HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey vs Cory

Old
11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Corey vs Cory

Both Locke and Urquhart were taken in the 2003 draft but they have taken completely different paths in their pursuit of the NHL dream.

Urquhart is a big strong center who, to this point, hasn't used his size to his advantage. He has a great shot but tends to play on the perimeter. His unwillingness to play harder has relegated him to the ECHL where his production has improved each year. This year he has been dominating, scoring a goal a game and once registering ten shots on goal in a single game. I know its only the ECHL but his improvement has been consistent.

Locke is a small, shifty center who jumped right into the AHL. His lack of strength, lack of breakaway speed and sometimes lackadaisical play are his weaknessness. As a rookie he scored 43 points and there were hopes he would blossom into bonafied offensive threat. There was a slight improvement in his second season but he seems to have reached a plateau. With Lapierre, Aubin and Chipchura in Hamilton and Ben Maxwell in Kootenay, Locke may become a redundant asset if he can't show marked improvement.

At this point, Urquhart looks like he is moving up (albeit slowly) while Locke seems to have hit a bit of wall.

Who do you think has a better future?

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
znk

me.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 10:24 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Urquhart has a better shot at the NHL of the two, but I wouldn't expect to ever see either of them in a Habs uniform.

Locke has deficiencies in too many areas, and Urquhart is much the same way from what I understand. However, Urquhart will work the boards which is a valuable skill. Neither have NHL talent.

11-16-2006, 10:55 AM
GSK*

I just screw Urquhart....

In 3 years after his draft he have

0 NHL Games
3 AHL Games
139 ECHL Games

He's a bust, a fawking poor hockey players...

We draft him 40 overall, before guys like, Josh Hennessey, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, Dan Fritsche... All these guys was drafted after Urquhart and in the second round like him...

That was a BAD choice.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK View Post

0 NHL Games
3 AHL Games
139 ECHL Games

We draft him 40 overall, before guys like, Josh Hennessey, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, Dan Fritsche... All these guys was drafted after Urquhart and in the second round like him...

That was a BAD choice.
Yeah that wasnt great at all but back there we needed a big center and they took the best one(In their opinion)

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
Who do you think has a better future?
I'm with those that thinks neither of them has a future (at least, not an NHL one, and definitely not one with us).

I've felt that way about Urquhart from Day 1, and I don't think his emergence as a point-per-game player in the East Coast League is very likely to change my opinion on him. He will be let go after this year.

With Locke, I'm more disappointed and sadly revising my draft-day hopes, because as a 67's fan in those days, I actually felt like he had more of the determination needed to overcome his deficiencies and create a name for himself. Instead, he seems to have lost all of that and is just trying to get by on skill alone, which won't cut it. But at least he should eventually be a point-per-game AHL player, which is a step up from Urquhart, and might even get him the occasional Darren Haydar-like cup of NHL coffee if he manages to catch on with the right organisation at the right time and doesn't ultimately just jet for Switzerland instead.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:24 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm with those that thinks neither of them has a future (at least, not an NHL one, and definitely not one with us).

I've felt that way about Urquhart from Day 1, and I don't think his emergence as a point-per-game player in the East Coast League is very likely to change my opinion on him. He will be let go after this year.

With Locke, I'm more disappointed and sadly revising my draft-day hopes, because as a 67's fan in those days, I actually felt like he had more of the determination needed to overcome his deficiencies and create a name for himself. Instead, he seems to have lost all of that and is just trying to get by on skill alone, which won't cut it. But at least he should eventually be a point-per-game AHL player, which is a step up from Urquhart, and might even get him the occasional Darren Haydar-like cup of NHL coffee if he manages to catch on with the right organisation at the right time and doesn't ultimately just jet for Switzerland instead.

I seem to get more and more disappointed in Locke each year. He's not impressing me at all this year, but he does always find a way to get points. I don't see him ever getting a shot with us outside of injuries hitting us hard. Maybe he could catch on with another team but for now he'll continue to be one of the top scorers in Hamilton.

Urquhart, perhaps if he continues this pace he will earn himself a contract next year to play in Hamilton, although I haven't seen him play this year, so I can't say how he's doing other then the stats. But if he's using his size a little better, perhaps it would be worth it to bring him back since he does have good offensive skills, although there might not be a lot of roster spaces next year in Hamilton.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:24 AM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:

0 NHL Games
3 AHL Games
139 ECHL Games

That was a BAD choice.

I think we had 2 2nd rounder that, with the other we picked Lambert or Lapierre I always get those confused, talk about 2 swing and miss .

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:32 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I believe neither have a bright NHL future and would be suprised to ever see any of them in a Canadiens uniform for a regular season game. Do not be suprised if Locke ends up with the Leafs orginazation sooner or later.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
I just screw Urquhart...
Quoted for too much info.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:01 PM
KaptainKourage*

They are no Duncan Milroy

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaineyIsGod View Post
I think we had 2 2nd rounder that, with the other we picked Lambert or Lapierre I always get those confused, talk about 2 swing and miss .
Lapierre, and he is God.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Yeah that wasnt great at all but back there we needed a big center and they took the best one(In their opinion)
Just like Chouinard.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 05:51 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Lapierre, and he is God.
Lapierre is an amazing prospect. The type of player you love to have on the team and the type of player every other team hates for you to have on your team.

The problem still lies that.. we have many projected 2-3-4 centers, but none that can be capable enough of being a 1st line center. Hopefully we finally get that addressed in this years draft.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I seem to get more and more disappointed in Locke each year. He's not impressing me at all this year, but he does always find a way to get points. I don't see him ever getting a shot with us outside of injuries hitting us hard. Maybe he could catch on with another team but for now he'll continue to be one of the top scorers in Hamilton.
I was actually surprised they picked Locke. I didn't think his deficiencies could be overcome by the assets he brought. To me he's always been one of those players that is strong at the level he plays but doesn't have that next gear to compete at the level just above.

It's too bad because he put up some great numbers with the 67's

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Mad Habber

In my books, neither Locke or Urquart will ever touch NHL ice. Unless, there are major injury problems. Urquart is out after his contract is up. No way do they keep him around to take up a spot from someone who actually may have a future. Gleed got an AHL contract rather than NHL. Sure diferent position, and part of the reason may have been to ensure they stayed under the 50 total NHL contracts per teams. But I don't see Gleed ever making it. I could be wrong about him, I was with Ryder when he was sent to the ECHL. But I'm pretty sure I'm right about Urquart.

As for Locke, if you don't have size, you should have speed. Failing that, you should at the very least have dogged determination. Sorry, three strikes. Skill alone will not get you there. If it did, Patrick and Stephane Lebeau would still be in the NHL.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote