HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Svitov

Old
12-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Pluckfur

vCash: 500
So, anyone's opinion on Svitov change lately?

seriously, i see absolutely no reason to believe this guy won't be our #2 for years to come.

Hitch has christened him the Mini 'Zeus. Bring on Mt. Olympus.

#

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
disgruntledPSLholder

he doesn't handle the puck that well and doesn't finish well, but he's improving.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
He's slow.......

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Pluckfur

there are apparently a lot of special, slow people around here. svits is only one among an army of multitudes.

Old
12-19-2006, 11:57 AM
tgerace23

Honestly, id like to see him infront of the goalie. Svit is a huge guy, hes not slow but hes not fast either. I think he would do great in a Holstrom kind of roll pissing goalies off.

tgerace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerace23 View Post
Honestly, id like to see him infront of the goalie. Svit is a huge guy, hes not slow but hes not fast either. I think he would do great in a Holstrom kind of roll pissing goalies off.
I do love the way he smothers people along the boards, I mean this guy plays huge..... He also has a temper as seen in some of the fights he's gotten into. He is fun to watch when in the paint no doubt about it, I see many screen goals in the future with him getting more ice time under Hitch....

Old
12-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerace23 View Post
That's exactly how he played in the Chicago game, had a goal, and coulda had 3 more.

If Alexander Svitov commits himself to improving his weak areas, I think he has more potential than nearly anyone on the roster. He and Nik Zherdev need to start working out together and work on each others game... and if they could learn to work better together(which they have been), they could be a great tandem. Once Fedorov and Vyborny move on, maybe we'll see Rick Nash move into the leadership role and jump on that line. That could be pretty.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:23 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Svitov, Modin and Norrena -- all Lightning castoffs.

(well, castoff isn't quite accurate in Modin's case, but you get my point).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
That's exactly how he played in the Chicago game, had a goal, and coulda had 3 more.

If Alexander Svitov commits himself to improving his weak areas, I think he has more potential than nearly anyone on the roster. He and Nik Zherdev need to start working out together and work on each others game... and if they could learn to work better together(which they have been), they could be a great tandem. Once Fedorov and Vyborny move on, maybe we'll see Rick Nash move into the leadership role and jump on that line. That could be pretty.
I think this is the key point. Svitov's potential has been talked about since before he was drafted. Yes, he has shown signs of that potential from time to time. Is he willing to dedicate himself to his weak areas? If he is, I think he can be solid for years to come. I hope this is the case and I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm just not sold yet. I want to see him steady for longer stretches.

I would love Svitov to finally come into his own and be the kind of player that he was drafted to be. We all see the potential and are holding out hope. Come on, Svitov. We're all cheering you on!

Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Svitov, Modin and Norrena -- all Lightning castoffs.

(well, castoff isn't quite accurate in Modin's case, but you get my point).
I never thought of that.....sort of reminds me of the Columbus Hurricanes....

Old
12-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
I think this is the key point. Svitov's potential has been talked about since before he was drafted. Yes, he has shown signs of that potential from time to time. Is he willing to dedicate himself to his weak areas? If he is, I think he can be solid for years to come. I hope this is the case and I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm just not sold yet. I want to see him steady for longer stretches.

I would love Svitov to finally come into his own and be the kind of player that he was drafted to be. We all see the potential and are holding out hope. Come on, Svitov. We're all cheering you on!
He's improving under Hitchcock every game, ice time helps bigtime, he's getting around 15 minutes a game......

Old
12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
CapnCornelius

He hasn't been in the box nearly as much, which is good news. I don't think he'll be our #2 for years to come though. Brule and Brassard are likely to be our #1 and #2 two years out. Svitov will be lucky if he's still on the second line come next fall, though he may still have a spot with the team. Personally, I still think we should think about going after someone like Briere in the off-season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 01:09 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

brule doesn't need to be a center. he's fine on the wing.

Old
12-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
He hasn't been in the box nearly as much, which is good news. I don't think he'll be our #2 for years to come though. Brule and Brassard are likely to be our #1 and #2 two years out. Svitov will be lucky if he's still on the second line come next fall, though he may still have a spot with the team. Personally, I still think we should think about going after someone like Briere in the off-season.
Why should the team dump Svitov when he's a young guy playing his best hockey?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 01:30 PM
raindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledPSLholder View Post
That's what we thought about Parma, too

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender11 View Post
That's what we thought about Parma, too
no we didn't. fritsche was subpar on the wing. ^_^

Old
12-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
I left first line center open for the kiddies should they bear firstly fruit... my contention that Svitov remains second line in conjuntion with Nik once they become accustomed to their mutual combined strengths. think bam bam and pebbles, k?

yes, by all means go after a top notch centerman in the off season, that's a given. joker. i don't know that we need one that's likely to cost as much as Briere, though. it depends on what this team looks like at the end of February... right now the berard and foote hole looks biggest. we'll see.

how 'bout the Basillie guy? still betting he and rendell are super secret lovers, capn?

