HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/18/06 15 Years On A Dead Man's Chest - Islanders Vs. Panthers

Old
11-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Yeah, Dunham is playing great and robbed Pelts of his 2nd goal. Here is another one of those games where we are doing a lot of things right but are still trailing going into the 3rd period. It's funny how our PP is around the top in the League yet it looks so sloppy. We might be lucky that we get so few chances.

We need to comeback and win this game. We need back-to-back wins. Because the win one, lose five cycle isn't fun.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:26 PM
FinallyWeissIsGone
Formerly Akgoalie7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FinallyWeissIsGone
did the Isles radio announcer just say Jay-Bo is a "tall (big) and lanky" defenseman?

Main Entry: lanky
Pronunciation: 'la[ng]-kE
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): lank·i·er; -est
: ungracefully tall and thin

FinallyWeissIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:47 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Dunham is killing us out there.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
HockeySS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobakecookies View Post
I have a feeling that we lose this game.
I agree with you.

3-1 Isles

HockeySS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:48 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

3-1.

Another great game played and ruined by our inability to pot the puck.

Old
11-18-2006, 08:51 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Whether or not they win this game, if they keep putting pressure on teams like they have been since Washington, they're going to crack through and start winning. It sounds like they played very well, again, but like Kolzig, Dunham has been the big factor - but, there is still time to score twice. So, we can't lose hope, yet.

.. now we can.

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
HockeySS19

Oops, make that 4-1.

You can put pressure on the other team all you want, but if you can't finish it off and put the puck in the net, you won't score. You don't score and you don't win. Play hard and take a lot of shots - great, but don't get the puck in the net - not great. Though I do realize Dunham played very well tonight.

Old
11-18-2006, 08:54 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Does God just hate us? This was the exact same game as the Washington game.

Why can't somebody give us a break. If not the refs, a hot goalie. Someone up there just really hates us.

Old
11-18-2006, 08:58 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySS19 View Post
Oops, make that 4-1.

You can put pressure on the other team all you want, but if you can't finish it off and put the puck in the net, you won't score. You don't score and you don't win. Play hard and take a lot of shots - great, but don't get the puck in the net - not great.
I know, I thought about going back and editing that again, but I already did once to complain about the empty-net. At that point, I couldn't have cared less if I ignored the fact that, no, you can't score if you can't finish. You figure they'll get better at it with all the shots that they're bringing, but, it's the Panthers.

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:04 PM
HockeySS19

I couldn't watch the game tonight so I don't know where they were aiming their shots, but if they shoot the puck at the goalie then they can't score often either. I'm not saying they shot the puck at the goalie, though. Tonight it sounded like Dunham made some good saves when we could have had some goals, so I don't know where we shot the puck, but I also know that we don't really have any snipers to pick a corner or get the quick shot off or something.

Old
11-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Jeez, I know it's just one game but these are the kinds of signs that let you know it isn't your year.

We pretty much dominated much of the game and yet the score shows that we got destroyed. We have like five good shifts in a row, with several great chances to score, then they just come down once and score... quite amusing. I really can't complain about tonight's effort. We couldn't score goals but you gotta give it to Dunham. Oh well.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Meh.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
It's very unfortunate, but the team really doesn't have enough offensively minded players that have good finish. You can say it was unlucky but this has been happening a lot lately, almost making the Montreal game look like a fluke. If anything, I would say that Gelinas has to go. He really does have hands of stone and while he's not a defensive liability, we just need an offensive player in his place, can't argue that we don't have enough vet leadership without him cause we do.

Also Bryan Allen didn't have a very good game while Ville Peltonen certainly did, whole 4th line in fact, and he nearly had 2 goals tonight, but glad to see him get his first. I don't know what it is, but the team needs some serious work on finishing shots. This is reminiscient of why we can't win shootouts, they need at least one more offensively minded player (sniper, not playmaker) who can give them another dimension. I know that might technically be Bertuzzi but they can't wait on him, the playoffs are fast slipping away though it seems early, we're dropping to being tied for 13th in the East now. Something's gotta be done, they either start scoring or at least one player has to be moved. If they lose to Boston I hope that something is finally done, Martin can't sit on this forever.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:18 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanthemarsVolta View Post
Does God just hate us? This was the exact same game as the Washington game.

