HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Conklin deserves a rest

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Conklin deserves a rest

the perfect time was against the Blue Jackets and MacT didn't want to take the chance on big Valley, also the HC took a lot out of Edmonton (montreal too), and it showed tonight against the wings. I'm happy edmonton managed somehow to get a point against Columbbus but was it worth IT? I say NO

11 striaght games, 10 games that Conklin has started. thats just too much for a rookie goaltender the next 4 games are against Colorado (friday), San Jose (Sunday), Minnesota (next Wednesday) tthen Pittsburgh (Dec 6th Saturday) 4 games in 9 days, If salo isn't back Big Valley needs to get a start against San Jose or Pittsburgh. Conklin deserves a rest

Old
11-26-2003, 09:03 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
the perfect time was against the Blue Jackets and MacT didn't want to take the chance on big Valley, also the HC took a lot out of Edmonton (montreal too), and it showed tonight against the wings. I'm happy edmonton managed somehow to get a point against Columbbus but was it worth IT? I say NO

11 striaght games, 10 games that Conklin has started. thats just too much for a rookie goaltender the next 4 games are against Colorado (friday), San Jose (Sunday), Minnesota (next Wednesday) tthen Pittsburgh (Dec 6th Saturday) 4 games in 9 days, If salo isn't back Big Valley needs to get a start against San Jose or Pittsburgh. Conklin deserves a rest
I was thinking the same thing earlier today as well. I was asking myself why he keeps playing. Not only were the Oilers due for a loss here tonight, but Conklin was due for a loss.

Old
11-27-2003, 12:06 PM
Walsher

Personally I thought the Detroit game was the perfect situation for Big Valley. Really a game that Edmonton wasn't going to win. After a game with Columbus (which in my mind should have been a must win) the night before and what has appeared to be lingering effects from the Classic I thought that they should have just thrown him into the fire and see what happens. But all water under the bridge.

Old
11-27-2003, 04:03 PM
gretzky2kurri

Conks might "deserve" a rest, but I doubt very highly he "wants" a rest.

Truth is I feel our chances are better with Conklin in nets. He went all the way to game 7 of the AHL finals last year. This is pretty big to him also. Bigger. He wants it. He made some pretty incredible saves last night. Alot of those 40 something shots were quality chances.

I remember years ago in Lalimes rookie season in Pittsburg he was keeping my buddy Wregs out of the net because he was unbeaten in 15 "or something" games. He ended up playing more games consecutively than the unbeaten streak itself.

There's always the chance that if we started Valy in Columbus we would have gotten 0 points on the road. Then everyone woulda been down MacTs throat.

MacT may have thought that the Jackets was the night to make some hay on the trip. That way at least they would come back .500 for sure. Didn't happen though.

Closed Thread