HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Vermette?

Old
11-18-2006, 02:57 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Antoine Vermette?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=184724&hubname=nhl

According to TSN, Ottawa might be willing to part with Antoine Vermette (as well as Volchenkov).

I'm not one to post rumours or make crazy trade speculations, but what do you think about getting this guy? His cap hit is about $1 million, he plays C, he is only 24 with lots of upside, and of course he is French.

I would love to have this guy but there are a few problems with this:
a) Ottawa is in our division and they more than likely won't trade him to us, it would have to be a 3-way deal (like the Bonk one where LA was involved)
b) Is he a legitimate #2 Centreman? Well Ottawa does not seem to think so, but it may be due to the inexperienced guys he's playing with, whereas Samsonov and Kovalev might compliment him.

Tell me what you think. I'm not going to think of any possibilities because I don't want to get bashed nor do I have time to think of a 3-way deal lol.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:05 PM
CH Wizard

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Really really underrated player...I'd give him a shot personally but I know the zillion of habs fans here will way '' We don't have room for him I like Plekanec or x,y better''.

I love his aggresiveness and skating...and I've watched him since the juniors. If we give him 20 minutes of ice time a game, he could produce but that's just me.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:12 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlusty the clown View Post
Really really underrated player...I'd give him a shot personally but I know the zillion of habs fans here will way '' We don't have room for him I like Plekanec or x,y better''.

I love his aggresiveness and skating...and I've watched him since the juniors. If we give him 20 minutes of ice time a game, he could produce but that's just me.
Exactly my thoughts. I'm in Ottawa so I catch the games from time to time and he plays really well, pours his heart out. Always seems to do well against Montreal. I believe he kills penalties too if I'm not mistaken.

Old
11-18-2006, 03:17 PM
felixd

I would love to have Vermette on the team, but I really doubt the sens would let him go.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think it's so much a case of them being particularly willing to part with him, but rather that he's the kind of underrated and economical young player that everybody they talk to automatically asks for.

And anyway, isn't Ottawa supposed to be looking for a 2nd line center too?

Vermette and Volchenkov are the new-NHL currency for hopefully nabbing a top-notch player (cheap, young, solid)... even if you overlook the divisional rival thing, I don't see anything we have that seems like a fit to Ottawa?

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:31 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

According to TSN, Ottawa might be willing to part with Antoine Vermette (as well as Volchenkov).

I'm not one to post rumours or make crazy trade speculations, but what do you think about getting this guy? His cap hit is about $1 million, he plays C, he is only 24 with lots of upside, and of course he is French.

a) Ottawa is in our division and they more than likely won't trade him to us, it would have to be a 3-way deal (like the Bonk one where LA was involved)
b) Is he a legitimate #2 Centreman? Well Ottawa does not seem to think so, but it may be due to the inexperienced guys he's playing with, whereas Samsonov and Kovalev might compliment him.

Tell me what you think. I'm not going to think of any possibilities because I don't want to get bashed nor do I have time to think of a 3-way deal lol.
I have Vermette as my 2nd line center in my NHL 2007 game. I think he's a good player and if its true that Ottawa is willing to part with him I think the Habs should take a good look.

badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
Sens Rule

As Vermette is making about $1 million and both teams are close to the cap and both teams want to win now the only players that make sense for the Sens are Higgins or Ryder. Montreal has no one Ottawa would be interested in on defence. The only other possibility is Aebischer or Huet if Gerber continues to struggle but it makes little sense for Montreal to trade a goalie to it's divisional rival that will be fighting for a playoff spot with them. Want to trade Higgins or Ryder for Vermette? Becuse that is likely what it would take.

Not likely going to be a trade between the Sens and Ottawa.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
MXD

Vermette would be great with us : only, I think we're gonna have to overpay to get him for obvious (division being the main one, french factor being the secondary one) reasons.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:53 PM
le_sean

Quote:
As Vermette is making about $1 million and both teams are close to the cap and both teams want to win now the only players that make sense for the Sens are Higgins or Ryder. Montreal has no one Ottawa would be interested in on defence. The only other possibility is Aebischer or Huet if Gerber continues to struggle but it makes little sense for Montreal to trade a goalie to it's divisional rival that will be fighting for a playoff spot with them. Want to trade Higgins or Ryder for Vermette? Becuse that is likely what it would take.

And this is why I said it would have to be a 3 team deal. Maybe another team has something Ottawa wants while that same team wants something Montreal is willing to give up.

Old
11-18-2006, 05:09 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Vermette should already be a Hab. He always said before being drafted that his dream was to play for Montreal. The Habs, if I remember well, traded their second pick that year and selected Balej in the third round. Vermette was taken in the second round by Ottawa who were drafting after the Habs that year.

Vermette won't be traded to Montreal in a near future, and I don't see why Ottawa would deal him anyway.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 05:10 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

No trade because they are same division ?

we trade for Traverse , few years ago , with the Sens .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

Actually Traverse was on the B's at that point in time. It was a pending-UFA Weinrich for Traverse.

MTL's since dealt Hackett to Boston via San Jose, and dealt with Ottawa via L.A. as well.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 06:51 PM
vcx*

Pens traded for Kovy with NYR, same division.

Doesn't matter, if a trade works then it works.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Miller Time

I don't see ottawa making him available, or dealing him to us if he were,
BUT...
I think he'd be a great option for the 2nd line centre.

hard working, good skater, offensive talent and more of a scorer than a playmaker, he might be a great compliment to kovy and sammy

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:07 PM
habsfan44

Quote:

i'd rather have volchenkov because i think the need for a top four defenceman is our most glaring weakness and that should be addressed first rather than second line center which can be fixed from within the organisation .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:34 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Vermette would be great with us : only, I think we're gonna have to overpay to get him for obvious (division being the main one, french factor being the secondary one) reasons.
the only reason we would overpay is because of the division rivalry and for that reason it is highly unlikely that the habs and sens will ever become trading partners , a third team will have to be involved . BTW what is " french factor " ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No, I don't want that goon on my team. All he does is play chippy hockey and committ goaltender interference non-stop.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:53 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
No, I don't want that goon on my team. All he does is play chippy hockey and committ goaltender interference non-stop.
You must have watched that ONE game last year when Theodore complained about him.

Well done!

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

First of all, the sens will not trade a player of that calibur to a divisional team

Secondly, Ottawa just might be turning the corner right now so any trade talks may slow down

Finally, a guy like vermette is part of the solution, not part of the problem in ottawa. A young, inexpensive player with good production is vital under the salary cap system. I just cant see him leaving.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:30 AM
phil666

well I started a thread on their boards, we'll see their answer.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 02:11 AM
Adam91

Like many have said I'd also love to have Vermette but it is very unlikely.

Personally I think this guy is one of the most underrated players in the league

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 02:14 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

Dont forget Dackell.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Dont forget Dackell.
I cant remember whether zholtok was traded for or signed as a UFA... he had a 26 goal season with the habs when linden and koivu had severe injuries... he went from #3 center to #1 center, lol

but in general, you dont trade players of vermette's calibur within the same division

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

You mean Habs and Ottawa?

I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of VERMETTE (I really am + I love the way he plays; smart, heart, versatile, great attitude...).

But...Higgins for Vermette?????????????????

I really apologize for being so blunt, but here goes...:

NO WAY!!!!

Vermette?
Maybe for Aebischer (+3rd OR 4th rounder).
ABBY would be awesome for your SENS!! (+ is cheap at 1,9 mil or what is left of the contract, cheap, cheap!!! + would put healthy pressure on Gerber...). But, you guys are picking it up, so this thread is going to vanish quickly!!

p.s.: look at my profile (I am a Sens' fan after Montreal!, so I hope somehow that you guys go UP in the rankings, 'cause IMO the SENS should be where the LEafs are at in the standings...you guys with US in 2nd or 3rd in the division, the LEafs in 4th ro 5th!! ).

Okay...maybe we can offer more for Vermette? Give me your opinions!! But, definitely not one on one (Vermette for Higgins...no way !!).

I'd keep VERMETTE (if I were you).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 11-19-2006 at 05:12 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote