HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pavel Brendl Questions and Updates

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Habs33

vCash: 500
Pavel Brendl Updates and Questions

I'm curious to know what you think his NHL potential is?
Can the canes get anything good for him?
Is he even trying to make the team?
where can i get news about this guy?

Last edited by Vagrant: 12-13-2003 at 07:44 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 03:26 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs33
I'm curious to know what you think his NHL potential is?
Can the canes get anything good for him?
Is he even trying to make the team?
where can i get news about this guy?

I think Brendl can become a good NHL player but I would like to see him spend a whole year in the minors. He is currently leading the LockMonsters in points at 16 in only 13 games. Patience will be the key with him, though Brendl was drafted a while ago he has reletively limited professional experience. He is getting that experience now and should be better for it.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:19 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesFan10
I think Brendl can become a good NHL player but I would like to see him spend a whole year in the minors. He is currently leading the LockMonsters in points at 16 in only 13 games. Patience will be the key with him, though Brendl was drafted a while ago he has reletively limited professional experience. He is getting that experience now and should be better for it.
He's lazy as hell and i'm glad to Flyers got rid of him. Way over rated. I do not see the passion in this guy and I doubt highly that he will ever play permanently in the NHL, he's a career AHL'er in my opinion.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:38 AM
jeffbear

Brendl's got NHL skills, and NHL body and a questionable work ethic.

It all boils down to how bad he wants it at some point.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Well, I think Brendl might have finally turned himself around. He's putting up points at a very nice pace in the AHL for the first time in his career. I"m hoping he's decided that hockey is what he wants to do with his life.

Old
12-12-2003, 07:40 AM
MaLockFan

20 game opinion

I think most of what's been written about Brendl is true to some degree. When he wants to work, he's a great player but he decides to take time off he's and he's pretty bad..

He's much much better when the talent around him is good as opposed to being a teacher with the kids.

He's got a knack for taking stupid penalties because of his arrogance.

He's got all the tools and no toolbox.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:16 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
He's putting up points at a very nice pace in the AHL for the first time in his career.
For the first time in his career? Prior to this season, he has only played 64 regular season games at the AHL level in which he earned 37 points. Pretty solid for a first year pro, I would say.

Not saying this to you, but to people in general. People are very quick to label him a bust, but in reality he has very limited experience at the professional level. He has played 58 games at the NHL level, and 83 at the AHL level. At only 22 years of age, I think he still has plenty of time to prove himself. And so far, I'd say he's on a good path to do so.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Skydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
For the first time in his career? Prior to this season, he has only played 64 regular season games at the AHL level in which he earned 37 points. Pretty solid for a first year pro, I would say.

Not saying this to you, but to people in general. People are very quick to label him a bust, but in reality he has very limited experience at the professional level. He has played 58 games at the NHL level, and 83 at the AHL level. At only 22 years of age, I think he still has plenty of time to prove himself. And so far, I'd say he's on a good path to do so.

Thank You, somebody else noticed that he hasn't played a significant amount of hockey outside of Juniors. He hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself and as of now has 19 points (9g, 10a) in 19 games. Lets wait and see before labeling him anything whether that be a great prospect or a bust.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:

Well, I wasn't implying either way that he was a bust or not. I was just saying that there are players far and wide that can put up 37 points in 64 games in the AHL. This is just the first time Brendl has posted a point per game on that level. It was a pretty harmless comment really, just showing that he is in fact making progress.

Also, i'm on the side of the fence that thinks Brendl has the potential to be a fine scorer in this league.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Well, I wasn't implying either way that he was a bust or not.
I know.. I stated that the comments I made weren't directed at you, but instead to people in general.

Quote:
This is just the first time Brendl has posted a point per game on that level. It was a pretty harmless comment really, just showing that he is in fact making progress.
"For the first time in his career" kind of caught me a bit off guard, that's all. It's not like he's had several chances to do so yet. That's all I was getting at.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
"For the first time in his career" kind of caught me a bit off guard, that's all. It's not like he's had several chances to do so yet. That's all I was getting at.
I understand that totally. In fact, I honestly thought Brendl had more AHL experience than he did. Upon checking hockeydb, he's only had one real season where he even played any significant amount of time in the AHL. Having been drafted in '99, I thought he would have had at least 2 or 3 seasons of pro hockey under his belt. He's just been shifted around from NHL team to NHL team without being given any time to develop at the AHL level. I think he has been handled badly. He still has quite the future if you ask me.

Old
12-12-2003, 06:37 PM
Plan 9

Lowell lost 3-2 tonight to Portland..

But..

Brendl assisted on both goals.

YEAR TEAM GP G A PTS +/- PIM PP SH GW SHOTS SPCT
2003/2004 Lowell 20 9 12 21 -2 22 1 0 1 48 .188

Looking good.

Old
12-13-2003, 06:17 AM
Habs33

Ok, well we can all agree that there is no questioning this kid's talent.
Only his desire to make to the next level. There are alot of 18-22's year old prospects who show the desire to develop in the NHL as opposed to the AHL. Why cuase they sacrifice their forwards skills to learn to play and iron out their defensive play so that they can stck around in the nhl.

Weiss, Horton, Sedins....just to name a few. Brendl had this chance a couple of times wjich could have led him to stay on a 4th or 3rd line alittle more often in the past and I guess He choose not to, with his play.

I agree that he has a great future if he ver does develop, but once again he must have that desire to, no matter where he finds himself playing for the time being. IMO the jury is still out on this guy.

one question: why haven't the canes brought him up, to speed up the process?
ans: defensive liability.

Old
12-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs33
one question: why haven't the canes brought him up, to speed up the process?
ans: defensive liability.
Well, if you are expecting Brendl to ever be a excellent defensive player it's just not going to happen. If he finds a niche in the NHL, it will be for scoring goals not stopping them.

I think it's best that Brendl play in one place for the majority of the season and in this case it is the AHL. He needs to get some experience and more importantly, I believe, he needs to get some confidence.

I'd like to see him get a late season callup and see if he can translate some of his success that he's been having at the AHL level, to the NHL level.

Old
12-13-2003, 07:40 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Well, if you are expecting Brendl to ever be a excellent defensive player it's just not going to happen. If he finds a niche in the NHL, it will be for scoring goals not stopping them.

I think it's best that Brendl play in one place for the majority of the season and in this case it is the AHL. He needs to get some experience and more importantly, I believe, he needs to get some confidence.

I'd like to see him get a late season callup and see if he can translate some of his success that he's been having at the AHL level, to the NHL level.
Exactly. I mean, if you were told every day at your job that you were going to be the next great whatever wouldn't that get a little tiresome? If you start listening to the hype about youreself too much you're going to start believing it sooner or later. Brendl apparently came in thinking that he was the cat's meow and just didn't work hard enough to back that up. I think that he has finally realized that sucess on the pro level isn't going to come as painless as it did on the junior level. The best thing for Brendl right now is a full year at any given place to grow accustomed to playing in the same arenas over and over. He has been tossed up and down his whole entire pro career so far and thats not exactly been the best thing for a prospect that has the level of talent that Brendl has. As far as pure talent alone goes, Brendl is probably top 5 as far as players that aren't in the NHL and thats a pretty bold statement considering the Crosbys and Ovechekins of the world. If he can get through a full year at Lowell and post 70-80 points, I don't see why he wouldn't start next year energized and ready to play for the Hurricanes. a 30-35 goal AHL season is just what the doctor ordered for a kid who hasn't put the puck in the net on a regular basis since his junior days. I'm not sure how many of you guys saw this, but in the young stars game a few years back with Kovlachuk, Brendl scored an amazing goal against either Luongo or Blackburn. That is the type of thing that i'm looking forward to seeing out of him. It was a super hard angle shot and Brendl just put it in like it was routine. I was impressed. At the time he was a flyer and I said under my breath that if we had a kid like that i'd be excited to read the box scores of the lockmonsters. It came true a little later and i've been excited ever since. I've already seen people claming that Vanek has a downside of Pavel Brendl. That is almost laughable. Here we are comparing a 23-year old kid to a player coming up in a negative light. Brendl just had expectations placed on him that shouldn't ever be placed on a hockey player as young as he was. Now that he is somewhat out of the spotlight in a market that isn't as ravenous, yet, about hockey; he should continue to thrive and become the player that everyone thought he could be coming into the '99 draft.