Why can't somebody give us a break. If not the refs, a hot goalie. Someone up there just really hates us.
a team with no finishers will make an average goalie look great. dunham had a very good game but many of the 43 saves were not difficult at all.

bo had a fair game, van ryn a pretty poor game. re: olli - for those watching on tv, the play right before the stoppage at 2:45 of the 2nd just epitomizes my problem with him; he came back to get the puck behind belfour and, with time, he turned his back on the play, gave up body position on the puck and allowed a forechecker to swoop in and take the puck uncontested. that led to about 10-15 seconds of pressure in our end but it could have been worse. olli had a weak game for a captain. also, i think we're going to see weiss sit for a few games - he looked ok skating in the clear but he could not deal with contact. there were a few instances when he was clearly hurting and struggled just to get back to his feet. and what happened to newy? he was getting decent time in the 1st but that fell off considerably it seemed.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:20 AM
FlaPanthers7

Look at another positive - we only had 1 penalty this game!!!

You know something is in the air when you get almost 50 shots and score only 1 goal. Dunham stole this game for the Isles and he was completely in the zone tonight - nothing you can do about that.

Bryan Allen is not impressing me, not at all this season. I'm glad Martin put Mezei next to Bouwmeester and I wouldn't be surprised to see Allen on the 3rd pairing in the future. Every time I watch him it seems he makes a mistake that results in a goal or a good scoring chance.

Losing Bert, a pure finisher and excellent puck-controller, is really taking its toll. Besides Olli, no one is consistently scoring on this team on ouor scoring lines. Niewy hasn't been the same since injury, Horton is streaky, Stumpel and Olesz have been invisible, and Roberts is playing tough, gritty hockey but isn't scoring either. I just don't know what the answer is for this team anymore.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:43 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post

Losing Bert, a pure finisher and excellent puck-controller, is really taking its toll. Besides Olli, no one is consistently scoring on this team on ouor scoring lines. Niewy hasn't been the same since injury, Horton is streaky, Stumpel and Olesz have been invisible, and Roberts is playing tough, gritty hockey but isn't scoring either. I just don't know what the answer is for this team anymore.

As much as I hate to say it, a trade could very well be the answer. We have plenty of character guys and can afford to move someone for at least a decent scorer.

Several teams are tanking right now (and we're slouching ever so closely ourselves) and the opportunity is ripe to acquire someone. Philly and Phoenix come to mind as suitors Martin should explore aggressively.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns View Post
As much as I hate to say it, a trade could very well be the answer. We have plenty of character guys and can afford to move someone for at least a decent scorer.

Several teams are tanking right now (and we're slouching ever so closely ourselves) and the opportunity is ripe to acquire someone. Philly and Phoenix come to mind as suitors Martin should explore aggressively.
I think Philly's actually been winning more than losing since ditching Hitchcock and Clarke. At least, the past week both times I noticed their scores they'd won.

11-19-2006, 11:11 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Well, atleast we get another high pick. On the downside, we can't draft.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
I think Philly's actually been winning more than losing since ditching Hitchcock and Clarke. At least, the past week both times I noticed their scores they'd won.
They lost to San Jose 6-1 last night.

Old
11-19-2006, 11:35 AM
thebodyczech

The acquisition of a few purely offensive-minded forwards would go a long way. The years of Bertuzzi or Roberts being leading scorers are over. The power-forward in the "New NHL" has been clearly redefined; these new powerforwards certainly use size to their advantage, but not to hit or make gritty plays; they do so to keep possession of the puck, and to create better scoring opportunities. Look at Thornton, Michalek, Hossa, Lecavalier, Ovechkin and even our own Nathan Horton. These are the "New Power Forwards" in my view. In other words: It seems like the scales have shifted. The power forwards of yesterday are essentially the useless slow goons of today.

My proposed solution: pure-goal scorers and a few of these big guys. That means keeping Horton, Jokinen and Olesz. Roberts and Bertuzzi are useless. Gaborik, Demitra, Havlat, Svatos, Briere, Afinogenov, Drury are in. Of course a "new power-forward" wouldn't hurt either.

But the take-home message is this: formerly power-forwards were known for aggressive physical play and scoring ability. Those days are over. The new power-forwards are merely finesse players with size--and, no less important, they know how to use that size.

thebodyczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebodyczech View Post
The acquisition of a few purely offensive-minded forwards would go a long way. The years of Bertuzzi or Roberts being leading scorers are over. The power-forward in the "New NHL" has been clearly redefined; these new powerforwards certainly use size to their advantage, but not to hit or make gritty plays; they do so to keep possession of the puck, and to create better scoring opportunities. Look at Thornton, Michalek, Hossa, Lecavalier, Ovechkin and even our own Nathan Horton. These are the "New Power Forwards" in my view. In other words: It seems like the scales have shifted. The power forwards of yesterday are essentially the useless slow goons of today.

My proposed solution: pure-goal scorers and a few of these big guys. That means keeping Horton, Jokinen and Olesz. Roberts and Bertuzzi are useless. Gaborik, Demitra, Havlat, Svatos, Briere, Afinogenov, Drury are in. Of course a "new power-forward" wouldn't hurt either.

But the take-home message is this: formerly power-forwards were known for aggressive physical play and scoring ability. Those days are over. The new power-forwards are merely finesse players with size--and, no less important, they know how to use that size.
I agree. We need much better offense. Jokinen is a great player (Although IMO he really needs to step up), but i don't think he can carry a team like Gabby, Havlat, Hossa etc.

Olesz and Horton are gonna be really important in the future. Horton if you will is a "new powerfoward" and down the line will be great. Olesz is extremely talented, but Martin doesn't give him enough ice time.
That is why im still happy with the Frolik pick. He may bust, but atleast for once we took a risk on a guy who could be an offensive wizard. We are not gonna go the the playoffs if we rely on Gelinas, Roberts, Niewy, Stumpel, Peltonen.

Havlat would of helped us so much more than Bertuzzi. Havlat is scary on his day, and is exactly what we don't have. A purely offensive star who can take over a game for us.

I might start to keep a much closer look at Jakub Voracek now. Looks like we may indeed have a shot at him.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:01 PM
george63

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I agree. We need much better offense. Jokinen is a great player (Although IMO he really needs to step up), but i don't think he can carry a team like Gabby, Havlat, Hossa etc.

Olesz and Horton are gonna be really important in the future. Horton if you will is a "new powerfoward" and down the line will be great. Olesz is extremely talented, but Martin doesn't give him enough ice time.Martin sent Rusty to Rochester, one week!!!
That is why im still happy with the Frolik pick. He may bust, but atleast for once we took a risk on a guy who could be an offensive wizard. We are not gonna go the the playoffs if we rely on Gelinas, Roberts, Niewy, Stumpel, Peltonen.

Havlat would of helped us so much more than Bertuzzi. Havlat is scary on his day, and is exactly what we don't have. A purely offensive star who can take over a game for us.

I might start to keep a much closer look at Jakub Voracek now. Looks like we may indeed have a shot at him.

george63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:03 PM
george63

Martin sent Rusty to Rochester, one week!!!

george63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I think just looking at this board nowadays tells you how sick and tired people are at this team. So many posters dont bother to write here anymore at all or nearly as often as they used to. Because our team is the same story year in year out. Nothing is ever done to take this team in a new direction other than fire coaches / gm's once in a while. It feels like we do more coaching changes than player changes. This team clearly isnt fit for the new NHL. It's time to clean house while we still can. Trading Luongo was our biggest mistake now were gonna have to suffer with Auld and medicore goaltending for years to come. I say keep Weiss, Bouwmeester, Jokinen and Horton the rest can go.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:31 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by george63 View Post
Martin sent Rusty to Rochester, one week!!!
What?

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote