HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

TSN: Muckler trying to move Gerber (merged)

Old
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Johne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
i really hope Gerber plays well for his sake and the teams.

i also hope he plays well so I can say I told you so. Oh that's right, I told you so. Childish and immature, but boy would it make me feel good.
i thought gerber was a great signing. and i continued to back him for a while, but some of those goals...lets just say i changed my mind. i hope eventually i'm wrong or hes traded.

Johne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensR4real View Post
you must be joking, this guy was a ROOKIE last year and performed well despite that.... This is Emery's 2nd full season and he learned a lot from the playoffs last year. There is fire in his eyes, he's for real...
Well considering all of the qualifiers in your post excusing his performance, I'll assume that you thought it was bad too.
Again, it's great that Emery has played so well over a whopping 10 games. I just feel we've been burned before and we need a platoon style goaltending situation because neither of our goalies inspire much confidence.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnak View Post
So you're saying that Gerber is the next Kiprusoff? Not sure where you get that... Gerber is already 31 (or 32?), has been a back-up for 4-5 seasons now without ever showing signs that he could break out as the #1 goaltender anywhere, and when finally given the chance of being the #1 goaltender last season in Carolina, he didn't do anything extraordinary, and in fact, lost his #1 spot to a rookie before the season had even ended.

Suter saw something in Kiprusoff and boy was he ever RIGHT... Muckler (or Murray) saw something in Gerber, and boy were they WRONG!
Don't put words onto my mouth! trentmccleary understood my argument, why can't you?

Give Gerber a chance.

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:19 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Well considering all of the qualifiers in your post excusing his performance, I'll assume that you thought it was bad too.
Again, it's great that Emery has played so well over a whopping 10 games. I just feel we've been burned before and we need a platoon style goaltending situation because neither of our goalies inspire much confidence.

I totally agree with you. I agree Emery has been playing well, but all goalies go through slumps. we need 2 of them.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Shnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
Give Gerber a chance.
When you sign a goaltender to a ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS contract, it better be more of a sure thing than a roll of the dice.

I'm not blaming Gerber for sucking (ok, for being less than average), because IMO, that's all he's been all his career. I'm blaming it all on Muckler... not for bringing Gerber, but for bringing him at close to twice too much money, and for signing him long-term.

Muckler felt bad about losing out on Roloson and Weight last season, so he thought he wouldn't lose Gerber this time... so he decided to outpay for him... well congrats Muckler! You got him!

Shnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:27 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Muckler felt bad about losing out on Roloson and Weight last season, so he thought he wouldn't lose Gerber this time... so he decided to outpay for him... well congrats Muckler! You got him!

Yes, he won out over Detroit... so Detroit took Hasek. Do you remember him?
Well, I do and at this point... what our goalies are doing in November really doesn't matter to me.

Old
11-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Brandi

Papa .. you your quote will be my new autosig..

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhizome View Post
Gerber's play should be put in context against his colleague Cam Ward, who had these numbers:
3.68 882

Now compared to Ward's, Gerber looks pretty decent. I think this product of the system theory is inaccurate. Carolina did have a high powered offense, but they also left out there goalies to dry with an aggressive style. Gerber and Ward did have to make several big stops a game.

Gerber may be the biggest UFA bust of them all. At this stage, it is looking that way, but I won't write him off yet.
I guess I'm debating why anyone thought Gerber would come into Ottawa and be a good goaltender. Other than the Olympics, nothing he's done really predicted that sort of achievement.

Nothing predicted he'd **** the bed either.... so it was kind of 50/50.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
I guess I'm debating why anyone thought Gerber would come into Ottawa and be a good goaltender. Other than the Olympics, nothing he's done really predicted that sort of achievement.
I thought he would be a good goaltender, and still do. He played decent at the start of the year and then played progressively worse as the team sucked around him.

He needs to work on his fundamentals and confidence in practice and then get in a few good games before he's back to being steady (but not spectacular). I have every confidence that the team will regain their faith in him. Just look at how the team feels about Emery now, compared to the Buffalo series.

One other thing, the Morons on the Team1200 brought up an interesting point yesterday. Gerber is working in new equipment and has been having issues with it. If he is not comfortable with his equipment then that probably magnifies any other issues (technical or confidence-wise) that he has.

Give it time.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 02:46 PM
trentmccleary

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=gerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
I found gerber to streaky in a good way. he got on a roll and was on fire for as many as 10 games at a time. he would hit a wall, and get shelled.... at that point Cam Ward got a few starts until he would get shelled the same way and gerber would get back in and work his way into roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacGirl12
*Remebers 9-0 loss to Atlanta after 9 game winning streak.....*

Old
11-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Shnak

I think they have a different definition of what a goalie on a roll is than mine... I mean, he had average stats at best last season... .906 SV%? 2.9 GAA? That's quite a roll there.

Shnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Papa Lazarou*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Papa .. you your quote will be my new autosig..
Cool! I feel famous with all these quotes.

Silver Cup quoted me once, "don't feed silvercup any men".

Someone else quoted me as well, "I wanna see regular season Sens in the playoffs not playoff Sens in the regular season".

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
Cool! I feel famous with all these quotes.

Silver Cup quoted me once, "don't feed silvercup any men".

Someone else quoted me as well, "I wanna see regular season Sens in the playoffs not playoff Sens in the regular season".

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Yes, he won out over Detroit... so Detroit took Hasek. Do you remember him?
Well, I do and at this point... what our goalies are doing in November really doesn't matter to me.
If we had picked up Hasek again we would have had 2.5 mil more for our offence. Lets say there is a 30% chance that he plays in the post-season. Would you prefer to take that chance, with Emery as a back-up and the extra money up front or what we have now? I would take the former.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:07 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
I think they have a different definition of what a goalie on a roll is than mine... I mean, he had average stats at best last season... .906 SV%? 2.9 GAA? That's quite a roll there.
Do you intentionally try to be that ignorant?
The quotes are obviously talking about stretches of games, not the season as whole... stretches of games that seem to either go very badly or very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002
If we had picked up Hasek again we would have had 2.5 mil more for our offence. Lets say there is a 30% chance that he plays in the post-season. Would you prefer to take that chance, with Emery as a back-up and the extra money up front or what we have now? I would take the former.
I would hate to see Hasek behind our defense atm. Detroit's defense appaears to be covering up for his age this season. Gerber's facing 11.5 more shots per 60 minutes than Hasek. Hasek has a .904 SV% and taking 31.3 shots instead of 19.9 would pretty kill that 1.92 avg.

The money would be nice, but I'm starting to doubt whether Hasek would start over Emery.

Old
11-22-2006, 04:10 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002 View Post
I'd still take the latter. Two average goalies is better than one average goalie and a guy on IR for 3 months.

Besides, it was pretty clear Hasek was a pariah in the locker room. After last season, I don't think the players would want him back.

Hasek is dead to me.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:11 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by champben2002 View Post
The team did not want Hasek back. The players were begging him to play in the plaoffs and he rejected.It could have led to some real bad dressing room problems this year.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:36 PM
hoppy
EK65

Send a message via MSN to hoppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
Carolina's success had to do with a high-scoring offense, not great goaltending. Perhaps Muckler saw a Fuhr-like quality in Gerber, but Gerber's inability to make the "big save" this year has been very un-Fuhr-like.

And the goaltending stats were inflated through Laviolette's collapsing D.
Regardless of their talent, he had them working magic around the net.

How he managed that shutout against Canada in the Olympics is the only thing that's working for me.
I mean, it was in front of a team made of Swiss Cheese.

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:52 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Gerbers last year stats by month

October .913 SV% roll
November .922 SV% roll
December .896 SV% bad
January .913 SV% roll
February .857 SV% bad
March .923 SV% roll
April .876 SV% bad

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Tony_S*

To sum this up, Gerber sucks.....

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Kruky

What some of you fail to realize is that even tough Gerber would win a few match and make his value go up a little bit. There are many teams who currently have a 1A and 1B goalies

Anaheim Gigučre/Bryzgolov (spelling)
Montreal huet/Abby (Abby would leave)
SanJose Nabakov/Toskala

Bryzgolov, Abby and Toskala are all cheaper, better and younger then Gerber. There's probably a few more too.

For people who wants Gerber traded, forget it. Other teams will have better choices/options then Gerber.

For people who want to give another chance to Gerber, forget it. He's just not tradable and your stuck with him, so you don't have a choice to give him another chance however I think he won't get it because Emery is #1 for now and will only lose his spot if he bombs too (which I doubt). The only time Gerber will get another chance is when Emery signs somewhere else because you can't afford him or he's better trade value and you manage to trade him (which would be stupid).

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:41 PM
OttawaGM

This whole non-sense about Gerber is rediculous. I watched every game and so what if he gave up a goal once in a while. He normally kept the team in the game when they were playing horribly and then when they finally got around to turning it on he would let in a bad goal.

Gerber is a good goalie and I wouldn't trade him for anything but good value.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:42 PM
DEATHtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky View Post
What some of you fail to realize is that even tough Gerber would win a few match and make his value go up a little bit. There are many teams who currently have a 1A and 1B goalies

Anaheim Gigučre/Bryzgolov (spelling)
Montreal huet/Abby (Abby would leave)
SanJose Nabakov/Toskala

Bryzgolov, Abby and Toskala are all cheaper, better and younger then Gerber. There's probably a few more too.

For people who wants Gerber traded, forget it. Other teams will have better choices/options then Gerber.

For people who want to give another chance to Gerber, forget it. He's just not tradable and your stuck with him, so you don't have a choice to give him another chance however I think he won't get it because Emery is #1 for now and will only lose his spot if he bombs too (which I doubt). The only time Gerber will get another chance is when Emery signs somewhere else because you can't afford him or he's better trade value and you manage to trade him (which would be stupid).
If the sens were willing to give Gerber away for a bag of pucks, it may increase the interest around the league. The other goaltenders involved would require quite a package to get their services.

DEATHtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:45 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Its about making the saves when you need to make then and Gerber did that last year. Look at some game tapes of Grant Fuhr, if he let in 5 goals then that was fine because when the Oilers could not allow that 6th goal, Fuhr stood on his head. Gerber was the same way last season. Numbers meen little in your argument.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2006, 05:53 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
When you sign a goaltender to a ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS contract, it better be more of a sure thing than a roll of the dice.
You can't really blame him, Muckler thought he was securing a #1 goaltender, or possibly a 1a/1b tandem with Emery. Muckler was in competition with other GM's for his services, so in a buyer's market, you're obviously going to have to overpay. Gerber was forced to play at a time when he couldn't be pulled, so obviously his confidence was in the ditch. Im willing to give him a second chance to improve which he will undoubtedly do now that the team in front of him has some confidence..

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote