HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The PK Has gotta change...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-16-2006, 11:55 PM
  #1
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
The PK Has gotta change...

I'm disgusted with the PK. Axe and Primeau clearly should not be on the PK. Axe may be great at shadowing players but he certainly isn't a PK specialist. They are not doing the fundamentals- simple things like playing the Box. It's getting frustrating watching them consistently give up goals.

Lewis turned around the PP. It's now time to change up the PK. Try Sturm and Mowers, possibly Statsny. These guys have clearly worked their way off the unit.

They almost blew it again tonight. We've been consistently last in the league- time to change.

Also, what is going on with Chsitov-Kessel-Tenkrat. They came out flying tonight in the 1st period. Then Lewis rolled them out as the 4th line in the 2nd period and played them very little in the third.

They played much better than Primeau-Mowers-Donovan but played less. This is puzzling to me.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:08 AM
  #2
Disciple of Chezz
Registered User
 
Disciple of Chezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PJ PJ Pajama Party!
Country: Germany
Posts: 511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeB View Post
Axe certainly isn't a PK specialist.


win.

Disciple of Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:29 AM
  #3
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,022
vCash: 500
You know who was great on the PK? Stastny was going fantastic there IMO.

Unfortunately Lewis is going loyal with his guy Mowers. Too bad, cause the kid earned his shot with some great shot blocks and hits.



I say that PJ had 25mins the other night..... RIDICULOUS. When he was playing 12-15 you can expect killer PK... but when he is playing half the friggen game he is not going to be able to give that extra bit on the PK.

Play PJ abit less to get more out of him IMO.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:08 AM
  #4
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
You know who was great on the PK? Stastny was going fantastic there IMO.

Unfortunately Lewis is going loyal with his guy Mowers. Too bad, cause the kid earned his shot with some great shot blocks and hits.



I say that PJ had 25mins the other night..... RIDICULOUS. When he was playing 12-15 you can expect killer PK... but when he is playing half the friggen game he is not going to be able to give that extra bit on the PK.

Play PJ abit less to get more out of him IMO.

Agreed. I like the idea of PJ on a line with Savard and Murray-spread out the offense. What I don't like is PJ on the PP, and on the ice when the team needs offense. PJ has been generating offense- however at a rate of 1 in 5 scoring chances.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
  #5
jtechkidbruin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
kessell verse mowers

i agree been saying that a lot about why kessell gets little ice time and primeau gets more. my only view is since kessell line has limited nhl ice time the last 2 years that they are taking it real slow with them. remember what the bruins did with thornton. but the last 3 games that line is flying in the first period then they basicly play little second and sit the whole third period. primeau is good for at least 1 hooking penalty every game because he has no foot speed-been in league for 7-8 years and has done nothing and with new nhl with quick foot speed he should be waived. kessel got 5 goals and should have 8-9 and he plays average 3minutes a period.

jtechkidbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
  #6
Bruinster*
 
Bruinster*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind the enemy lin
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
You can laugh all you want, But Gill was a monster on PK situation for the Bruins for good number of years. we miss him on PK.

Weak goals by goalie don't help either, But Thomas last few game is encouraging.

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:41 AM
  #7
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeB View Post
I'm disgusted with the PK. Axe and Primeau clearly should not be on the PK. Axe may be great at shadowing players but he certainly isn't a PK specialist. They are not doing the fundamentals- simple things like playing the Box. It's getting frustrating watching them consistently give up goals.

Lewis turned around the PP. It's now time to change up the PK. Try Sturm and Mowers, possibly Statsny. These guys have clearly worked their way off the unit.

They almost blew it again tonight. We've been consistently last in the league- time to change.

Also, what is going on with Chsitov-Kessel-Tenkrat. They came out flying tonight in the 1st period. Then Lewis rolled them out as the 4th line in the 2nd period and played them very little in the third.

They played much better than Primeau-Mowers-Donovan but played less. This is puzzling to me.

Heh? Primeau lost one faceoff and he is bad on the PK? He was the team's top PKer a few nights ago against Ottawa. Axe is great on the pk.

Sturm and Mowers on the PK over Primeau and Axe. Wow....now I have finally heard it all.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
  #8
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtechkidbruin View Post
i agree been saying that a lot about why kessell gets little ice time and primeau gets more. my only view is since kessell line has limited nhl ice time the last 2 years that they are taking it real slow with them. remember what the bruins did with thornton. but the last 3 games that line is flying in the first period then they basicly play little second and sit the whole third period. primeau is good for at least 1 hooking penalty every game because he has no foot speed-been in league for 7-8 years and has done nothing and with new nhl with quick foot speed he should be waived. kessel got 5 goals and should have 8-9 and he plays average 3minutes a period.
To be quite honest- I'm not a fan of anyone on the Primeau-Mowers-Donovan line. I'd take Statsny over all 3. I'd also look at calling up Pelletier to play on that line.

I'll deal with Mowers becuase he makes the league minimum and is defensively responsible.

I honestly don't see any reasons to keep Primeau:
- He is taking away ice time from young players like Kessel, Chistov, Statsny, and Tenkrat (He averages 16+ minutes a night whereas these players have been playing between 8-12 minutes a night)
- He is making 1.15 million
- He is one of the worst PKer's in the NHL (30th in the league PK)
- He takes stupid hooking penalties becuase he can't keep pace (2nd in the team in penalties)
- He is consistently on the ice when the other team scores
- face-off % <50%
- Has only thrown 12 hits this season

In regards to Donovan I haven't been impressed either. His stats are a little better but not great either

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
  #9
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Axelsson is not good on the PK??

He sacrificed himself to stop that McCabe shot point blank. McCabe did well to get it under him. Axe is fine on the PK, but would be more effective if he had less PP time. Last night, he didn't get a whole lot of time on the PK for some reason. Donovan has wheels but I'm not sure he's very effective on the PK unless he is forechecking and putting pressure before the puck gets into the zone. After that, it's a doozy. Primeau has to be a PK specialist for this team. He either makes it or breaks it imho. He's being paid enough that he can do something well. One guy that I think needs more PK time is Glen Murray. He is great at getting sticks in the passing lane and chipping pucks out of the zone along the boards. I'm not too fond of the way Lewis runs the PK. If it were up to me I would go with 3 units rotating Axelsson, Primeau, Bergeron, Murray and putting Boyes or Sturm on in the final 20-30 seconds. Defense should be a rotation of Chara, Alberts, Mara and Stuart with Jurcina being the extra.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:15 AM
  #10
Bruinster*
 
Bruinster*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind the enemy lin
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Heh? Primeau lost one faceoff and he is bad on the PK? He was the team's top PKer a few nights ago against Ottawa. Axe is great on the pk.

Sturm and Mowers on the PK over Primeau and Axe. Wow....now I have finally heard it all.

I agree with you about PJ, he's great on PK and if he can add some muscle he'll be a lot better.

Now Primeau, his defensive play and more importantly his PK duty look like his offense, on some shift he look like Forsberg and others a AHLer.

He can make the job on PK, but his game is very inconsistant, it very tough to guess which Primeau you send on the ice shift after shift. It's not a good thing for Penalty killer.

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:40 PM
  #11
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,875
vCash: 500
axelsson is one of the best PKers in all of hockey. i stopped reading after your first sentence.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
  #12
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
axelsson is one of the best PKers in all of hockey. i stopped reading after your first sentence.
I agree 100%.

One of the points being made though is that Axelsson should see less PP time so he can focus on being more of a PK specialist.

What do you think of Wayne Primeau's PK abilities?

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
  #13
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
I agree 100%.

One of the points being made though is that Axelsson should see less PP time so he can focus on being more of a PK specialist.

What do you think of Wayne Primeau's PK abilities?
i think axe should play as many minutes as he can handle, which is up to the coaches to decide. and if there's an area where he should be lifted, PP would be the place for sure.

primeau, to me, is a solid PKer. he's not really extraordinary at anything, but he's dogged and that's a good trait for a PKer. terrible on the draw though. my favorite preems is the one who chases the loose puck, gets it, puts his head down, and drives right to the net.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
  #14
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i think axe should play as many minutes as he can handle, which is up to the coaches to decide. and if there's an area where he should be lifted, PP would be the place for sure.

primeau, to me, is a solid PKer. he's not really extraordinary at anything, but he's dogged and that's a good trait for a PKer. terrible on the draw though. my favorite preems is the one who chases the loose puck, gets it, puts his head down, and drives right to the net.
Primeau is 46% in the faceoff circle. That's pretty bad (anything lower than 50 is bad in my books). I think Primeau is better suited to play wing. I don't find him all that great on defensize zone coverage required for a center. Have him cover the points and NOT take the faceoffs and I think he'll be more effective.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:14 PM
  #15
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Primeau is 46% in the faceoff circle. That's pretty bad (anything lower than 50 is bad in my books). I think Primeau is better suited to play wing. I don't find him all that great on defensize zone coverage required for a center. Have him cover the points and NOT take the faceoffs and I think he'll be more effective.
primeau's career in boston won't last past this season. the bruins have tons of young kids who can play a similar role starting next fall. i do like primeau's work ethic, and willingness to throw the body, and how he goes to the net like a kamikaze. but i was wrong about his ability to play a third line center role in the new NHL - he's better suited to play 4th line and PK, and for 1.1M, that's too expensive for said role. karsums should be a great fit doing similar things, and he's got hands too.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
  #16
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
primeau's career in boston won't last past this season. the bruins have tons of young kids who can play a similar role starting next fall. i do like primeau's work ethic, and willingness to throw the body, and how he goes to the net like a kamikaze. but i was wrong about his ability to play a third line center role in the new NHL - he's better suited to play 4th line and PK, and for 1.1M, that's too expensive for said role. karsums should be a great fit doing similar things, and he's got hands too.
Do you think there's any chance that he likes it here and will return at a discounted price? If there's room for him in the lineup on the 4th line playing 8-10 min and PK, I'd take him at 600k or so. He's a good vet to have around...

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:18 PM
  #17
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
axelsson is one of the best PKers in all of hockey. i stopped reading after your first sentence.
Not this year

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:35 PM
  #18
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeB View Post
Not this year
I agree with you, but it isnt because of his pk ability, its because he is getting too many minutes out there. Hes used to his 12 minutes a game, then he can bust *** on the PK. Now hes out there for over 20 minutes, and he's been way too lax on the PK

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:40 PM
  #19
jahbrations
Registered User
 
jahbrations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
You know who was great on the PK? Stastny was going fantastic there IMO.

Unfortunately Lewis is going loyal with his guy Mowers. Too bad, cause the kid earned his shot with some great shot blocks and hits.
I agree 100% Stastny actually brought energy to his shifts. He seemed to knock people off their game.

jahbrations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
  #20
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahbrations View Post
I agree 100% Stastny actually brought energy to his shifts. He seemed to knock people off their game.
I think we should rotate bewteen Statsny, Sturm, and Axe on the PK. However, I would only put Axe on the PK if Lewis takes him off the PP completely.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:16 PM
  #21
NHRonin
Registered User
 
NHRonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vieste, Italy
Country: United States
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
axelsson is one of the best PKers in all of hockey. i stopped reading after your first sentence.
I agree too. Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch the games or just develop a general dislike of certain players.

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:19 PM
  #22
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff
 
PlayMakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,526
vCash: 500
Completely disagree. Axe is as good as it gets on the PK. The only reason our PK has been bad is because of the shaky goaltending. What's that old saying, 'Your best PK'er is your goalie.' As the goaltending has improved so has our effectiveness. If the goaltending is strong, we have the potential to have one of the best PK's in hockey with guys like Axe, Bergeron, Chara, Stuart, Donovan and Alberts (who's a monster on the PK). The one change I'd like to see: Sturm get used more. His speed and defensive savvy make him a great PK'er and a SH scoring threat.


Last edited by PlayMakers: 11-17-2006 at 08:25 PM.
PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:44 PM
  #23
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
75% of the PK is related to the goaltender... Thomas have a S% of .898.. You have an answer right there...

Latrappe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:55 PM
  #24
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
75% of the PK is related to the goaltender... Thomas have a S% of .898.. You have an answer right there...
Where did you dig up that 75% figure?

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:17 AM
  #25
CapeB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Heh? Primeau lost one faceoff and he is bad on the PK?
One faceoff? He's has a less than 50% face-off % and looses critical faceoffs-like the one you just mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
He was the team's top PKer a few nights ago against Ottawa.
Our PK is 30th in the league. So he's the best of the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Axe is great on the pk.
Axe used to be great on the PK. However, he hasn't been playing up to his expectations. This may be a result of him being tired-I'm not sure. Regardless, the other teams are scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Sturm and Mowers on the PK over Primeau and Axe.
Sturm has all the tools to be a PK specialist. Look at Vermette and Higgins. They not only kill penalties but put up decent offensive numbers on the PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Wow....now I have finally heard it all.
These suggestions can't do much worse than the current PK situation. Or maybe we could be 31st in the league on the PK


Last edited by CapeB: 11-18-2006 at 12:23 AM.
CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.