HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Game Report Card

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Post Game Report Card

This was one of the most embarrassing efforts of the night - that is clear to everyone that watched. I can understand that back to back road games against teams that are playing well can make for a tough road trip, but the Oilers managed to lay an egg on both evenings. It is clear that the Heritage Hangover is in full effect and unless something changes really quick things are looking grim just a week after a real breakout by the team.

After the dissapointing loss to Montreal and the fortunate tie in Columbus, the Oilers players really came out flat in every end of the rink tonight. Here is how I saw the performances of some of the notable and visible players (both negatively and positively):

Good Efforts:

Ty Conklin - he was the best Oiler on the ice and he still let in 5 goals (4 tap ins and one of the post and in). He made acrobatic saves and left the game down 5-1 when it really should have been 8 or 9 to 1. his players left him hung out to dry and really didn't battle hard enough for their netminder. Good effort - but no help.

Decent Efforts:

York-Dvorak-Torres - easily the best Oilers line again tonight which isn't really saying that much. Dvorak scored the only goal and the line worked hard and produced other decent chances. Bad penalty by Dvo led to the back breaking goal, but for the most part they worked hard and accomplished modest results.

Salmaleinen - in limited ice I thought he looked very energized and created several dangerous rushes. Got very unlucky with the puck bouncing several times during good plays resulting in little threat for the Wings. Solid effort considering his linemates and their ability to do anything.

Semenov - as aweful as the defense was this evening I thought he played well considering his circumstances of late. He even dropped his gloves and looked like he had some emotion!!

Poor (Being Kind):

Cross - looked even slower than ussual (as difficult as that might be to believe). Very sluggish, many turnovers, beat to every puck. Ugliest play in history on the second Wings goal with 19 seconds remaining in the first, really killed any hope of competing.

Staios: looked lost at times. With the loss of Brewer extra pressure placed on the #1 defensive unit and they didn't succeed. Very poor game from both Staios and Gator.

Chimera - absolutely invisible. Sounding like a broken record. Last year he was extremely productive in limited action - he has done nothing in a while now.

Aweful:

Horcoff - what can I say, he was incredibly bad all game long. Like the other centermen lost every faceoff, continues to skate himself into trouble when it looks as though he is free and clear. Tough to see Horcoff in the lineup with Oates and Reasoner back.

Smyth - mind boggling. He continues to dissapoint. It looked as though he was regaining confidence and beginning to play much better. Unfortunately another bad outing, and no not because of Pisani or Moreau. Brutal one the draws and incredibly poor decision making with the puck. More of those waist high passes and blindly thrown feeds into the slot heading back the other way. Now the the main men on the club have been dealt (Guerin, Weight, Carter, and the sitting Comrie) Smyth really looks lost, at both ends of the rink.

I understand it was just three games ago that everything was peachy - but in the Western Conference three games of drought can take a team from 4th overall to 13th. Everyone is playing better and points squadered will come back to bite. Moreover, Colorado is in town Friday. These are the games that start long winless skids (look at every season for the past few). Some of these guys need to remember they can easily be replaced.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:51 PM
bfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Aweful:

Horcoff - what can I say, he was incredibly bad all game long. Like the other centermen lost every faceoff, continues to skate himself into trouble when it looks as though he is free and clear. Tough to see Horcoff in the lineup with Oates and Reasoner back.
You know I understand being critical of him because he has had a tough start to the season, but you've got to be looking at every minute mistake he made because he had a pretty good night considering. Got into the offensive zone, one of the few Oilers who had the balls to block shots. Played on the PK successfully and playing with Chimera and Salmo, a poor defensive line if I've ever seen one.

Yeah, he's not playing well but don't call him out in a game where he was one of the better players.

BTW, he was one of the top faceoff guys in a terrible night for the Oilers. 7/8 I believe.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I think you gatta cut some slack towards Smyth. He's never played Center before and he's trying to fill a void right now. Once we have Oates and Reasoner back and we can put Smyth on the wing again he should be fine.

SM

Old
11-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan
BTW, he was one of the top faceoff guys in a terrible night for the Oilers. 7/8 I believe.
7/15. Sadly, though, still one of the better faceoff guys.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:35 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
This was one of the most embarrassing efforts of the night - that is clear to everyone that watched. I can understand that back to back road games against teams that are playing well can make for a tough road trip, but the Oilers managed to lay an egg on both evenings. It is clear that the Heritage Hangover is in full effect and unless something changes really quick things are looking grim just a week after a real breakout by the team.

After the dissapointing loss to Montreal and the fortunate tie in Columbus, the Oilers players really came out flat in every end of the rink tonight. Here is how I saw the performances of some of the notable and visible players (both negatively and positively):

Good Efforts:

Ty Conklin - he was the best Oiler on the ice and he still let in 5 goals (4 tap ins and one of the post and in). He made acrobatic saves and left the game down 5-1 when it really should have been 8 or 9 to 1. his players left him hung out to dry and really didn't battle hard enough for their netminder. Good effort - but no help.

Decent Efforts:

York-Dvorak-Torres - easily the best Oilers line again tonight which isn't really saying that much. Dvorak scored the only goal and the line worked hard and produced other decent chances. Bad penalty by Dvo led to the back breaking goal, but for the most part they worked hard and accomplished modest results.

Salmaleinen - in limited ice I thought he looked very energized and created several dangerous rushes. Got very unlucky with the puck bouncing several times during good plays resulting in little threat for the Wings. Solid effort considering his linemates and their ability to do anything.

Semenov - as aweful as the defense was this evening I thought he played well considering his circumstances of late. He even dropped his gloves and looked like he had some emotion!!

Poor (Being Kind):

Cross - looked even slower than ussual (as difficult as that might be to believe). Very sluggish, many turnovers, beat to every puck. Ugliest play in history on the second Wings goal with 19 seconds remaining in the first, really killed any hope of competing.

Staios: looked lost at times. With the loss of Brewer extra pressure placed on the #1 defensive unit and they didn't succeed. Very poor game from both Staios and Gator.

Chimera - absolutely invisible. Sounding like a broken record. Last year he was extremely productive in limited action - he has done nothing in a while now.

Aweful:

Smyth - mind boggling. He continues to dissapoint. It looked as though he was regaining confidence and beginning to play much better. Unfortunately another bad outing, and no not because of Pisani or Moreau. Brutal one the draws and incredibly poor decision making with the puck. More of those waist high passes and blindly thrown feeds into the slot heading back the other way. Now the the main men on the club have been dealt (Guerin, Weight, Carter, and the sitting Comrie) Smyth really looks lost, at both ends of the rink.

I understand it was just three games ago that everything was peachy - but in the Western Conference three games of drought can take a team from 4th overall to 13th. Everyone is playing better and points squadered will come back to bite. Moreover, Colorado is in town Friday. These are the games that start long winless skids (look at every season for the past few). Some of these guys need to remember they can easily be replaced.
I thought Horcoff was probably the best oiler today other than Conks. I seemed to notice him in a positive way whereas alot of the guys seemed to dissappear. I don't mind you ripping on Horcoff when he deserves it, but horcoff was a shiney penny in the dirt tonight.

Old
11-26-2003, 09:35 PM
bfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
7/15. Sadly, though, still one of the better faceoff guys.
Sorry, that's what I meant. But still something he definitely needs to work on.

Closed Thread