HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington - Vancouver Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Washington - Vancouver Proposal

As a Canuck fan, I would propose:

To Washington: Brent Sopel, R J Umberger, Mike Keane

To Vancouver: Jamar Jagr, Vancouver's choice of one of Washington's 1st round draft picks over the next 3 junior drafts, $25 million in cash.

Vancouver takes Jagr & his remaining long term $11 million a year contract contract off Washington's hands & gives Washington some qualiy, cheap players & a prospect in the 1st round by Vancouver in return, but Vancouver also gets a big lump sum of cash to go against Jarg's salary plus they get a draft pick that likely is a top 5 draft pick this year & a chance at Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby in a couple of years.

Vancouver's lineup would then be:

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
D Sedin - H Sedin - King
Cooke - Linden - Jagr
Arvedson - Chubarov - Ruutu

That would give the Canucks four pretty potent lines with a star player like Jagr coming at you on the 3rd line along with the steadyness of Linden & the tenaciousness of Cooke. Thoughts?

Old
11-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Jagr on the 3rd line?

If Jagr comes to Vancouver, I think half the city will puke.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:22 PM
fogg*

I believe the NHL has a rule about the maximum amount of cash used in a trade in order to make sure teams don't 'sell' players. I'd imagine $25 million is above the limit

Old
11-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
*shakes head, reads again*

Unless Jagr was playing for say 2-3 million dollars a year, we can't afford him. We have several key RFA's to resign next year, and an addition like Jagr would completely screw up our salary structure.

Besides, Brian Burke would probably end up running Jagr out of town anyway. Although, the media circus that ensues afterwards might be worth the salary.

And don't forget, the "hair" factor in this trade is balanced. We trade Sopel's mullet for Jagr's. (Or has he cut it off? I can't remember.) Unless Jagr grows it back, it's NO DEAL!

Old
11-25-2003, 08:24 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner
Jagr on the 3rd line?

If Jagr comes to Vancouver, I think half the city will puke.
Actually I would look at those lines as 1(a), 1(b) & 1(c) plus a checking/shutdown line.

Actually I was at the draft where Jagr almost did come to Vancouver. We took Nedved instead.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

I think what Hi-wayman meant with his $25 million figure was the amount of Jagr's contract Washington picks up.

I would do that deal without hesitation, if I was GMGM. Wouldn't do it from a Canucks PoV.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:28 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman

To Vancouver: Jamar Jagr, Vancouver's choice of one of Washington's 1st round draft picks over the next 3 junior drafts, $25 million in cash.

Vancouver takes Jagr & his remaining long term $11 million a year contract contract off Washington's hands & gives Washington some qualiy, cheap players & a prospect in the 1st round by Vancouver in return, but Vancouver also gets a big lump sum of cash to go against Jarg's salary plus they get a draft pick that likely is a top 5 draft pick this year & a chance at Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby in a couple of years.

D Sedin - H Sedin - King
Cooke - Linden - Jagr

That would give the Canucks four pretty potent lines with a star player like Jagr coming at you on the 3rd line along with the steadyness of Linden & the tenaciousness of Cooke. Thoughts?
what has Burke ever done or said to make you think this is even remotely possible.

brutal and why pay 25m +11m per season for a guy to play on the 3rd line.

go back to the sega.

dr

Old
11-25-2003, 08:35 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
*shakes head, reads again*

Unless Jagr was playing for say 2-3 million dollars a year, we can't afford him. We have several key RFA's to resign next year, and an addition like Jagr would completely screw up our salary structure.

Besides, Brian Burke would probably end up running Jagr out of town anyway. Although, the media circus that ensues afterwards might be worth the salary.

And don't forget, the "hair" factor in this trade is balanced. We trade Sopel's mullet for Jagr's. (Or has he cut it off? I can't remember.) Unless Jagr grows it back, it's NO DEAL!
Actually it does work out to that salary range for the Canucks. The $25 mill equates to $5 mil per year of Jagr's remaining $11 mill per year contract less Keane's $2 mil per year, Sopel's $875 K per year & Umberger's offer of $800 K per year leaves Vancouver coming up with another $2,325,000 per year for the next 5 years. Jagr is still a star RW & worth likely just slightly less than Bertuzzi in salary.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
what has Burke ever done or said to make you think this is even remotely possible.

brutal and why pay 25m +11m per season for a guy to play on the 3rd line.

go back to the sega.

dr
I'm a bit too old for Sega. Might be suffering senility though.

P.S. You didn't read my sugestion correctly. Vancouver would get $25 mil to go against the $11 mil per year they would have to pay for the next 5.5 years.

Old
11-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Actually it does work out to that salary range for the Canucks. The $25 mill equates to $5 mil per year of Jagr's remaining $11 mill per year contract less Keane's $2 mil per year, Sopel's $875 K per year & Umberger's offer of $800 K per year leaves Vancouver coming up with another $2,325,000 per year for the next 5 years. Jagr is still a star RW & worth likely just slightly less than Bertuzzi in salary.
Okay, $25 mil over the remaining 5 years would leave the Canucks paying approx. $6 mil a year for Jagr, not a bad ammount in the least bit, but still too much for the Canucks as they have severeal key free agents they will need to re-sign this off-season(Morrison, Ohlund, Cloutier, Sedins, Cooke). I don't know where you got the $2 mil figure for Keane from, he's making $500,000. Umberger isn't signed and if he was, he'd be making a minor league salary as he likely wouldn't be in the line-up. If he did make the team, it would be in place of a current forward who would be moved elsewhere. Umberger's salary is a non-factor. So that leaves $6 mil minus around $1 mil, still $5 + mil to pay for the next 5 years, again not too much to make room for a player of Jagr's calibre. But you fail to realize that there is an upcoming CBA and the Canucks will not take on that type of salary. What if there is a salary cap put in place? Then the Canucks will be between a rock and a hard place. There is no way they could afford to fit an $11 mil player into their budget if their is a salary cap at say $45 mil.

But this is all a moot point as I highly doubt the Capitals would be willing to eat up $25 mil of the remaining $55 mil left on Jagr's contract.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:22 PM
I_r_1337

Quote:

D Sedin - H Sedin - King
Cooke - Linden - Jagr

put down your pipe..I'd rather keep him.

Old
11-25-2003, 11:26 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:

D Sedin - H Sedin - King
Cooke - Linden - Jagr

Thoughts?

...ya, my first thought is that you're certifiably insane. My second thought is that you should really put down the pipe as 1_R_l33t says...

If we're going to be paying 5 million of Jagr's salary for the next 5 years, you are NOT going to get him for an offensively minded young defenseman who doesn't play as big as he should, a young perimeter forward who is known for a lack of desire and willingness to play a physical game, and 73 year old RW Mike Keane. ...and on top of that ludicrous exchange, you want us to give you a choice of one of our top picks over the next few years?!?

I've seen some really bad trade offers regarding the Caps lately, but I think yours might just take the cake. Congrats!

Put it this way... the more salary we eat in a Jagr trade, the more we will have to get in return. That's the way things balance. And you will NOT see the Caps trading any #1 picks unless we are getting some SERIOUS return.

Old
11-26-2003, 03:45 AM
txpd

the capitals can buy jagr out for two-thirds of his salary. if there is a lockout that lasts more than half a season, the Caps will have spent more money to move Jagr in this deal than in a straight buy out. If the work stoppage is over a year, the Caps will have spend A LOT more money on this deal. For that reason alone they wouldn't do this deal.
The idea of adding a potential franchise player first round draft choice to the deal makes it all the more ridiculous....next?

Old
11-26-2003, 04:44 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:

D Sedin - H Sedin - King
Cooke - Linden - Jagr

Hey that deal look FAIR to me!!! But only under one condition: That you take Sutherby and Eminger off our hands as well and let the Caps eat another 3 million per year of Jagr's contract.

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

At least TRY to make an intelligent offer!!

Old
11-26-2003, 07:22 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

what is going on hiwayman??? you've got some great posts, but I would suggest staying away from the Washington trade prospals altogether - at least in any one that Jagr - and his primadonna contract and personality - are involved in.

as cap fans mentioned this makes no sense for them - but I didn't even think of that, cause I'm finding it hard to figure out how this makes any sense to the Canucks??

Even if we could replace Naslund's salary with Jagr's - which we can't since Nazzy is signed another year - it still doesn't make sense as our RFAs this coming season (as PG mentioned) should all get raises and will be difficult just locking those guys up.

and even still - paying a guy $6mill is one thing - if the caps decided to party on some of BC's finest and take on $25 mill of his remaining contract - but paying any player $6mill for 5 more seasons (especially a guy that isn't getting any better) under the uncertainty of the new CBA is a totally different can of worms!

A deal like this would be against everything that Burke has been building, and has more potential to ruin this franchise than continue to make it better.

I don't think there is anything on the Caps team that we could work out... I like Witt - but he's one of only 2 good dmen there, and it's unlikely they move him as a salary dump... and besides, a fit for us would be to move him for a left side dman we have, and unless we move Allen for him (which doesn't really make a lot of sense for us or them) I don't see a fit.

other assets they have that would fit our needs and financial structure also don't make sense for the Caps to move - guys like Zubrus...

the salary dumps they have - Lang, Jagr - are too big of a chance for a team like us to do... and Gonchar - who's I'd love to add to our defense, is a guy that would cost us a core player and then some - which again doesn't make sense.

What the Caps need are young inexpensive nhl calibre players (not Umbergers, as they have guys like Eminger, Gordon, Semin, etc, who are all further along) or Keane (who makes no sense in a rebuilding organization). And I doubt that we want to move guys like Cooke, Chubarov the Sedins, King or any of the young dmen we have... we're just too close to being a complete team to be messing with the team so drastically.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:00 AM
Doc_M

vCash:
ridiculous offer

Why would the Caps give a 1st rounder, that may be pretty high ?

And Canucks need Jagr as much as the Montreal Expos need Jagr...

Old
11-26-2003, 09:52 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_M
And Canucks need Jagr as much as the Montreal Expos need Jagr...
that is so not true...

the Canucks sell out every game... the Expos could use him to sell more tickets... just dress him up in a mascot uni and watch the people come in!! hell i'd pay to see Jagr floating around on the field looking like an idiot - the only difference is that he's doing it on the ice right now instead!!

Closed Thread