HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kane>Calder? Give me a break.

Old
11-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Kane>Calder? Give me a break.

I know this team is now on their first winning streak in who knows how long, but I'm seriously not thrilled with Kyle Calder being a scratch two games in a row now.

If it was one game for skipping that OPTIONAL practice, then I could understand.

Nobody can possibly think that Boyd Kane is a better option over Kyle Calder right now.

Calder might be snake-bitten, but he recently started putting up a few points, he creates chances every game whether they go in or not, he's a good skater, he's a great penalty killer.

We have all new lines once again, three of them don't make a lick of sense. Richards and Calder made a great duo everywhere on the ice, now Richards is stuck playing with Kane and Eager and doing nothing but wasting minutes.

Can someone honestly convince me that Boyd Kane (or Grant even) are better options, getting 3 minutes a night, over Calder, a legitimate and good NHL player?

If you're going to trade him, trade him. But there's too much AHL on this roster as it is to be leaving a good NHL player sitting in the stands watching some scrub career AHLer (who couldn't even make the Capitals last year) take his minutes.

This organization really leaves me scratching my head sometimes.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:48 AM
TheKingPin

he is not preforming right now. the other guys are playing well inculding kane and grant. Sj is a physical team i think that they need to be there but i guess they should think about sitting grant or kane for him, maybe. but just a matter of them playing well and deserving to play here.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

He's played well too.

He has the work ethic needed on this team and can take minutes on a scoring line and be an effective player - it's what he's always done.

Now we're throwing in 2 scrub AHLers, putting them with scoring players, and they do nothing.

I fail to see how scrub AHLers are "earning" their time and Calder hasn't.

If not scoring a goal this season is grounds for scratching, then scratch Pitkanen, scratch Richards too.

It's just a dumb decision. Calder=NHL player that works hard. Kane=AHL player that works hard and clearly doesn't have the ability to play a lot of minutes because he's on the bench in the third period. Why limit yourself to a certain amount of players late in games when you don't have to? Scratch the scrub, dress the NHL player.

And for all I keep hearing about Kane being physical, I've seen him throw one check this year. One.

Old
11-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Coburnfan05

I honestly don't think Kane is better then Calder...but the way he is playing Calder has no right to even be dressed.

Coburnfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Steve L*

Calders been scratched twice and we've got 2 wins, he may come back after the 1st loss.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan View Post
I honestly don't think Kane is better then Calder...but the way he is playing Calder has no right to even be dressed.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:13 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Kane=AHL player that works hard and clearly doesn't have the ability to play a lot of minutes because he's on the bench in the third period. Why limit yourself to a certain amount of players late in games when you don't have to? Scratch the scrub, dress the NHL player.
I was thinking that late last night.

Only thing that makes sense is that they are trying to teach Calder a lesson.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:22 AM
LePalle

Quote:
He's played well too.

He has the work ethic needed on this team and can take minutes on a scoring line and be an effective player - it's what he's always done.

Now we're throwing in 2 scrub AHLers, putting them with scoring players, and they do nothing.

If not scoring a goal this season is grounds for scratching, then scratch Pitkanen, scratch Richards too.

It's just a dumb decision. Calder=NHL player that works hard. Kane=AHL player that works hard and clearly doesn't have the ability to play a lot of minutes because he's on the bench in the third period. Why limit yourself to a certain amount of players late in games when you don't have to? Scratch the scrub, dress the NHL player.

And for all I keep hearing about Kane being physical, I've seen him throw one check this year. One.
Calder had a poor start to the season obviously, but who didnt? Hes obviously got more skill than Kane or Grant could ever hope to have. The thing that gets me is, with this poor start hes had, youd expect him to be at any practice, optional or not, and trying to get back into form. Not to be missing a practice, which is what he did. What exactly does that tell you about his desire? Hes already seen Dimitrakos, Nedved, Baumgartner, etc. get sent down, youd think hed be working harder. Now, Im not in the practices, Im not in the dressing room, I dont know everything that goes on...but until Calder shows that he has a strong desire to be a part of this team and truly wants to get things going, he shouldnt be a part of this team. I would much rather have young guys who suck and provide little in terms of points than someone who even has a remote possibility of bringing this team down even a little. Maybe sitting him out is just what was needed to get Calder to play like we know he can.

As for Kane being a physical presence...hes thrown a couple hits, and I believe he also had a fight.

LePalle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Kaktus*

Sometimes it is good to have some time off. You could tell he is frustrated and has no confidence. Calder played for a losing team before he was scratched maybe he will play better on the team that won a few games? I mean Flyers did score 5.5 GPG in last two games. Personally I was all over him as a fan but he did suck.

I would definitely think about using him against the Sharks. He deserves another chance.

Scratch Kane and give Calder another chance and when Fedoruk gets better sent Grant back to AHL.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:50 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I was thinking that late last night.

Only thing that makes sense is that they are trying to teach Calder a lesson.
It seemed to work with Nedved !!! Calder needs a few games to let hom know his play does not cut it right now. He will come back playing better, count on it.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Jester

i'm going with teaching him a lesson... that being said, i thought he'd been creating a bit more of late... no goals, but some assists and whatnot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:53 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:

The point is well taken, though honestly I can not say I have been impressed with Calders work ethic on the ice. He is more skilled than Kane to be sure, and has been generating chances, but he's kinda reminded me of Nedved this season. Both have games when they give 100%, but both seem to disappear and glide around the ice. I like to think the benching is a way of lighting a fire under his bum, rather than the result of a talent assesment which concludes Kane>Calder.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

[QUOTE=Kaktus;7093011]Sometimes it is good to have some time off. You [\QUOTE]Dittos. Sometimes watching can give perspective. I thought he played very well against Toronto.

Hopefully whatever is happening will work well as the Flyers need to start string together victories and the only way they do that is to get guys like Calder online and producing.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Apache

Quote:
We have all new lines once again, three of them don't make a lick of sense. Richards and Calder made a great duo everywhere on the ice, now Richards is stuck playing with Kane and Eager and doing nothing but wasting minutes.
I agree with you, even when heís not scoring, Calder brings more on the ice than Kane. I must say I donít understand at all the line combinations used last night (and in Anaheim). A line of grinders (Kane-Richards-Eager), a line of playmakers (Nedved-Robitaille-Kapanen) while Umberger and Sanderson, probably the best finishers on the team (except for Gagne) are stuck together on the fourth line with Grant. None of these lines created a goal last night. The first goal came after a powerplay with Sanderson-Richards-Robitaille on the ice. Umberger and Richards were playing together on the third goal and at the end of the game, Sanderson-Richards-Umberger played only one shift together and it created a goal. I know Stevens was probably afraid to change his lines after the big win in Anaheim, but I really think these lines need some adjustments. And I donít think Kane did anything to earn himself a place in the lineup in the last two games but hopefully Calder will come back transformed after this so that there will be no reason to bench him ever again.

Quote:
Can someone honestly convince me that Boyd Kane (or Grant even) are better options, getting 3 minutes a night, over Calder, a legitimate and good NHL player?
It would make more sense if Kane really get 3 minutes of ice time a night, but he averaged a little more than 10 minutes in the last two games. He even had more ice time than Sanderson in the game in AnaheimÖ

Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
pelts35.com

I don't have much of a problem with it. Yes, Calder has more talent, but based on this season's stats...

Calder - 17 games, 0 goals, 3 assists, -14, 14 PIMs
Kane - 9 games, 0 goals, 1 assist, -3, 9 PIMs

Calder hasn't really earned much icetime.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:31 AM
facts

he will be back soon enough and I do agree that he should sit and think a bit about his game and where he fits. Interestingly enough Sami and RJ have gotten more ice out of this and seem to be benefitting from the shuffle. It not necessarilly as much about Calder sitting it is about who is playing. I was more intregued with Nitty getting the start last night and Esche not being rewarded with a string of starts.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackbox View Post
As for Kane being a physical presence...hes thrown a couple hits, and I believe he also had a fight.
You mean that wrestling match?

Good points everyone. I feel a little better now. I just hope he's back in there for Saturday night because it's the same thing as last year, these lines need consistency. If the players aren't hurt, they have to build chemistry with 2 other guys and stick with it.