Last edited by Pluckfur: 12-19-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old
12-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledPSLholder View Post
While a ton of players who are drafted as centres eventually move to the wing when they become NHL regulars, Brule (and Brassard) were drafted to become the top scoring line centres for the future. That's the thing about early first rounders, they are often taken to fill a need, where guys taken in the late first round and subsequent rounds (like Fritsche) aren't neccesarily drafted to fill a need, most often it is a BPA scenario.

It's nice to see Fritsche playing well at the position he played in junior, but when he was drafted it wasn't because the team NEEDED him to eventually become a go to centreman. Brule was drafted to be a go to centreman.

What I'm saying I guess is that Brule is developing on the wing, being groomed for the position which he HAS to fill after Fedorov leaves. It's much more crucial for Brule to turn into a centre because its a team need.

Maybe its because I am having a horrible day at work with an A-1 hangover but this post is kind of all over the place, I hope you get what I am saying.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
raindog

Macster, like usual, you make more sense than most of the rest of us combined!

raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:50 PM
falcor

no, i haven't changed my opinion of svitov. and yes, he is willing to work on his weak areas. has everyone forgot that he went to a skating 'class' a few years back and worked on power skating? anyone forgot that he actually reported to syracuse when it was requested of him? please don't forget, as i'm tired of reminding you.

svits is awesome. and i'm sorry(to whoever mentioned it) but no way in hell is brassard gonna just show up and be #2. brule was pegged way better than brassard(crosby -, remember??) and he couldn't do it.

as for trading svitov? no thanks.

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
I left first line center open for the kiddies should they bear firstly fruit...
If either Brassard or Brule are on the first line come next fall, Fedorov is likely to be on the second line. Leaving Svitov where he belongs--the 3rd or 4th line.

Quote:
how 'bout the Basillie guy? still betting he and rendell are super secret lovers, capn?
It really isn't about Balsillie at the end of the day. Its about whether or not the Pens get an arena. Some of the scuttlebutt coming out of the whole situation was that Balsillie bowed out in order to get more leverage on the arena issue--if it looked less certain the Pens were going be kept in Pittsburgh at all costs, the Commission's hand would be pushed toward approving Isle of Capri's plan, which is obviously, from a business point of view, the preferable option for anyone that plans to own the team as it would mean NO lease payments. Of course, if that was his plan, Mario seems to have crushed it by now stating that there's no way they'd consider going forward with a deal with him in the future.

Unless there is another city out there just dying to hand them an arena with no lease, the Penguins will be in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future whether its the Isle of Capri plan or Rendell's Plan B.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
If either Brassard or Brule are on the first line come next fall, Fedorov is likely to be on the second line. Leaving Svitov where he belongs--the 3rd or 4th line.

It really isn't about Balsillie at the end of the day. Its about whether or not the Pens get an arena. Some of the scuttlebutt coming out of the whole situation was that Balsillie bowed out in order to get more leverage on the arena issue--if it looked less certain the Pens were going be kept in Pittsburgh at all costs, the Commission's hand would be pushed toward approving Isle of Capri's plan, which is obviously, from a business point of view, the preferable option for anyone that plans to own the team as it would mean NO lease payments. Of course, if that was his plan, Mario seems to have crushed it by now stating that there's no way they'd consider going forward with a deal with him in the future.

Unless there is another city out there just dying to hand them an arena with no lease, the Penguins will be in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future whether its the Isle of Capri plan or Rendell's Plan B.
no, no... brule will not be first line center next year and not even definitely the year after that.

and now's a fine time to change your story on balsillie and rendell. i think bettman made it clear that the League has a vested interest in the Pens staying in Pittsburgh and being profitable franchise there as well. I was just *poking* you because the scenario you espoused back during the November elections didn't pan out... and you know that's what I was doing

Old
12-19-2006, 03:30 PM
BluejacketNut

The worst place on the ice for the standard NHL player is between the boards and an oncoming Svitov!

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The worst place on the ice for the standard NHL player is between the boards and an oncoming Svitov!
That is true....I've seen him several times of late make smaller guys disappear behind his body along the boards...it's kind of funny. He then skates away and the little one is on ice in a lump...

As for his potential....third line center tops.....if we can roll four lines next year he will be on the fourth. But....and a big but here, Hitch loves him on the power play, I'm starting to watch him very closely in that role...he could be a stud in the paint with Berard blasting from the point...we will see come february.

Old
12-19-2006, 08:41 PM
BluejacketNut

His best asset is the one that you cant teach....size. He has good enough hands to be relatively successful with his reach, he wont be a 30+ scorer or anything, but he's a massive workhorse to throw out in almost any situation. He's also become money on the face offs

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote