HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev's magic

Old
11-16-2006, 05:52 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He's not even close....

Ovechkin
Crosby
Thornton
Spezza
Hossa
Havlat
Kovalchuk
...list goes on

are all above him. The only top 5 category he can be placed in is Stick Handling, which isn't the only skill, heck it's not even close to being the most important one.
I don't think you can use this list at all. Everyone above has been invisible in pressure situations (play-offs) and others have not been in the play-offs. Kovalev is a play-off performer. That's when it counts the absolute most.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Habitants

bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW-6ER9u8EQ

courtesy yours truely

enjoy

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think you can use this list at all. Everyone above has been invisible in pressure situations (play-offs) and others have not been in the play-offs. Kovalev is a play-off performer. That's when it counts the absolute most.
Other than Thornton all of those guys have done quite well in the playoffs (though Hossa could do better, and Crosby and Ovechkin haven't made it yet). That still has very little to do with skill though... Koivu is nearly a PPG guy in the playoffs and he's certainly no where near top 5 in the NHL. Both clutch players, but don't dare even whisper their names when talking about Top 5 Skill in the NHL, or you'll laughed at for years (want proof...make the list on the NHL boards, where they aren't biased toward our players)

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Other than Thornton all of those guys have done quite well in the playoffs (though Hossa could do better, and Crosby and Ovechkin haven't made it yet). That still has very little to do with skill though... Koivu is nearly a PPG guy in the playoffs and he's certainly no where near top 5 in the NHL. Both clutch players, but don't dare even whisper their names when talking about Top 5 Skill in the NHL, or you'll laughed at for years (want proof...make the list on the NHL boards, where they aren't biased toward our players)

Hossa and Havlat were both part of the Ottawa choke-job, year after year. Spezza has always been bad in pressure situations. Anyone remember gold medal game for Canada? 5-4 Russia, Spezza hits the cross bar on a sure goal? I know I do. And I've seen him fail in pressure situations many times after that.

You can be talented, sure, but if you ask me who I'd rather Thornton with 100 points in the season, and invisible in the play-offs. Or a PPG guy, who can win you a play-off series. I'll take option two.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Hossa and Havlat were both part of the Ottawa choke-job, year after year. Spezza has always been bad in pressure situations. Anyone remember gold medal game for Canada? 5-4 Russia, Spezza hits the cross bar on a sure goal? I know I do. And I've seen him fail in pressure situations many times after that.

You can be talented, sure, but if you ask me who I'd rather Thornton with 100 points in the season, and invisible in the play-offs. Or a PPG guy, who can win you a play-off series. I'll take option two.
That's not in question. The guy said that Kovalev is top 5 skilled in the NHL...What you're talking about has nothing to do with that. Thornton is more skilled than Kovalev, even if he's horrible in the playoffs. As for Havlat, the guy was Ottawa's best player last playoffs and I'd take him over any player on our team (short of higgins) same goes for Hossa, even if he was sub-par for ottawa.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Not bad but I've seen better (No sarcasm intended).
It's tough to not laugh at everything you say, with that avatar you got

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Kovalev's technical skills are the best in the league with Fedorov, I don't see how anyone can deny it unless they just have an irrationnal hate for him. You can ask any NHL coach, NHL player or anyone involved in hockey, it's one of those things that gets very few arguments. In terms of what a player can practice technically in terms of skill, Kovalev is perfect.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
The NHL boards is a group of people who have nothing to do with hockey other then their TV set. They are in no way, shape or form a proof of any kind.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 06:43 PM
pavlako11

the triangle of pucks

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:45 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Kovalev is the Yngwie Malmsteen of hockey. BTW, that's an insult.

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Kovalev is the Yngwie Malmsteen of hockey. BTW, that's an insult.
You mean that Yngwie effectively learned how to play the guitar again after his accident (I think it was a motorcycle crash) and became as well known as he is and Kovalev overcame doctors telling him that the health problems he had as a kid would stop him playing the game. They both overcame obsticles which most other people would never find a way around in order to have success doing what they both love doing?

Besides, I'd prefer to think of Kovalev as the Michael Romeo of hockey. Lets hope Gui becomes the Zakk Wylde of hockey and he can have the craziest playoff beard ever

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote