HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston still needs a #1 goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2006, 12:34 PM
  #26
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 500
We Can't Trade Anyone Right Now!

Do we need a True # 1 Goalie? Yes. However we can't trade any roster players to get that goalie. The reason is simple. We've won 8 games - All 8 games have been Won By 1 Goal! We can't lose anyone to an injury or to a trade. We just don't have the depth @ offence to replace any player.

Sorry but right now that's just the way it is. Hopefully TT can keep it up or HT can bounce back soon.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:38 PM
  #27
Reckless Abandon*
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
I'm not a big Thomas fan, but I feel that with a little more work in the AHL, Hannu will be able to bounce back up to the NHl and take the number one spot.

I'm still pissed that we didn't keep Raycroft, he's been my favorite goalie since Patrick Roy retired.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:41 PM
  #28
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
The big point about Thomas is his inconsistency. This team have a little margin of error and they have to win games they are supposed to. He they lose 4,5 or 6 games because of bad goals or mistakes from the goaltenders; they will have to win those games against stronger opponents. So, from there, i think you see the problem. Thomas is doing an ok job but he's definitely not the guy i want between the pipes for a must win game of a 7th games of a series...
Thomas has allowe 3, 2, 1, 2 goals in the last 4 games. If he can keep that up, Boston will win games. This team should be capable of scoring 3, 4 or 5 most nights and squeak out with a win if Thomas steals the game like he has at least 2-3 out of the 4 wins in the streak.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
  #29
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Do we need a True # 1 Goalie? Yes. However we can't trade any roster players to get that goalie. The reason is simple. We've won 8 games - All 8 games have been Won By 1 Goal! We can't lose anyone to an injury or to a trade. We just don't have the depth @ offence to replace any player.

Sorry but right now that's just the way it is. Hopefully TT can keep it up or HT can bounce back soon.
I agree. Things are going well and everyone who could be traded is contributing in a big way. With the exception of maybe Sturm, but even if you move him, you'll have a difficult time filling his minutes and point production (snicker). If anyone of our top 6 were to exit the lineup right now, I fear we would see increased ice time to Primeau, Mowers, Donovan or even a promotion of one of those 3 to a top 6 spot. Do we REALLY want that!?!?!? I sure don't.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:46 PM
  #30
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by shOOt_the_mOOn View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

The only thing "inconsistant" about Thomas has been his chances to show the organization what he has to offer.

He was stellar in his 4 starts for the B's when we had Graham and Shields as our tenders and I can't for the life of me figure out why he was demoted back then.

He put up great numbers in Providence and Europe (in a European league stocked with locked out NHLers).

He almost single handedly kept Boston in the playoff hunt last year when many had given up on the team (including some of the players).

He isn't Broduer or Roy, but then again, there aren't many of those types of goaltenders to be had.

Even during the dismal start the team had this year, his play was a reflection of the poor team defense in front of him.

I think this years Bruins team is a long shot for making it deep into the playoffs, even with a true #1 goaltender everyone seems to be seeking out. I'm very content with a rebuilding year to allow the kids to gel and get more experience.

The time for trading Murray has long gone in my eyes as well. He has rediscovered his complete game from his days with LA. He's skating and hitting well and isn't the one dimensional player he appeared to be while riding shotgun with Joe.

Personally, I'm tired of the quick fix solutions that this organization has tried and failed to many times in the past. It's time to build it from within, even if it takes a few years. I've been waiting for decades as it is so what's another couple seasons if they do it right for a change?

That's just my 2 cents.


Great post.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 12:58 PM
  #31
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
In response to your response:

He put up great numbers in Providence and Europe (in a European league stocked with locked out NHLers). That's the problem. That's the only place where he showed numbers...
He has 907, 917 and 901 save percentages in 3 years he's played games in the NHL. Providence and Europe are definitely not the only places he's showed numbers.

Even during the dismal start the team had this year, his play was a reflection of the poor team defense in front of him. The defense wasn't sound but it doesn't explain why Thomas allow one bad goal per game or the fact that on a breakaway, the opponent will scored 95% of the time. Honnestly, Thomas have a very poor goalie mechanic
Thomas let in 1 sometimes 2 bad goals a game for the first few starts, but you can't blame him for breakaway goals. A breakaway is 99% the players fault every time and he does stop more breakaways than your leading on. Thomas is an unorthodox goaltender but his style works for him. You're right the defense wasn't sound...but that is exactly the explanation why Thomas allows breakaway goals.

He almost single handedly kept Boston in the playoff hunt last year when many had given up on the team (including some of the players). Agreed. But, for the last part of the season, he was pretty bad which is consistent with history of inconsistency...
Everyone says he wasn't consistent the last part of the season, but this was his first ever NHL chance. He played like 20 games in a row (not exactly but something stupid like that). And they didn't want Raycroft to play anymore. The defense was still horrendous and no one was putting in goals besides the BBS line. I don't fault him for last season even if he wasn't consistent through the last part of the season. I don't think that any goalie would have been consistent at that point. Plus, the way he played throught the first 15 games or so and single handedly gave the Bruins a chance is showing consistency to me.

He was stellar in his 4 starts for the B's when we had Graham and Shields as our tenders and I can't for the life of me figure. 1- That's only 4 games and 2- He was not " stellar " since, in all those games, he allowed a softy who could have been costly if the team have faced a stronger opponents.
Any time a goalie allows 3 or less goals, he is giving his team a good chance to win. That's the bottom line. Thomas allowed 11 goals in 4 games. Do the math and that's less than 3 a game. For his first NHL stints, that was VERY good and to say that he wasn't "stellar" would not be giving him enough credit imho. He was a green green rookie that no one had heard of and he gave the Bruins chances to win soft goals or not. I don't remember any soft goals getting by him those games, but again, the fact that he only allowed 2-3 per game gives the team a chance to win.

The team is winning and i don't want to knock Thomas to death but all signs point that he will never be a #1 goaltender. A good backup, yes but not a #1.He's played 55 games in the NHL. Not saying he has potential, but that's barely a full season for a goaltender and if you put all his numbers together, I would say he's a decent no.1 goalie.

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:00 PM
  #32
remer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,227
vCash: 500
What about Jurcina and Thomas for Garon?

remer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:32 PM
  #33
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
With Marc Crawford's obsession with Cloutier, I think we could get Garon straight up for Thomas.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:36 PM
  #34
OldTimeHockey24
Registered User
 
OldTimeHockey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
IMO, we need to stop worrying about thomas right now. the team is riding a high, thomas is playing good, and the team as a whole is playing good. everyone says that we need a #1 goalie but so far i have had no problem with thomas. with rask coming up soon and toivenen trying to fix his problems in providence trading for someone would not be the right move. Until thomas starts to choke/ toivenen cant turn it around, be happy that we even have a goalie good enough for the NHL. although it seems that some of the goals he's given up have been easy ones, he makes up for it with some great saves. He's kept us in the game for most of the season, and in the last few games hes allowed very few goals. Keep Thomas until he starts to reallly show signs of fatigue.

OldTimeHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
  #35
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
We attack at 11.
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,863
vCash: 500
Why have the past four games gone to overtime? Because Thomas has nearly blown the game on all of them. He's a liability, and you can't have a liability between the pipes if you want to win hockey games.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:46 PM
  #36
OldTimeHockey24
Registered User
 
OldTimeHockey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
the reason last nights game went to ot was primeau's stupid penalty. i agree with everyone when i say hes not the greatest goaltender. But we've won the last 4 games. although most of them have been from ot we still won them. last year he kept us in the hunt with his goaltending. until those ot games start leaning towards the other team, thomas is no liability and deserves the time hes getting. andd who would we trade for him. everyone seems to think we should get rid of murray but imo hes been great this year and losing someone like him hurts an offense that has struggled with goal scoring this year.
All im saying is let this win streak take its course. If thomas allows 1 2 or even 3 goals i will not be upset, our offense should be able to put up that many too.

OldTimeHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 02:58 PM
  #37
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Bill Ladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wellesley, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Do we need a True # 1 Goalie? Yes. However we can't trade any roster players to get that goalie. The reason is simple. We've won 8 games - All 8 games have been Won By 1 Goal! We can't lose anyone to an injury or to a trade. We just don't have the depth @ offence to replace any player.

Sorry but right now that's just the way it is. Hopefully TT can keep it up or HT can bounce back soon.
Who said you have to trade offense? I would think a young defenseman like Jurcina and a backup goalie would be enough. Heck, a lot of the goalies are UFA's and might just get dealt for a pick. Since they're all making close to the league minimum, they're easy to fit under the cap. Guys like Dunham, Garon, even Brent Johnson from last night are all playing outstanding hockey, and could give the B's strong goaltending for the next couple months.

All that said, Thomas' strong play has bought them some time and earned Thomas an extended tryout. I wouldn't want to screw with Thomas' head by sitting him anytime soon, but at some point I'd like to get a look at Finley as well. He had lots of promise and is still young enough to make it to the show, sort of like Chistov.

Bill Ladd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
  #38
shOOt_the_mOOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
Why have the past four games gone to overtime? Because Thomas has nearly blown the game on all of them. He's a liability, and you can't have a liability between the pipes if you want to win hockey games.
First off, the past 4 games haven't gone to overtime, just the last 3.

Secondly, if all the games were decided strictly by the goaltender, why do we have 5 other players per side?

Tim Thomas is no more a liability to this team than any other player. He will have good and bad games, like all players.

Let's not be so quick to run goaltenders out of town.

Boston has quite the reputation for doing that and haven't won a Stanley Cup for over 30 years.

shOOt_the_mOOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:43 PM
  #39
chiapet3819
Registered User
 
chiapet3819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
jurcina and sauve for Garon is probably the deal that makes the most sense at this time

chiapet3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:09 AM
  #40
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
We can afford to trade Murray, and he would be a nice bargaining piece for a goalie.
How do figure we can afford to trade Murray. In case you haven't notice he is leading the Bruins in Goals and has been one of their best offensive weapons. Who the hell i going to score if you trade him for a goalie. I find it so hard to beleive that some of you refuse to admit his worth to this team even when it is so obvious how valuable he is as a scorer and leader for this team.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:32 AM
  #41
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
Why have the past four games gone to overtime? Because Thomas has nearly blown the game on all of them. He's a liability, and you can't have a liability between the pipes if you want to win hockey games.
Judging from your attitude, you think Thomas should stop every shot or he's a loser. Just because Tim has an unorthodox style, doesn't mean he is not effective. He had an obvious rough start in his first game playing in front of a Bruins' team that had several new players and coaches coming together for the first time. If we discard that contest, Thomas has a 2.65 gaa and a .918 save % ranking him in the top 10 in the league in that catagory, tying him wit the likes of Marty Turco, JS Giguere, Manny Fernadez and Olif Kolzig, and just 3 % points back of the famed Evgeny Nabokov who we hear so much about. The problem with alot of Bruins' fans is a goalie can make 35 great saves in a game, but god forbid he allows a late goal. No other goalie in the league ever does that. The Bruins have been very guilty of trying to "hold on to leads" and on most nights it has looked inevitable that the other team would tie it up because of it. By the way, Thomas was in the top 10 in save % last season as well, so what more does he have to do to "prove" himself. Give the guy a chance. The team is playing better in front of him, he is playing with more confidence, the last thing in the world, the Bruins should do now is make a trade and sacrifice scoring or defenceive depth for something that may not be a whole lot better.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM
  #42
CombatOnContact
 
CombatOnContact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa
Country: Malaysia
Posts: 16,032
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
Why have the past four games gone to overtime? Because Thomas has nearly blown the game on all of them. He's a liability, and you can't have a liability between the pipes if you want to win hockey games.
Thomas has allowed 3, 2, 1, 2 goals in the last 4 games. How can you possibly say that the games are going to OT because of him. Most of the tying goals have come on the PP as well with an ill-timed bad penalty by Primeau and others. IMO, Thoms has stolen the last 3 (if not 4) games and is a main reason for the 4 game win streak right now. If he continues to play the way he has been and the forwards start putting away more of their chances, this team will win more handily.

If Boston had won the last 4 games by these scores: 6-3, 5-2, 4-1, 4-2, does that make Thomas look better in your eyes?

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
  #43
SToMper!
Registered User
 
SToMper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 3,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaner View Post
Esche? LOL!
I watched the first two periods of the San Jose game the other night and Esche was just aweful.....reminded me of Rayzor when everyone had his number.....

Anyone see Grier on that breakaway? Big guys got wheels!

SToMper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
  #44
jakeMAC387
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everett Ma
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
No, TT reminds me of another great 55 min. goaler for the B's Byron DaFold. The last 5 min of a game with a 1 goal lead and I can safely head to the fridge to grab my overtime beer. If we are not going to get a legit #1 backstop, then I suggest a closer, similar to basesall. Bring in a veteran netminder who can handle the pressure of a close game but not the workload of a full season. Send him in to close out the close games. Thereby we avoid OT and those dreaded shoot outs.

jakeMAC387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:29 AM
  #45
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeMAC387 View Post
No, TT reminds me of another great 55 min. goaler for the B's Byron DaFold.
I hate to say it, but this comparison isn't too far off the mark. The difference is that we came into this season expecting TT to be a backup and in the past Lord Byron was the #1 guy.

doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:04 AM
  #46
bastone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Thomas has allowed 3, 2, 1, 2 goals in the last 4 games. How can you possibly say that the games are going to OT because of him. Most of the tying goals have come on the PP as well with an ill-timed bad penalty by Primeau and others. IMO, Thoms has stolen the last 3 (if not 4) games and is a main reason for the 4 game win streak right now. If he continues to play the way he has been and the forwards start putting away more of their chances, this team will win more handily.

If Boston had won the last 4 games by these scores: 6-3, 5-2, 4-1, 4-2, does that make Thomas look better in your eyes?

I totally agree.Every goalie gives up a bad goal from time to time,but if you lose a 1-0 game or even 2-1, your offence really did not help you at all.I think Thomas deserves to play especially playing this well.Im not his biggest fan,but like you say if he gives up 1-3 goals per game,there is no excuses for us to win games.We have a pretty good offence that should put up 3-4 goals per game.If we can just regroup a bit better on the pk,we will defanatly be in the playoffs this year

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM
  #47
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Thomas has allowed 3, 2, 1, 2 goals in the last 4 games. How can you possibly say that the games are going to OT because of him. Most of the tying goals have come on the PP as well with an ill-timed bad penalty by Primeau and others. IMO, Thoms has stolen the last 3 (if not 4) games and is a main reason for the 4 game win streak right now. If he continues to play the way he has been and the forwards start putting away more of their chances, this team will win more handily.

If Boston had won the last 4 games by these scores: 6-3, 5-2, 4-1, 4-2, does that make Thomas look better in your eyes?
This post kinda says it all. Timmay is holding up his end, but I think Lewis wants the Bruins to be much more defensive minded. Therefore he is more worried about winning in the defensive end, so prepare to see more 1 goal victories

I'm just happy we're seeing wins, a win is a win is a win. Whether its 1 goal or 6. Its really a shame Timmy is becoming the scape goat, I mean sure he lets in weak goals and is streaky, but his nerves must be shot. I think being the teams scapegoat would add some extra stress. Now that he is winning, hopefully some of that stress is transfered, but I still see the same "We need a goalie" threads out there.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:52 PM
  #48
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMaker View Post
Who said you have to trade offense? I would think a young defenseman like Jurcina and a backup goalie would be enough. Heck, a lot of the goalies are UFA's and might just get dealt for a pick. Since they're all making close to the league minimum, they're easy to fit under the cap. Guys like Dunham, Garon, even Brent Johnson from last night are all playing outstanding hockey, and could give the B's strong goaltending for the next couple months.

All that said, Thomas' strong play has bought them some time and earned Thomas an extended tryout. I wouldn't want to screw with Thomas' head by sitting him anytime soon, but at some point I'd like to get a look at Finley as well. He had lots of promise and is still young enough to make it to the show, sort of like Chistov.
If I remember correctly Boston only has about $250,000 in Cap Space... once you factor in the Buyouts and Kessel's Bonus'.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.