HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When do we call Huet the official #1?

Old
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
22SteveBegin22

vCash: 500
When do we call Huet the official #1?

We're far enough into the season to see that CH is the better of the two... since his rocky start (which even then didn't include very many *bad* goals, just too many pucks finding a way past him), he has been awesome. Abby has gone in the opposite direction, more or less in keeping with his career trend of looking great at times but not being consistent enough.

So my question: Shouldn't Carbo (with Rollie's help) be close to saying who our #1 is and giving him the heavier workload? Or does he like the internal competition so he's keeping it going while he can? I guess it's up to the coach to know a player's state of mind, but I've got think Huet has earned the right to feel like the team has confidence in him as *the* #1.

GO HABS GO

Huet: .931 (3rd in NHL)
Abby: .911 (19th in NHL)

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
fromage67

There is no added benefit to actually naming one of the guy's the #1. None.

I think Carbo will simply start using Huet more for now, since he has been the better of the two. But it very well may happen that Aebischer gets hot again. And I'm pretty sure Carbo would want to use him more then.

fromage67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:51 PM
guapo23

I totally agree with Fromage.

There is nothing to be gained from naming a number 1 goalie and creating rancor between our goalies.

Goalies get hot & cold. Ride the hot hand.

The schedule is such that there will be a lot of back to back games where you can play the other goalie without creating a fuss.

Aebi will get back on track, just like Huet will probabaly have a few bad games in a row also.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:05 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
We're far enough into the season to see that CH is the better of the two... since his rocky start (which even then didn't include very many *bad* goals, just too many pucks finding a way past him), he has been awesome. Abby has gone in the opposite direction, more or less in keeping with his career trend of looking great at times but not being consistent enough.

So my question: Shouldn't Carbo (with Rollie's help) be close to saying who our #1 is and giving him the heavier workload? Or does he like the internal competition so he's keeping it going while he can? I guess it's up to the coach to know a player's state of mind, but I've got think Huet has earned the right to feel like the team has confidence in him as *the* #1.

GO HABS GO

Huet: .931 (3rd in NHL)
Abby: .911 (19th in NHL)
They're a tandem, but Huet is clearly the man come playoff time if he's playing like this. Long season to go.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Drive425

Everybody knows who the #1 is, but everyone will keep their mouth closed. If you name Huet as #1 I think you will lower Abby's trade value. my 2cents

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:32 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
I wonder which of the two will get to play the Sabres on Friday and the Flyers on Saturday.
Huet has lost to the Sabres twice already while Aebischer is yet to play them, but Huet has been playing well of late and Aebischer has been pulled in his last two starts. While the Flyers are in the celler of the Eastern Conference and it is a home game. I think if Aebischer looks confident this week in practice I would let him play Friday in Buffalo and let Huet start at home.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Rayne*

A .911 SV% for your WORSE goalie is hardly anything to cry about. I'd be really happy if Huet and Abby can maintain an average SV% of about .920.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Kruky

I call Huet #1 since last year. I knew he was just having a bad start which wasn't that bad in the first place.

Abby on friday, Huet on Saturday.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
I call Huet #1 since last year. I knew he was just having a bad start which wasn't that bad in the first place.

Abby on friday, Huet on Saturday.
me too. but i beg to differ. Huet did not have a bad start. Abby was just awsome.

Huet played fine to start the year, he had a few bad bounces like most goalies at the beginning of the year but with abby spliting the early games it took this long for all you doubters to read a few papers saying that huet is playing well now

Watch the games and stop listening to the silly media that tries to sell papers and commercials by trying to start a goalie contraversy at the beginning of the year in montreal

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:47 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
me too. but i beg to differ. Huet did not have a bad start. Abby was just awsome.

Huet played fine to start the year, he had a few bad bounces like most goalies at the beginning of the year but with abby spliting the early games it took this long for all you doubters to read a few papers saying that huet is playing well now

Watch the games and stop listening to the silly media that tries to sell papers and commercials by trying to start a goalie contraversy at the beginning of the year in montreal
Huet had terrible rebound control from games 2 to 5-6 as reflected by his .899 sv% after 5 games. He did not look comfortable through that stretch and didnt look anywhere near like the goalie he was last year and is now. Since then he's had a 0.955 sv%. So... I guess I disagree with you on this one.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Kruky

Quote:

He had a bad start but it wasn't that bad so you could say he had an average start. His positioning wasn't that great, thats pretty much it. He worked on it and now he's back to what he was doing last year.

Basically took him a bit to get used to playing again after a long summer eating French baguette now that he could afford it with his new salary Look at Kiprusoff last year and this year, now he's great.

And sorry but I'm not the one who's listening and reads newspapers about contraversy. I was calling Huet to be #1 with the Habs after I saw him play his second game last year. I was also supporting Huet when he started a bit cold at the beggining of the year. I'm a big Huet fan so you can stick your where the sun doesn't shine

Quote:
from JMMR

I wonder which of the two will get to play the Sabres on Friday and the Flyers on Saturday.
Huet has lost to the Sabres twice already while Aebischer is yet to play them, but Huet has been playing well of late and Aebischer has been pulled in his last two starts. While the Flyers are in the celler of the Eastern Conference and it is a home game. I think if Aebischer looks confident this week in practice I would let him play Friday in Buffalo and let Huet start at home.
Abby will start friday and Huet saturday

Last edited by Kruky: 11-21-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old
11-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Mackee

I don't think we'll ever call Huet the "official #1".

Then again, given the trend, I could be wrong. Huet definitely has the inside track and is looking more and more like the Huet we saw last year.

If Aebischer can get his rebound control under...well..control, then he'll get a decent chunk of starts as well.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Huet had terrible rebound control from games 2 to 5-6 as reflected by his .899 sv% after 5 games. He did not look comfortable through that stretch and didnt look anywhere near like the goalie he was last year and is now. Since then he's had a 0.955 sv%. So... I guess I disagree with you on this one.
your #s are right but it was just 2 or 3 games that took 2 or 3 weeks to playout. He played ok for a few games to start the year and we have a goalie contaversy...

Even though Huet's #s werent up to snuff he was positioning well but just didn't get the breaks and looked a little uncomfortable, but only slightly. He just needed some games under his belt. HE is a way better technical goalie than abby and it was bound to surface sooner or later. In HUets case it was sooner. He is the undisputed #1 Abby is a backup that can start for many NHL teams, and will probably get that chance before long...

Old
11-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
And sorry but I'm not the one who's listening and reads newspapers about contraversy. I was calling Huet to be #1 with the Habs after I saw him play his second game last year. I was also supporting Huet when he started a bit cold at the beggining of the year. I'm a big Huet fan so you can stick your where the sun doesn't shine

Abby will start friday and Huet saturday
i wasn't saying you needed to stop reading papers...that part ofthe post was not directed at you... read it again

Old
11-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Kruky

Quote:
i wasn't saying you needed to stop reading papers...that part ofthe post was not directed at you... read it again

Then, I apologize.

The only papers I read are stupid Ottawa papers anyway. The Ottawa Sun still think we are unhappy with Bonk because he only has 4 goals
I miss my Journal de Montreal