HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Edmonton sign Ronning???

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

vCash: 500

OK, I know this is far fetched and relatively impossible, but it makes alot of sense. All factors aside, just look at logic.

I know he'd probably refuse it, but say we sign Ronning to a 1 yr deal for say 1.5 mil. Although we no longer need his services with Oates signed, Edmonton would now posseess the top 3 candidates for a centreman 29 other teams would want.

Edmonton would use Ronning as nothing more than an asset. They would have Comrie, Oates and Ronning. this would give Kevin Lowe all the leverage in the world in any deal that's done. If the market for Comrie is low, then he can package Ronning and (any combination of Chimera, Horcoff, Laraque, Smith) and get something he needs like a top 4 defenseman, centre prospect, draft pick etc. He could wait til the deadline when the usual suspects come calling for that final piece of the puzzle, then when they call you ship soon to be UFA J. Smith and C. Ronning to a desperate team for prospects, picks etc.

If Edmonton realizes that they are not in a position to contend this year, then they can ship Oates out at the deadline too in a package deal and stock up on youngters etc. Now I know alot of teams wont give up to much for these old centreman, so guys like Laraque, Chimera, Horcoff would have to be thrown in to get a decent return.

We can make Comrie sit all year if we need to, and trade him at the draft when GM's are a little crazy.

Anyways, this is just a far-fetched theory, but if it can somehow be orchestrated, then The Oil would look like Einsteins.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:24 AM
Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to Cowboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cowboy
Why would other teams trade for ronning or oates when they could have got them for nothing. Plus i don't think it very good to sign somebody and immediatley trade them. They are fine without ronning, he would just bring the average age up, we don't want that, we like being the youngest, or one of the youngest, not that it has anything to do with it...

Old
11-26-2003, 06:31 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Why would other teams trade for ronning or oates when they could have got them for nothing. Plus i don't think it very good to sign somebody and immediatley trade them. They are fine without ronning, he would just bring the average age up, we don't want that, we like being the youngest, or one of the youngest, not that it has anything to do with it...
that pretty much sums it up for me too... i mean, lowe would get more leverage using 1.5 million of cash rather than 1.5 million of old centermen.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:08 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:

We traded for Cross at the deadline last year....

Old
11-26-2003, 10:50 AM
metallicat

Quote:
If they could have gotten Oates for nothing why didn't he sign with them then? He signed with Edmonton because he wanted to be here.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:57 AM
barto

I don't mind the idea, although it does take away playing time from one of our younger guys like, say, Stoll, while Lowe shops Ronning around. But his value certainly increases as we get closer to the trade deadline...

And the Oilers could sign him just to keep him from signing with another Western club, which some speculate would explain the Ducks' interest in Comrie (so he doesn't go to the Kings).

It's not an insane idea, but as I said, the biggest drawback I see is taking away playing time from someone like Stoll who is blossoming with his playing time. I'm not that worried about salary, though.

For instance, if Ronning agrees to a $1.5M deal, we're already down to around $1.1M for the rest of the season, or more like $800K to the trade deadline, so that's not too bad.

Bart

Old
11-26-2003, 09:34 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Here's a quote from Spectors...

SPORTSNET.CA/OTTAWA SUN: reports there is no truth to speculation UFA centre Cliff Ronning is close to signing with the Calgary Flames. It was believed he was close to a deal with the Edmonton Oilers before they signed veteran Adam Oates. Both Sportsnet and the Sun report Ronning might attract interest from the Ottawa Senators, who recently lost Bryan Smolinski to injury.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Allan

Why would Ronning want to sign with the Oilers? He knows as well as we do that this is the situation.

Old
11-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Definitely. Joey Moss needs an assistant.

Closed Thread