HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodziak vs. Perry

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 07:06 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Brodziak vs. Perry

Just an interesting comment about Perry. He reminds me alot of Kyle Brodziak. Both guys that were drafted fairly late last year, albeit Brodziak alot later (7th round). Both are about the same size and both are players that have come out of no where to be at/near the top of their respective leagues scoring races. The biggest knock on each of them is their skating. Plus Perry is known to be somewhat soft unlike Brodziak.

I could be way off. I haven't seen Perry play at all and Brodziak only a couple of times. But it really strikes me that Perry is not the guy we want in return for Comrie.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I could be way off. I haven't seen Perry play at all and Brodziak only a couple of times. But it really strikes me that Perry is not the guy we want in return for Comrie.

This could possibly be the largest understatement of the year.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:37 PM
GJ Oil

I posted this in another thread

Article on Corey Perry

Old
11-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Just an interesting comment about Perry. He reminds me alot of Kyle Brodziak. Both guys that were drafted fairly late last year, albeit Brodziak alot later (7th round). Both are about the same size and both are players that have come out of no where to be at/near the top of their respective leagues scoring races. The biggest knock on each of them is their skating. Plus Perry is known to be somewhat soft unlike Brodziak.

Kyle Brodziak was the best skater on the ice at the Oil-Bears Rookie game. He was dominant on the PK hounding his man. If his skating is a knock on him, some scouts need to look for a new line of work.

Old
11-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Kyle Brodziak was the best skater on the ice at the Oil-Bears Rookie game. He was dominant on the PK hounding his man. If his skating is a knock on him, some scouts need to look for a new line of work.
That was the worst game in history you must remember. Plus the Bears aren't exactly world class talent. With Lowe in attendance I am sure he had a little motivation but I think the scouting reports are true from what I've seen (including that exibition game).

Old
11-25-2003, 08:12 PM
LetsGoOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
That was the worst game in history you must remember. Plus the Bears aren't exactly world class talent. With Lowe in attendance I am sure he had a little motivation but I think the scouting reports are true from what I've seen (including that exibition game).

Brodziak is a great skater. That more than anything got him drafted.

Old
11-25-2003, 09:04 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoOilers
Brodziak is a great skater. That more than anything got him drafted.
Never mind, hmm. The couple of games I've watched, he struck me as average skating wise.

Am I missing something on Brodziak then? How does a forward that is 6'3" and almost 200 pounds. Who averaged during his draft year almost a point per game and also had 84 PM's. A player that is a great skater and doesn't play too soft. Why does this kid get drafted in the 7th round then? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
Slats432

Quote:

How is 28th Overall in the draft fairly late? I don't have any feelings toward Perry but he was an early pick.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:51 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Wasn't he the guy who worked with a skating instructor over the summer and had vastly improved his skating between the prospects camp in June and training camp in September? So when he was drafted, his skating was below average, but he brought it up to average or better after being drafted...?

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 09:54 AM
dem

Quote:
Never mind, hmm. The couple of games I've watched, he struck me as average skating wise.

Am I missing something on Brodziak then? How does a forward that is 6'3" and almost 200 pounds. Who averaged during his draft year almost a point per game and also had 84 PM's. A player that is a great skater and doesn't play too soft. Why does this kid get drafted in the 7th round then? That doesn't make sense to me.
He opted out of the draft in his "real" draft year. That year he was 72gp 8g 12a 20p

Old
11-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Wasn't he the guy who worked with a skating instructor over the summer and had vastly improved his skating between the prospects camp in June and training camp in September? So when he was drafted, his skating was below average, but he brought it up to average or better after being drafted...?
I think it's Zack Stortini that you are thinking of Bart? Just did a quick read of his interview and he was talking about receiving instruction over the summer.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:58 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
I think it's Zack Stortini that you are thinking of Bart? Just did a quick read of his interview and he was talking about receiving instruction over the summer.
Oops - right you are...that's exactly who I was thinking of. Oh well, made for a good theory!! Thanks for the heads-up.

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 09:58 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
From camp, Brodziak's skating is what stood out for me above anything else. Although he was tall, he didn't look like he had filled out yet, but seemed to handle himself okay.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
From camp, Brodziak's skating is what stood out for me above anything else. Although he was tall, he didn't look like he had filled out yet, but seemed to handle himself okay.
From what I saw of him tonight at the Russia/whl game he has surprising agility for a 6'3" 19 year old. He wasn't slow by comparison to anyone else tonight either.

Perry soft? He has been getting a lot of pims for someone who doesn't fight, over 100 last season and he's at 44 in just 22 games this year. That's a whole lot of tripping goin' on.

Old
11-27-2003, 07:01 AM
sensfan18

I don't see how Perry was a late pick fellas, he was drafted in the 1st round. I see him play down here alot and his main problem was that he was weak, but over the summer he improved his strength and he is a real good prospect now. That being said, (the oilers are my 2nd fav. team) I would not want him to be the centre piece of any deal with anaheim. Now if he was part of a package and he came along with Vishnovsky (sp?) that would be a different story.

Closed Thread