HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When do we deal a d-man?

Old
11-15-2006, 03:50 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
When do we deal a d-man?

once Dandy and Bouillon come back... do we end up dealing a defenseman? i don't mind having them in case of injuries, but i'm just wondering if we make a move considering we have so many... and if we do, what type of return to we get? package for something else? just a pick?

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 03:56 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes. One of Bouillon or Streit. Niinimaa would be preferable, but I don't think we'll find a taker for him.

The return will be a mid-pick, like a 3rd or 4th. I can't imagine any of Rivet, Souray, Markov or Dandenault being traded without being packaged with a forward to get a significantly better defenceman, and I don't see that happening.

11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I don't think we're dealing D this year. The Habs could make a run and they will surely try it. That wouldnt make any sense to trade our UFA...

I don't like Niinimaa, but it was a calculated pick-up.. They dont want to pull a Buffalo and have an AHL caliber defensive corp in the Eastern Final. That was somehow the goal of the Traverse move too. They don't want to ice a green defenseman if bad bad things happen.

They will ride the depth.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:11 PM
hockey_nut

now i hvaen't watched every game this season yet... but i don't think niinimaa's been that bad. he's pretty solid, imo, he just hasn't produced offensively as his history has shown... but with souray and markov leading the offensive way from the blueline, i think i like what niinimaa's done up to this point

Old
11-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
now i hvaen't watched every game this season yet... but i don't think niinimaa's been that bad. he's pretty solid, imo, he just hasn't produced offensively as his history has shown... but with souray and markov leading the offensive way from the blueline, i think i like what niinimaa's done up to this point
You're right, he hasn't been that bad, he has been horrible. Him and Streit is like playing the russian roulette, you never know when the bullet will fire off.

I just can't wait for Dandeneault and Bouillon to come back.

Malakhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
You didn't watched every game so...he was alright in the beginning (when paired with Dandy), but right now, he's the worst defenceman that I ever seen...or close to it

I don't know if we will trade anyone...maybe Rivet with a young player, I don't know...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:35 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Can't we just send Niinimaa down to the AHL and free up some emergency cap space? And if we do run into another plethora of injuries, we just call him back up, I doubt he'll get claimed on re-entry waivers, but even if he does, no biggy.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
Can't we just send Niinimaa down to the AHL and free up some emergency cap space? And if we do run into another plethora of injuries, we just call him back up, I doubt he'll get claimed on re-entry waivers, but even if he does, no biggy.
IF he does get claimed, we'll have to pay for half of his salary. Niniima at 1.275 millions can be appealing for some teams in need of defensive depth.

Boutmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Brett38

We can always dress 11 forwards and 7 defencemen. Maybe drop Downey from time to time and rotate two of Streit, Niinama(sp) and ?!

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Judge Sauer*

Didn't Traverse want to go back to Dallas? Why don't we send him there for future considerations?

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Toro

seriously Niinimma has been awful. I really don't like him so far. I hope the guy is going to get better he is not cheap. On the other hand Dandy come back now!!!! Bouillon get your but in gear and get healthy we need you. Streit hasn't been too bad, he seems to have good and bad nights just needs more consistancy. But Niinimma has been awful.

P.S.

I have watched all the games. maybe missed a period here and there but watched most of all them. so take my word for it Niinimma need replacing fast.

Habs wont make a deal for D till trade deadline though(earliest). Dandy is almost back so...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:08 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38 View Post
We can always dress 11 forwards and 7 defencemen. Maybe drop Downey from time to time and rotate two of Streit, Niinama(sp) and ?!
not a bad idea... certainly wouldn't hurt... didn't streit play up front in switz?

Old
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Niinimaa's been very bad. Panics with the puck, bad hockey sense, and takes stupid penalties. I'd still rather have Niinimaa than Traverse, however.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
I don't think we're dealing D this year. The Habs could make a run and they will surely try it. That wouldnt make any sense to trade our UFA...

I don't like Niinimaa, but it was a calculated pick-up.. They dont want to pull a Buffalo and have an AHL caliber defensive corp in the Eastern Final. That was somehow the goal of the Traverse move too. They don't want to ice a green defenseman if bad bad things happen.

They will ride the depth.
That's the gist of it.

No trade unless we can swap an extra (Streit, Niinimaa) for a 2nd line center, which is very unlikely. So might as well keep the depth, it can certainly come in handy.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Habs13

I doubt we'll trade a defender - if we need a forward, we can always play Dandenault as a forward. Keep two extra defenders with the squad and play the hot hand like we do with our goalies.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 06:26 PM
znk

Quote:
I hope you're not in the buisness of building houses and stuff.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 06:34 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
once Dandy and Bouillon come back... do we end up dealing a defenseman? i don't mind having them in case of injuries, but i'm just wondering if we make a move considering we have so many... and if we do, what type of return to we get? package for something else? just a pick?
We NEED defensemen, I don't see how we could trade anyone who is half-decent. And nobody wants Niinimaa. He couldn't crack the lineup in NY or Dallas and he's only a fill-in guy for us. He's just not interested in paying the price. Reminds me of Dykhuis in a way.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:39 AM
devilman

Quote:
not a bad idea... certainly wouldn't hurt... didn't streit play up front in switz?
He never played as a forward in the Swiss League.

devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:42 AM
vcx*

Niinimaa will be hard to get rid of, don't know how Gainey was duped into taking HIM in that trade but whatever, i think we are stuck with him unless he catches fire and starts to play like he belongs in the NHL.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

lets keep 8 d-men

i love the depth we have right now.... Niinimaa is still a better option than anything on the farm

And streit is making a good case to become a full timer next year with his steady play. Mark knows that there are only 3 d-men under contract next year so he has a brilliant chance to prove that he belongs. So far, I'd say that he is getting a passing grade.

so again, lets keep 8... you never know when the injury bug will hit again

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 03:07 AM
madbox

Streit has 6 points and an even +/-, tis hard to be perfect I guess even when it IS only his second NHL season and he's gotten much better compared to last. Niinimaa's been undoubtedly horrible (does he even want to play hockey?), still don't really see any changes with our D right now, it's getting healthy again. It's a lot better than it has been the last few seasons and there's actually some depth to it.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:55 AM
dagaka

Benoit > Niinimaa . Trade Janne back to Philly for a last round draft pick and I'm happy.

dagaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:10 AM
!nkubus

Niinima on waivers and I'm happy

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:24 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
We NEED defensemen, I don't see how we could trade anyone who is half-decent. And nobody wants Niinimaa. He couldn't crack the lineup in NY or Dallas and he's only a fill-in guy for us. He's just not interested in paying the price. Reminds me of Dykhuis in a way.
I don't think it's a question of paying the price. In fact the only thing I like about him is that he's willing. He doesn't seem able,but he's willing.

I watch him and I wonder what happened to the young guy we saw in Philly and Edmonton. I remember a d man who used lateral movement to find openings, a guy who wanted the puck. All I can think of is that when he lost some mobility, mainly 1st step side to side, thru injuries, he developed bad habits. Some guys learn to do things differently when they lose some aspects of their game. Savard was the best historical example, but JN seems to use the little tug or hook to keep position, and we see what happens then. To be fair to the guy, I think he's gotten a rep for interference and gets calls others don't. The why doesn't matter though, he's playing lousy hockey and it isn't getting better.

It's too bad, after 5 games, I thought he was coming around. Maybe it's a recovery thing after surgery

I think playing his off side might help him. I also think Streit's much better on the rt. side. I don't see a deal to be made though. He's worth more as an 8th guy than he would be in a deal. If they judge Cote to as good in that slot, well maybe waivers makes sense. The way Streit's played on the pp, I don't mind dressing 7 d men either.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't think it's a question of paying the price. In fact the only thing I like about him is that he's willing. He doesn't seem able,but he's willing.

I watch him and I wonder what happened to the young guy we saw in Philly and Edmonton. I remember a d man who used lateral movement to find openings, a guy who wanted the puck. All I can think of is that when he lost some mobility, mainly 1st step side to side, thru injuries, he developed bad habits. Some guys learn to do things differently when they lose some aspects of their game. Savard was the best historical example, but JN seems to use the little tug or hook to keep position, and we see what happens then. To be fair to the guy, I think he's gotten a rep for interference and gets calls others don't. The why doesn't matter though, he's playing lousy hockey and it isn't getting better.

It's too bad, after 5 games, I thought he was coming around. Maybe it's a recovery thing after surgery

I think playing his off side might help him. I also think Streit's much better on the rt. side. I don't see a deal to be made though. He's worth more as an 8th guy than he would be in a deal. If they judge Cote to as good in that slot, well maybe waivers makes sense. The way Streit's played on the pp, I don't mind dressing 7 d men either.
McPhee - I have to echo your post. At the beginning of the season, I thought JN was playing ok and since Dandenault went out, his play sagged. I don't want to overlook that it might not be a coincidence...sometimes certain pairings just don't work out and let's face it, having JN with Streit is not good. Let's not forget that last year, Komisarek struggled until flipping with Rivet and getting paired with Markov. Komisarek's play, and then his confidence improved. Now, Komo can play with anyone and I think it is because he is confident. We don't see the tentativeness anymore in his game. I think this is the problem with JN..As you say, we don't see the same player that he was in EDM and Philly. A lot has to do with coming back from injuries and confidence. JN plays so tentatively now, and not on instinct and that is where troubles happen. He has the physical tools and I think once (or if) he gets his confidence back, I think he is a top 6 NHL d-man. Only time will tell, because the mental state is a fragile state.

Oh - as for the post topic - I would not trade anyone. Though early, this team has the makings of a sleeper team that can make some serious noise in the playoffs. You have to keep the UFA's and defensive depth is important, especially come playoff time when the injuries mount.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote