HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Not a fan of the Western Conference

Old
11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Not a fan of the Western Conference

As my heading would indicate you can tell that I have never been a fan of the Western Conference. Call it a lack of exposure due to geographic location or whatever the case may be. I have always felt this way and I'm finally speaking out about it . As a Canadian I can't even find it in my heart to cheer for the Oilers run last season. I was trying to muster up some reason as to why I should cheer the Oilers on, but couldn't find it. My Montreal Canadiens play for the Eastern Conference and I guess you can say that is where my partiality begins. As much as I hated Carolina for beating our Habs last year I found myself cheering for them, secretly vs the Oilers. My motives are due to all the "West is Best" attitudes out there, referring to the Western Conference always having the stronger teams. Instead of Carolina last year, I really wanted Buffalo to meet Edmonton, but we all know what happened.

I'm a Habs fan and a hockey fan. After Montreal is eliminated I just want to see good hockey and I pick my teams impartially.

I believe the Eastern Conference is winning the head to heads vs the West despite the constant talk, once again, about the stronger teams being in the West.

There you have it. A deep dark secret. Oooooooo!

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Souray44

BLASPHEMY!

The Hurricanes?

Good god man.

Honestly though, good for you for having the ability to be impartial. I was seeing red the whole playoffs and hoping that ugly mofo Brind'Amour never got his grubby hands on the cup.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:53 PM
Phousse

I'm more a fan of Eastern play, biased obviously, but I do enjoy watch the West play. Since we only see 10/15 of their teams a year now, they seem almost exotic.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:11 AM
znk

A few years back the best hockey was in the west. I also always liked watching games from Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary on CBC. The buildings have great lighting and the ice is a nice crisp white. I still like watching the odd western game but the Canucks lost alot of their luster and Calgary is kind of boring. I dont see many other games but Nashville, SJ, Anaheim and Minisota, Detroit among others look like interesting teams to watch.
I was pushing for Edmonton last year...I always had a sweet spot for them. I guess if you dont identify to them its probably because you never watch the 2nd game on saterday nights.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Why? Because we play defense?

The East is obviously much more wide-open and high scoring, but the West has most of the elite teams in the league, and championships are won by defense and goaltending, not offense (like the Sharks found out last season).

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:17 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Wilson View Post
championships are won by defense and goaltending, not offense (like the Sharks found out last season).
There are obviously lots of examples of that... but most recently, the Hurricanes were the worst defensive team admitted to the NHL playoffs. The Lightning based their game strategy around risk... and a goalie who hasn't had a truly great season in 5 years. Uncle Darryl, although he apparently invented playoff hockey (based on the many stories I heard throughout the lockout), hasn't led any team to anything.

trentmccleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 01:22 AM
bayrider

Quote:

The East is obviously much more wide-open and high scoring, but the West has most of the elite teams in the league, and championships are won by defense and goaltending, not offense (like the Sharks found out last season).
I find the Western Conf to be more technical. A lot of passing, pretty fast, and as a result more open.

I love watching the Sharks and Ducks play, and I always try to catch them on Center Ice whenever they're playing.

That being said, tomorrow night is going to be an inredible game (Ducks vs Sharks). I'll be tuned into that for sure.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
As my heading would indicate you can tell that I have never been a fan of the Western Conference. Call it a lack of exposure due to geographic location or whatever the case may be. I have always felt this way and I'm finally speaking out about it . As a Canadian I can't even find it in my heart to cheer for the Oilers run last season. I was trying to muster up some reason as to why I should cheer the Oilers on, but couldn't find it. My Montreal Canadiens play for the Eastern Conference and I guess you can say that is where my partiality begins. As much as I hated Carolina for beating our Habs last year I found myself cheering for them, secretly vs the Oilers. My motives are due to all the "West is Best" attitudes out there, referring to the Western Conference always having the stronger teams. Instead of Carolina last year, I really wanted Buffalo to meet Edmonton, but we all know what happened.

I'm a Habs fan and a hockey fan. After Montreal is eliminated I just want to see good hockey and I pick my teams impartially.

I believe the Eastern Conference is winning the head to heads vs the West despite the constant talk, once again, about the stronger teams being in the West.

There you have it. A deep dark secret. Oooooooo!
I cant speak for the east but out here in the west, there's extreme opposition against this imbalanced sced.

You cant imagine what a special night it is in Vancouver when an original 6 team comes to town particularly the habs or leafs. There's an extra buzz on the streets and in the building.

Plus, some of the future mega superstars like crosby, ovechkin, and malkin play in the east. The westerners dont like that either and rightfully so. Just imagine if you had to go 3 years without seeing these guys in your rink

Again, I cant speak for the eastern conference and how they feel towards the west but I can tell you that the west loves to see the east come to town.

Personally, I hate it too. As a hab fan in Vancouver, I cant see them play in person until 2009??? Gimme a break. The large habs fanbase in BC is getting the short end of the stick for sure.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:24 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
A few years back the best hockey was in the west. I also always liked watching games from Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary on CBC. The buildings have great lighting and the ice is a nice crisp white. I still like watching the odd western game but the Canucks lost alot of their luster and Calgary is kind of boring. I dont see many other games but Nashville, SJ, Anaheim and Minisota, Detroit among others look like interesting teams to watch.
I was pushing for Edmonton last year...I always had a sweet spot for them. I guess if you dont identify to them its probably because you never watch the 2nd game on saterday nights.
You're actually right. I don't watch the double header on Hockey Night In Toronto. I have completely eliminated CBC HNIC from my tv viewing agenda. I watch the Montreal Canadiens on TVU (the web) when available since SRC Sports no longer carries the Habs on Saturday Nights.

I guess you can say the West doesn't affect anything the Habs do in terms of standings, nor are the Habs competing with them in the standings as the West is irrelevant to the East as far as I'm concerned. There is no incentive for me to follow Western Conference games, although there has always been a lure for me when Coloardo is playing maybe because of the several connections it has had with Montreal in the past. Coincidentally, I live in Windsor, Ontario where I'm across the river from Detroit. Heck, the Red Wings don't excite me although I have tickets to watch them play my Habs for the first time in around 5 years on Jan 15th. I can't wait.

Old
11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I like the west, there's a lot of rough hockey played there. Watching the Sharks and the Ducks play is a thing of beauty. Theres a lot of competition, Dallas is still a top dog and there are teams that are making a rise to the top.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 12:28 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:

What do you consider an elite team? This is what I always hear about the West having these elite teams. Would you not have considered the strong New Jersey and Philadelphia teams the East had as elite teams? Coincidentally, the East holds bragging rights to the last 3 Stanley Cups.

Here's a Western Conference playoff stat for you: The Stanley Cup finalists from the Western Conference the last 3 seasons all had one thing in common. They all upset Detroit in the first round of the playoffs.

Old
11-21-2006, 01:27 PM
nilan30

The best hockey to watch is definitely the Western Conference. On any given night if you have Centre Ice, watch how much faster the pace of the games are--post 10 PM. Faster, harder hitting, and more intense ie. fights. Of course it'll never be as emotional as watching the Habs play but it is better hockey. On a side note, it seems to me that the Habs-Leafs games this season have been 3 of the worst hockey games I've watched post lockout. (Not including the OTs).

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 02:25 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

That's why Gainey signed Samsonov instead of a competent defenseman...

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
The best hockey to watch is definitely the Western Conference. On any given night if you have Centre Ice, watch how much faster the pace of the games are--post 10 PM. Faster, harder hitting, and more intense ie. fights. Of course it'll never be as emotional as watching the Habs play but it is better hockey. On a side note, it seems to me that the Habs-Leafs games this season have been 3 of the worst hockey games I've watched post lockout. (Not including the OTs).
i think its starting to even out now. the western conference playoff teams have very similar pt totals to the east now. does anyone no the head to head records? the west may have the edge by a little but its not close to how its been or how the AL dominates over the NL now in baseball.

its weird how in the past few years the west has been so clearly dominant but the stanley cup final has been won more frequently by the eastern conference and this season the AL won interleague play by a landslide but lost the World Series.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote