HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop Copying me!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 04:00 PM
mrhockey123

vCash: 500
Stop Copying me!!!

I was just on Sportsnet's website and in the hockey hearsay I read about 5 different teams that want to do an outdoor game: Calgary and Toronto are amoung them.

Its pretty funny that everyone wants to do it now that its been done. But when it was in the planning stages everyone (including myself) said it would be a complete gong show and a total disaster.

The fact is, the Heritage Classic was one of a kind. I really hope nobody else tries this because it just wouldnt compare to what went on in this city.

We proved once again that we're the City Of Cnampions and there aint nothin that can take that title away from us!!

57,100 people sat in -18C with a windchill that made it more like -25 from 1pm to 8:30pm. THOSE are true hockey fans.

I just dont think any other city or any other organization could have come close!!

Old
11-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey123
I just dont think any other city or any other organization could have come close!!
Id love to see it in chiacgo in the -18C weather. There would be more peanut vendors than fans :p

Old
11-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Phanuthier*

Make that two of a kind, the idea was taken from a NCAA game that pulled in 150% that of Edmonton.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:00 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
splatman had the commenwealth been able to seat 100,000 they would have easily sold that many tickets. But yeah the NCAA did house more fans.

They played an interview with Bettman (cant remember who it was tho that interviewed him) in the 2nd intermission on CHED he sounded rather reluctant that the NHL should straightaway get involved in another outdoor game and personally if thats what he meant then kudos to Bettman for realising that nobody should do one straight after Edmonton. Maybe in two years time after the lockout might be a better idea.

Old
11-25-2003, 05:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Make that two of a kind, the idea was taken from a NCAA game that pulled in 150% that of Edmonton.
Yes and the Calgary team president already admitted last week how jealous Calgary fans were.

Though I didn't need him to tell me that. It was a joke going to Calgarypuck and to see the jealousy first hand.

Just for Calgary fans when we say first hand we mean first time in the NHL, believe it or not we know about the COLLEGE game that was done first.

Btw, what are the SHAMES doing for their anniversary.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yes and the Calgary team president already admitted last week how jealous Calgary fans were.

Though I didn't need him to tell me that. It was a joke going to Calgarypuck and to see the jealousy first hand.

Just for Calgary fans when we say first hand we mean first time in the NHL, believe it or not we know about the COLLEGE game that was done first.

Btw, what are the SHAMES doing for their anniversary.

hopefully gracefully bowing out of the league before they endure any more embarrassing seasons.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44

Jealous Calgary fans? Probably, but he never said said that - that is slander.

If you guys know about it, why do you think you're the inventors of it?

Kudo's to the 4 mill that the Oilers made, but don't think that it was "your idea."

Old
11-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Walsher

One thing everyone who criticizes the Oilers for copying Michigan-Michigan ST needs to remember is that wasn't a "professional" hockey game. This was unique and original in the NHL and for that the Oilers deserve all the credit. They took the bull by the horns and played the game - got the job done. Their have been thousands of outdoor hockey games of course it is not a earth shattering concept. That fact remains it happened first in professional hockey in Edmonton. This is why it was a much much bigger event than the Michigan-Michigan ST game even though they had more fans at the game due to a bigger facility. To me other NHL teams doing it would be tacky and wouldn't even come close to the success of the Heritage Classic. What other team can ice the greats like that of the Oilers? Gretzky will never do that again and he is the ultimate draw.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Phanuthier*

That's great Walsher, but you arn't attacking any of my comments - I'm not denying anything you said, in fact, I agree with it.

Just don't go around saying "we're the ONLY ones ever to do it" and think you were the inventors of outdoor hockey games, any city that decides to adopt the idea isn't "copying" you.

I agree its tacky and should not repeated - I personally will be very dissapointed if King gives it a kick, and I bet it doesn't sell out if its tried again. It's a one-time thing.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:51 PM
kruezer

Lets not start a Calgary-Edmonton arguement yet again. (BTW Walsher how many points ahead of Calgary is Edmonton? Not all that many chill a little)

I think the only way it would work is if it was a BOA, but we need to wait a couple years 'til all the Flames alumni retire (read: MacInnis, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Can I say Fleury? lol...)

PS- MrHockey123, you must be kidding that Toronto couldn't pull in 57k for an outdoor hockey game, that would be no sweat at all in TO.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Walsher

Quote:
That's great Walsher, but you arn't attacking any of my comments - I'm not denying anything you said, in fact, I agree with it.

Just don't go around saying "we're the ONLY ones ever to do it" and think you were the inventors of outdoor hockey games, any city that decides to adopt the idea isn't "copying" you.

I agree its tacky and should not repeated - I personally will be very dissapointed if King gives it a kick, and I bet it doesn't sell out if its tried again. It's a one-time thing.

I didn't quote you and wasn't responding to your comments directly therefor didn't mean to come across as attacking your comments. Just stating facts that some people appear to be missing.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I didn't quote you and wasn't responding to your comments directly therefor didn't mean to come across as attacking your comments. Just stating facts that some people appear to be missing.
Ok fair enough

What the Oilers did was take initiative and take an idea done by two collage teams, and try it in the NHL - in doing so, they got enough money (prob where they got the dough to sign Oates), new fans and more interest to (gag) Oilers hockey. But it was not "your" idea.

BTW Gretz didn't actually do anything. I was dissapointed.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:06 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Ok fair enough

What the Oilers did was take initiative and take an idea done by two collage teams, and try it in the NHL - in doing so, they got enough money (prob where they got the dough to sign Oates), new fans and more interest to (gag) Oilers hockey. But it was not "your" idea.

I was at the game I know he didn't do anything - but knowing what he did (or didn't do) I still would have paid anything to watch him twirl around in Oilers silks one more time. The event was amazing not because either game was overly exciting - the fact remains neither were. It was exciting because it brought back memories gone by, reunited one of the best dynasty's ever almost entirely, and because all of that was done in front of 57+k fans outdoors in classic Edmonton weather. I have always maintained I will support the Oilers through anything. Anything to make money. If gimmicky events, third jerseys, goofy promotions or anything else can generate enough revenue to keep the team competing or even afloat by all means please do.

Old
11-26-2003, 04:02 AM
Shibumi

Quote:
Ok fair enough

I would think the Oilers got the money to sign Oates from a more favourable exchange rate and not paying Comrie a salary so far this season. If the Oilers made 4 million off of this game, it is probably going back to the owners or to increase equity in the team.

Old
11-26-2003, 04:59 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Michigan and MSU proved that you could set up a rink in a football stadium and get 80,000 drunk college kids to show up for the game.

The Oilers followed in their footsteps as far as putting a hockey game in a football stadium. But they broke ground in terms of marketting the event, getting the league and professional association to sign on, and making revenue from it.

The Cold War was over 2 years ago. How many NHL teams have attempted it since? Just the Oilers. The Heritage Classic was a couple of days ago, and now 5 NHL teams are looking into doing it? And you don't think the success of the Heritage Classic is what has spurred the interest?

It's been common knowledge for at least a couple of years that you can apparently set up a hockey rink in the middle of a football stadium. But only since the Oilers started working on this have other hockey teams realized that it could be a hugely successful event from a commercial and marketting perspective.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:45 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Ok fair enough

Lets not forget that Russia started it all when they packed Lenin Stadium in about 40 years ago for a world championship game... so it wasn't Michigan's idea either.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Plus Slats wanted to do an outdoor game while he was GM during the dynasty years and was turned down by Ziegler.

11-26-2003, 06:46 AM
PineJockey

I actually like the idea of turning Hockey Day in Canada into an outdoor event.

I think that the idea of having the old-timers game before hand is finished. Games like that are only good for one go around or else they get watered down. Gretzky wouldn't play again, for example, neither would Mess, etc. The idea would not be to try to duplicate the Heritage Classic. Instead, change the focus a little bit.

Having all 6 Canadian Teams play outside, in association with all of the other games that Hockey Day in Canada has going on at different locations, different age groups etc, would be fantastic.

I remember when there was all the panic about losing the Canadian teams and how the govt was looking at giving up some money to help, someone (Roy MacGregor?) did a nice piece on what hockey means in Canada. He pointed out that hockey in Canada is NOT the NHL, and that even if there were no NHL teams left in Canada we would all still love and value the game just as much. His point, basically, was that we all need to look beyond the NHL and see the larger picture. There are only 6 Canadian cities with NHL teams, but obviously the game is played in every city, town, and villiage in the country. and those towns without NHL teams don't love hockey any less. Having the outdoor games would be a nice way to acknowledge the fact that in most places in Canada, and for most people in Canada, the game is still played at a local, grass-roots level, on outdoor rinks, in our own backyards. The same is not true of most other countries where hockey IS the NHL (e.g., most, although not all of the US cities).

I agree that you can't duplicate the magic of the Heritage Classic. Don't even try. But you sure could make some noise.

Just my two cents

Old
11-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Shizuka

To be honest I personally think it would cheapen the experience, to see it become a bit of a travelling sideshow in various NHL cities. Gretzky already said (paraphrasing here), "don't think you can duplicate the experience, I don't think I would ever play in one of these again either". You do this once, and it is a treasured, unique experience for all involved. Not saying other cities can't or shouldn't do it, but it does seem to lower the value of the HC.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:35 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi
I would think the Oilers got the money to sign Oates from a more favourable exchange rate and not paying Comrie a salary so far this season. If the Oilers made 4 million off of this game, it is probably going back to the owners or to increase equity in the team.
I heard the profit will come in more at the $2M point... but I agree with both of your statements. The money for Oates was probably already built in to the player budget and the profit from this venture will likely go back in to covering previous losses.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:41 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineJockey
I actually like the idea of turning Hockey Day in Canada into an outdoor event.

I think that the idea of having the old-timers game before hand is finished. Games like that are only good for one go around or else they get watered down. Gretzky wouldn't play again, for example, neither would Mess, etc. The idea would not be to try to duplicate the Heritage Classic. Instead, change the focus a little bit.

Having all 6 Canadian Teams play outside, in association with all of the other games that Hockey Day in Canada has going on at different locations, different age groups etc, would be fantastic.

I remember when there was all the panic about losing the Canadian teams and how the govt was looking at giving up some money to help, someone (Roy MacGregor?) did a nice piece on what hockey means in Canada. He pointed out that hockey in Canada is NOT the NHL, and that even if there were no NHL teams left in Canada we would all still love and value the game just as much. His point, basically, was that we all need to look beyond the NHL and see the larger picture. There are only 6 Canadian cities with NHL teams, but obviously the game is played in every city, town, and villiage in the country. and those towns without NHL teams don't love hockey any less. Having the outdoor games would be a nice way to acknowledge the fact that in most places in Canada, and for most people in Canada, the game is still played at a local, grass-roots level, on outdoor rinks, in our own backyards. The same is not true of most other countries where hockey IS the NHL (e.g., most, although not all of the US cities).

I agree that you can't duplicate the magic of the Heritage Classic. Don't even try. But you sure could make some noise.

Just my two cents
Damn, I was going to say something like this too!

There are many ways to go with this, including "nowhere", but I like the idea of more outdoor games, and I really like the idea of that Hockey Day doing outdoor games with the various Canadian teams, all on the same day to celebrate hockey across the country. Maybe a 1:00, 4:00, and 7:00 game, starting in Toronto or Montreal, then Ottawa hosting Vancouver, and then Calgary or Edmonton hosting the BOA game to finish it up... (can't think of a suitable place in/near Vancouver for it - or is there still Empire Stadium?)

Anyway, I like the idea of other cities doing outdoor NHL games, but I like the Hockey Day in Canada idea as having a lot of appeal.

There'll never be another "Heritage Classic" the way this one worked out, but that doesn't mean it's not worth doing again in some form in some other locations.

I'd actually like to see the Oilers do one game outdoors every year! Maybe the Battle of Alberta, or a Leafs game where you could sell a lot more tickets than what Rexall Place could hold.

The other take on the Megastars thing would be to see the Oilers vs. Islanders, where you'd have that special situation of the 80's Oilers 'taking over' from the Islanders dynasty just before them.

Lots of possibilities, anyway, and I'd like to see at least some of them happen.

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 10:42 AM
MrMackey

I would like to see the NHL try something different every five years or so... not a replication of the HC, but something innovative that can capture everyone's imagination. A game on the Rideau Canal was mentioned, and I thought that was a great idea... same with Bob McKenzie's suggestion of having ANA/LA play in Hawaii.

Maybe there are two weeks during the season where the original six teams play each of the other five teams in succession... creating a little round-robin within the season.

But I hate the idea of Toronto or Calgary duplicating the HC idea and trying to steal the spotlight. Although I would love nothing more than to see Toronto try to outshine us, and then have their event flop.

Closed Thread