Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston still needs a #1 goalie

Old
11-19-2006, 09:30 AM
remer

vCash: 500
Boston still needs a #1 goalie

This team would be awesome with a true #1 goalie. They remind me a little bit of Edmonton last year. Once Roloson was traded for, they went on a big run to the finals.
Not saying the Bruins can go that far this year, but without help in net a playoff spot is going to be tough.
So what should they do?
Avoid Nabby (SJ) and Bulin Wall ( Chic)- too big of contracts

Mid
Toskola (SJ) 1.4 mill- would be great , but at what price?
Abesicher (Mlt)
Biron (Buf)
Bryzgalov (Ann)

Lower
Esche (Phil)
Garon (LA)
Thibault (Pitt)

So do we wait to see if Hannu can make a big comeback and be a number one goalie for Boston this year? We we try to see if Thomas can carry the load?

I think we avoid the big contracts. By next year we will sorry for doing this.
At what cost would the mid choices cost us? Is it even necessary to look at the lower level choices. We would need to have Thomas moving the other way. Expendable players would probably be Sturm, Jurcina, Dempsey, York, Prems, and even Donovan. I think we need to hang onto Muray and Stuart for now.
But the bigger question right now is the goaltending. Maybe a three way deal with another team might be the only way to fetch someone who we can rely on until Hanuu and Rask make an impact.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

Esche? LOL!

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:54 AM
BruinsGirl

I agree, while Thomas was almost stellar last couple of games, he isn't proven.

But the problem is to get a real #1 you gotta trade some talent (or future) that we can't afford to trade.

But Esche???? Come on! Are you Flyers fan?

BruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

We can afford to trade Murray, and he would be a nice bargaining piece for a goalie.

Old
11-19-2006, 09:58 AM
remer

Just because Esche is available and can be for next to nothing. I didn't say he is the answer. This week is a big one with four games so I would think Finely will get a start.
The month of December becomes evenmore challenging as the schedule is tougher.
3 games against the Habs.
Hannu doesn't sound that he will be back until the end of the month.

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:59 AM
dead_golem

Send a message via AIM to dead_golem
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
I agree, while Thomas was almost stellar last couple of games, he isn't proven.

But the problem is to get a real #1 you gotta trade some talent (or future) that we can't afford to trade.

But Esche???? Come on! Are you Flyers fan?
Esche has Brian Boucher's disease. One great playoff performance by a average goalie that'll haunt him his entire life.

Though Boucher has ended up being pretty decent--in spurts. Not sure I'd say Esche has even done that since.

dead_golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:00 AM
dead_golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
We can afford to trade Murray, and he would be a nice bargaining piece for a goalie.
Your name says it all.

Old
11-19-2006, 10:02 AM
KaptainKourage*

No way we trade Aebi to a North-East team. More likely that we trade him to the West. Sorry, but we need all the points possible when we are playing Boston.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:02 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

The big point about Thomas is his inconsistency. This team have a little margin of error and they have to win games they are supposed to. He they lose 4,5 or 6 games because of bad goals or mistakes from the goaltenders; they will have to win those games against stronger opponents. So, from there, i think you see the problem. Thomas is doing an ok job but he's definitely not the guy i want between the pipes for a must win game of a 7th games of a series...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

I'm insane because I want to train an aging, streaky winner for the final missing piece that vaults this team into the play-offs.

Old
11-19-2006, 10:08 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
No way we trade Aebi to a North-East team. More likely that we trade him to the West. Sorry, but we need all the points possible when we are playing Boston.
We don't need inconsistent Aebischer, you can keep him.

BruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:11 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
We don't need inconsistent Aebischer, you can keep him.
We wont. We have Cristobal Fluke Huet, no need of two #1 goalies. Sad we have two numbers 1 goalie, since that many team doesnt have one .

Old
11-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Backin72

Quote:
The last hab goalie we got didn't work out too well. I'd rather you keep your trash.

Backin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:14 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Just because Esche is available and can be for next to nothing. I didn't say he is the answer. This week is a big one with four games so I would think Finely will get a start.
The month of December becomes evenmore challenging as the schedule is tougher.
3 games against the Habs.
Hannu doesn't sound that he will be back until the end of the month.
Not bashin on ya, but there is a reason why Esche is available and can be had for next to nothing.

IMO, we wait. Thomas is NOT a true #1 IMO, but he is capable of extended periods of fine play, interspersed /some bad games. Right now, I do not think the B's are Cup contenders.

I have said along, I would not be suprised if they were just above .500 and came on the 2nd half of the season, and made the playoffs. Once you are in, I know anything can happen. I just do not think they are capable of beating the BUF's, SJ's, ANA's of the world in a 7 game series.

If that's true, than you do not sell your soul to the Cap devil, with a Nabakov trade that will handcuff the team for the next few years. If at the deadline, the B's have suprised and are solidly in contention for a higher seed, than you look at adding a player or two for a Cup run.

The only problem with that reasoning is that if the B's have suprised, and are competing for a higher seed at the deadline, than that means they probably have gotten pretty good tending from TT and/or Hannu and don't need another goalie?

I guess I would say that we are not even to the 20 game mark yet...see if TT's little hot streak continues (or not) before committing to a big trade for a true #1 goalie.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:21 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backin72 View Post
The last hab goalie we got didn't work out too well. I'd rather you keep your trash.
That because of your poor manangement.

Old
11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Backin72

Quote:
That because of your poor manangement.
Yup, but they're gone now.

Backin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:26 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backin72 View Post
Yup, but they're gone now.
I agree.

Old
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
dead_golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
I'm insane because I want to train an aging, streaky winner for the final missing piece that vaults this team into the play-offs.
No, you're insane because you think:

A: Glen Murray will bring us a goalie who can do that.
B: You think we have players who can score enough to make such a deal make sense.

Really though, I mainly was coming at you because of the timing.

(though for the record, I dont think you are insane, I just disagreed and was having at a bit of a joke)

Old
11-19-2006, 10:43 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I agree. Thomas has been playing great, but the fact is, we don't know what he's going to do as the #1 for the whole year. And his unorthodox style makes me think he's going to run hot and cold. He's just not technically sound enough to win by good positioning and technique (where the pucks just seem to 'hit' the goalie). It takes serious concentration and focus to play well when you're a scrambler. And it's hard to maintain that level of intensity over long stretches.

Aebischer is a very good goalie. He'd be 'the answer' in Boston, but there's almost no chance these two teams help each other out, even if it's through a 3rd party.
Hate to say it, but the Habs are set up very well for this season and IMHO are a lock for the playoffs. They're 6games over .500 and that's without a legit 2nd line center, a problem I expect them to resolve with Aebischer.

FWIW, FL4L3SS did an excellent job analyzing the options out there...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=311932

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL4WL3SS View Post
Since we're in the 'market' for a tender, I figured I would analyze all of the goalies in the league and give some statistics so that people can make EDUCATED decisions and analysis of who is the best option and why.

There were a few steps I took in narrowing down the list of candidates that might be appropriate for the B's:
1. First I listed all of the starters and backups currently on NHL rosters.

2. I next picked out all of the 'untouchables' from this list and eliminated them from the list.

3. With the left over goalies I listed all of their relevant career and season statistics with salary and age information.

4. From this list I picked out a handful of goalies using career GAA below 3.00 and SV% above .900 as a standard to make it to the next level.

5. Finally, I narrowed down this list by singling out goalies that have stats of GAA below 3.00 and SV% above .900 for their career AND for this season, but also who had MANAGEABLE contracts. Also leaving out goalies that had very little NHL experience.

Now obviously this was completely arbitrary and you may use my data to come to your own conclusions and I'm sure you may have a few goalies move into different categories. My goal was to supply data that can be used for objective analysis.

Here is the narrowed down group that I came up with:

Brent Johnson-WAS
Chris Mason-NSH
Chris Osgood-DET
Curtis Joseph-PHX
Curtis Sanford-STL
Dan Cloutier-LOS
Ed Belfour-FLA
Evgeni Nabokov-SJ
Fredrik Norrena-CBJ
Ilya Bryzgalov-ANA
Jean-Sebastien Giguere-ANA
Jocelyn Thibault-PIT
Johan Hedberg-ATL
Jussi Markkanen-EDM
Kevin Weekes-NYR
Mathieu Garon-LOS
Mike Dunham-NYI
Mike Smith-DAL
Niklas Backstrom-MIN
Peter Budaj-COL
Robert Esche-PHI

And here is the best of that group (good careers, good seasons, manageable contracts):

Brent Johnson-WAS
Chris Mason-NSH
Chris Osgood-DET
Ilya Bryzgalov-ANA
Jean-Sebastien Giguere-ANA
Johan Hedberg-ATL
Mathieu Garon-LOS
Mike Dunham-NYI
Peter Budaj-COL

I will be attaching the spreadsheet with ALL of the data on it, so make sure you check it out to see how I narrowed these groups down. Didn't want to clog the post up too much. The most interesting candidate that has come out of this is Chris Osgood. I am now convinced this is who we should trade for, considering all his numbers and his great contract status. Check out all the numbers and tell me what you think.

-FL4WL3SS

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:53 AM
shOOt_the_mOOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The big point about Thomas is his inconsistency. This team have a little margin of error and they have to win games they are supposed to. He they lose 4,5 or 6 games because of bad goals or mistakes from the goaltenders; they will have to win those games against stronger opponents. So, from there, i think you see the problem. Thomas is doing an ok job but he's definitely not the guy i want between the pipes for a must win game of a 7th games of a series...
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

The only thing "inconsistant" about Thomas has been his chances to show the organization what he has to offer.

He was stellar in his 4 starts for the B's when we had Graham and Shields as our tenders and I can't for the life of me figure out why he was demoted back then.

He put up great numbers in Providence and Europe (in a European league stocked with locked out NHLers).

He almost single handedly kept Boston in the playoff hunt last year when many had given up on the team (including some of the players).

He isn't Broduer or Roy, but then again, there aren't many of those types of goaltenders to be had.

Even during the dismal start the team had this year, his play was a reflection of the poor team defense in front of him.

I think this years Bruins team is a long shot for making it deep into the playoffs, even with a true #1 goaltender everyone seems to be seeking out. I'm very content with a rebuilding year to allow the kids to gel and get more experience.

The time for trading Murray has long gone in my eyes as well. He has rediscovered his complete game from his days with LA. He's skating and hitting well and isn't the one dimensional player he appeared to be while riding shotgun with Joe.

Personally, I'm tired of the quick fix solutions that this organization has tried and failed to many times in the past. It's time to build it from within, even if it takes a few years. I've been waiting for decades as it is so what's another couple seasons if they do it right for a change?

That's just my 2 cents.

shOOt_the_mOOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:06 AM
King Blazer

Being both a Bruin and Kings fan, Garon from L.A. would be my choice. Crawford had the Kings bring in Cloutier and then extend his contract for 2-seasons beyond this one. Garon on the other hand has a manageable contract at $1.2 mil and will be a FA after this season. A goalie going back the other way would probably have to be included in the deal as LaBarbera is subject to re-entry waivers and I imagine there is at least one team in the NHL that would claim him at half of his $800k salary.

The Kings have a few needs, their most pressing might be for a defenseman as Rob Blake was injured in yesterday's game against the Yotes, Sopel is on the IR and Tversovsky is out with a groin injury. Blake is reported to have a groin injury and will be evaluated later this week. The Kings don't really have a d-man in Mancehster that's ready.

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Johnny Bran Muffins

We'll give you Mara and Finley for Garon.

Old
11-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
I was thinking more like Jucina and Sauve.

Wpg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:28 AM
BadBruins

Garon is the only goalie I'd seriously look at. He doesn't have the same track record as a high priced goalie like Nabokov, but he has put decent numbers over the past couple seasons on not so good teams. He better fits this club because he's on the last year of his contract and doesn't make that much coin.

BadBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Let me respecfully respond :-).

He put up great numbers in Providence and Europe (in a European league stocked with locked out NHLers). That's the problem. That's the only place where he showed numbers...

Even during the dismal start the team had this year, his play was a reflection of the poor team defense in front of him. The defense wasn't sound but it doesn't explain why Thomas allow one bad goal per game or the fact that on a breakaway, the opponent will scored 95% of the time. Honnestly, Thomas have a very poor goalie mechanic

He almost single handedly kept Boston in the playoff hunt last year when many had given up on the team (including some of the players). Agreed. But, for the last part of the season, he was pretty bad which is consistent with history of inconsistency...

He was stellar in his 4 starts for the B's when we had Graham and Shields as our tenders and I can't for the life of me figure. 1- That's only 4 games and 2- He was not " stellar " since, in all those games, he allowed a softy who could have been costly if the team have faced a stronger opponents.

The team is winning and i don't want to knock Thomas to death but all signs point that he will never be a #1 goaltender. A good backup, yes but not a #1.

Last edited by Latrappe: 11-19-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote