HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New News around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Acadmus

vCash: 500
New News around the NHL thread

Just have to comment on the Nashville - Minnesota game and figured I'd start a new "Around the league" thread to do it.

This game seems like a textbook case of how to cheat to win. With the game going back and forth on the scoreboard, Nashville ends up receiving a major disadvantage after Minnesota first elbows one Nashville defenseman to the head, knocking him out of the game, then high sticks another in the face badly enough to take him out of the game.

Minnesota then goes on to win 7-6 in the shootout. Can't tell from the recap, but they may have scored the two goals it took to tie the game after those events happened, too.

I would sincerely hope Campbell takes a close look at this game. The boxscore shows no elbowing or high sticking penalties in the third (the high stick drew blood and should have been an automatic major), so it seems the refs missed the calls on both. If there's no punishment, this could be the new strategy for certain teams to win.

Let me say also that, due to the lack of an enforcer, I hope the Panthers aren't playing Minnesota this season if this is what you can expect from them.

Old
11-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Well we ARE playing Minnesota this season, away in fact. I'd say our chances of beating them in general are extremely low, they do lead their division are regardless of their play have some excellent players on there.

With that said, I saw the game's tail end and it was nothing if not exciting, insane hits that had no call, not sure if they were illegal, Preds blew the lead, crazy crazy OT with a flying Kariya getting the penalty shot but only getting crossbar and then the 4 round shootout. All in all certainly entertaining, if you're not a Preds fan that is.

Anyway this season, we don't play Central (which is good and bad, we were 4-1 against them last season) but we play Pacific at home and let me tell you we'll need every home ice advantage to have a shot against some of those teams. Northwest is all away, including a January date with none other than the Canucks and Luongo, with likely a healthy Bertuzzi by then, a not to miss game.

Old
11-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Acadmus

Columbus got the bigger star in the draft in Nash (though Gaborik's no slouch), but Minnesota certainly has done better in all other aspects.

Though to be fair, last season the cards got stacked against Columbus when half the team got the flu just before the season started.

Old
11-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

No source yet...just watching the game...

Tampa's coach, Torts, just got ejected from the game (vs. the Rangers) for dropping F bombs all over the refs.

Old
11-19-2006, 08:32 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
No source yet...just watching the game...

Tampa's coach, Torts, just got ejected from the game (vs. the Rangers) for dropping F bombs all over the refs.
I was watching that as well. That was so great that I had to take out the camera and record it on video Actually my avatar is a screenshot from it.

Old
11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk View Post
I was watching that as well. That was so great that I had to take out the camera and record it on video Actually my avatar is a screenshot from it.
Awesome!

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room?

Old
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Acadmus

Trent Yawney was fired as coach of the Blackhawks today and Denis Savard was named new head coach (permanently, not interim).

Hmm...where'd I see that. Oh, yeah, another forum But anyway I'm sure it's on any sports news site.

Old
11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Acadmus

Just saw this on the ECHL and other pro leagues board about Peter Worrell:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6787980&postcount=11

Anyone confirm?

Old
11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Coyotes trade Tyson Nash and a pick to Toronto for goalie Michael Tellqvist. That's another goalie off the market (not that he's a good one) and now we may see Tucker AND Nash on the same team...ok yikes. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=186264&hubname=nhl

Old
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
Just saw this on the ECHL and other pro leagues board about Peter Worrell:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=6787980&postcount=11

Anyone confirm?
I can find out if it's true.

Old
12-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Lightning claim Andre Roy off waivers. Methinks they missed him? Looks like they've got an enforcer now, oh boy. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=186821&hubname=nhl

Last edited by Panthers Rock: 12-02-2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Anyone have any thoughts on the Ovechkin check on Briere? I honestly don't think it warrants a suspension. I just think a lot of people overreacted.

Old
12-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Acadmus

I was going to post this earlier and then forgot.

Another one blossoms: Anyone notice that Viktor Kozlov is stepping up to lead the Isles in Yashin's absence, scoring 6 goals in the last two games and leading the team to 1st place in the Atlantic Division?

11 goals on the season and 20 points in 26 games...why can't they ever show this kind of leadership and game domination while wearing a Panthers jersey?

Old
12-04-2006, 03:26 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
I was going to post this earlier and then forgot.

Another one blossoms: Anyone notice that Viktor Kozlov is stepping up to lead the Isles in Yashin's absence, scoring 6 goals in the last two games and leading the team to 1st place in the Atlantic Division?

11 goals on the season and 20 points in 26 games...why can't they ever show this kind of leadership and game domination while wearing a Panthers jersey?
well, he couldn't really contribute in NJ. i thought for sure they'd be able to pull something from him. maybe it's nolan? circumstance (coaching, schemes, morale, linemates, etc.) has a lot to do with a player's success - there are very few players who can succeed regardless of circumstance. i guess this is just another way of saying what we've been saying - this has just been a lousy franchise to play for the past 10 years.

on that note, an article from SI - Cold Panthers, fiery Isles.

Old
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
well, he couldn't really contribute in NJ. i thought for sure they'd be able to pull something from him. maybe it's nolan? circumstance (coaching, schemes, morale, linemates, etc.) has a lot to do with a player's success - there are very few players who can succeed regardless of circumstance. i guess this is just another way of saying what we've been saying - this has just been a lousy franchise to play for the past 10 years.

on that note, an article from SI - Cold Panthers, fiery Isles.
Y'know, I know I said I was hoping the Panthers would hire Nolan, I think back when Dudley was looking for a new head coach. Or maybe before they hired Duds.

Ah, well - no accounting for the NHL's personal grudges that kept him unemployed for years after winning the Jack Adams.

Old
12-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

The Blackhawks have made a splash today and have signed Peter Bondra.

http://chicagoblackhawks.com/news/ne...?story_id=3580

And also of course, Bob Gainey's daughter is lost at sea.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187947&hubname=nhl

Old
12-10-2006, 01:11 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Best wishes to Gainey.

This is NHL news kinda :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/sp...ey&oref=slogin

Quote:
Vote for Rory
There is always a bit of cheerful ballot-box stuffing in the fans’ voting for the N.H.L. All-Star Game, but perhaps the merriest get-out-the-vote effort is the Vote for Rory campaign this season. The object is to gain an All-Star starting position for defenseman Rory Fitzpatrick, a steady 31-year-old journeyman for the Vancouver Canucks, his fifth N.H.L. team.
The homespun campaign is the effort of Steve Schmid, a fan from Auburn, N.Y., near Fitzpatrick’s hometown, Rochester. The campaign’s Web site, voteforrory.com, has registered close to 100,000 hits; fans in Canadian rinks have taken to holding up signs backing Fitzpatrick; and a series of pro-Rory spoof clips has sprouted on YouTube.
The result is that even though Fitzpatrick has missed the past month because of an ankle injury and had no points in the 16 games he played, he had received about 145,000 votes, fifth among all defensemen in the Western Conference. And he is not on the official ballot.
Fitzpatrick told reporters Dec. 1 that it was “kind of funny, actually,” but on Thursday he said, “I don’t like to be the focal point of anything.”
No matter. If his total rises to the No. 2 spot when voting closes Jan. 2, he will start on Jan. 23 in Dallas.
Hahaha The way HF guys are voting, Rory will probably end up having more votes than Niedermayer and Lidstrom.

Old
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Slitty

If anyone cares, Andrei Lomakin just passed away at the age of 43.

Old
12-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
What happened?

For that matter, why'd he stop playing for the Panthers so young? Would've been what, 30?

Old
12-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Lauser3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Wow...sad news. Rest In Peace Andrei.

Old
12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Acadmus

I couldn't find any news or even reference in other threads here on the hfboards. Do you have a link to a source?

Old
12-14-2006, 10:50 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
i'm guessing it's simply from this:

http://www.hockeydb.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8812

Old
12-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Siberian

Here is on Lomakin
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=4218

Old
12-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Is this officially the worst deal in hockey ever?

Mr. Mathieu Biron is a Hab, god help them if they ever are dumb enough to call him up.

Old
12-15-2006, 01:06 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Is this officially the worst deal in hockey ever?

Mr. Mathieu Biron is a Hab, god help them if they ever are dumb enough to call him up.
This news just made my day. If anything bad happens to me for the next 10 hours, I could just think about this and laugh. Come on Habs! There wasn't any other BETTER defensemen available?

Closed Thread