HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

If a goalie is pulled can he go back in while play is still on?

Old
11-17-2006, 10:40 AM
TomWaits

vCash: 500
If a goalie is pulled can he go back in while play is still on?

we had a situation in our league game - we were down by two goals with approx 5 minutes left. The other team got back-to-back penalties putting us in a 5 on 3 situation. We pulled the goalie creating a 6-3 power play. Of course we didn't score then one penality expired then the next so we were in a 6-5 situation but couldn't get a whisle.

Could we put the goalie back in while play was running assuming that the extra skater came off?

Thanks

TomWaits

PS - we lost the game 5-1 LOL

TomWaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Gino 14

What rules do you play by?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits View Post
we had a situation in our league game - we were down by two goals with approx 5 minutes left. The other team got back-to-back penalties putting us in a 5 on 3 situation. We pulled the goalie creating a 6-3 power play. Of course we didn't score then one penality expired then the next so we were in a 6-5 situation but couldn't get a whisle.

Could we put the goalie back in while play was running assuming that the extra skater came off?

Thanks

TomWaits

As I understand the rules, each team is allowed 6 players on the ice including the goalie (unless one is in the penalty box). The goalie can come off the ice to be replaced by another skater. When the goalie goes back on the ice the extra skater comes off. I don't know of anything that would prevent this from happening.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaits View Post

Thanks

TomWaits

Like a change on the fly, except the goalie comes back out?

I've always assumed that this was illegal, but I would be curious to know the actual ruling.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:12 PM
12# Peter Bondra

It is allowed. I remember how once JS Aubin in PIT was scrambling back into net to not get a EN goal scored on by LeClair but he failed. So I think it is legal.

12# Peter Bondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 04:51 PM
MikeD

Yes, it would be a change on the fly but many refs will not give the leeway on distances. The player coming off had better be right there at the bench or risk a bench minor for TMM.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 07:16 PM
FLYLine27
BrassGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Yes, it would be a change on the fly but many refs will not give the leeway on distances. The player coming off had better be right there at the bench or risk a bench minor for TMM.
They won't call a TMM on the ice penalty but they will call an illegal substitution(called a "premature substitution") if the goalie/player leaves before the player/goalie gets to the bench. That would be a face off at center ice when the team who committed the illegal substitution gains possession of the puck.

That is USA Hockey Rules and NCAA rules. I assume most leagues use this as well.

NHL though would call TMM since they don't have illegal substitution rule and its just a Too many men penalty.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
They won't call a TMM on the ice penalty but they will call an illegal substitution(called a "premature substitution") if the goalie/player leaves before the player/goalie gets to the bench. That would be a face off at center ice when the team who committed the illegal substitution gains possession of the puck.

That is USA Hockey Rules and NCAA rules. I assume most leagues use this as well.

NHL though would call TMM since they don't have illegal substitution rule and its just a Too many men penalty.

You guys just blew my mind... I had always assumed it was illegal - could be a good way to win a beer in the bar.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
What happens if your goalie doesn't show up to a game, you play with 6 skaters and it's a tie game that goes to a shootout?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
ArchieIsGod

i know in our roller hockey league that it is illegal and the refs make you wait for a whistle...it happened a few times when one of the goalies didnt show up on time, and usually the team the that has their goalie will put the puck out of play to get the stoppage...no one wants to play against an open net in a beer league

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Everest

Same thing under Hockey Canada rules. Goalie can change on the fly,not only with a player...but the substitute keeper as well!
I remember playing Midget Hockey we were blowing a team out and they got th epuck into our zone and while we were watching things in our own end of the rink a big cheer went up...we couldn't figure out what the heck happened and then on the next stoppage it dawned on us...they changed their goalies on the fly.
Good for a laugh....

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

When Scotty Bowman was coaching the Pens, one game he decided to change his goalies Warren Young and Ken Wregget every five minutes. It was a meaningless game, the Penguins were secure in the playoffs and couldn't gain or drop any place in the standings, and he'd heard a team did the same thing in their final regular season game years before and went onto win the Cup.

Warren Young decided to take it one step further by changing with Wregget on the fly (without telling Scotty Bowman). He told his teammates if they threw in some money, he'd do it. When they didn't believe him, he upped the ante by saying as he skated on and Wregget skated off, as they crossed they'd give each other a high five, a low five, then Young would moonwalk back into the crease.

During one change, Wregget caught his pad on the edge of the boards and went *** over head.

The Penguins got drilled 7-1.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 07:10 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
What happens if your goalie doesn't show up to a game, you play with 6 skaters and it's a tie game that goes to a shootout?

Good luck in ever getting a tie in regulation with out a netminder but if it were to happen I would imagine you could choose any one from the roster to fill the net for the shoot out. In USA, I believe there would be a disqualification due to insufficient/unsafe equipment. Might be a league by league thing? A player not wearing a Chest protector may not defend a penalty shot or shoot out situation.

My youngest played all but about 4 minutes of one game filling net but had suited up as a Defenseman. House league where he faced a team that had the core 5 kids from his travel team in Olean, NY. With just a glove, blocker and stick he fended off 27 shots to win the game 2-1. The lone goal they scored was on the original goalie who was injured in the play. Squirt minor so at least the shot speeds were low.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 11:33 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
In USA, I believe there would be a disqualification due to insufficient/unsafe equipment. Might be a league by league thing? A player not wearing a Chest protector may not defend a penalty shot or shoot out situation.

Believe it or not, USAH doesn't have any requirements for goalie protective equipment except for a helmet, no requirements for anything else. The helment doesn't even have to be a goalie helmet. As for bringing a player off the bench for a shootout, he could not wear any goalie equipment and would not be able to catch and hold any shots or cover any pucks in the crease.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote