HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

How was Goldie?

Old
11-17-2006, 08:58 AM
wpring

vCash: 500
How was Goldie?

Anyone watch on FSN? we had mervinin on the radio and he was not bad but not nearly as good as Goldie. I have listened to a lot of radio guys over the years but Goldie and Moller are my favorite. How was Goldie on TV?

wpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
He wasn't bad. As per typical the FSN Florida feed had audio problems, and at one point only Goldie could talk, Potvin had his mic cut, which led to much joking around that Goldie wasn't responsible for it. I'd say they actually had more chemistry together than Strader and Potvin did, plus Potvin didn't go off on his trademark tangents.

To say the least though, I'm glad I don't have to watch Denis for the Islanders game (not on FSN Florida) because that's all Potvin talks about. I would say in all Strader is a better play by play but Goldie works better with Potvin. Won't lie though, radio calls by Goldie/Moller have always been quite homerish, Goldie loves this team and Moller thinks he was a big star here

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:15 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
He wasn't bad. As per typical the FSN Florida feed had audio problems, and at one point only Goldie could talk, Potvin had his mic cut, which led to much joking around that Goldie wasn't responsible for it. I'd say they actually had more chemistry together than Strader and Potvin did, plus Potvin didn't go off on his trademark tangents.
he couldn't - goldie was filling every single moment of air time with the play by play

seriously though, i thought he did well. he called the game like he was calling it for radio but that's something i'm sure he'd adjust to. i enjoyed the call more than i usually enjoy strader's. strader does a solid job (though anybody would seem stellar compared to rimer) but nothing special and there's really not much chemistry between he and potvin. seems like goldie and potvin might be good together.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:34 AM
wpring

Goldie and Moller have great chemistry and yes, they clearly are Panther fans. I think that was the one problem with Mervini's play call, he forgot he was on radio and not TV, on Radio you have to keep calling the play, you cannot take 20-30 seconds to describe a play you saw in the MTL-TB game the night before while MTL is on the PP.

Overall I look forward to having Goldie back on Sat - or finally convincing my wife that adding Center Ice will not turn me into a hockey-crazed maniac (like Sunday Ticket has for football)

wpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 12:05 PM
PantherBlood6*

i like strader alot as a play-by-play guy - my only beef with him, and this may sound funny, but he isn't enough of a "homer" for my liking.

he worked for espn for a long time and i believe it effects the way he calls games now. the way he calls a goal when the opposition scores is identical to the way he does it when florida scores. if you listen to goldie, or any other popular play-by-play guy, i guarantee you they don't do that. they will scream when the home team scores, and when the opposition scores they will dull it out. strader is very good at keeping up with the play, usually very descriptive and accurate, and doesn't go off on tangents like rimer....but the goal call is lacking for me.

it's almost like a home run call in baseball...if the opposition hits one....the play by play guy does a simple, quiet "back....back...back...gone." but if the home team hits one...."THE BALL IS CRUSHED...WAY BACK...AT THE TRACK...OUTTA HERE!!!" that stuff is important to alot of fans - it adds to the excitiment i think.

i love listening to buffalo's announcer for that reason alone. he is hysterical when the sabres score - it sounds like he is having an aneurysm.

anyway, i like them both alot, but goldie is probably a little more "fun" to listen to.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote