HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Neil: Captain Material?

View Poll Results: Chris Neil: Captain Material?
Yes 36 40.00%
No 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-18-2006, 04:45 AM
SenatorElect*

vCash: 500
Chris Neil: Captain Material?

Yes or no? I say yes, the idea is at least worth entertaining.

SenatorElect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Bruwinz37

Outsider's opinion here, but Chris Neil is the exact type of player the Bruins need. His hustle, effort and physical presence is now something other teams need to gameplan for. He has killed the Bruins recently and I can only hope he finds his way to the trade block.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

If he's vocal in the dressing room, I think Ottawa should consider the enforcer for captain.
I vote Yes!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Outsider's opinion here, but Chris Neil is the exact type of player the Bruins need. His hustle, effort and physical presence is now something other teams need to gameplan for. He has killed the Bruins recently and I can only hope he finds his way to the trade block.
He hasn't killed them enough. I can't remember the last time the Sens beat the Bruins.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:40 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
As much as I like Chris Neil I dont think so. A leader also needs to lead by example, and he just doesn't have the skill level, or receive the type of ice-time you want your captain to have. A captain is the type of player you want on the ice with 30 seconds to go. I can't imagine Neil being that type of player. He also has a tendency to take stupid penalties.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Yes. Just because he doesn't put up the all-star points doesn't mean he doesn't have the right stuff. He puts in 100% every game, sacrifices himself for the team, and defends his teammates every time. He's a leader on and off the ice; never turning down an interview request, a chance to support local charities, nor talk with fans. He's a frequent visitor to CHEO and, like Redden, brings the sick children to games.

Chris is a character guy whose contributions to the team is often overlooked. Just because he's not a 50-point winger, doesn't mean he can't be a leader. He supports his team 100% every game, and even if we're down 10-1 he's out there still trying to motivate the team & never backs down.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
As much as I like Chris Neil I dont think so. A leader also needs to lead by example, and he just doesn't have the skill level, or receive the type of ice-time you want your captain to have. A captain is the type of player you want on the ice with 30 seconds to go. I can't imagine Neil being that type of player. He also has a tendency to take stupid penalties.
Although a lot of the team right now has been taking stupid penalties.

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:41 AM
jasonjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCup View Post
Although a lot of the team right now has been taking stupid penalties.
Chis Neil is no Rod Brind'Amour, just a very dependable hard working hockey player. Neil doesn't have the right stuff. I vote no!

jasonjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:01 PM
The Fuhr*

I voted yes. He is one of the hardest workers on the team and his skill is developing. He will pot 25 one of these seasons. He stands up for his teammates and I will assume hes one of the best guys in the dressing room.

A hard working player that gives his all every shift and has the respect of his teammates can be captain, it does not need to be your most skilled guy. Neil is a perfect example of someone you can have as a leader. With that being said I would rather have Fisher as the Captain after Alfie or Patrick Eaves( though he needs more expierence)

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Absolutely. Just not right now. In a few years yep. He's one of those players who matures into a solid leader/player. I know he's a very vocal guy in the dressing room and his work ethic is something a lot of our players should look to pick up.

Comparing him to Brind'Amour makes no sense, as he has a cup and around 10 years more experience. If it were the other way around you wouldn't be saying that.

Sting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 01:08 PM
jasonjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
Absolutely. Just not right now. In a few years yep. He's one of those players who matures into a solid leader/player. I know he's a very vocal guy in the dressing room and his work ethic is something a lot of our players should look to pick up.

Comparing him to Brind'Amour makes no sense, as he has a cup and around 10 years more experience. If it were the other way around you wouldn't be saying that.
I understand where you are coming from, there is an experience deficit in the comparison, but I guess what I was trying to say was " where is the Rod Brind'Amour type leader on the Senator's team?"----or for that matter a Dave Andrychuk(sp) type leader like Tampa had, old and slow as he was near the end of his career----he led Tampa to a Stanley Cup, which is more than I can say about the present team with their 3 overpaid superstars.

Old
11-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjim View Post
I understand where you are coming from, there is an experience deficit in the comparison, but I guess what I was trying to say was " where is the Rod Brind'Amour type leader on the Senator's team?"----or for that matter a Dave Andrychuk(sp) type leader like Tampa had, old and slow as he was near the end of his career----he led Tampa to a Stanley Cup, which is more than I can say about the present team with their 3 overpaid superstars.
We lack true veteran leadership for sure.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 01:20 PM
bert

This message board is going insane.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Sens Rule

Personally right now I would consider Neil to be in the running for MVP of the team so far. The fact you can say that is a good reflection on Neil and a poor one on the team becuse Neil should not be one of the MVPs on a team as talented as the Sens. Neil has been the best Senator on the ice in quite a few games this season, including a couple he didn't get a point in.

I don't think Neil should be the Captain now or in the near future but is he Captain Material? They type of player that could be a Captain. I say yes. I would say Kelly, Fisher and Eaves could also be future Captains of an NHL team and Spezza could as well because of his sheer talent.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 01:38 PM
jasonjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
I thought that quite awhile ago, and I just joined the asylum tenants in November 2006----how you have endured it for several years is a testament to your compassion for your fellow human beings, or a hidden desire to be constantly punished.

Old
11-18-2006, 01:47 PM
freakin

Forget Captain, put Neil up for saint-hood.

the patron saint of giving 100 percent while your teammates give 60.

Last edited by freakin: 11-18-2006 at 02:44 PM.
freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
armani
Guy Likes

I voted yes, but now is not the right time. I think he will be a better leader than Buchberger and his drive/determination reminds me of one Randy Cunneyworth.

Supposedly, Phillips is a vocal guy in the locker room and I liked his interview before the game last night. He seems poised and sounds very confident - a stark contrast to the shy, young Phillips whose second word in every sentence was "you know" during his interviews even five years ago. Alfie is still the captain, but if a change was to be made, my vote will go towards Phillips for the next captain.

BTW, where are the Volchenkov haters now?

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:05 PM
gbl1p

Ever since I called Neil a block of cheese in a "is he powerforward" thread last year when he was hot at the start I've been eating crow. And I love the taste. Not that I ever thought Neil was worthless, in fact I have always thought highly of him. Just never thought he would make it this far, and at this rate I guess anything is possible. Don't quite see him as a captain certainly in the foreseeable future... but you gotta love where he could go with his game.

gbl1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:16 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

You just gotta love his game lately, he is truly an NHL veteran now. Domi and Cherry both cant help but love this guy cause he just does it all right. What a great hockey player he has been for us this year. Its almost, almost, like any goals are bonus he is still a real effective, necessary role in our success.

How about we first thikn of giving him an 'A' some day. With player movement now as it is, could happen sooner than we think.

The radio guys were comparing him to Randy Mackay. I was always a fan of Randay Mackay, like madden and langenbrunner a prototypical Devil. I never thought Neil could be considered that good. But he is getting real close. Mackay was an 'A' i think wasnt he?

EDIT: didnt mean to compare neil to madden or langenbrunner, just Mckay

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:48 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Please save your smart *** comments to yourself. There is nothing wrong with this poll. It simply asks if Neil is captain material and look at the response it generated on the positive side of things.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Preeat

Send a message via MSN to Preeat
If he can continue developing offensively and keep that grit and tenacity in his game then of course he's captain material. He'd have what it takes to lead a team.

Preeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
ISensFanI

Neil definatly is captian material, he gives it his all, all game he is just a feirce competior driven by sheer determination. If you say he doesnt have the skill, did you see his dangle in the game vs buffalo tonight? He actually has pretty good hands. He is captian material but not now.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:56 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I don't think he's Captain material just as I don't think Domi or Tucker are Captain material either.

That doesn't mean he isn't useful, or even vital right now.

Neil has a temper which gets him in trouble at times and I think we'd be better off making sure he stays effective at what he does and plays with that edge.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 04:54 AM
sensens

Neil's effort and hard work are to be commended, but captaincy is another issue. You can be an important team leader and inspirational player without wearing a letter, and if I'm giving out letters based on effort and leading by example, Fisher still gets the nod in my books. That being said, Neil is demonstrating that his role on the team goes well beyond agitating - he's been very impressive this year and proving to be well worth the contract investment that Muckler made in the off-season.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I don't think he's Captain material just as I don't think Domi or Tucker are Captain material either.

That doesn't mean he isn't useful, or even vital right now.

Neil has a temper which gets him in trouble at times and I think we'd be better off making sure he stays effective at what he does and plays with that edge.
AgreedI voted no as well, for many of these reasons as NyQuil has stated. You don't want to change Neil's role too much. Neil has done a remarkable job of improving his game over the years. Let him focus on that. He's still developing as a scoring threat. Let him focus on that part of his game.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote