HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shootouts or more O.T.

Old
11-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Makel

vCash: 500
Shootouts or more O.T.

Ok well we just lost to tampa bay in a S.O. and im very frustated. that could have been one of our best games we out played them for about 50 minutes or so and yet we get 1 point and tampa gets 2. So that is why im starting this thread. What would you guys think about having a full 5-5 O.T. period instead of a shootout and if no goal than go back to boring ol' ties. there wouldnt be many if it was a full 20 mins. but after that loss tonight i think its kind of dumb. what if we need that 1 extra point in game 82 to make the playoffs and we cant get it because of a shootout. I know i'd b pissed and feel ripped off all summer long. and to compinsate to the players because you know theyre tired and theyre playing an extra period, maybe drop it from 82 games to idk 72. regardless of that reasonsing ive always thought the seasons been too long. Whats everyone think? yes no notsure...

Id like to see O.T. sure when u win in shootout its exciting but so is winning in overtime.

Makel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:32 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Do without the S.O., I feel that teams don't push themselves to obtain that extra point in the OT period because they know they have that GUARANTEE of a decision coming shortly, in a much more convenient fashion. Where's the incentive, the motivation in that? Teams tend to "play out" the over time period, as if it is the normal liason to the S.O. Ending in a S.O. should not be the goal, yet in some instances it will be. E.G.: "Let's get this game to the SO so we can some how pull out two undeserved points." Yeah it's exciting, but it has lost some of its luster and marketibility, it's no longer the "new thing" in the NHL. And quite frankly, it is becoming predictable.

With that said, the 4-on-4 scheme for the overtime period works, so right off the bat keep that. It opens up even more space, epitomizing how the League bosses apparently want to structure the game. It pleases to the eye and the casual fan, and adds just as much excitement as the shootout does. Who doesn't appreciate end-to-end odd man rushes, back and forth essentially resulting in each other (the odd-man rushes that is)?

My proposition is this: Why not add 3 minutes to the O.T., with no ensuing S.O.?

If the players want 2 points instead of 1, they'll have to work for it (with a few added minutes at their disposal) instead of "shooting freebies," so the speak, which has often been maligned with labels such as "cheap" or "the easy way out." If after 8 minutes neither team has yet to score, both will be awarded a point.

Whatever time was saved by the deletion of the S.O. will automatically be applied to the extra O.T. minutes. So it balances itself out in that case, need be any qualms.

Last edited by BelovedIsles: 11-18-2006 at 04:46 AM. Reason: kjykgylouoghj
BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Hunter07

Send a message via AIM to Hunter07
Cant do fullout OTs. It would tire the players out. Imagine having a few Ducks 03-04 playoff like games 4 5 times a year. Players would just get way too tired and its too much. I personally like the shootout, I think the problem is you get a point for an OT loss. Thats what should be changed, the point system not a S.O.

I think maybe as some other people said maybe a 10 min 5 on 5 ot then a shootout. But once again its asking a lot for players to play that extra time, even though it doesnt seem like it.

Hunter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:01 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter07 View Post
Cant do fullout OTs. It would tire the players out. Imagine having a few Ducks 03-04 playoff like games 4 5 times a year. Players would just get way too tired and its too much. I personally like the shootout, I think the problem is you get a point for an OT loss. Thats what should be changed, the point system not a S.O.

I think maybe as some other people said maybe a 10 min 5 on 5 ot then a shootout. But once again its asking a lot for players to play that extra time, even though it doesnt seem like it.
I agree 100%. A full 20 minute 5 on 5 overtime isn't fair to the players because it's too taxing.

I think that the shootout will only be gimmicky until coaches and GMs realize that they must legitimately prepare for it and build their teams around it to some extent (a player like Jussi Jokinen's value skyrockets because of the shootout, for example.)

In any case, eliminate the point for an OT loss.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
The system works, it's not changing, so we should all stop *****ing about it.

Whether we agree with it or don't, and I don't mind it, it WON'T go anywhere, so the suggestions of change need to stop.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Witter

the way i see it is
play the game if theres a tie go to ot and than the shootout, winner gets 1, loser gets 0

Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

The system works If anything, change the point scheme so that you get 3 points for a win in regulation or overtime, 2 points for an overtime shootout victory and one point for an overtime loss or shootout victory,

Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 05:51 PM
GilliesGirlie

I like the shootout!

I love it when the Isles win it!

Call me crazy, I find the shootout exciting, sure it feels "cheap" to win it that way, but who gives a flying youknowwhat?

A win is a win!!

Kristie

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:18 PM
JKP

I also agree on the players tiring if you played more than 5m of OT. I like 4-on-4 and I don't mind the gimmick SO, I think it's exciting. The current system doesn't bother me at all.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Darth Bangkok

I'd like to see the shootout go bye bye in favor of some sort of OT scheme and probably the three-point game system- so that every game is worth the same in the standings even if it doesn't go into OT.

Sorry, but I thought the shootout last night was extremely boring.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:08 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth bangkok View Post
I'd like to see the shootout go bye bye in favor of some sort of OT scheme and probably the three-point game system- so that every game is worth the same in the standings even if it doesn't go into OT.

Sorry, but I thought the shootout last night was extremely boring.

well, last nights did suck!

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote