HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I love D-Vo!

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 09:52 AM
PineJockey

vCash: 500
I love D-Vo!

I know we have covered it before, but I need to say it again.

Boy I'm glad we traded Carter for D-vo. Especially with the way Carter has been playing in NY. What was the quote by Sather on Carter, "Very little effort, very little skating, no shots". That about sums it up. While he was in Edmonton he had a great one-timer from the left circle, but didn't do a whole lot else to create chances for himself.

It's nice to see D-vo getting some national coverage too.
http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates...rs-wings031126

Old
11-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I know we have covered it before, but I need to say it again.

Boy I'm glad we traded Carter for D-vo. Especially with the way Carter has been playing in NY. What was the quote by Sather on Carter, "Very little effort, very little skating, no shots". That about sums it up. While he was in Edmonton he had a great one-timer from the left circle, but didn't do a whole lot else to create chances for himself.

It's nice to see D-vo getting some national coverage too.
http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates...rs-wings031126
I liked that trade from the beginning. I was a little concerned about D-vo's knees but apart from that, skill wise, I thought it was a great trade and I was a fan of carter.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:55 AM
theoil

The games I have seen this year Dvorak has been our on ice leader for at least the last 10 of them. Wouldn't give him back for Carter if there was a 1st round draft choice added on. And he blocks shots from the point! You'd watch a lot of old Oiler footage trying to find Carter doing that.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Rafters

We can't forget that Cross was included in that salary dump deadline deal, I love the way Dvo plays, but the Poti-York deal is still a little my favorite K-Lowe deal. York is our best player with D-vo a very close 2nd in my opinion.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
barto

Not knowing much about Dvorak before the trade, I was initially appalled at trading our top scorer for a guy with a bad knee and 6 goals. It made more sense if there was some cash coming back the other way, I thought... I felt a little better seeing some interviews with him where he seemed *genuinely* happy to be here, seemed like an up-beat guy, and started to try to believe all the good things Lowe was saying about him.

I was never a huuge Carter fan, but definitely liked his goal production when he wasn't disappearing.

Now, I look back on the deal and understand why there likely wasn't any cash coming back, and there's no way I would reverse the deal. And how many fans were won over by his amazing goal against Dallas in the playoffs?? Damn that injured hand!!

Even when he's not scoring goals, he does many things to help the team, and they're noticeable. Even more impressive than his current scoring streak is being able to overcome some pretty major distractions with his very premature baby back home!

Thanks for the article link, by the way - I also found out Jagr & some other Caps are on the trading block!

One quote I liked from the Dvorak article was this one:

Quote:
A victory on Wednesday would move the Oilers to within one point of second-place Colorado (12-7-1-1) in the Northwest Division.
Anyone think the Oilers would be so close to the Avs at this point in the season?? Or one point back of Detroit? And yes, that definitely shows those two teams have struggled somewhat so far, but the Oilers have kept pace even without Comrie (or a replacement), so that's pretty cool.

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Walsher

Whats not to love? He skates like the wind, has a rocket shot that he hasn't even really used yet, plays hard every game, makes himself vsible even during the worst efforts by the rest of the team, and he apparently loves it in Edmonton.

Old
11-26-2003, 11:18 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3991731
We can't forget that Cross was included in that salary dump deadline deal, I love the way Dvo plays, but the Poti-York deal is still a little my favorite K-Lowe deal. York is our best player with D-vo a very close 2nd in my opinion.
Good point about York and Cross. I guess by now most of us would say that Cross is an upgrade over Pisa (although Pisa maybe had more upside? but he's back in Europe now, right?), and Dvo's an upgrade over Carter in many ways.

And with Poti, well, the fans weren't going to let him stay here anyway, so getting York turned out to be a nice coup for Lowe. And we all probably remember how much York struggled after getting traded here at the deadline, but had a really solid season last year. Good stuff!!

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 11:26 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Good point about York and Cross. I guess by now most of us would say that Cross is an upgrade over Pisa (although Pisa maybe had more upside? but he's back in Europe now, right?), and Dvo's an upgrade over Carter in many ways.

And with Poti, well, the fans weren't going to let him stay here anyway, so getting York turned out to be a nice coup for Lowe. And we all probably remember how much York struggled after getting traded here at the deadline, but had a really solid season last year. Good stuff!!

Bart
Is there anybody that would want to trade Dvorak, York and Cross for Poti, Carter and Pisa today?

Old
11-26-2003, 11:29 AM
Silver

I forget who said it on this board, but it was recently and dead on in my opinion:

"Carter says the right things, Dvo does the right things."

Whoever that was, stand up and take a bow

Old
11-26-2003, 12:24 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Is there anybody that would want to trade Dvorak, York and Cross for Poti, Carter and Pisa today?
not in a MILLION years.... in fact i wouldnt trade dvo and yorkie ALONE for those three, let alone throwing cross in there (who has turned out to be a fairly reliable 5-6 dman)

Old
11-26-2003, 12:31 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
not in a MILLION years.... in fact i wouldnt trade dvo and yorkie ALONE for those three, let alone throwing cross in there (who has turned out to be a fairly reliable 5-6 dman)
No kidding. I always thought Carter was a little overrated when he was here. His numbers were good but he dissapeared in important games. He always got 2 goals in either a 6-3 win or 6-3 loss. Never clutch goals. As for Poti - I must say I was one of the lone supporters. York however has easily been the Oilers best player in the last year and a half and that trade IMO has helped mould this team into a much more consistent unit. As for Cross - beauty pickup all things considered. Have to say that Sather got Sathered on these deals. We became used to him doing this to other GM's back in the old Oilers days nice to see what goes around comes around.

Closed Thread