Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Generating more offense at ES

Old
11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Generating more offense at ES

The one constant frustration with the system the Bruins play is that any time the Bruins maintain possession in the offensive zone the point men remain static and very, very rarely rotate up and create scoring chances. They stay their points which is fine for the most part, but the Bruins need to find additional ways to generate scoring chances. With guys like Stuart, Chara, Mara and Alberts we have enough speed to take these chances every now and then.

Tonight is a bad example as we looked completely lost for 50+ minutes, but overall this is something I have a high frustration level with. Two games ago the BBS line dominated possession and presented several opportunities with the other team's 5 man unit gassed that these chances should be taken.

Your thoughts on how to generate more chances?

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Disciple of Chezz

Late in the game Chara was pinching in like crazy and totally dominating on the half boards...Stuart too. It'd be nice to see Alberts and Jurcina doing that more as well, they're both big boys and could create havoc in along the boards while guys like Muzz and Savvy can circle back into the high slot to recieve the puck...that way Savvy won't be getting outmuscled along the boards like he did on the very last play.

Oh and forechecking. Kalusssssss

Disciple of Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerJohan11 View Post
Late in the game Chara was pinching in like crazy and totally dominating on the half boards...Stuart too. It'd be nice to see Alberts and Jurcina doing that more as well, they're both big boys and could create havoc in along the boards while guys like Muzz and Savvy can circle back into the high slot to recieve the puck...that way Savvy won't be getting outmuscled along the boards like he did on the very last play.

Oh and forechecking. Kalusssssss
Thats kinda the point. They dont do it until they get desperate.

Old
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Saltieri16
thespokedblog*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
The one constant frustration with the system the Bruins play is that any time the Bruins maintain possession in the offensive zone the point men remain static and very, very rarely rotate up and create scoring chances. They stay their points which is fine for the most part, but the Bruins need to find additional ways to generate scoring chances. With guys like Stuart, Chara, Mara and Alberts we have enough speed to take these chances every now and then.

Tonight is a bad example as we looked completely lost for 50+ minutes, but overall this is something I have a high frustration level with. Two games ago the BBS line dominated possession and presented several opportunities with the other team's 5 man unit gassed that these chances should be taken.

I totally agree with you here. I've noticed this in a few other games earlier this year too. It just always seems like other teams are breaking out of their zone far too easily on pucks thrown up the boards. On top of that we usually have a forward high in the zone that would prevent a lot of odd man rushes if the puck was chipped by a pinching D. I'm definitely not saying we should pinch all the time, because we don't have the speed for that, but in a game like tonight's, the pinching needed to start far earlier than it did. In my opinion this is definitely one way the Bruins could be better offensively.

Saltieri16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Disciple of Chezz

Quote:
Desperation...I remember back in my playing days the coach used to tell us to pretend that we were down 1-0 right at the start...dunno how u-14 applies to NHL hockey, but it might be worth a try...

Disciple of Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:48 PM
erfus

Quote:
I didn't see the entire game tonight, but it looked like they were playing a 1-man forecheck or a trap for the part I caught. The Kessel line was playing a "0-5" as Harry Sinden used to call it.

This is on Lewis to me. He is trying to take a team that is suddenly fully capable of playing an up-tempo game and forcing it to play his system. Mike Sullivan had this same exact problem identifying and adapting his style to his roster's strength IMO. It is frustrating.

Take the shackles off a little bit, and let the quick wingers who are out there do their thing. I know the goaltending has been spotty, and maybe that's what is forcing this, but even in their winning streak the team's been scoring something like 3.3 goals per game. Season-long, that's not horrible, but during a winning streak that's not overly impressive.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:04 AM
jahbrations

This team looks the best when they're on the attack. Tonight they very passive for the first two periods. This has to stop.

jahbrations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:32 AM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
To get more offense at ES, Lewis needs to first try giving guys like Tenkrat, Chistov and Kessel more ice time with different linemates.

Tenkrat has a lot of speed and energy out there and every time he's on the ice he's trying to impress. He's a pretty good puck handler and can open up a lot of ice in the offensive zone. He's got decent size too and it seems he's just waiting for his opportunity.

Chistov hasn't been all that impressive, but there have been flashes. It's obvious he has skill that can be developed with more ice time. I like his speed and stickhandling ability, but he can't seem to compensate for his lack of size. He gets pushed around a lot and need to get tougher.

Kessel intrigues me the most. I can't understand why Lewis doesn't use him more regularly. He's proven he can score in this league and be a threat. His defensive skills are much better than the scoring reports showed and he has the ability to make his linemates better.

Show some faith in those 3 and they might get some confidence and start producing. Give them 14-16 min ice time.

Chistov-Savard-Murray
Sturm-Bergeron-Tenkrat
Axelsson-Kessel-Boyes
Primeau-Mowers-Donovan

On defense, I would make a few changes too. Call up Mark Stuart and sit Dempsey or Jurcina. It's hard to decide between who sits, but I lean towards Dempsey.

Paul Mara is new whipping boy for the Bruins, but we have to remember that this guy is in his 9th NHL season. He knows how to play in the NHL, he's just has to remember how. I would move him back up with Chara and see if he can rediscover his game.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like Mark Stuart has been doing very well in Providence. He has 4 pts in 4 games and feels fully recovered from his knee injury. Give the kid a shot in the NHL and see if he can play as well as he did last season or better.

Alberts has been decent at times and he does throw some great hits, but he could really use less ice time. He needs to work on his puck handling and ability to clear the zone or make a pass.

Mara-Chara
Mark-Brad
Alberts-Jurcina

If this fails, than the Bruins can start making some trades

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:34 AM
Gary

I look no further then the Leafs. I like their train of thought for offense. If you don't think you have a clear passing lane get the puck on net. Have players without the puck drive the net. Simple. We got too many plays broken up because of trying to be too fancy. Trying to make the "tic-tac" play. We're playing on the perimeter far too much. Take the play to the net. If you just crossed the blueline without the puck-Go2Net.com

What else does this do? Watch a Leafs game. They're on the PP every bloody time I tune into them. Cause they drive the net, cause havoc, and force the opposition into stupid penalties. More PP's can't be bad can it? Unless you judge tonights game.

Last edited by Gary: 11-21-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Ortdogg

id like to see the BBS line Broken up, obviously they arent gonna repeat what they did last year. id move boyes down, or sit him if he is truly injured, and id put tenkrat with bergeron and sturm, i think he looks dangerous any time hes out there. the only line i wouldnt touch is savy muzz and axe. thats the only line working night after night.

Ortdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Jeff from Maine

A Few Things

A few thoughts...

1. NONE of these forwards have what it takes to play in the slot. We have nobody who can occupy a d-man and harrass the netminder. We get very few of those deflection goals that other teams routinely get. Our best offensive players are perimeter players, and if you dont have an accurate shot, you wont score consistently from those areas.

2. Shots are fine, but you gotta have accuracy. Muzz is our only true sniper. Bergern shoots a ton, but is awful in terms of accuracy, and he plays the perimter unless sneaking backdoor on the PP. And since we dont have a crease presence, the rebounds he creates are not converted.

3. As someone else said, they try to be fancy when they shouldnt. The top line is guilty of that to a large degree. They are always looking to set up the empty net on odd mans, and wont rip a good shot from 20 out.

4. More transition is needed....simply put, the Bergeron and Kessel lines need to skate.

Later

Jeff from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 06:46 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:

I agree that we need to take chances offensively. Guys like Chara need to pinch in offensively seeing as we lack that big power forward type in front of the net. You don't want to see Chara caught up ice too often, but if the opportunity is there, he should take it from time to time.I think our forwards are all too smallish to get in front and cause any activity in front of the goalie. Put a Tkachuk-like winger with Bergeron and Boyes and I think you'd see much better results E.S. (not that there is much E.S. play these days)

I think a lot of our offensive woes are due to our forwards as a group being too small and not nearly physical enough.

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Bruwinz37

I agree with those who point to having a big body to create traffic in front of the goalie as a part of the problem. I just would like to see a rotation used where if the puck is dumped into the left corner the LW and the LD could apply pressure (if the timing was right of course) the RD could cover LD and RW covers RD. I am not advocating reckless abandon, but other teams use their defense to create opportunities in the offensive zone much more often than we do. To me this is even a bigger issue on the PP where I would really like to see the D sneak in for additional opportunities. It would free up the other point man without having a guy in his face. Right now they play very aggressively on our points because they know they are fairly stationary.