or till they get some space to manouver. I hate this!!!! If someone is chasing you around the boards and then you stop turn and face the boards withthe puck infront of you, prepare to get nailed. I say... and thats what happened as i saw it. The little guys get away with doing this, cause if they get hit they go flying, but in mcgratton's case he is a (goon) so he gets no call. Too bad, don't be a litle girl and turn your back at the last minute. your supposed to be a tough guy!!!!

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:02 PM
felixd

Hits from behind = dirty.

Someone said it best here, if Volchenkov hit let's say Latendresse in the exact same way we'd be calling for Volchenkov's head.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:15 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
Hits from behind = dirty.

Someone said it best here, if Volchenkov hit let's say Latendresse in the exact same way we'd be calling for Volchenkov's head.
it wasn't a true hit from behind so you know nothing....(the stupid sen turned at the last second=hence the no call!!!)

and if the same hit was on a hab i would say he was a little girl for turning towards the boards and putting head down. What did he expect? Komi was hunting him down...He knew he would get hit, thats why he did it. He tried to get a penalty. Im really tired of this play. Its making it difficult to feel sorry for people getting hit from behind.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
lol "bloody gash"

What does McGratton bleeding have to do with anything?

He put himself in a vulnerable position, got hit, and got a little cut. Big deal.
It sounds like Diogenes is confusing high-sticks which result in bloody gashes with other penalties.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote