HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach Nolan

Old
11-16-2006, 08:10 PM
st bonnies*

vCash: 500
Coach Nolan

we are blessed to have Ted Nolan coach the Islanders. This guy really gets a lot out of his players. I am thoroughly impressed with him. He plays third line guys on the powerPlay, rewards effort, doesn't care about contract size, and seems to be enjoying his Islanders team......I can't say enough about ted. Sign him up to a 15 yr deal. He has been fantastic and will prove the critics wrong.

I have never seen Yashin play a more complete game til Ted arrived........the Defense is really standing up and the forwards are backchecking hard

Nolan for Coach of The Y ear

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Islanders1932

The best acquistion the Islanders made this year....

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
The best acquistion the Islanders made this year....
Only this year...???

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:32 PM
KH1

You can't argue with success

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
bfire

Good to see Ted finally get another chance and make the best of it.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 09:31 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Coach Nolan is the coach I have been clamoring for about 5 years now. I appreciate his approach to the game, to life itself in fact. He's a humble and cerebral guy, who knows the psychological aspect of the game, which hits home for me in particular. His passion is so evident, his love for the game as well, which I believe he is instilling in his "troops." This is the kind of guy I want to lock up with this organization for the long haul.

He's changing the culture as we speak, but what I am MOST interested in is how he will inculcate the younger core that we are generating into the already-established "new" culture. A culture of work ethic, accountability, passion and enjoyment in the game, and ultimately, success. It won't be perfect, and will have its highs and lows, but without them success could not be achieved. Sometimes one needs to take a step back to take two steps forward.

My ideal vision, speaking of "perfection," is for this team to have a relatively successful season, year one of a transitional year into a "new era." Whether that means the playoffs or not, that really isn't the crux of it. If the team exceeeds general expectations, I am happy and thus far they are, that's the crux. Allow for this organization to look up, in the right direction, one step at a time. As if it were a game-by-game mentality.

Now, with that new identity formed my hope is that some of our prospects jump into the mix of it next year, in year two of the transitional period. Mold these prospects from the beginning of their Islander NHL careers, that has begun this past training camp with the demotion, for example, of Robert Nilsson. Imagine what a motivated Yashin (as he has been 20 or so games in) flanked by some ambitious and energetic young talents, enticing indeed!

In year three, the transition to a home-grown core will continue head on, older players will be cut and contracts expired, opening up "greener" roles and positions. By this time, the "culture of winning," so to speak, will be in full force, as 1/2 of the roster will be prospects inculcated through the system. With year 4, 2/3rds and so on.

The common thread bringing this "grand scheme" together in my opinion--Teddy Nolan, yes he will apparantly "require" management's support, but ultimately he is the common denominator underlying AND upholding.
Integration, culture building and organization...

Last edited by BelovedIsles: 11-16-2006 at 09:38 PM.
BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:47 AM
NYYmt62

I have been very impressed with the way Nolan has run the team this year. He gets the guys motivated to play, and seems to run things a little differently than most coaches. The team is certainly looking much better than they have in the past. I have been most impressed with the way Nolan has finally gotten the team to break out of their zone. The team has never had a good breakout, and Nolan has finally brought in a good transition game. Not to mention the improved power play. My one qualm with Nolan so far has been that he has shown quite a bit of favortism. It seems that guys like Simon and Asham never miss a shift, yet they have not been doing much of anything for the hockey team. But all in all, he has been great behind the bench.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:05 AM
sketchykg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyymt62 View Post
I have been most impressed with the way Nolan has finally gotten the team to break out of their zone. The team has never had a good breakout, and Nolan has finally brought in a good transition game.
Funny you mention that... the practises that I've watched on ITV, they seem to practise breakouts extensively.

sketchykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:24 AM
BJo

Quote:
I My one qualm with Nolan so far has been that he has shown quite a bit of favortism. It seems that guys like Simon and Asham never miss a shift, yet they have not been doing much of anything for the hockey team. But all in all, he has been great behind the bench.
Are you joking? Asham plays 7 minutes a night when under our past coaches he was playing 15 minutes and regular shift. Asham does NOT play a regular shift at all! Simon was not playing a regular shift before he moved up to Yashin's line. I completely disagree with you

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 07:13 AM
GilliesGirlie

Nolan, is the best signing in a long time.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Eman Resu

How's this analogy? The Islanders are schoolkids, the coaches are the teachers.

When SS and Brad Shaw were behind the bench the Isles acted like kids act when they have a substitute teacher. They went through the motions but didn't really learn too much. There were the goody-goodies like Blake who kissed up but most of them were making fart noises every time the teachers backs were turned and no one benefitted.

Steve "fire in the belly, fire in the lip" Stirling and Brad Shaw just didn't have the imagination or ability to rally this team. Nolan on the other hand seems to be the real deal. If there is a problem it is addressed and there seems to be a quiet respect for him... like if something is going wrong, you know he takes part of the blame and works to make it better.

That said, I also think that it helps that we have more veterans on the team who have leadership-type qualities. But so far, so good. And it seems most agree. Newsday currently has a poll up on their website asking readers to rate Nolan's performance so far.

34% have given him an "A".
49% have given him a "B".
12% have given him a "C".

and the other 5 or 6 percent who rated him D or F must be Ranger fans...

Eman Resu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
PlayoffBeard

This is a good thread. I wanted to started this one but was beaten to the punch.

Anyone know how long Nolan's contract is for? He should have been the one signed to a 15yr deal!!!

PlayoffBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
My one qualm with Nolan so far has been that he has shown quite a bit of favortism. It seems that guys like Simon and Asham never miss a shift, yet they have not been doing much of anything for the hockey team.
Find me a coach who does not favor certain players and I'll find you a losing coach.

This is not intramurals.

You may not agree with Nolan's "favorites", but, IMO, your concept of favoratism is off-base.

(I personally agree 100% with getting icetime for Simon and Asham. They add a unique element to this team and are both most certainly contributing, albeit not in the most blatant ways.)

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

EYE HEART TEDDY!!!!!!

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Aucoin3

I have to admit Im a little nervous that he will jump ship on us after this contract for big money elsewhere.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:56 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
It seems that guys like Simon and Asham never miss a shift, yet they have not been doing much of anything for the hockey team. But all in all, he has been great behind the bench.
I dont know man, I thought Asham was in the midst of having his best two weeks so far this season.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
I have to admit Im a little nervous that he will jump ship on us after this contract for big money elsewhere.
This is a spot the Islanders need to be willing to spend money....sign Teddy to a long term deal, a long long long deal

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
This is a spot the Islanders need to be willing to spend money....sign Teddy to a long term deal, a long long long deal
Be careful what you wish for... If Nolan's this good now, imagine how good he'll be when he's 75?

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:56 AM
st bonnies*

the grinders

the hard work is paying off. The grinders get rewareded with added ice time and PP. Asham is a great example of a hardworker who will get better with Nolan. I actually feel Simon as ben a quality pickup. He is tough as nails and a Nolan supporter

Looks like the guys are having fun with Teddy and playing hard for him is his reward. we are becoming a solid team on the road...........

Nolan is a keeper

Old
11-19-2006, 11:16 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
A few thoughts on this:

- Wang has demonstrated a desire to lock in people he deems key.
- Wang, personally, brought Nolan back from the blacklist when no one else would even interview him (aside from Irving in Moncton)
- Wang has no problem spending money and Nolan doesn't count against the cap
- I believe there may be something to the fact that one of the few minority (only?) owners hired a minority coach and I believe there is a bond there - both have similar stories of rising to success against the odds. Both speak often of this, so I wouldn't discount it
- I believe Nolan has great integrity and loyalty, and will give Wang every opportunity to retain his services long term
- If he builds a winner, he'll likely want to stick around and keep winning

Not saying it will happen, just saying I think the odds are good he'll be around for a while.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 04:03 PM
st bonnies*

why wouldn t he be loyal??? Wanh hired him after nine years of being blackballed!!!!
he s here to stay