HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Exposed Tonite!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Harry Paratestes

vCash:
Oilers Exposed Tonite!!!

I think the Oilers were exposed for what they really are tonite .A non playoff sub 500 squad that isnt even close to playing with the big boys .We the fans and the media can blow smoke up the Oilers butts but lets face facts ..we aint makin the dance this year .The Flames are better than us ..we are like Comrie ..hit our peak and arent improving ..were on a plain to mediocrity .This is as good as we will ever get .Time to face facts .

Old
11-26-2003, 07:30 PM
zamboni

vCash: 500
Look, under the bridge! It's a TROLL.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:30 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What a first post......

Old
11-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
What a first post......
Hey, don't laugh! Your first few posts here weren't exactly all flowers and sunshine either.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Hey, don't laugh! Your first few posts here weren't exactly all flowers and sunshine either.
My intermittent insanity is amusing and you all know it!

Old
11-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
My intermittent insanity is amusing and you all know it!
Intermittent?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that...whatever gets you through the day.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:49 PM
Allan

At least he tries to pretend the insanity is reasonable.

I think that we at least deserve a better breed of troll - this guy didn't even pretend not to be one. At least, in his more troll-like moments, Mizral has a point to make (or at least tries to :p). What did we do to deserve such bad trolls?

Old
11-26-2003, 08:21 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
What did we do to deserve such bad trolls?
Maybe we're not feeding them properly.. :p

Old
11-27-2003, 04:01 AM
Harry Paratestes

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Look, under the bridge! It's a TROLL.
Call me what you want but prove my assessment wrong .Whats more Trollish ..to admit the truth or post in here how we are such a good team and if this happened and this team did this and this player did this ..we could win a Cup ..blah ..blah ..blah .
Thats the problem with your city ..the Oilers have the fans convinced that " you should be lucky " just to have a NHL team .I live near Vancouver and let me tell you in all honesty .Canuck fans arent happy with "just" making the playoffs .I hate when i wear my Ryan Smyth Oilers jersey to canuck games and i have to listen to ignorant Nucks fansask me "whos he gonna play for next year?" "why would you waste money on an Oiler jersey ..they never keep a guy long enough".
I think its time Oiler fans become more demanding ...the Flames pay Iginla 7.5 mill ..yet the Oil 3 mill seems the "goodbye" level .If the Flames and Canucks and Montreal can afford big ticket players ..why cant the Oilers .All the games are sold out ..you dont pay anymore taxes than Montreal or Vancouver or Calgary .So why the heck cant the Oil build a team like Vancouver has ????
I just find it frustrating ..i want to be a Cup contender ..not just hoping to make the playoffs and maybe steal a game ot two in the first round .If the Nucks turn a profit with their payroll ..please tell me how the Oilers arent making money hand over fist .
Come on Oiler fans ..lets start demanding something more than just being a .500 squad !!!!!!

Old
11-27-2003, 04:05 AM
Allan

Could a mod step in and close this thread before it gets out of hand, please? It's going to be an ugly flame war in a few hours if you don't, and I don't think anybody would enjoy that.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:14 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Could a mod step in and close this thread before it gets out of hand, please? It's going to be an ugly flame war in a few hours if you don't, and I don't think anybody would enjoy that.
What's this? We don't want to hear opposing views? Maybe you can publish a manifesto so we all know what the "allowed correct thoughts" are?

Old
11-27-2003, 04:17 AM
Allan

I just see this as one of the threads which will, and already has begun to, degenerate into name-calling, with no views being expressed. You can feel free to disagree with my view on that, as on anything else. I didn't say that he isn't free to have a different opinion, I just get very annoyed when this board becomes a flame war. I have no interest in preventing the expression of conflicting views.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:20 AM
Oilers Hockey

At first I saw this poster as ANOTHER Calgary troll, but I do think he's an Oiler fan who is so pissed off about last nights game that he is giving up on the team.

Dude, the Oilers are good. They're not great, but good enough to get a playoff berth. Yah we were blown out of the water but what can you do? LEts hope the boys get a bag skate again...or something.

Old
11-27-2003, 05:32 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
At first I saw this poster as ANOTHER Calgary troll, but I do think he's an Oiler fan who is so pissed off about last nights game that he is giving up on the team.

Dude, the Oilers are good. They're not great, but good enough to get a playoff berth. Yah we were blown out of the water but what can you do? LEts hope the boys get a bag skate again...or something.
I think the hard skate berore the game was the problem. I don't think another hard skate would be fair. Working on the pp and pk would be a far more effecient use of practice time.

Last edited by The Rage: 11-27-2003 at 05:44 AM.
Old
11-27-2003, 05:43 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Paratestes
Call me what you want but prove my assessment wrong .Whats more Trollish ..to admit the truth or post in here how we are such a good team and if this happened and this team did this and this player did this ..we could win a Cup ..blah ..blah ..blah .
Thats the problem with your city ..the Oilers have the fans convinced that " you should be lucky " just to have a NHL team .I live near Vancouver and let me tell you in all honesty .Canuck fans arent happy with "just" making the playoffs .I hate when i wear my Ryan Smyth Oilers jersey to canuck games and i have to listen to ignorant Nucks fansask me "whos he gonna play for next year?" "why would you waste money on an Oiler jersey ..they never keep a guy long enough".
I think its time Oiler fans become more demanding ...the Flames pay Iginla 7.5 mill ..yet the Oil 3 mill seems the "goodbye" level .If the Flames and Canucks and Montreal can afford big ticket players ..why cant the Oilers .All the games are sold out ..you dont pay anymore taxes than Montreal or Vancouver or Calgary .So why the heck cant the Oil build a team like Vancouver has ????
I just find it frustrating ..i want to be a Cup contender ..not just hoping to make the playoffs and maybe steal a game ot two in the first round .If the Nucks turn a profit with their payroll ..please tell me how the Oilers arent making money hand over fist .
Come on Oiler fans ..lets start demanding something more than just being a .500 squad !!!!!!
I think if you spent enough time on this message board, you would realize that most of the people here do demand more than .500 hockey, and aren't satisfied with making the playoffs every year. However, unlike you, we are realistic and realize that the Oilers have incredible financial constraints, so we mute our criticism (atleast some of us do).

The Flames do pay Iginla 7 million dollars a year, but thats because Iginla is far and away their best player and the fans would stop going to games in droves if he were traded. The Calgary Flames simply could not absorb the loss Iginla. Contrast that to the Doug Weight sitiuation. After Doug Weight was traded, we still had a 90+ point season. When's the last time the Flames had a 90+ point season even with Iginla in the season. For the Oilers, it just does not make financial success to pay one guy that much money. Its not as if the Flames have been more successful with their approach.

Yes all the games are sold out, put you fail to factor in TICKET PRICES. The Edmoton Oilers have reached critical mass with their ticket prices. Any substantial increase would result in a huge drop in attendence.

Why are you comparing us to Montreal and Calgary? We've had far more recent success than either of those teams, so I hardly think it would be wise if we tried to emulate their hockey decisions. If anything, they should follow what we've been doing.

Old
11-27-2003, 06:02 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I think if you spent enough time on this message board, you would realize that most of the people here do demand more than .500 hockey, and aren't satisfied with making the playoffs every year. However, unlike you, we are realistic and realize that the Oilers have incredible financial constraints, so we mute our criticism (atleast some of us do).

The Flames do pay Iginla 7 million dollars a year, but thats because Iginla is far and away their best player and the fans would stop going to games in droves if he were traded. The Calgary Flames simply could not absorb the loss Iginla. Contrast that to the Doug Weight sitiuation. After Doug Weight was traded, we still had a 90+ point season. When's the last time the Flames had a 90+ point season even with Iginla in the season. For the Oilers, it just does not make financial success to pay one guy that much money. Its not as if the Flames have been more successful with their approach.

Yes all the games are sold out, put you fail to factor in TICKET PRICES. The Edmoton Oilers have reached critical mass with their ticket prices. Any substantial increase would result in a huge drop in attendence.

Why are you comparing us to Montreal and Calgary? We've had far more recent success than either of those teams, so I hardly think it would be wise if we tried to emulate their hockey decisions. If anything, they should follow what we've been doing.
Ya, to call Calgary better is rather funny. We all understand the new guys pain about not being able to move forward with the team, but our goal isn't this year, or next year, it's for 3-4 years down the road. This team is following a GREAT plan, and because we get blown out one game all of a sudden the Canadiens and Flames (also know as "losers" around the league) are better then us and have the right approach?? C'mon - if this is how fickle you are then I'm scared if this board gets many more of the sort.

Old
11-27-2003, 10:21 AM
OYLer

Quote:
This mental disorder is so sad because some truth lays at its root cause!

Old
11-27-2003, 11:04 AM
Walsher

Quote:
I will guarantee you this team will make the playoffs, finish at least 10 points ahead of Calgary, and finish with a minimum of 93 points. This is the best team in this city for quite a few years now. Everyone is contributing (with the exception of few), and other than the past 3 games the season has been going quite well. Maybe you haven't been watching way out in Vancouver, but the Oilers have been one of the hottest teams in the league. This without their most consistent player for the first 15 games (Reasoner) and prior to the addition of Oates. If Anaheim was a contender last year their is no doubt the Oilers have a chance (as slim as it may be). Have you been to an Oilers game this year? I have been to 9 home games and other than a couple they have not dissapointed. They have beaten Colorado, tied Detroit, beaten the Leafs, been very close to beating BOston and St. Louis, and with the exception of a couple games all year they have been in every game. Keep in mind they haven't had a ton of games against the San Jose's, Minnesota's, Pheonix's ect of the Western Conference. This team will comptete no matter how badly you feel based on a lone 7-1 loss. If you really are this pissed off maybe you should sell the Smyth jersey and cheer for Vancouver - bandwagon jumper!

Old
11-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I will guarantee you this team will make the playoffs, finish at least 10 points ahead of Calgary, and finish with a minimum of 93 points. This is the best team in this city for quite a few years now. Everyone is contributing (with the exception of few), and other than the past 3 games the season has been going quite well. Maybe you haven't been watching way out in Vancouver, but the Oilers have been one of the hottest teams in the league. This without their most consistent player for the first 15 games (Reasoner) and prior to the addition of Oates. If Anaheim was a contender last year their is no doubt the Oilers have a chance (as slim as it may be). Have you been to an Oilers game this year? I have been to 9 home games and other than a couple they have not dissapointed. They have beaten Colorado, tied Detroit, beaten the Leafs, been very close to beating BOston and St. Louis, and with the exception of a couple games all year they have been in every game. Keep in mind they haven't had a ton of games against the San Jose's, Minnesota's, Pheonix's ect of the Western Conference. This team will comptete no matter how badly you feel based on a lone 7-1 loss. If you really are this pissed off maybe you should sell the Smyth jersey and cheer for Vancouver - bandwagon jumper!
What I don't get is that, yes, the Oilers were shelled last night. No doubt about it. They sucked, period. It happens to every teams once and while. I mean, I had an idea what kind of night it was going to be after the second goal.

It didn't take long for the numb skulls to come out and say the Oilers suck and they won't make the playoffs, and it was a reality check, etc...Whether you lose 2-1 or 4-1 or 7-1, a loss is a loss. Hey, I also believe the Oilers will make the playoffs. They may not finish 5 or 6th, but I think they have a real good chance at 7th...

Considering the Oilers have a piss poor PP, awful PK, and last in faceoffs, people need to look where they are in the standings. If these 3 areas could be address, and Oates will only help, I have a hard time thinking the Oilers won't make the playoffs. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know hockey or the Oilers and is stupid.

Old
11-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Master Lok

Big deal 7-1. Its one loss. Its the first big dumper of the season for the Oil (ok aside from losing to the Flames). Sometimes it happens. 2-1, or 7-1, I see it as a loss.

Mind you, if it happens again, then we have something to really talk about.

Old
11-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
What I don't get is that, yes, the Oilers were shelled last night. No doubt about it. They sucked, period. It happens to every teams once and while. I mean, I had an idea what kind of night it was going to be after the second goal.

It didn't take long for the numb skulls to come out and say the Oilers suck and they won't make the playoffs, and it was a reality check, etc...Whether you lose 2-1 or 4-1 or 7-1, a loss is a loss. Hey, I also believe the Oilers will make the playoffs. They may not finish 5 or 6th, but I think they have a real good chance at 7th...

Considering the Oilers have a piss poor PP, awful PK, and last in faceoffs, people need to look where they are in the standings. If these 3 areas could be address, and Oates will only help, I have a hard time thinking the Oilers won't make the playoffs. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know hockey or the Oilers and is stupid.
Wow. This is pretty harsh, Nostrin.

I think that this post is a huge overreaction, and the Oilers are not so bad as to be a team that's blown out often. I personally do not think the Oilers will make the playoffs though, but I do think it'll be close. I would be pretty shocked if the Oilers ended up below, say, 12th spot in the Conference, but I don't think thinking the Oilers will make it in the 9 - 12 spot makes someone know 'nothing about hockey' and is stupid.

Many hockey publications picked the Oilers to miss the playoffs, for instance. Do they know nothing about hockey and are they stupid? No. They just have another opinion on the subject.

I think what you said there in the last paragraph is just as silly as the original poster on the thread. The Oilers are not 'sure things' to make the playoffs this year, nor are they 'sure things' to miss it.

Old
11-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Harry Paratestes

vCash:
"Why are you comparing us to Montreal and Calgary? We've had far more recent success than either of those teams, so I hardly think it would be wise if we tried to emulate their hockey decisions. If anything, they should follow what we've been doing.[/QUOTE]"

Yes i am an Oiler fan ..became one in the early 80s when they were winning Cups .Thats why i find it so laughable that making the playoffs is the bench mark the Oilers seek .
Why would Vancouver and other teams emulate what the Oilers are doing ?What have the Oilers accomplished since the last Cup win?
Listen i know they will never be the Rangers , wings and Lanche when it comes to throwing around $$$$ but come on ..there must be more in the bank than what we are getting now .Does anyone in this forum really belive that Smyth , Smith , Brewer ,Hemsky , York will end their careers as Oilers ??????
Are we that much poorer than the Canucks ??Yet they sign their key players .I dfont know , maybe i am over reacting to a bad lickin ..but i am sick and tired of just being content with chasing the 8 th playoff spot . Maybe it is time to hand in the Smitty jersey and jump on the Canucks bandwagon as some friendly Oiler fan suggested ..it wouldnt be hard .While Canuck fans look forward to anothe Cup run ..i am looking forward to my team qualifying and maybe ..maybe win a game or two in the first round .From stanley Cups to qualifying ..woopee !!!!!!Go Oilers Go!!!!!

I am not saying that I or we should stop cheering for our beloved Oilers but i am saying that its time we DEMAND more from ownership and management .I think there is money being made and there is money to increase the budget to help get us to the next level .Thats all i look for is an honest effort to compete .

Last edited by Harry Paratestes: 11-27-2003 at 03:09 PM.

Old
11-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Lowetide

Come on, you're an OILER fan, that's like being pick of the litter. I too long for the days when the Oilers used to score 4 before my first beer was a dead soldier, but those days are gone. We're left with a promising young group of players and a promise from the NHL that things will get better.

I cheer for the Canucks, because they deserve a winner and Vancouver fans have put up with alot of crap (the NHL expansion was a royal screw for the Canucks, and the Oilers came in with Gretzky. Huge freaking difference, and no fault of the Canucks or their fans).

If the Canucks or Sens win this year I'll cheer loudly, because it tells me that a Canadian team CAN win in today's NHL, and the NHL of tomorrow.

Last night's loss is a basically a fart bubble on a mighty stream.

Last edited by Lowetide: 11-27-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old
11-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

Oilers have been doing well as of recently. Last night's game was extremely poor, awful on just about all accounts and painful to watch. It was only one game. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near the panic button. I would look for a good rebound game from them tomorrow night. Last night's game is over and done with.

Old
11-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Wow. This is pretty harsh, Nostrin.

I think that this post is a huge overreaction, and the Oilers are not so bad as to be a team that's blown out often. I personally do not think the Oilers will make the playoffs though, but I do think it'll be close. I would be pretty shocked if the Oilers ended up below, say, 12th spot in the Conference, but I don't think thinking the Oilers will make it in the 9 - 12 spot makes someone know 'nothing about hockey' and is stupid.

Many hockey publications picked the Oilers to miss the playoffs, for instance. Do they know nothing about hockey and are they stupid? No. They just have another opinion on the subject.

I think what you said there in the last paragraph is just as silly as the original poster on the thread. The Oilers are not 'sure things' to make the playoffs this year, nor are they 'sure things' to miss it.
Hey Mizral, do you even read a post before you respond to it? Maybe you should try it.

That was my point. The Oilers got blown away. There is no other way around the issue. They came out flat and did not keep up with Detroit on Wednesday night. I did not overreact. A loss is a loss no matter what the score is. I merely said that we should NOT read too much into this loss even though it was 7-1...The Oilers are not as bad as the score reflected. I'm not being a homer, just logic.

If the Oilers lose 4-1, it's just a loss., nothing more nothing less. The lose 7-1, it's the end of the world, the Oilers were brought down to earth. C'mon. That's overreacting my friend.

As far as you and I disagreeing about the Oilers making the playoffs, you say it will be close but they won't make it, I say it will be close but they will make it. Essentially, we're arguing about one or two seeds in the conference. I have better things to argue about.

You think the Oilers won't make the playoffs, fine. I would expect that from you and I respect your opinion. I think they have a good enough team to make it. That doesn't mean I think they'll win the Cup. I realize your precious Canucks are better than Edmonton and the odds of them winning it all are alot better.

Facts are facts: The Oilers are in the playoffs as were speak and they are dead last or close to dead last in 2 important categories: special teams and faceoffs. By your train of thought, if the Oilers improve in these categories, that will cause them to miss the playoffs? Geez, I hope the Adam Oates experiement is a failure.

Last edited by Yanner39: 11-27-2003 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread