HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Constant Trade Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2006, 08:41 AM
gobolt7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich View Post
Let's take a look at last year's standings here for a second. We finished last year with 90 Points. Atlanta finished with 92 Points. .
Thats a pretty interesting trick since we finshed 8th in the conference, and they finished behind us in 9th.

Old
11-25-2006, 09:45 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich View Post

Seriously, you people need to step back and take a look at the big picture here. It isn't just "another loss" and it isn't alright "as long as they tried." Let's take a look at last year's standings here for a second. We finished last year with 90 Points. Atlanta finished with 92 Points. That is a difference of ONE head to head game. Wrap your mind around that for a second here. While right now it may not be a big deal to drop games here and there, in the big picture it is a HUGE deal. We drop two, three or even four games in a row and we are digging ourselves an early grave. I understand that some losses are to be expected; but to claim that a real fan shouldn't be upset by a loss is absolutely and completely preposterous. These losses do matter and in the grand scheme thing you can look back at these games where: "Oh well at least they tried! Yay Lightning!" was all that mattered to you and thank them for our 9th or 10th place seeding.

With the way we are playing that is where we are going to end up. We are going to fall just short and then you people will look back at these games and realize that had we (or the team) been concerned we might not be on the outside looking in. This team is digging an early grave and your people's reactions are making things ten times worse for the realist in myself. Of course I am happy when they win and I am pissed off when they lose because I look at things in the grand scheme of things. We drop three games and then we win one, you people welcome them home like their are saints. I look at them like they are a .250 team in this last stretch and they have a lot of ground to make up. Unfortunately they never make up that ground and they drop a few more, but then they win one and they are saviours again! You are all in a vicious cycle of not realizing where these stretches place us in the standings at the end of the year.
I agree with most of this but I think you missed MW's point. I am sure he is one of the ones who hates when we lose. What he was trying to say is it is easier to accept defeat when you know that the effort was there. That's not being "Yay Lightning, at least we tried!" It is being in the camp that knows we will not go 82-0 but expects the effort to be there for 82 games. Some nights, even at your absolute best, you are going to get beat and that sucks. But when you lose due to lack of effort, it pisses fans off. I would have been pissed off had we lost last night but the effort was strong and that would have been easier to handle than had they come out with an effort like the New York Massacre we all witnessed earlier in the week. And you of all people know I am not a Rah-Rah guy.

Am I expecting them to make the playoff's? At this point I honestly don't see that happening because the effort has NOT been there more than it HAS been there. But at the same time I am looking at two things right now; 1) No one, except for Buffalo, is running away with the conference right now. 2nd place is seperated from 11th place by a whopping 7 points and it is still early enough to imagine that if any one of those teams starts turning on the jets now, anything can happen and that includes the Lightning. 2) I know that there is a boat load of talent on this team and it is absolutely possible that we could be talking about a 2 seed in April, the conference is that close.

It's funny, I watched every hockey game for at least a lttle while yesterday and every Eastern Conference game I watched announcers were talking about talking to coaches who couldn't understand the inconsistency of their teams from period to period. This is not a problem that is unique to the Lightning. That's no excuse mind you, but we are not alone in our inconsistency.

Old
11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I agree with most of this but I think you missed MW's point. I am sure he is one of the ones who hates when we lose. What he was trying to say is it is easier to accept defeat when you know that the effort was there. That's not being "Yay Lightning, at least we tried!" It is being in the camp that knows we will not go 82-0 but expects the effort to be there for 82 games. Some nights, even at your absolute best, you are going to get beat and that sucks. But when you lose due to lack of effort, it pisses fans off. I would have been pissed off had we lost last night but the effort was strong and that would have been easier to handle than had they come out with an effort like the New York Massacre we all witnessed earlier in the week. And you of all people know I am not a Rah-Rah guy.
You said it much, much better than I did.

Old
11-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobolt7 View Post
Thats a pretty interesting trick since we finshed 8th in the conference, and they finished behind us in 9th.
Lala.. I mixed it up.. Too early in the morning to be looking at stats.. but you got my point.

Old
12-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Agent007

what would it take for Vancouver to pick up either Prospal or Fedotenko or both??

Fedotenko could be a good line mate on the sedin line and Prospal could be what this team needs on the 2nd line.

Personally i dont know what Vancouver could offer you guys besides picks and prospects(not much there to be honest) but if you're looking for a salary dump type of thing then Vancouver might just be willing to make a trade and then send a guy like Bulis or Chouinard down to the minors for cap relief.

I had a little bit of a dream trade in mind which i know its not the fairest deal but oh boy i would love to see this happen.

To Vancouver:
Ruslan Fedotenko
Vaclav Prospal

To Tampa Bay:
Matt Cooke or Jan Bulis
2nd round draft pick 2007
Denis Grot (solid defensive prospect playing in russia was a 2nd round draft pick in 2002)
4th round draft pick 2008

The big thing would be that this deal gives Tampa some cap major cap relief, a solid defensive player who may be ready to come down to the NHL next season and a couple of good picks to sweeten it up. Cooke's a great 3rd line player that might just need a change of scenery and to be honest Vancouver just isnt the right fit for Bulis who IMO still can be at least a solid 15-20 goal scorer.

I know its far fetched but this is the kinda deal that gives tampa their cap relief and from what i've read it seems that Fedotanko seems to be slipping and Prospal isn't playing too well so perhaps a change of scenery could help them as well.

Just a suggestion but otherwise what would it take for Vancouver to get their hands on those one of or both of those players??

Old
12-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
I don't know who is really available and who isn't on Tampa Bay but I'm just throwing this out there to get some feedback. I'm also not sure if Sean Burke still counts against the 'ning now. What if the Sharks and Lightning were trade partners?

Sharks send Evgeni Nabokov, Rob Davison, and Ville Niemenen.

Tampa sends Sean Burke's cap hit, Marc Denis, and either Dan Boyle or Filip Kuba.

The salaries are relatively close. Tampa actually unloads money. Nabby is top ten and Denis would back up Toskala. Boyle or Kuba would be the defenseman the Sharks seek. Niemenen is a good character guy for the stretch run. Davison is a throw-in for roster purposes because the Sharks need to open up a spot. Just something I threw together.

Old
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

The problem with that is Defense. It's not very good as is, and losing Boyle or Kuba won't help.

Tampa Bay isn't scoring at all with our current players, so I think it'd make more sense to trade guys like Afanasenkov, Fedotenko, Prospal or Richards (PLEASE, SOMEONE TAKE RICHARDS) for depth on the D end. Honestly. Between those 4 players, 21 goals. On the flipside, Craig, St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Alexeev have 45 goals.

If we lose any of the first 4 mentioned, our goal scoring won't suffer too much, but at least we could improve the D, and not allow so many horrid goals.

Old
12-06-2006, 02:55 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't know who is really available and who isn't on Tampa Bay but I'm just throwing this out there to get some feedback. I'm also not sure if Sean Burke still counts against the 'ning now. What if the Sharks and Lightning were trade partners?

Sharks send Evgeni Nabokov, Rob Davison, and Ville Niemenen.

Tampa sends Sean Burke's cap hit, Marc Denis, and either Dan Boyle or Filip Kuba.

The salaries are relatively close. Tampa actually unloads money. Nabby is top ten and Denis would back up Toskala. Boyle or Kuba would be the defenseman the Sharks seek. Niemenen is a good character guy for the stretch run. Davison is a throw-in for roster purposes because the Sharks need to open up a spot. Just something I threw together.
Boyle, yes. Kuba, no. With Boyle in it I'd jump at it to get Nabby. That alone would improve the defense. You are adding a top goaltender and unloading a figure skater wo can't pass the puck twice in a row without getting it stolen in his own end.

Old
12-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

I don't see West games much this season, is Nabokov that good? We could absorb the loss of Denis AND Boyle just by adding him?

Old
12-06-2006, 03:12 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
I don't see West games much this season, is Nabokov that good? We could absorb the loss of Denis AND Boyle just by adding him?
Don't think we lose much with Boyle and Nabokov has been much, much better than Denis. I like Mark but if I had my choice I'd jump at Nabby.

Boyle just sucks IMO.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Nabby has been standing on his head in his starts with San Jose. His record is really not doing his play justice. Sharks just don't score in front of him like they do in front of Toskala. I think there's a 2 goal difference in goal support between the two. He's kept them in every game this year except maybe the Ducks game in which they hung him out to dry.

Sharks need to add a defenseman to kick Davison, Murray, and Gorges out as the number six defenseman. If Burke counts against the cap, it'd work salary-wise because his cap space along with Malakhov's would be used to re-sign Scott Hannan and roster-wise since he's not on the pro roster and the Sharks need the space with two not-really-injured guys on the IR. Also, Marc Denis would be a one year stopgap in case Toskala leaves after next year and they need time between him and Thomas Greiss, their next prized goaltending prospect. Also, if Boyle fails to be worth his price, they can use his freed up money to re-sign Thornton, Marleau, and Toskala. From the Sharks perspective, it definitely would fall together well.

Old
12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Sounds to be a good fit for San Jose. Upgrading Denis alone is worth the loss (or not that much of a loss) of Boyle.

Old
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Nabby has been standing on his head in his starts with San Jose. His record is really not doing his play justice. Sharks just don't score in front of him like they do in front of Toskala. I think there's a 2 goal difference in goal support between the two. He's kept them in every game this year except maybe the Ducks game in which they hung him out to dry.

Sharks need to add a defenseman to kick Davison, Murray, and Gorges out as the number six defenseman. If Burke counts against the cap, it'd work salary-wise because his cap space along with Malakhov's would be used to re-sign Scott Hannan and roster-wise since he's not on the pro roster and the Sharks need the space with two not-really-injured guys on the IR. Also, Marc Denis would be a one year stopgap in case Toskala leaves after next year and they need time between him and Thomas Greiss, their next prized goaltending prospect. Also, if Boyle fails to be worth his price, they can use his freed up money to re-sign Thornton, Marleau, and Toskala. From the Sharks perspective, it definitely would fall together well.
How about Thornton for Richards, straight up, since you are being so generous?

Old
12-19-2006, 09:47 AM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Send a message via MSN to No-Twitch Tabitha
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post
St Louis' age is already a liability? No-twitch, I understand what your trying to say, but good lord, 31.5 isn't old. He's leading the team in frackin scoring for crying out load. Oh no, he'll be 36 when the contract is over. Yeah, and...? If you're so sure that the team should be playing so much better right now, why are you dogging it's best player about something that isn't an issue right now - who cares about 3 or 4 years from now - heck, he might only be 3rd or 4th on the team in points by then.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. Nothing personal no-twitch, just the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.

Belated response:

Duuuuuude, apology accepted. I'm cool.

What I meant was, his age is considered a liability to someone like Feaster...the reason I said that was because of a quote I remembered from the Stanley Cup DVD about trades and getting a 30yo player who has 1 yr before he is a UFA (fuzzy and parahrasing). You know he would let Marty go before he lets the "young guns" go.

I personally don't think Marty's age is a liability. I'm not dogging Marty (who is my favorite, remember? Denis avatar aside ), I was putting it from the FO perspective...and they should be flogged.

Old
12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderworks View Post
The problem with that is Defense. It's not very good as is, and losing Boyle or Kuba won't help.

Tampa Bay isn't scoring at all with our current players, so I think it'd make more sense to trade guys like Afanasenkov, Fedotenko, Prospal or Richards (PLEASE, SOMEONE TAKE RICHARDS) for depth on the D end. Honestly. Between those 4 players, 21 goals. On the flipside, Craig, St. Louis, Lecavalier, and Alexeev have 45 goals.

If we lose any of the first 4 mentioned, our goal scoring won't suffer too much, but at least we could improve the D, and not allow so many horrid goals.
Bye, Feds; oh, before you go: no butter, no salt.

What is it going to take for the coaching staff to see the light about Prospal? As for Affy, well -- we know he's going. I am concerned about Richards (I'm starting to wonder if there is a Curse of the Coach's Pet at work here), but I don't think he should move yet.

Speaking of D, anyone see this article yet? I saw it in the midst of some research I was doing: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/allen/2006-11-30-allen-defensemen-free-agents2_x.htm

Old
12-19-2006, 12:34 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
These proposals are scary to me as a fan of the Wild because the acquisition of ANY ONE of your "Big Three" by a Western team can have a strong potential to disrupt the balance of power in the conference. In other words a potential trade can launch another team in the playoff race that wasn't in it before.

I hope they stay in the East.

Old
12-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
What people seems to forget is that we won a cup with a team similar to this, with three stars, the ONE big difference is Khabibulin of course but the def core has the same set up quality-wise. While Stillman contributed during the regular season he did not much in the play-offs, sure we had Mo, but we have got guys who can fill his boots.

My point is, with a good goalie, this team could lead the Eastern Conference, it has the quality to do so, it isn't about having three players tied to much of the cap.

Old
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
What people seems to forget is that we won a cup with a team similar to this, with three stars, the ONE big difference is Khabibulin of course but the def core has the same set up quality-wise. While Stillman contributed during the regular season he did not much in the play-offs, sure we had Mo, but we have got guys who can fill his boots.

My point is, with a good goalie, this team could lead the Eastern Conference, it has the quality to do so, it isn't about having three players tied to much of the cap.
I agree with that to a point. I think the "Big 3" along with Boyle are getting too much ice time and it is slowing the team down in the third period. The difference in their intensity between the 1st and 3rd periods is obvious.

Old
12-20-2006, 09:34 AM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
I agree with that to a point. I think the "Big 3" along with Boyle are getting too much ice time and it is slowing the team down in the third period. The difference in their intensity between the 1st and 3rd periods is obvious.
So you've also noticed the unspoken, yet felt-through-the-TV "Well, here we are again" coupled with a sigh? I thought it was just my imagination.

Old
12-22-2006, 05:30 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
I think the response to this is that it is very difficult to get a good goalie with 3 players taking up so much of the cap. - Something they didn't have to worry about in the past.

Old
12-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
We have 3 players taking up alot of cap space? Why wasn't I informed?

12-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

I'll brief you at dinner tonight.

Old
12-23-2006, 09:35 AM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The XO Sniper View Post
We have 3 players taking up alot of cap space? Why wasn't I informed?
We have what? Do you have a link Patrick? You know you're not allowed to post rumors in here.

Old
12-23-2006, 11:23 AM
No-Twitch Tabitha

Yeah, Patrick: You need to back up your story.

Closed Thread