HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray may be lost to FA!

Old
11-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Cristobal Huet

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cristobal Huet
Souray may be lost to FA!

CANADIENS COULD LOSE SOURAY TO FREE AGENCY.

MONTREAL GAZETTE: Red Fisher yesterday reported high-scoring Canadiens defenceman Sheldon Souray could prove too expensive to re-sign. Fisher writes that if Souray remains healthy and continues his offensive production he'll be pursued by several teams if he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer. With Andrei Markov and Craig Rivet also eligible for UFA status, the Canadiens simply may not be able to afford to keep him.

Spector's Note: I've been of the opinion since last summer that if the Habs have to choose, they'll re-sign Markov and Rivet and cut Souray loose. Don't forget, the big guy's young daughter lives in LA with his ex-wife, and there's been talk that he'd prefer to sign with a California-based team in order to be close to her. I don't believe the Canadiens will shop Souray before the deadline if he continues playing well and the club's in playoff contention.

Cristobal Huet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Artyukhin*

just wont be only Souray .

sad if he does decide to leave we get nothing in return .

on the other hand there will be other great quailty free agents looking for a home .

welcome to the New Nhl .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Captain Saku

so we would be like the Sens situation last summer when they had to chose between Chara and Redden. Now we have to chose between Markov and Souray!

Whatever happens I hope our choice will be the right one !

When Souray plays his best hockey I like him more than Markov but Markov is more consistent and you know what he's going to bring on every game !

Howevewer either we lose one or the other, our power play will strugle next year since they are very important elements on the PP !

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuCKoivu View Post
so we would be like the Sens situation last summer when they had to chose between Chara and Redden. Now we have to chose between Markov and Souray!

Whatever happens I hope our choice will be the right one !

When Souray plays his best hockey I like him more than Markov but Markov is more consistent and you know what he's going to bring on every game !

Howevewer either we lose one or the other, our power play will strugle next year since they are very important elements on the PP !

what happens of Markov doesnt want to resign ?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
then we sign Souray... and if both dont want to re-sing then I'm going to pitch myself from the Jacques-Cartier bridge !

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:22 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't understand why you're posting this like it's earth-shattering news...I think everybody here is aware of Markov/Rivet/Souray's impending UFA status and how difficult it would be to re-sign all three.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
MONTREAL GAZETTE: Red Fisher yesterday reported high-scoring Canadiens defenceman Sheldon Souray could prove too expensive to re-sign. Fisher writes that if Souray remains healthy and continues his offensive production he'll be pursued by several teams if he becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer. With Andrei Markov and Craig Rivet also eligible for UFA status, the Canadiens simply may not be able to afford to keep him.
Wow, it's agood thing Red Fisher is here to explain these things to us, we wouldn't want to remain ignorant.
I love Red, he always has great insight, and he's seen everybody play. Unfortunatly, once in a while he writes something that's not quite up to par with his own standards.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:29 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand why you're posting this like it's earth-shattering news...I think everybody here is aware of Markov/Rivet/Souray's impending UFA status and how difficult it would be to re-sign all three.
And dont forget Niinimaa .

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:33 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Who's this now?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
I think we all agree tha Niinima's salary = Markov's raise. Approximatly.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Talent Analyst

With Higgins , Souray , Markov , Ryder , Rivet who have to resign ....

Hope wel'll have the money for sign them all

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:39 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Especially since we didn't get him any help on D in the offseason. I think Markov AND Souray are both gone and we'll re-sign Rivet cheap and have to get a UFA since we didn't sign one last summer.

Emelin-Komisarek
Bouillon-Rivet
Streit-Dandenault
Cote

lol

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Turbo

Season is long and a lot can happen... Of course they will have to want to sign here. But then there's always the possibility to move Kovalev and/or Samsonov to make space, especially if they don't pick up their games. We'll see. It's too early to try to figure out the best way to go.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I don't think that Souray is worth the kind of cash that he'll want. If Gainey can get him for anything between two and three million per year, then fine; if he wants more, trade him at the deadline.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I don't think that Souray is worth the kind of cash that he'll want. If Gainey can get him for anything between two and three million per year, then fine; if he wants more, trade him at the deadline.
I'd like to have Souray for a playoff run.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:05 PM
vcx*

Doesn't matter what anyone here thinks what he deserves and what not. On the open market, he could ask for 4+ easily, and Markov could also be lost and seriously just the thought of that is giving me a stomach ache.

This is where you really really really pray loyalties come into play and if either have any to the team. One could wish (recent memory of UFA d-men shows me bad things).

The best thing i can see is Markov asking for double his pay which isn't bad at 3m, but Souray is pretty much gone after the season is over, just have that feeling he's not going to stay and if he does his demands will be too high.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I'd like to have Souray for a playoff run.
Me too, but let's be honest with ourselves: will having Sheldon in the lineup make the difference between a long run and an early exit? I don't think it will, and if he wouldn't be back for sure, it might not hurt to flip him elsewhere. Maybe Bob could get a more mobile d-man who's better at full strength.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

The best thing i can see is Markov asking for double his pay which isn't bad at 3m, but Souray is pretty much gone after the season is over, just have that feeling he's not going to stay and if he does his demands will be too high.
3mil! If he keeps producing like he does, he's going to get Kaberle like money, that's what he's worth and that's what the team should give him in a second. He's the real deal and should be the no1 priority NOW.

Rivet is a good defensive d-man and has a lot of leadership, but skill wise, he's not a great lost.

Souray will probably be to expensive.

It goes like this: Markov's a keeper... Rivet or Souray depends on the cap and the availability of a great scoring center...

Ryder btw...gone!!! And I don't want a hear any of these "30-goals-scorer" arguments because any guy with a bit of talent can score that much with Koivu as a center (Remember Savage, same player...the team has plenty of better, younger and cheaper options).

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:21 PM
saskhab

Tomas Kaberle signed early last winter and got $4.25 m a year. If he had waited until summer, I'm sure he could've commanded around $5m. Kim Johnsson got $4.05m. Jay McKee got $4m. I think Markov's better than all 3 of these guys, although I'd consider Kaberle a more than adequate replacement in theory.

Markov is not being signed for less than $4m a year. I would not be surprised if he commanded Koivu money.

When you consider that we are paying about $3.5m for our 3rd D pairing, we are definitely going to be able to re-sign all 3 of our UFA D. But I don't think we can afford to go without Markov. There are only a handful of D in the league that are better than him at both ends of the rink.

That being said, for right now, we've got a very good group of D. Streit might very well be the best #7 d-man in the NHL. We have a luxury right now and we might have a deep enough D core to make a good run in the playoffs. We should ride it out.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve The Habs Fan View Post
CANADIENS COULD LOSE SOURAY TO FREE AGENCY.

Spector's Note: I've been of the opinion since last summer that if the Habs have to choose, they'll re-sign Markov and Rivet and cut Souray loose. Don't forget, the big guy's young daughter lives in LA with his ex-wife, and there's been talk that he'd prefer to sign with a California-based team in order to be close to her. I don't believe the Canadiens will shop Souray before the deadline if he continues playing well and the club's in playoff contention.
Has anyone else noticed that Rivet and Markov have been playing together a lot more lately. They play the PP and the PK together now as well as the odd regular shift. Maybe BG has talked with Carbo already about what they have planned.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
exactly. We have already discussed this matter in many other threads. My pick out of the 3 are Markov and Souray. souray can bring what rivet brings + the offense and Booming Shot.

there is no doubt we need Souray more than Rivet.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Me too, but let's be honest with ourselves: will having Sheldon in the lineup make the difference between a long run and an early exit?.
Yes, it would make a big difference. Souray has been a big part of our team's success this year.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 10:35 PM
White Snake*

Here in WInnipeg we had this writer for the Free Press who every once in awhile would write an article of old news, kinda like the one Fisher just wrote. Then the writer was finally nailed for copying articles that other writers from teh states had written months before. Maybe Red got lazy.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Habbadasher

I think most of us would prefer Markov and Souray, but we will have to settle for Markov and Rivet at best.

Rivet should be able to had at a reasonable price, but Markov and Souray will be looking for serious $$$.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
I would not be against looking around what Souray and Plekanec could get us at the deadline. Like it's been said Souray price tag will probaly be too high for us if we want to keep Markov. Getting a Rob Blake for a playoff run would be huge.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote