HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th Best Record in the East.

Old
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
driveforfive*

vCash: 500
4th Best Record in the East.

Here is something to let Islander fans smile about. If we won our games in hand we are actually par for having the 4th best point percentage at this point.
1. Buffalo
2. Montreal
3. New Jersey
4. Islanders
Of course we would sit in 5th seed because Carolina would grab a top 3 seed for best in Division.

We have 4 games in hand with Atlanta and Carolina - 8 points would put us ahead of them. These games in hand are significant. It does not mean we have to win the 4 games in hand all at once unless the teams ahead do win with a better percentage from here on out. ie we lose they lose we are still 7 points back with 4 games in hand. We have 3 games in hand on Toronto and only 5 behind. We have 2 games in hand on Washington and only 1 behind.

It is early but this is the beast we have been thus far. Toronto, Carolina, and Atlanta are being bragged about and the Isles are not noticed much by media. The 3 aforementioned teams as stated above have played 3-4 games more than us. Since our next 2 games are Toronto and Carolina this stat appears more interesting as we get a chance to take advantage and gain 2 points and yet hold our games in hand advantage at the same number. Let's Go Isles

driveforfive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Aucoin3

can we add a poll to this asking if it is the worst poll and the largest abuse of stats in history of HFB??

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:50 PM
JKP

I like the optimism. There's no reason we can't win those four games in hand the way we're playing right now...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:07 PM
RMimagery

9-3-3 last 15 is not too shabby.

instead of worrying where we finish in the east, let's see if we can win the division because it's certainly possible. this way we'll know where we'll be in the conference...3RD!

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
The thing that I take exception to is not the fact that we aren't noticed, it's that teams like the Penguins and the Rangers are because of their marquee talent. This is not meant to be a shot at all to those two teams, as Shanahan, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin are all outstanding talents, and both teams happen to be good teams. But, after being predicted by EVERY SINGLE media outlet to come in at BEST 14th..and now we're 25% into the season..and we sit tied for 8th with games at hand...it's frustrating.

It's not like we've had the easiest schedule in the world thus far either. Road games at Anaheim, Dallas, LA, San Jose, New Jersey, Phoenix, Tampa, Florida who is outstanding at home...not to mention home games against Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh.

Did anyone expect us to stand at 9-6-3 at this point? Not here, not on this board, not anywhere.

The fact is I would expect Ted Nolan, Yash, Blake, and most recently the goaltending (BOTH) to be getting some credit. But hey, flying under the radar may be the best thing to happen. No expectation.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:34 AM
driveforfive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
can we add a poll to this asking if it is the worst poll and the largest abuse of stats in history of HFB??
It would merely be a poll on the differential between die hard fans who savor every point because we know how important they are because of the parity of the NHL - AND fans that are not in the know of what is going on.

It is a mere observation. Hockey analysts are looking at the stats - They see Carolina in 2nd brag them up because they shot up the standings. Like I said it is an observation that although we are far in Carlona, Atlanta, and Toronto's rear view mirror we have the better point percentage.

Old
11-20-2006, 12:47 AM
NYYmt62

Maybe a better way to compare would be points per game?
1 - Buffalo : 1.65
2 - New Jersey : 1.32
3 - Montreal : 1.32
4 - Toronto : 1.24
5 - Atlanta : 1.23
6 - Carolina : 1.23
7 - Islanders : 1.17
8 - Pittsburgh : 1.12
9 - Washington : 1.10
10 - Rangers : 1.10

This way, there are no assumptions. Hopefully the Isles can take advantage of the games in hand though.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:08 AM
driveforfive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
The thing that I take exception to is not the fact that we aren't noticed, it's that teams like the Penguins and the Rangers are because of their marquee talent. This is not meant to be a shot at all to those two teams, as Shanahan, Jagr, Crosby, and Malkin are all outstanding talents, and both teams happen to be good teams. But, after being predicted by EVERY SINGLE media outlet to come in at BEST 14th..and now we're 25% into the season..and we sit tied for 8th with games at hand...it's frustrating.

It's not like we've had the easiest schedule in the world thus far either. Road games at Anaheim, Dallas, LA, San Jose, New Jersey, Phoenix, Tampa, Florida who is outstanding at home...not to mention home games against Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh.

Did anyone expect us to stand at 9-6-3 at this point? Not here, not on this board, not anywhere.

The fact is I would expect Ted Nolan, Yash, Blake, and most recently the goaltending (BOTH) to be getting some credit. But hey, flying under the radar may be the best thing to happen. No expectation.
It will take a little more but we will get our credit. The media has their own picks though.
-Pittsburgh has won media central because of Lemieux - Lemieux leaves and Crosby arrives.
-Toronto and Calgary are everyones love in Canada.
-Montreal doesn't even get credit in Canada outside of Quebec. CBC practically stopped playing their games in favor of the Beloved Leafs.
-Philadelphia (Bobby Clarke) Detroit (Steve Yzerman) Colorado (Sakic and Roy), etc... have all won the hearts of the media.
I have convinced myself why the media hates the Islanders - Think about this:

1. Most hockey media that you hear from outside your region is based in Canada - or a Canadian is part of their sports analysis.
The Hurt: The 4 consecutive cups the Islanders won was not just the longest cup winning streak of any American team. It was the first time in over 40 years that the cup had been away from Canada longer than 2 consecutive years. This was painfull to Canadian hockey media and fans.

2. The age of most of the media men average in their 30's and 40's.
The Hurt: These guys were young men when this somewhat new team took all the glory from the Habs (who were popular in Canadian media then), Leafs etc... Look at the rejuvenation in hockey in Canada and media when Gretzky, Messier, Anderson etc.. emerged to bring the cup back to Canada.

So when media got a chance to kick at the Islanders after their loss to Edmonton they never stopped kicking and switched the Glory to Gretzky and the boys.

The Islanders have to make some noise in the playoffs. Teams like Tampa Bay are not held on a pedestal by the media for their single cup but they still are talking about the Rangers' single cup in greatest sports moments??? Media shafts many teams. History will forget about single cup wins - A team has to win 2 in a row or 2 out of 3 - 3 out of 5 etc...

When I look at who has been the best team post Edmonton Dynasty I think of New Jersey and Detroit foremost then Colorado - Pittsburgh - Other than that the other cups have been slid under the carpet in my opinion.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post

I did feel this way actually. I sad it in more then one thread. i feel that we can Finish 6th overall

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Makel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I did feel this way actually. I sad it in more then one thread. i feel that we can Finish 6th overall
I think many of us felt we were CAPABLE of finishing 6th overall, but it's just in our culture to expect that we wouldn't.

I think it's just releiving to actually see the team doing it for once. It'd be nice if we could grab the division and get some playoff chants on how the worldwide media could KISS OUR *****.

Oh, and wouldn't it be sweet if we made the playoffs and before the games the Isles played something on the jumbotron where they quote all the media predicting us to finish last? God the place would go nuts.

Makel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:25 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyymt62 View Post
Maybe a better way to compare would be points per game?
1 - Buffalo : 1.65
2 - New Jersey : 1.32
3 - Montreal : 1.32
4 - Toronto : 1.24
5 - Atlanta : 1.23
6 - Carolina : 1.23
7 - Islanders : 1.17
8 - Pittsburgh : 1.12
9 - Washington : 1.10
10 - Rangers : 1.10

This way, there are no assumptions. Hopefully the Isles can take advantage of the games in hand though.
This is really really interesting and thanks for doing all the work for taking the time to do the math. It would be cool if websites like ESPN and sportlines put this type of standing and the normal standings next to eachother.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:33 PM
islanderfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makel View Post
Oh, and wouldn't it be sweet if we made the playoffs and before the games the Isles played something on the jumbotron where they quote all the media predicting us to finish last? God the place would go nuts.
that would be great

islanderfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Zarley Z

good article on thn.com

here's some of that recognition from the canadian media we were looking for:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news...p?xml=h112023A

"I'm not surprised where they are," added Maurice. "You take away their start and they're one of the best teams in the NHL." -Paul Marice

Zarley Z is offline   Reply With Quote