HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Draft Prospect Kyle Turris on TV today (4:00 EST TSN)

Old
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Genghis Keon

vCash: 500
2007 Draft Prospect Kyle Turris on TV today (4:00 EST TSN)

This is just a little heads up that potential first rounder (potential top 10 pick) Kyle Turris is going to be on TV today. TSN is replaying the WJA Challenge Final today at 4:00 pm eastern. Turris led the tournament in scoring and was named MVP. He plays in the BCHL, so unless you live out west, this might be most draftniks only opportunity to see him play this year.

bossy22 has posted several Turris/WJA Challenge links on the Prospects Board, if anyone wants to check McKenzie's opinion on Turris or tournament stats.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:52 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Thanks for the heads up!!!! I've tried to watch Turris since last year. You're the king. I've seen Voracek, Couture, Esposito, Kane, Gagner but not him (and Backlund).

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Stupid question, if he's that good, why is he not playing in the OHL??? How can he be picked as a 1st rounder when he's been playing with significant badder opposition??? Could we compare this league to Fischer's league when he was picked??? Is this the same league that Salmon Arm is playing, same league that have seen Zajac or Cogliano play in???

Thanks.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 05:35 PM
bearcat11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Stupid question, if he's that good, why is he not playing in the OHL??? How can he be picked as a 1st rounder when he's been playing with significant badder opposition??? Could we compare this league to Fischer's league when he was picked??? Is this the same league that Salmon Arm is playing, same league that have seen Zajac or Cogliano play in???

Thanks.
I'm assuming that he wants to keep his eligibility to play in the NCAA, which would be lost if he played in the OHL/WHL/Q. The BCHL is where Zajac played prior to the NCAA, and I think Cogliano played in a similar Jr A league in Ontario.

bearcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Bryzga lol*

O'byrne played there aswell if I'm not mistaken?

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Thanks.
bearcat11 is right in assuming Turris is playing Junior A hockey to maintain his NCAA eligibility. He's committed to Wisconsin, where Dany Heatley played (Heatley played Junior A hockey in the AJHL, which is generally considered to be at a lower level than the BCHL, at least in my opinion).

I'd consider the BCHL to be (at least) a notch above what Fischer faced in is draft year. Fischer played high school hockey, so, as a senior, no one was significantly older than him (in contrast, the BCHL has players as old as 20), and most of the top US prospects either play in the US national development team program, the USHL (US Junior A hockey, where Kyle Okposo played last year and where highly ranked Nick Petrecki currently plays, for example), or the CHL. In terms of talent and level of play, I think the BCHL and the USHL are pretty equal, but I'm not an expert on the subject.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 06:58 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
O'byrne played there aswell if I'm not mistaken?

yes, he played for the Nanaimo Clippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Keon View Post
bearcat11 is right in assuming Turris is playing Junior A hockey to maintain his NCAA eligibility. He's committed to Wisconsin, where Dany Heatley played (Heatley played Junior A hockey in the AJHL, which is generally considered to be at a lower level than the BCHL, at least in my opinion).

I'd consider the BCHL to be (at least) a notch above what Fischer faced in is draft year. Fischer played high school hockey, so, as a senior, no one was significantly older than him (in contrast, the BCHL has players as old as 20), and most of the top US prospects either play in the US national development team program, the USHL (US Junior A hockey, where Kyle Okposo played last year and where highly ranked Nick Petrecki currently plays, for example), or the CHL. In terms of talent and level of play, I think the BCHL and the USHL are pretty equal, but I'm not an expert on the subject.
Your right, no one would be older then Fischer, or not by much. The USHS is usually 14 to 18 year olds. Any the USHL is fastly improving and growing, what you tend to see in the USHL is kids going that route for a year or so and then jumping to the NCAA, so they can work on the physical aspects before making the jump to the NCAA. Hab prospects Josef Balej and Matt Shasby played in the USHL before we drafted them.

The National program has really taken off and it seems like many of the top US prospects go that route. Hainsey and Komisarek both did but Higgins like Fischer went the USHS route. I played in the USHS back in '89-'92, but back then the programs weren't at the level they are now, although Minnesota was always known for producing good hockey players, so if your going to play in the USHS, Minnesota is a good state to be in. Along with Fischer we also picked J T Wyman who unlike Fischer did not win the Mr. Hockey but was runner up to the award.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote