HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

O'Byrne impresses scout... of other teams!

Old
11-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Fozz

vCash: 500
O'Byrne impresses scouts... of other teams!

Very interesting article praising O'Byrne's pro debut (French)

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

I'm up to the wazoo at work and I don't have time to translate... Perhaps, if some kind soul has the time...

The article basically states that scouts from other teams are extremely impressed with the kid.

Last edited by Fozz: 11-20-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Fozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Nice to see I wonder how far he is from being NHL ready. Could he be a possbile replacement for say Rivet next season.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Better With Age*

If someone needs it translated let me know. Great article, thanks!

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:46 AM
jcpenny

In the article they say that hes not as physical as Souray but from what ive seen, he hits almost as hard as Komisarek.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
In the article they say that hes not as physical than Souray but from what ive seen, he hits almost as hard as Komisarek.
I also found that quite interesting since Souray isn't nearly as physical as he could be.

Old
11-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Nice to see I wonder how far he is from being NHL ready. Could he be a possbile replacement for say Rivet next season.
I wouldn't say that he could fully replace Rivet next year. Rivet brings certain things like leadership and experience that are hard to cover up by bringing in a rookie, unless said rookie was some incredible talent and future star player. Which O'Byrne is not. However, his physical play in the AHL has been impressive so far and he seems to be settling in a little more. I haven't noticed him taking himself out of position much in the last couple of games but that's something he would have to show over a longer period of time to say that it is not an issue for him. At times earlier in the season, he would do what Komisarek used to do when starting out in the NHL (and what I imagine a number of more physical dmen do) and go looking for a big hit when it isn't to his/his teams advantage. He is good at clearing the crease and playing along the boards and can check and punch hard when he needs/wants to (in his fight the other night, he was throwing punches a little like Souray). As for offense, I can't see him providing as much as Rivet so soon (and it's not as if Rivet is an offensive guy). So I think it would take an optimist to say he could replace Rivet as soon as next year.

I'm not sure there would be any rush to get him in the NHL though, unless he proves over the rest of the season that he is not going to learn much more in the AHL. Without seeing how things develop over the next few months it's difficult to say with any certainty, but I'd expect him to start next year in Hamilton (with a slight chance of being a 7th Dman in montreal), barring any circumstances that may force a change. But he is definately one for the future. I wouldn't expect him to be a star dman in the NHL in the future, but he certainly has the potential to be an effective player who can help a team out at the back end.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
If someone needs it translated let me know. Great article, thanks!
please do.....thx

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:04 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I'm pretty confident he will be on the big club next season. Him and Komi will be bashing heads of opposing forwards.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:39 AM
J-D

From the few games I have seen him in preseason, he looks very sound in his own zone.

However, his first pass really needs some work, he almost always banged it on the glass for an easy no-risk giveaway.

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:12 AM
The n00b King ©*

Quote:
Il y a des espoirs du Canadien qui semblent faire saliver les recruteurs des autres équipes. Un de ces dépisteurs, en remettant son rapport à son directeur général la semaine dernière, a été fort élogieux à l'égard du défenseur format géant Ryan O'Byrne, dont les débuts professionnels avec les Bulldogs de Hamilton, dans la Ligue américaine, dépassent les espérances. Au point où il a suggéré à son DG de s'enquérir de la disponibilité du jeune homme!

It would seem that there are a few of the habs draft picks that are making other scouts envious. One of those scouts, while giving in his report sheet to his GM last week, was praising Ryan O'Byrne who's start in the AHL has surpassed expectations. To the point where he suggested to his GM to inquire about his availability.

O'Byrne jouait dans le junior tiers II en Colombie-Britannique lorsque le Canadien l'a repêché en troisième ronde derrière Andrei Kostitsyn, Cory Urquhart et Maxim Lapierre en 2003. Il mesurait déjà 6 pieds 4 pouces et 210 livres et le responsable du recrutement de l'équipe, Trevor Timmins, aimait beaucoup son agilité pour un gros bonhomme comme lui, et aussi son chien. C'était plutôt un «projet», comme on dit dans le milieu.

O'Byrne played in the Junior 2nd tier in BC when he was drafted by the habs in the 3rd round behind Kostitsyn, Urquhart and Lapierre in 2003. He already measured 6'4 and weighted in at 210 pounds and Timmins really liked his agility for a guy his size. It was already conceived that he was going to be a "project".

Ce défenseur droitier, aujourd'hui âgé de 22 ans, a passé les trois saisons suivantes à l'université Cornell, dans la NCAA, avant d'entreprendre cet automne sa carrière chez les pros après un camp d'entraînement intéressant à Montréal.

This right handed defensement, aged 22, has passed the last 3 seasons studying at Cornell U, in the NCAA, before joining the Bulldogs due to an interesting habs camp.

«Il est de loin le défenseur des Bulldogs qui possède le plus de potentiel, confiait hier au bout du fil un autre recruteur. Son jeu attire le regard. Ce n'est pas un gars offensif mais son jeu est solide. Il s'adapte bien aux rangs professionnels. Il n'est peut-être pas encore prêt pour un poste régulier dans la Ligue nationale mais ça ne sera pas trop long. Avec quelques blessés, le Canadien pourrait le rappeler demain matin pour occuper le poste de sixième défenseur sans se mettre dans le trouble.»

"He is by far the defensemen (Bulldogs') who has the most potential said another scout. His play attracts the eye. He's not an offensive guy, but his play is solid. He's adapting well to the professionals level. He might not yet be ready for a full time NHL position, but it wont be long. With a few injuries, the Habs could recall him to take over the 6th dman position without hurting the team."

Last edited by The n00b King ©*: 11-20-2006 at 10:00 AM.
The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
«Il est de loin le défenseur des Bulldogs qui possède le plus de potentiel, confiait hier au bout du fil un autre recruteur. Son jeu attire le regard. Ce n'est pas un gars offensif mais son jeu est solide. Il s'adapte bien aux rangs professionnels. Il n'est peut-être pas encore prêt pour un poste régulier dans la Ligue nationale mais ça ne sera pas trop long. Avec quelques blessés, le Canadien pourrait le rappeler demain matin pour occuper le poste de sixième défenseur sans se mettre dans le trouble.»

"He is by far the defensemen (Bulldogs') who has the most potential said Timmins. His play attracts the eye. He's not an offensive guy, but his play is solid. He's adapting well to the professionals level. He might not yet be ready for a full time NHL position, but it wont be long. With a few injuries, the Habs could recall him to take over the 6th dman position without hurting the team."
Just to clarify, it's not Timmins that said this but another scout.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:33 AM
David_99

Wow, great to see. I haven't been following the Bulldogs much this year but still didn't hear much from O'Byrne. I thought he might have been struggling. Good to know I assumed wrong and that his play is progressing nicely.

If only Emelin could have come over this year. I wouldn't have been so worried about losing one or two of out big 3 (ok, 4) UFA D. Oh well, maybe next year.

Keep it up O'Byrne!!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I wouldn't say that he could fully replace Rivet next year. Rivet brings certain things like leadership and experience that are hard to cover up by bringing in a rookie, unless said rookie was some incredible talent and future star player. Which O'Byrne is not. However, his physical play in the AHL has been impressive so far and he seems to be settling in a little more. I haven't noticed him taking himself out of position much in the last couple of games but that's something he would have to show over a longer period of time to say that it is not an issue for him. At times earlier in the season, he would do what Komisarek used to do when starting out in the NHL (and what I imagine a number of more physical dmen do) and go looking for a big hit when it isn't to his/his teams advantage. He is good at clearing the crease and playing along the boards and can check and punch hard when he needs/wants to (in his fight the other night, he was throwing punches a little like Souray). As for offense, I can't see him providing as much as Rivet so soon (and it's not as if Rivet is an offensive guy). So I think it would take an optimist to say he could replace Rivet as soon as next year.

I'm not sure there would be any rush to get him in the NHL though, unless he proves over the rest of the season that he is not going to learn much more in the AHL. Without seeing how things develop over the next few months it's difficult to say with any certainty, but I'd expect him to start next year in Hamilton (with a slight chance of being a 7th Dman in montreal), barring any circumstances that may force a change. But he is definately one for the future. I wouldn't expect him to be a star dman in the NHL in the future, but he certainly has the potential to be an effective player who can help a team out at the back end.
I would not expect him to be a complete replacement for Rivet but maybe a starting point. A better way to look at it might be Komi taking over the role of Rivet and O'Byrne become like Komi a few years ago. That said another year in the AHL might not be the end of the world.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:05 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

I would agree as well... let him stay in the AHL for another year after this year witha few call ups... we still have coté to give a chance with the big club this year

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

While you can never be sure what will happen the rest of the way this year and over the summer, my general impression from watching O'Byrne is that he can really benefit from another year in the AHL after this one. If you pushed him ahead next season, I do think he'd basically look something like Komisarek in his first couple of years with the Habs, playing part time, very low minutes, not really imposing himself at all. And while there's nothing entirely wrong with that per se, I just don't think we'll need to do it.

Let's also recall that Komisarek was pretty much an AHL All-Star calibre defenseman with some decent scoring totals right from the get-go in the AHL. O'Byrne is not going to generate any numbers worth speaking of in the AHL this year. He moves well for his size and will become more proficient at playing the defensive end throughout this season as he progresses, but I'd say from what I saw in Cornell last year that he does have some ability to carry the puck and play the point game too, and I'd rather see him spend all the time in the AHL he needs to get comfortable first with his D game and then to start branching out to work on his offense too, while playing bigger minutes, and that's going to be a process best-served with 2, maybe even 3 years in the minors. (Unless he really forces the issue, of course).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
While you can never be sure what will happen the rest of the way this year and over the summer, my general impression from watching O'Byrne is that he can really benefit from another year in the AHL after this one. If you pushed him ahead next season, I do think he'd basically look something like Komisarek in his first couple of years with the Habs, playing part time, very low minutes, not really imposing himself at all. And while there's nothing entirely wrong with that per se, I just don't think we'll need to do it.

Let's also recall that Komisarek was pretty much an AHL All-Star calibre defenseman with some decent scoring totals right from the get-go in the AHL. O'Byrne is not going to generate any numbers worth speaking of in the AHL this year. He moves well for his size and will become more proficient at playing the defensive end throughout this season as he progresses, but I'd say from what I saw in Cornell last year that he does have some ability to carry the puck and play the point game too, and I'd rather see him spend all the time in the AHL he needs to get comfortable first with his D game and then to start branching out to work on his offense too, while playing bigger minutes, and that's going to be a process best-served with 2, maybe even 3 years in the minors. (Unless he really forces the issue, of course).
What I really like is that Emelin and Obyrne, White and Carle can skate. Rivet and Souray are not all that quick.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What I really like is that Emelin and Obyrne, White and Carle can skate. Rivet and Souray are not all that quick.

Do you mean Fischer instead of White? White is a forward.

But I do agree with your statement... Those are 4 mobile d-men for their respective sizes. Probably a must in the NHL now.

Old
11-20-2006, 05:28 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

O'Byrne has played well from what I've seen, often paired with Traverse. He hasn't produced much offense yet, but he has a cannon of a shot, that I suspect he will start to use it more. I've seen a lot of his games at Hamilton and Cornell, he's one of the prospects I've seen the most of from our current group. I don't expect him to make the Habs next year, but if need be I think he could fill in for injuries as I expect him to be a NHL regular at some point, perhaps 2-3 years from now, it's hard to say since he's so early in his pro career and a lot can happen between now and then.

I think he could fill in right now if he had to, but with all the depth we have, he shouldn't have to. He's a +5 Roy leads the defense at +8, Jancevski +7 and Traverse +6. He's seen time in all situations and has easily been one of the most physical players on the team. I wouldn't expect a lot of offensive production from him but I think he can produce at a better clip when he gets more confidence over time.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:10 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
O'Byrne is rated as a 4th-6th pro defenceman, which is pretty much what everyone in this forum [and others I visit] has been saying all along. It's nice to see the same evaluation from a non-Habs related hockey person, so that we all don't think he's being overhyped by the organization. He's going to require at least one full season in the AHL, since it will help him adapt to the pro schedule. The AHL schedule is much more demanding that the NHL's, since it's common for teams to play 3 games in 4 nights or 2 games in 3 nights regularly. Even though Ryan is a big guy, the last 3 years in college he's played around 40 games per season. That's a big step to adapt to for him, but I'm sure he's capable.

What I also liked reading in that article was the positive comments about the other Bulldogs players: Lapierre, Halak, Grabovsky. The future is looking bright.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I also found that quite interesting since Souray isn't nearly as physical as he could be.
Hes the most physical player on the Canadiens roster, physical doesn't mean a big hit once in a while.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 10:32 AM
NewHabsEra*

Ive always been a big OByrne fan as well as a big Lapierre fan and always believed they would become solid NHLers one day... I dont get why some think we had a poor 2003 draft... Outside the Urquhart pick, we drafted Kostitsyn 10th overall, while some think it was a bad pick, I rather think otherwise, this kid is a great talent and will blossom sooner than later its quite obvious.. Both Lapierre and OByrne could have easily been early second rnd picks, Halak and Lindberg are pretty solid talents... We dont hear much about Lindberg but I personally think he is even better than Halak.. It would be interesting to see what Korpikari does with the Bulldogs, he is pretty solid in his own zone.. Urquhart was a long shot and Timmins hoped to hit an home run.. the kid has golden hands and a solid shot, I like the potential but I always thought his chances to bust were pretty high.. He still isnt died, has a good start in the ECHL but his chances are slim to get back on the radar as a solid prospects... I still prefer his potential to a prospect like Locke even if Locke is playing in the AHL.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Ive always been a big OByrne fan as well as a big Lapierre fan and always believed they would become solid NHLers one day... I dont get why some think we had a poor 2003 draft... Outside the Urquhart pick, we drafted Kostitsyn 10th overall, while some think it was a bad pick, I rather think otherwise, this kid is a great talent and will blossom sooner than later its quite obvious.. Both Lapierre and OByrne could have easily been early second rnd picks, Halak and Lindberg are pretty solid talents... We dont hear much about Lindberg but I personally think he is even better than Halak.. It would be interesting to see what Korpikari does with the Bulldogs, he is pretty solid in his own zone.. Urquhart was a long shot and Timmins hoped to hit an home run.. the kid has golden hands and a solid shot, I like the potential but I always thought his chances to bust were pretty high.. He still isnt died, has a good start in the ECHL but his chances are slim to get back on the radar as a solid prospects... I still prefer his potential to a prospect like Locke even if Locke is playing in the AHL.
What exactly is that comment based on? How many games have you seen either play?

Old
11-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
How is it obvious? If anything, he's shown that he still has problems adapting to NA and that he doesn't have the management's trust. The scout in question mentionned players but left Kostitsyn out of the equation, that should say a bit. Also, from the way I heard Savard talk about Urq'hart, I'm guessing he was the man behind that pick.

I'd personally say that I'd rather have a lot of players from the 2003 draft other then Kostitsyn, namely Getzlaf who seems to be heads and shoulders above any Habs prospect.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
How is it obvious? If anything, he's shown that he still has problems adapting to NA and that he doesn't have the management's trust. The scout in question mentionned players but left Kostitsyn out of the equation, that should say a bit. Also, from the way I heard Savard talk about Urq'hart, I'm guessing he was the man behind that pick.

I'd personally say that I'd rather have a lot of players from the 2003 draft other then Kostitsyn, namely Getzlaf who seems to be heads and shoulders above any Habs prospect.
Yeah actually most of you would take about any players from that first round before Kostitsyn but just wait about 2 more years... This kid has some undeniable elite skills, its a matter of time and development... Some develop faster than others but in the long run, its about reaching your full potential that matters.

Old
11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
What exactly is that comment based on? How many games have you seen either play?
development camp and WJC... Ive always been a Lindberg fan, he is extremmely quick, great reflex and likes to challenge shooters... I would love to see him in NA but I doubt it will happen soon since we have Halak and Price in the net next year in the farm. With Price Halak and Danis I even doubt he will ever get a chance to prove himself with us... I wouldnt be surprised if another team sign him at some point though.