Old
12-13-2003, 07:42 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I'm making this thread a sticky because it seems like a lot of people want to talk about Brendl or make updates. This will be the place to do it.

Old
12-13-2003, 03:25 PM
WoodGundy

The only thing I know is if I could take back Kapanen and Bast for St. Jacques and Brendl, I wouldn't.

Old
12-14-2003, 07:16 AM
Habs33

Quote:

no one is expecting Brendl to be a defensiver player, even a good one at that. What I meant is that if he ants to make it in the NHL and put big ice-time numbers he will need to learn how to be responsible defensively like all the stars before him did.

Modano, Lecavalier, Kovulchuk, they were all benched at one point or another in thier carrer while they were leading the league in scoring, for being a -10 in 4 games...Modano (his first 3-4yrs, he praises Hitchkok for teaching him defense) Lecavalier, 2 yrs ago, and Kovulchuk 2 years ago, just to name a few....each of these players are now leading their teams "al la" Joe Sakic/S Yzerman mode....Heatly will be the next.

Of course Brendl is not a Center, but even wingers make their bones this way in the NHL, just not as noticeable.

I for one still think he can do it, amnd am excied to see him play soon I hope.

Old
12-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Plan 9

Lowell lost 3-2 again last night to Providence.

Brendl did get a goal and also registered six shots.

GP: 21
G: 10
A: 12
PTS: 22
+/-: -2
PIM: 22
PPG: 1
SHG: 0
GWG: 1
SOG: 54
SPCT: 18.5%

Old
12-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
PPG: 1
That's the important number as far as i'm concerned. Brendl isn't inflating his stats by scoring in large amounts on the powerplay. No matter which pro level you're playing on, 5 on 5 goals take work and they take effort. If Brendl is finally exhibiting both, we're in good shape as far as his development goes. 9- 5 on 5 goals in 21 games is a stat that i'm quite comfortable with.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Averaging better then a point a game is something that I'm even more comfortable with. This season is looking to be the steping stone for a possibly great career for him, as I don't see Brendl being the eternal AHL/IHL star player that Rob Brown was. This guy is still very young, VERY tallented, and I for one think that he will be putting up around 30 goals a year in the NHL when his time comes and he's ready to take his game to the next level.

Old
12-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Habs33

Again, I don't tjink anyone here is questioning his Talent, its more his desire.

The NHL is a HUGE jump and Talent is only the 1/2 of it, unless your Jagr,Lemieux who could have broken gretzky's records if they had desire to. but that's for another topic.

By being drafted 4th overall if he didn't have the talent. But I think he was rushed by teams who couldn't afford the patience. I think the Canes can and will.

Old
12-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Brendl scored a goal and added an assist in last night's 4-3 win over Springfield.

GP: 24
G: 11
A: 13
P: 24

Still looking good as Lowell's leading scorer.

Old
12-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Brendl scored a goal and added an assist in last night's 4-3 win over Springfield.

GP: 24
G: 11
P: 24

Still looking good as Lowell's leading scorer.
Another big game this afternoon in a 3-3 tie with the P-Bruins.

Brendl scored all...three...goals. +3 as well.

GP: 25
G: 14
P: 27

Old
12-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Also, that makes 4G 1A in his last two games. He's as hot as a firecracker. We sure could use that level of production on the pro club.

Closed Thread