HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Zach Stortini recalled...

Old
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
RKD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
Good idea but Stortini was a total non-entity in TC and he can't skate at this level - not even close.
That's right. He also saw reduced minutes in the pre-season, that's saying something. Again, I question why Jacques wasn't the player in mind over Stortini...

11-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Good idea but Stortini was a total non-entity in TC and he can't skate at this level - not even close.
The question isn't whether he can skate at this level, but whether he can fight at this level. Stortini will never...NEVER...be anything more than a goon. He doesn't need to skate, nor take a regular shift. He just has to be able to beat people up. We have 11 forwards who can skate and none that can win a fight or keep other teams honest.

You notice it. Look at Torres when he hit Williams. Had there been a goon on the bench Torres wouldn't be as concerned about retaliation (I realise Detroit isn't a tough team, but consider other situations too). With a goon you can feel better about playing a physical game and the other team has to think twice about taking liberties with your team.

George Laraque and a dozen other guys can't skate "at this level" either.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOilersGo View Post
That's right. He also saw reduced minutes in the pre-season, that's saying something. Again, I question why Jacques wasn't the player in mind over Stortini...
I think it just shows that the team has more hope for Jacques than pure goonery. They want Jacques in the AHL playing a regular shift and developing an offensive game.

With Stortini, who cares. He's not going to become a better fighter in the AHL. Let him take up a spot and serve a purpose that he's meant to serve.

Old
11-20-2006, 04:08 PM
she11

Eh, I can't see the reasoning for it- but it's official now...

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/news/index.php?id=840

she11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I think it just shows that the team has more hope for Jacques than pure goonery. They want Jacques in the AHL playing a regular shift and developing an offensive game.

With Stortini, who cares. He's not going to become a better fighter in the AHL. Let him take up a spot and serve a purpose that he's meant to serve.
That's probably right, and they do have more hope for him. He played solid fourth line minutes in his few games this year, being able to produce with energy shifts and offensive opportunities every now and then as well; basically what a fourth liner is meant to do. In any case, it's better for him to be developing his game in the AHL rather than sitting in the pressbox during Oilers games.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:39 PM
goggog

unexpected

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:03 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Very confused. I mean, good for Zach, but I don't see why he would be brought up and MAP kept down.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
thegabe

Here's a GREAT article about Storts...

Might help explain the call-up a little bit. That and the fact we play the Lames tomorrow.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112274690756

thegabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOilersGo View Post
That's probably right, and they do have more hope for him. He played solid fourth line minutes in his few games this year, being able to produce with energy shifts and offensive opportunities every now and then as well; basically what a fourth liner is meant to do. In any case, it's better for him to be developing his game in the AHL rather than sitting in the pressbox during Oilers games.
Just my opinion, but you saw a lot more energy and offensive opportunities out of JFJ in those shifts than I ever did.

As for Zach, yay for him...but this only makes sense if he's only up here to eat popcorn for a week or so. After winning 4 of 5 games, why in the world would MacT put a talentless plugger who would donate a kidney if it meant he could skate half as well as Laraque can, into the lineup? Who would you take out, Thoresen? Petersen?

And it's not like he's some feared pugilistic devastation machine...at best he's this generation's Dennis Bonvie.

Thus, I think he's only here to shake some hands and make sure the refreshments have fresh ice in them.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:26 PM
USC Trojans
AD

with Stort's callup, I have a feeling more of our AHLers will be getting a cup of coffee with the big club either as a reward, or to give them some good experience and playing time.

I guess they're compensating for the lack of proper AHL playing time by giving them some NHL experience.

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
And it's not like he's some feared pugilistic devastation machine...at best he's this generation's Dennis Bonvie.
Where did this comment come from??? Have you seen him fight a number of times??? I honestly haven't, but he was the most feared fighter in the OHL as well as the #1 heavyweight there in his final season in the O. That doesn't mean that he'll be a Laraque, Boogard, etc., but I would assume that out-side of his loss to Goddard, that the kid should be able to chuck 'em at least a little.

11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
calvin

I want to add that Stortini is a smart boy, and may yet have some sort (albeit marginal) of career in the NHL.

As an 18 year old he was captain and academic of the year on the Sudbury wolves, and I'm sure that they scouted him well before drafting him. in 2003-4 he impressed in a short stint in the AHL. He has been working on his game for a bit more than a year now, which he definitely needs to do, but let's not completely sell him sort.

It seems to me that when he was the OHL heavyweight champ he was very impressive and was nastier on the ice than Gentleman Georges L has been in recent years.

I'd prefer to have the fighting done by committee, or by people like JFJ who have a higher upside, but I'm still cheering for Zack.

calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Poppycock! Stortini was very effective during training camp. He was playing a crash and bang game and mowing over everyone in his path. His skating is a bit lacking, but his game is tailor made for the 4th line forward role.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
It seems to me that when he was the OHL heavyweight champ he was very impressive and was nastier on the ice than Gentleman Georges L has been in recent years.

I'd prefer to have the fighting done by committee, or by people like JFJ who have a higher upside, but I'm still cheering for Zack.
I'd prefer having a true heavyweight fighting a true heavyweight. I'd rather see Stortini take a slight loss than a guy like Winchester, Jacques, or Greene getting jacked up by a guy who's only job is to fight. I still see Jacques as a borderline 2nd liner or a solid 3rd liner. Not a guy that you'd want to be fighting the Boogards and Laraques of the world regularly.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Where did this comment come from??? Have you seen him fight a number of times??? I honestly haven't, but he was the most feared fighter in the OHL as well as the #1 heavyweight there in his final season in the O. That doesn't mean that he'll be a Laraque, Boogard, etc., but I would assume that out-side of his loss to Goddard, that the kid should be able to chuck 'em at least a little.
Yeah, and Louie Debrusk was once the most feared fighter in the OHL too, whatever that's supposed to be worth at the NHL level.

I never said he couldn't fight, I did compare him to Bonvie after all. I've seen a fair amount of his fights, he's not bad. He'll win his share, and lose his share too.

Just don't expect the next Laraque when it comes to fighting, because he's far from that.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yeah, and Louie Debrusk was once the most feared fighter in the OHL too, whatever that's supposed to be worth at the NHL level.

I never said he couldn't fight, I did compare him to Bonvie after all. I've seen a fair amount of his fights, he's not bad. He'll win his share, and lose his share too.

Just don't expect the next Laraque when it comes to fighting, because he's far from that.
Maybe I'm missing the Bonvie comparison, because wasn't Bonvie's MO that he couldn't really dominate NHL fights or even win them regularly??? The OHL thing I agree with though, it means squat in the NHL. Besides isn't Storts only 21 or so??? Laraque wasn't Laraque at 21 either.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:12 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I'm really shocked that he got called up. I like the guy, a lot, but I don't know if he'll get any icetime. If he doesn't, then it's must be a call-up to get a second look at him...who knows.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Hemsky4PM

Let's look at this. Moreau got hurt in a freak insident because he thought he needed to "step-up" when Stoll got hit. Why do he and other regulars feel this need? Because there isn't a goon on the team who's job it is to give and take beatings when needed. With Stortini around (or any other straight up goon) guys like Greene, Smith, Staios, Torres and Winchester don't need to be too concerned about BS retributive stuff.

Now when a guy like Brashear comes around looking for a fight with your captain you don't have to have you're players backing down, you can have the guy who will at least show up and do it. He will have a singular purpose. Do I think it would be a tragedy for Petersen or Thoresen to sit a game here and there to insert Stortini to play 3 shifts and fight? No. Particularly at home games when a fight can get the crowd going and can swing momentum.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Bank Shot

Perhaps he got called up because Lowe and Mactavish are worried that the Oilers will get pushed around by Calgary.

I mean they just got outhit by Detroit! in their last game. Stortini can lead by example when it comes to laying the body. You just know that he'll go 110% every time he gets on the ice. He knows that's his only chance.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

Pfft...I highly doubt he draws in for tomorrow night's game with the Shames. Who's their tough guy these days Brandon Prust? I think Raffi could tune him if need be as well as Greene or Winchester obviously.

Then again, maybe we swing for the fences and dress a fourth line of Winchester-Jacques-Stortini...lol...that'd be *interesting* to say the least. Blood would be shed...

Larry Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:46 AM
TheFinalWord

Stortini didn't have the best year as a fighter last year, but it was also his first year fighting men. He'll give it 110% and never always defend a teammate and sometimes that's all you need. His skating is not great, but he only needs to skate to the front of the net and create havoc. Besides, how much skating do you do once you drop your gloves at the faceoff?

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:08 AM
Cerebral

I can't see why MacTavish would consider breaking up the fourth line right before the game with Calgary. The Winchester line has consistently been our best line down low and I have a feeling their cycle game will be vital tonight against the Shames.

11-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Asiaoil

meh.....pretty obvious this is all about money. They dumped a bunch of cash on Moreau and then he goes out and promply destroys his shoulder. Ever since then it's been about bringing up the cheapest guys possible and only having one extra forward. Petersen, JFJ and now Stortini all make about $500,000 right? That's cheaper than any of the first round picks. It's about dollars not talent or the need for toughness - that much is clear.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Stortini didn't have the best year as a fighter last year, but it was also his first year fighting men. He'll give it 110% and never always defend a teammate and sometimes that's all you need. His skating is not great, but he only needs to skate to the front of the net and create havoc. Besides, how much skating do you do once you drop your gloves at the faceoff?
I remember that Laraque was losing to guys like Thompson and Brashear (no shame there) when he was around Stortini's age. IMO we shouldn't be judging Storts pugilistic prowess until he's about 22 or 23 and after he's made a few rounds through-out the AHL's tough guys and some NHL tough guys as well.

Old
11-21-2006, 11:25 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Let's look at this. Moreau got hurt in a freak insident because he thought he needed to "step-up" when Stoll got hit. Why do he and other regulars feel this need? Because there isn't a goon on the team who's job it is to give and take beatings when needed. With Stortini around (or any other straight up goon) guys like Greene, Smith, Staios, Torres and Winchester don't need to be too concerned about BS retributive stuff.
The problem with that is, even with Stortini in the lineup, Moreau, Winchester, Smith or Staios still would've been the guy to fight Markov. Heavyweights just don't fight guys like Markov who don't normally fight.

I'm not saying we need Stortini, but he's a great team guy who puts in the effort even when he's only on the ice for 6-10 minutes a game, and won't complain when he's in the pressbox. I haven't watched him play for some time, but by the sounds of things, he's really improved as a player.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote