HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber's Next Start? (merged)

Old
11-16-2006, 12:30 AM
senility

vCash: 500
Gerber's Next Start? (merged)

After Emery's inspired performance tonight, I doubt any of us are keen to see Gerber back in net any time soon. We have to get him back in the saddle eventually, however, so which, if any, of the following games would you start him in?

17th Ottawa at New Jersey
18th Buffalo at Ottawa
20th Minnesota at Ottawa
22nd Ottawa at Philadelphia
24th Ottawa at Florida
26th Ottawa at Tampa Bay
28th Ottawa at Carolina
30th Florida at Ottawa

My inclination is to ride Emery for a while, assuming he remains healthy enough to play. I definitely give Gerber the Carolina game, because he knows the team and the arena and he should be motivated to do well, but I think I'd be tempted to stay with Emery until then in the hopes that he can turn this team's fortunes around. He's got some technical weaknesses, but he's all heart, and the team really seems to want to play well for him.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:33 AM
SoulPatch

Play him in Philly, and then Carolina.

If he does good, we'll go from there...

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:37 AM
senility

I don't let him anywhere near that Philly game. The points are way too important at this point and they are even more desperate than we are. Besides, if he struggles, no arena in this league is harder on opposing goalies.

Old
11-16-2006, 12:56 AM
SoulPatch

You may be right, but we cant overplay Emery (he wasn't even 100% tonight). I dont see a problem with Gerber playing 2 of the next 8 games. Especially if he starts against the leagues worst team (despite their performance tonight).

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
You may be right, but we cant overplay Emery (he wasn't even 100% tonight). I dont see a problem with Gerber playing 2 of the next 8 games. Especially if he starts against the leagues worst team (despite their performance tonight).
I agree. We can't completely shelve Gerber. He's going to have to get some more starts, and, Philly is the easiest team to get him against. We need to avoid overusing Emery. We better have learned our lesson from last year. Plus, I think getting out of the nets for a little bit, and having a chance to review the game tapes, will help Gerber's game. The pressure will be off. If he's still struggling, then, we'll know we have a problem.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:35 AM
Shnak

Hopefully, never. I'd like to start winning some games before even thinking about putting swiss cheese back in the net.

Shnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Erick G

Trade Gerber
It solves the problem if playing him.

Erick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:15 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I guess it will depend on how well Emery plays this weekend, if the team continues to win with Emery in nets, but based on how they have performed so far this year that is not a given.

I would think Philly as well, we have had their number in past yrs. and they are struggling. My hope is that Gerber has some pressure taken off of him with and if Emery continues to play well which he should then take as a positive and give himself some time to relax and start playing with a little more confidence, one game at a time.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:19 AM
CheeseSandwich*

We need to get off a few wins before Gerber is back.

So if we win 2 of the next 3, put him in I think.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
gfel2795

Maybe keep him started at home v. Minnesota on the 20th and go from there. It won't be long bc Ottawa plays a ton of games between now and the end of the month. Maybe a game on that Florida road trip and then that Florida game on the 30th.

I'd be happy with that...

gfel2795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Sens are like Whoa

Just roll with Emery until he loses, then switch it up.

He won the job fair and square... it's no longer about satisfying both parties equally.

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:18 AM
jamiebez

I was looking at the schedule and wondering this myself.... I was wondering if Murray will put him in one of the back-to-back games this weekend (NJD and Buffalo) but I really can't see it. Emery was in net for the 8-1 Jersey game and I wouldn't let Gerber near Buffalo right now.

The logical ones to me are one of either the Philly or Florida games next week and definitely Carolina on the 28th.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Human Megaphone

Personally I'd keep Gerber away from any of our home games until he improves. If he is having trouble with his confidence then us booing him won't help.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:49 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens are like Whoa View Post
Just roll with Emery until he loses, then switch it up.

He won the job fair and square... it's no longer about satisfying both parties equally.
Yes, and Emery WILL have a stinker or the Sens will lose a game and that will give Gerber another opportunity.

Nothing to really worry about.

If Murray puts Gerber right back in again after last night's game, I'll be puzzled though.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 09:30 AM
A-Train in Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by senility View Post
After Emery's inspired performance tonight, I doubt any of us are keen to see Gerber back in net any time soon. We have to get him back in the saddle eventually, however, so which, if any, of the following games would you start him in?

17th Ottawa at New Jersey
18th Buffalo at Ottawa
20th Minnesota at Ottawa
22nd Ottawa at Philadelphia
24th Ottawa at Florida
26th Ottawa at Tampa Bay
28th Ottawa at Carolina
30th Florida at Ottawa

My inclination is to ride Emery for a while, assuming he remains healthy enough to play. I definitely give Gerber the Carolina game, because he knows the team and the arena and he should be motivated to do well, but I think I'd be tempted to stay with Emery until then in the hopes that he can turn this team's fortunes around. He's got some technical weaknesses, but he's all heart, and the team really seems to want to play well for him.
From what I have seen from him this season it is my hope he never starts again!!!

A-Train in Motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 09:48 AM
gfel2795

These goalies go from hot to cold quickly and vice versa so maybe Gerber will get it back.

Hopefully he'll be okay. Let's hope so bc that's a bunch of money to pay to a guy to ride the pine all season. Trading him seems like an impossibility unless the Sens dish out some cash to pay for that contract of his.

gfel2795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:14 PM
senility

The Buffalo or Minnesota games would be ideal in terms of timing, but I definitely agree that they shouldn't start Gerber at home for a while. The natives are restless and he's the logical target for criticism. I don't want to burn Emery out either, but I don't think six games in ten nights is too bad. The back to back will be tough, but then it's just a game every two nights. Hopefully with light practices he'll be OK. I wouldn't recommend playing him that much over the long haul, but I think this stretch is kind of an exception. We have a pretty tough schedule, and we really need to get back on track. If we can miraculously go 6-2 for the rest of the month or even 5-3 and come out of this month at or close to .500, I'd go back to a more regular rotation, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Old
11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
hockeycountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I agree. We can't completely shelve Gerber. He's going to have to get some more starts, and, Philly is the easiest team to get him against. We need to avoid overusing Emery. We better have learned our lesson from last year. Plus, I think getting out of the nets for a little bit, and having a chance to review the game tapes, will help Gerber's game. The pressure will be off. If he's still struggling, then, we'll know we have a problem.
Agree on all counts. You can't run Emery into the ground out of fear that Gerber will suck. And I really do hope that Gerber's game will come around again with a little time; to me he looks like he just needs to calm down. If it doesn't come around -- yikes, but they deal with that if/when it happens.

hockeycountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

I play him in Philly and against Florida on the 30th assuming Emery keeps up his strong play. Then I take it from there.

Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:08 PM
RTWAP*

A friend of mine - who lurks on the board but doesn't post - had a interesting insight on Gerber.

He's the type of goalie who likes to practice and hone his technique. He's been in need of some time off so he can re-assemble his game and get back to good fundamentals. It's a little hard to do that with the amount of pressure he's been under lately.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerber doesn't play much for the next 3-4 weeks (maybe a couple starts) and then we get back to a roughly 50/50 split with two very good goalies.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 05:28 PM
burgess1978

Why not use the Roloson-Fernandez policy?

Change goalies when you don't get a point.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:33 PM
SPARTAKUS*

I think that Murray needs to be very careful when to put Gerber in. Gerber is a good goaltender but right now he has zero confident. If I were Murray I would put him against Philly on the 22nd and against Florida on the 30th.

It would be very nice to see every Sens fan get behind Gerber and support him in this very difficult time for him. Gerber is part of the Sens familly and every player needs to feel that their fans are there for them when the going gets tough. It's allright to show our displeasure when they are not performing but it has to be done ina respectful manner. Calling Gerber all kinds of names doesn't do any good on the contrary it only put oil on the fire.

Let's show the entire NHL that Ottawa Senators fans support their players not only when they win but thru the hard times as well.

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:52 PM
freakin

I remember when Carolina had their slow start they were *****ing at the management for letting go of Gerber. Oh how things change!

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:56 AM
arbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAKUS View Post
Let's show the entire NHL that Ottawa Senators fans support their players not only when they win but thru the hard times as well.
The thought of any Sens fan booing any part of their team is heartbreaking, with maybe the exception of Yashin. Although I don't think there would be a sea of boos if Gerber starts at our next home game, the fact that there might be an audible number doesn't help at all.

I expect and predict a solid performance on the next Gerber start.. which I think will be on one of the back-to-back games.

arbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:01 AM
jonas234567

Gerber will come back, he always came back in the past and showed great performances. He just needs some time now. The first match of the season showed how good he can be.

jonas234567 is offline   Reply With Quote