HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 11/18/06 15 Years On A Dead Man's Chest - Islanders Vs. Panthers

Old
11-19-2006, 10:01 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherBlood6 View Post
one of the biggest mistakes this organization has always made was to give young players icetime instead of letting them earn it. shvidki, huselius, hagman, bouwmeester, weiss, horton...the list could go on forever. all those guys were handed a spot on the roster at a young age without knowing how much work they really need to put in and be successful at this level. successful teams like the red wings, avalanche, etc. make their kids earn their way on the roster....regardless of who it is. zetterberg to jason williams all had to do it.
great post pb6. i would actually take it a step further and say that this organization has ruined players by putting them in roles they are not ready for. why? desperation, perhaps? organizations with depth throughout are not usually in the position of being forced to bring a kid up to the show with the kind of expectations some of our kids have had placed on them. add to that the fact that these kids are brought up to a team in turmoil, without an identity. and they're expected to produce more than they had at the previous level? with a weaker team around them and poor morale? washington, pittsburgh and atlanta have been anomolies in a sense as they've drafted prodigious talent the past few years, confident teenagers ready to step into the spotlight at 18 years old and dominate. most of the league has not been that lucky. i watched a bit of the detroit/edmonton game last night and here was a trio of kids who were playing in the ahl last year out there dominating the oil. my guess is that folks in detroit knew their names but because of the depth there, they were not expected to step in and score 20-30 goals each. somehow, detroit continues to bring along these types of kids quietly and consistently so the wings never seem to miss a beat. then again, we're talking about a quality organization.

as for the big picture, how about backing off all the talk of panic and major trades and just have martin step down as coach to focus on the GM role. look to the next few years. allow kingston or another guy in the organization to run the team for the rest of the year and then try to find someone who's a good fit for the talent (whatever that may be) over the summer. if martin's gonna be our guy, let him be our guy. we need some consistency around here. maybe it's best he step back and worry about building the talent level in this organization at this point.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:04 PM
PanthersRule96

Olesz has been used in a defensive role more than anything. Sure he's gotten some great chances and just hasn't been able to finish but he never sees powerplay minutes. In the preseason he saw powerplay time and scored the last two years for us. He's a great puckhandler and is smart with the puck. He's not slow, someone said he was too slow to make decisions, sure he wait an extra second, but with the more experience he gets, the more he'll learn that he needs to speed up his decision making by a half a second. Great offensive players show patience with the puck. Olesz shows too much sometimes and not enough other times but he has the moves, the strength, and the speed to be a fantastic offensive player. He's so strong and smooth that he doesn't look like he's flying out there but he is a very very strong and fast skater.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:27 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Rusty's definitely my favorite player on the team, and just seeing him out on the ice brings a smile to my face, because I really enjoy watching him. So, if this move helps him, I'm all for it. He's a player that this team needs, and will need at his potential. I'm pretty sad to see him get sent down, though. I just bought tickets for our road trip last night (we're driving to Buffalo and Boston, and maybe Toronto in December for those three games) .. on the glass, in Buffalo. And now I'm broke. If Olesz isn't in that game, I'll be devastated.. but if he comes back and lights it up, especially in that game, or one of those games..

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:18 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCzeSniper96 View Post
Olesz has been used in a defensive role more than anything. Sure he's gotten some great chances and just hasn't been able to finish but he never sees powerplay minutes. In the preseason he saw powerplay time and scored the last two years for us. He's a great puckhandler and is smart with the puck. He's not slow, someone said he was too slow to make decisions, sure he wait an extra second, but with the more experience he gets, the more he'll learn that he needs to speed up his decision making by a half a second. Great offensive players show patience with the puck. Olesz shows too much sometimes and not enough other times but he has the moves, the strength, and the speed to be a fantastic offensive player. He's so strong and smooth that he doesn't look like he's flying out there but he is a very very strong and fast skater.

no one is doubting olesz' physical ability - he's quick, great hands, strong lower body, good speed, agile and a smart two-way player. i didn't mean he was slow skating wise - he's slow making decisions. there is a huge difference between "showing patience" and being indecisive. jason spezza and joe thornton show patience - rostislav olesz is indecisive. the two-on-one i reffered to earlier is just one example of that.

you say he hasn't gotten any powerplay time - has he earned it? you don't just give it to him because he has fancy footwork and quick hands, if that were the case, denis shvidki would be on our #1 unit. you give it to him because he's earned the right to be there. with 1 goal in 20 games, he definatley hasn't.

i think the hope is to send olesz down, and do just what you want them to do up here. play him in about all the offensive situations you can and see what happens. most of the time a kid with olesz' skill set will find success against the players down there and the game will slow down a bit for them. if that happens, you call him back up and hope the success translates at this level and THAT is when you begin to give him powerplay time and important offensive minutes.

PantherBlood6* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Btw, before this thread goes the way of the do-do, did anyone get the thread title reference?

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Btw, before this thread goes the way of the do-do, did anyone get the thread title reference?
I didn't even think about it, but now that I do...are you suggesting Wang might kill off Dipietro to avoid paying him all that money?

11-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

lmao no no, you know the old pirate song 15 men on a dead man's chest, also where the title of the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean movie comes from. 15 Years = Dipietro. Pirates, Islanders, I don't know I thought it was somewhat clever

Old
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
I assumed it had something to do with the "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum," part of the song, indicating that Panthers fans would need a good drink or two while watching the game.
Well I guess it's open to interpretation, but to each his own. I seem to get some good ones out of the Isles so far, too bad the Panthers can't. If I were to give it a subtitle now, it would be: Dunham In (Done 'em In).