HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

USA Hockey Tier 1, 2, 3 Junior

Old
11-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
USA Hockey Tier 1, 2, 3 Junior

Yes I know USHL is Tier 1 and NAHL is Tier 2. But I notice quite a few players especially in Hockey East NCAA Div 1 conference come from New England Tier 3 Jr leagues. Is there a definative or maybe a better way to define the levels of play in tier 1,2,3.
EDIT:
Sorry dumb Canuck trying to get my head around USA Hockey levels
Maybe I have to clear my head of Canadian Major Jr, Jr A, B, C, levels first?

Last edited by Alpine: 11-16-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
mfosterftw

The reason some D1 players come out of Tier 3 leagues is that the tiers are based on economic criteria, and do not address the geographic distribution of talent in the USA. Tier 1/2 Jr. A hockey cannot survive in the northeast, so the local talent plays in the EJHL and AJHL.

Marc

mfosterftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfosterftw View Post
The reason some D1 players come out of Tier 3 leagues is that the tiers are based on economic criteria, and do not address the geographic distribution of talent in the USA. Tier 1/2 Jr. A hockey cannot survive in the northeast, so the local talent plays in the EJHL and AJHL.

Marc
Thank-you:
But how does USA Hockey as the governing body decide how to classify the leagues?
Or do the leagues themselves decide what classification to apply for? I guess what I'm asking is; what are the advantages of being classified as tier 2 rather than 3 or what are the limitations of being tier 3?
I'd aplologize for my ignorance, but if you don't ask............
EDIT:
Would there be an advantage for the venerable EJHL to become a tier 2 league for example? If they did what new standards would the EJHL have to meet for USA Hockey to re-classify the league?

Last edited by Alpine: 11-17-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old
12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
StrBender

In the USHL the teams make big$$. The players do not pay to play. In the EJHL the teams make next to no $. Mostly family & girlfriends in the stands. The players pay around 5K + per season to play.

StrBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrBender View Post
In the USHL the teams make big$$. The players do not pay to play. In the EJHL the teams make next to no $. Mostly family & girlfriends in the stands. The players pay around 5K + per season to play.
So just for the sake of arguement, what you're saying is EJHL and AJHL isn't based on player's talent but in their ability to pay?
I find this hard to fathom?

Old
12-14-2006, 12:44 PM
orangeandblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
So just for the sake of arguement, what you're saying is EJHL and AJHL isn't based on player's talent but in their ability to pay?
I find this hard to fathom?

well its true, more players go d-1 from the ejhl then the nahl, but the nahl is tier 2 jr a, and the ejhl is tier 3. players pay to play in the ejhl, and it is a pretty high quality league on par with almost all canadian tier 2 jr a leagues. you cant draw a crowd for junior hockey on the east coast bc there is so much more going on. jr hockey is the biggest thing going in small towns in the midwest thats the reason for the tier classification.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote