HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to Improve on Ice Speed

Old
09-17-2006, 01:28 AM
Adam91

vCash: 500
How to Improve on Ice Speed

A while ago I asked how I could improve one on one offensivly and I got alot of responses so now I'm going to ask on how I can improve my speed mostly interms of how I can improve it on roller blades. Ask how it was with one on one skill I'm above average interms of speed but I need to get alot faster to go to the next level. What kinds of drills can I do to improve this? I do agility ladders and stuff but I mean stuff I can do on rollerblades. I think it would help just to work on my crossovers and build there speed up? Is there anything I can do to get like Marian Gaborik blazing down the ice full speed with the puck? or am I just dreaming?
Anyway overall what can I do to get faster? Should I keep my strides shorter?

Thanks for the help,

Adam

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 11:40 AM
aerialis

crossovers are pretty good for that, just keep trying to increase your foot speed.. something else you might want to try is ankle weights, just throwing it out there

not a doctor, but having a strong core so you can be balanced in a deep turn and still deliver a good push might help, one way to train for that is getting a yoga ball -- i find that when i stand up on it and do squats, it just beats the crap out of me because everything is firing to stay in control (and not fall off)

aerialis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Take some power skating lessons or find a skating treadmill. But there's also a simple fix, like just skating everyday and keep working hard on it. Or maybe do a minor skate sharpening adjustment...if you have a big hollow, itmight be slowing you down a bit.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 03:13 PM
MikeD

short rapid strides take you out of a comfort zone, improving foot work and speed. They also provide burst speed for a hard change of direction or start. Remember to work both right and left side cross overs. Power skate clinic is another great piece of advice. Until you have the correct form and technique you wont get max gains from physical development. You also want to have someone with strong knowledge review the mechanics of your stride. Technique is very important to getting all your power into a stride.

Swiss ball and balance board work(not wobble board) will improve proprioception, balance and core strength. Some time on all of those work wonders for physical and mental aspects.

A drill to improve edge control, speed and confidence...take long SLOW strides lifting the back leg high as you make a curving arc zig zag down the ice. Back leg is lifted rather high with a good amount of knee bend, kinda fig skater-ish. body leaned forward of down skate, back leg lifted high w/ slight knee bend. After a long half circle swing that back lifted leg around to front in a cross over and repeat. Object is to go slow and again, take you out of your comfort zone, pushing you abilities in balance and control.

Last edited by MikeD: 09-17-2006 at 03:22 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 06:11 PM
mac-sniper

at this point in time, whats the point of being reallie fast? the guys you're playing with are probably faster naturally. you should work on yoru skating i.e. edges, stopping, cutbacks, crossovers and backward skating...you can burn ppl like that too and that'll help your speed and your all around game in the long run. good skating equates to good shooting as well.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
at this point in time, whats the point of being reallie fast? the guys you're playing with are probably faster naturally. you should work on yoru skating i.e. edges, stopping, cutbacks, crossovers and backward skating...you can burn ppl like that too and that'll help your speed and your all around game in the long run. good skating equates to good shooting as well.
OK well how do I do that? I don't just want to improve on straight out speed. I would like to improve on those type of agility things also. I just don't really know what to work on to be able to edges and cutbacks etc. Have any ideas?

Old
09-17-2006, 07:58 PM
QBOSS

Agility ladders will improve your agility.

For general lower limb speed, try running quickly down hill...overstriding...

Now if you really want to develop some power in your legs, try hill sprints...not hill jogs but hill sprints..

QBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
mac-sniper

skate as much as you can!!! know anyone that works at the rink? call them and see if they have rentals...if they dont tell them u got a new stick or new skates and u wanna try them out before a big game..even if it costs u like 5 bucks. then go mess around. this helps SO incredibly much. or if you play pickup tell yourself "ok im going to work on my crossovers to the right no matter how uncumortable it is". ponds by your house, public rinks? last year we were hopping the fence at our outdoor rink and skating there til 3am. im a rink rat, i work at the arena...i can never get off the ice.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 03:44 PM
MikeD

the new post "good site" has a great video demontration of the one skate drill i suggested. Top row left corner. takes you out of your comfort zone, improving edge control and balance!

Old
09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-sniper View Post
skate as much as you can!!! know anyone that works at the rink? call them and see if they have rentals...if they dont tell them u got a new stick or new skates and u wanna try them out before a big game..even if it costs u like 5 bucks. then go mess around. this helps SO incredibly much. or if you play pickup tell yourself "ok im going to work on my crossovers to the right no matter how uncumortable it is". ponds by your house, public rinks? last year we were hopping the fence at our outdoor rink and skating there til 3am. im a rink rat, i work at the arena...i can never get off the ice.
I wish I could but I live in BC so no outdoor rinks and its really hard to find ice. I hit up dropin whenever I have the day off school

Old
09-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Transported Upstater

Pretend a hungry Keith Tkachuk is pursuing you.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transported Upstater View Post
Pretend a hungry Keith Tkachuk is pursuing you.
but a hungry Tkachuk is a slow Tkachuk

Old
09-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Husky

stretch out your body for 10-15 minutes every morning. like vigourously. if you do it consistently for a while you will add 5-10% to your speed.

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Venom_17

Any kind of skating with resistance will be helpful for you.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
stretch out your body for 10-15 minutes every morning. like vigourously. if you do it consistently for a while you will add 5-10% to your speed.
It's interesting you say that. I was actually thinking that stretching the legs could help. Just wondering where you heard about this because besides thinking of it on my own i have never heard anyone else suggest it.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
MikeD

stretching doesnt just serve the muscles. The FACIA, which is a semi-clear white film covering over the muscle groups, can also get kinked and knoted. Made up of small fluid filled tubes, it contributes to fast nerve impulse and proprioception(commonly refered to as muscle memory)

if you rest your hand on a table fingers extended and relaxed you can get a demonstration of how facia affects the body. With the free hand gently pull on the index finger but NOT so much that the hand moves. You should be able to feel that tug all the way to your shoulder. Prioprioception is also responsible for your ability to make a fist with each hand but extend the index finger in a point. Reach around behind your back and touch your finger tips together. With out seeing them you can easily touch tip to tip on the first try. Same with touching a finger tip to your nose with your eyes closed.

Stretching helsp unkink and align the fluid filled tubes of the facia bring your bodies communications to full speed. Take your skates outside of your comfort zone such as skating teh circles with FAST short cross-evers and many of the others shown at the perfectskater web site and you will see gradual and dramatic improvements.

Old
09-19-2006, 05:41 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Is there anything I can do to get like Marian Gaborik blazing down the ice full speed with the puck? or am I just dreaming?
I recently had a hockey instructor who said, "If you don't fall down occasionally then you're not working hard enough." Just keep in mind that asphalt is a lot less forgiving than ice -- you fall and you might leave some skin behind, and you can't do "stop on a dime" hockey stops on roller blades. So if you're looking to just improve your speed and agility for ice hockey then plyometrics, pilates, sprints and squats might be the better option. If you're trying to improve your balance and coordination then use the roller blades but you don't need to do it at top speed. If you're trying to be the best roller hockey player then there's some pretty good advice here in this thread.

Just my two cents.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Husky

I was injured last year for about a month and had to stretch out in order to work the muscle back into shape. I came back to the ice in good shape, despite being off the ice for a while and have kept stretching since. I am now at least 10% faster than i was that year, and that's no coincidence. My athletic therapist reccomended that i continue stretching to keep my back in gear, but now i keep stretching to keep myself in gear. It really works.

Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
stick9

Changing the radius and hollow of your blades will help. I went from a 9" radius to an 11 and I noticed a difference. Also, a shallower hollow will make you glide easier, resulting in more speed.

You can take it a step further and use longer steel on your skates, but that will require new holders and steel. None of this should be used to subsitute on or off ice workouts.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 10:31 PM
MC64

Without roller blades:
Find an outdoor staircase with about 100 stairs and sprint up, make sure to use each stair. Walk down to recover.
For foot speed try side steps, alternating side every 20 stairs.
Running stairs is almost the same mechanics as skating.
try this for 1/2 hour 4-5 times/week
good luck

MC64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Nike/Bauer has a cool workout thing on the website. It may help you to find some workouts.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 09:01 PM
codycanuck24

hey big im registered

codycanuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Jet
Tony P-ver

vCash: 50
I find if you move your legs back and forth faster, you go faster

Really though... take a power skating course and do squats.