Notices

Marc Savard

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
Marc Savard

What is Marc Savard's potential ? Can he become a regular point-a-game man ? Is he a legit 1stline center ? Do you see him becoming a Brendan Morrison or Doug Weight type of player ?

Please I need your help...

Old
11-26-2003, 06:39 AM
HellsBells

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_M
What is Marc Savard's potential ? Can he become a regular point-a-game man ? Is he a legit 1stline center ? Do you see him becoming a Brendan Morrison or Doug Weight type of player ?

Please I need your help...
I'd say he has # 1 C potential but that all depends on what team he plays for. He will not be as good as Weight IMO but will be better than Morrison. Savard could easily put up Morrison's numbers playing with Bert & Nas. But then again, who couldn't ?? Morrison is overrated IMO.

He will defenitely be a #1 C in Atlanta for years to come.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:10 AM
QcS

and to add to that, it's not the first time Savard puts up decent numbers.. he used to do it in Calgary when he had the proper ice time and when he wasn't sitting in the pressbox (doghouse).

He posted very good junior numbers, and has always scored points when he's been on the ice in the NHL, so a full-NHL season should put him up there with good numbers (depending on teammates of course).

Unfortunately, it seems like he'll be missing a few more games after biting Sideshow Tucker's glove last night.

*sigh*

Old
12-03-2003, 11:39 AM
MentalPowerHouse

He will never be a ideal #1 C. Savard, and also Morrison, are more #2 type centermen. But I think the thrashers are trying to move towards having 2 #1 lines like Colorado. Kovalchuk on one, Heatley on the other, and Savard would work well as centermen for one of them. But the thrashers really need a big and skilled centermen for one of those lines. Too bad Stefan hasn't turned out to be that centermen or else the Thrashers could be set for years.

Old
12-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Tristelune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
He will never be a ideal #1 C. Savard, and also Morrison, are more #2 type centermen. But I think the thrashers are trying to move towards having 2 #1 lines like Colorado. Kovalchuk on one, Heatley on the other, and Savard would work well as centermen for one of them. But the thrashers really need a big and skilled centermen for one of those lines. Too bad Stefan hasn't turned out to be that centermen or else the Thrashers could be set for years.
It may be early but I think Slater could turn into that kind of centerman!

Old
12-04-2003, 08:53 AM
beerpaul*

Quote:
The only reason you are saying that Morrison and Savard are more likely #2 centres are because they are not big power forwards. Savard is scoring over a point per game and if that's not a #1 centre, I don't know what is. Size isn't everything.

Old
12-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

I think of a #1 center as being a guy that can carry a line like Sakic, Modano, Sundin, etc. In that sense, Savard and Morrison are not #1 centers. They're both certainly talented guys that could find a spot with any team in the league (assuming the coach and GM have their heads screwed on straight, which wasn't the case in Calgary,) but both players' productivity is more a function of their linemates' ability than their own.

Savard isn't a #1 center, but he's great for our top line.

Old
12-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Johnny Danger

savard scored 7pts in his last 3 games ...

great season so far

Old
12-09-2003, 08:14 AM
MentalPowerHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
The only reason you are saying that Morrison and Savard are more likely #2 centres are because they are not big power forwards. Savard is scoring over a point per game and if that's not a #1 centre, I don't know what is. Size isn't everything.
Wrong, Sakic and Yzerman are #1 centermen and they aren't big or powerforwards. The difference is they play defensively well.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
beerpaul*

If you think a number #1 center is only Joe Sakic or Steve Y., then you have just compared all potential #1 centers to 2 of the greatest centers in NHL history. Both are automatic Hall of Fame inductees. Look at Savard's stats. He centred one of the best lines(if not the best line) in the league in the second half of last year. With Heatley out, I'll bet a lot people thought Savard's numbers would go way down. Not so...in fact Savard has one of the hightest point per game averages in the NHL so far this year.
Quote:
Wrong, Sakic and Yzerman are #1 centermen and they aren't big or powerforwards. The difference is they play defensively well.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:02 AM
MentalPowerHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpaul
If you think a number #1 center is only Joe Sakic or Steve Y., then you have just compared all potential #1 centers to 2 of the greatest centers in NHL history. Both are automatic Hall of Fame inductees. Look at Savard's stats. He centred one of the best lines(if not the best line) in the league in the second half of last year. With Heatley out, I'll bet a lot people thought Savard's numbers would go way down. Not so...in fact Savard has one of the hightest point per game averages in the NHL so far this year.
Where did I say a true #1 center is only Joe Sakic or Stevie Wonder? Mats Sundin is a #1 center who is neither that great defenseless or a powerforward, difference there is he carries his team. Savard is not an ideal #1 centerman, he is a good player but points do not mean everything.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Where did I say a true #1 center is only Joe Sakic or Stevie Wonder? Mats Sundin is a #1 center who is neither that great defenseless or a powerforward, difference there is he carries his team. Savard is not an ideal #1 centerman, he is a good player but points do not mean everything.
Well, do things like playing on the PP, playing on the PK, leading forwards in ice time, being a big Face-off guy and playing sneaky-dirty also count? Well then count Savard in....I don't think he's in the zone of the top #1 centers in the league, and the size is a bit of a limitation, but he sure as hell is playing as a #1 now, even if I too see him as an ES #2 center..But then you have to consider his great passing ability on the Power Play

As an aside, this is a Ranger fan here but Savard has always been one of my favorites along with Tomas Kloucek...I truly hope he can stay healthy and put his game together for you guys like he did his first year in NY---what an intimidating monster he was...Put Savard and Kloucke together with guys like Heatley, Kovulchuk, Exelby, Vigier and a few others, and the Thrasher have become my second favorite team..

Old
12-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Johnny Danger

don't blame savard ... the thrashers didn't acquire him for defensive jobs ... he came here to score - and this is just was he does (and he really does it well) ...

Old
12-11-2003, 05:51 AM
bobbleted

vCash:
If you look at this goals per game played average he's probably at the top of the NHL- also one of the top "pests" in the league too. He really aggravated the Kings last night, not only scored two goals but drew a penalty.

He may be a pest but he's our pest and I'm glad to have him- he should have a 30 + goal season if he stays healthy and he creates a lot of opportunities with his pressure. He's definitely a #1 center with most teams.

Old
12-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbleted
If you look at this goals per game played average he's probably at the top of the NHL- also one of the top "pests" in the league too. He really aggravated the Kings last night, not only scored two goals but drew a penalty.

He may be a pest but he's our pest and I'm glad to have him- he should have a 30 + goal season if he stays healthy and he creates a lot of opportunities with his pressure. He's definitely a #1 center with most teams.
Taking his game as a whole, I definetely agree..And I just looked up the stats, SAVARD indeed leads the league in points per game, even beating out guys like Naslund.....If he keeps the play up, it will be a crime if he doesn't get an ALL-STAR spot

Old
12-14-2003, 07:55 AM
MentalPowerHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Well, do things like playing on the PP, playing on the PK, leading forwards in ice time, being a big Face-off guy and playing sneaky-dirty also count? Well then count Savard in....I don't think he's in the zone of the top #1 centers in the league, and the size is a bit of a limitation, but he sure as hell is playing as a #1 now, even if I too see him as an ES #2 center..But then you have to consider his great passing ability on the Power Play

As an aside, this is a Ranger fan here but Savard has always been one of my favorites along with Tomas Kloucek...I truly hope he can stay healthy and put his game together for you guys like he did his first year in NY---what an intimidating monster he was...Put Savard and Kloucke together with guys like Heatley, Kovulchuk, Exelby, Vigier and a few others, and the Thrasher have become my second favorite team..
I have always liked Savard, all I am saying he will never be an ideal #1 center, I never said he can't play there and produce and have uses. In the end it may never even matter depending on how Atlanta builds their team and develops, they can do very well with him as their #1 depending who else is on the team. There are worse players playing as #1 centermen in the league.

Old
12-14-2003, 05:25 PM
dunwoody_joe

Savard has really impressed this year. He may be small but he's fiesty, creative, quick and can play enough defense to earn ice time. He's always in the middle of things and loves to play--it really shows.

1 point/game is remarkable and he's been doing it since the day he arrived! What in the world were Button and the Flames thinking when they let him go? If that wasn't the steal of the decade...

He's our #1 for sure. And if we had Thornton, you could still make an argument that Savard should be #1.

I would take a Savard clone to center the #2 line though. Comrie anyone?

Old
12-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
1 point/game is remarkable and he's been doing it since the day he arrived! What in the world were Button and the Flames thinking when they let him go? If that wasn't the steal of the decade...
What did you guys get him for?
I think the only reason the Flames traded him was because he had a poor attitude. He was doing well there too.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
ATLThrashers15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
What did you guys get him for?
I think the only reason the Flames traded him was because he had a poor attitude. He was doing well there too.
Poor attitude may have been a part of the excuse as to why they traded him, but we traded Ruslan Zainullin for him, yea, the guy who has been traded 3 times with out even coming to North America. Funny, they traded Savard because he had a problem with the coach, then after Craig Button traded Savard, a week later he fires the coach, hmmmm! Funny!

Old
12-15-2003, 10:06 AM
looooob

Quote:
Savard has really impressed this year. He may be small but he's fiesty, creative, quick and can play enough defense to earn ice time. He's always in the middle of things and loves to play--it really shows.

He's our #1 for sure. And if we had Thornton, you could still make an argument that Savard should be #1.
I would take a Savard clone to center the #2 line though. Comrie anyone?
holy cripes. I mean I liked Marc Savard when he was here in Calgary, but Joe Thornton??

Old
12-15-2003, 03:05 PM
dunwoody_joe

Two different types of #1 centermen.

Savard is a better fit at our #1 line right now. Smaller, quicker, more creative, better skater. That's a natural fit between Kozlov and Mac.

Joe Thorton is a bigger, stronger, down-low cycling type center. Better suited to Boston's #1 line than ours. Here, those skills are wasted between two smurfs--and Joe's not the fleetest of foot.

Joe's a great player but not a good fit here!

Old
12-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Dupuis>Ilya

Joe Thornton would be a great fit anywhere.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:18 AM
beerpaul*

Interesting fact. Thornton and Savard were vying for the scoring title in Joe's last year of junior. He finally ended second. Savard won his second scoring title in the OHL during that 96-97 year...by about 8 points.
Quote:
Two different types of #1 centermen.

Savard is a better fit at our #1 line right now. Smaller, quicker, more creative, better skater. That's a natural fit between Kozlov and Mac.

Joe Thorton is a bigger, stronger, down-low cycling type center. Better suited to Boston's #1 line than ours. Here, those skills are wasted between two smurfs--and Joe's not the fleetest of foot.

Joe's a great player but not a good fit here!

Old
01-08-2004, 01:24 PM
BIG FAN

Does anyone know if Savard's concussion is serious? Or, will he be out for only the week that the NHL dictates?

Old
01-09-2004, 09:50 AM
thrashers77

vCash:
Savard is definetly a very good centerman, if he should be replaced it would have to be by a REALLY good center. He has a really smooth stickhandling and is a pretty good playmaker. He see's the play better than most and really is a great #1 center for us. He is as said before said a great man to have beetween Vyach and Mac and i hope he will be staying as long as possible..... You all should

Closed Thread